PDA

View Full Version : Great Article

DOMIN8R
03-27-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/blog/post/204032

Thank god, if true. If PB and the FO can make a policy change that propels the franchise into the age of the Internet, then we can finally begin ignoring paper and television media like they have ignored our team and our league. I only read online media. The monopoly that is the Canadian Press (in particular newsprint) is so archaic that it is becoming less relevant by the minute.

Mods please make change to thread title to reflect content. Sorry about that.

mr k
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to ignore newspapers and wish for their demise - most of the best stuff on the web is from newspapers. As David Simon (creator of the consensus viewed best American tv show in history - The Wire) said in an article about his investigation on a police shooting in Baltimore:

There is a lot of talk nowadays about what will replace the dinosaur that is the daily newspaper. So-called citizen journalists and bloggers and media pundits have lined up to tell us that newspapers are dying but that the news business will endure, that this moment is less tragic than it is transformational.

Well, sorry, but I didn't trip over any blogger trying to find out McKissick's identity and performance history. Nor were any citizen journalists at the City Council hearing in January when police officials inflated the nature and severity of the threats against officers. And there wasn't anyone working sources in the police department to counterbalance all of the spin or omission.

I didn't trip over a herd of hungry Sun reporters either, but that's the point. In an American city, a police officer with the authority to take human life can now do so in the shadows, while his higher-ups can claim that this is necessary not to avoid public accountability, but to mitigate against a nonexistent wave of threats. And the last remaining daily newspaper in town no longer has the manpower, the expertise or the institutional memory to challenge any of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022703591_pf.html