PDA

View Full Version : Watch or Wait?

nimamalek
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I think i'm going to wait and hope I dont find out until the game plays on the tele

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
then don't come to Joe's because there will be no way to avoid seeing the look on our faces* after the game is done live.

*could be smiles, could be scowls.

James Oliphant
03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Why would you wait? If there's a live option (which there is), why wouldn't you take that?

sulfur
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
But if you want to come to Joe's... show up by 4pm :)

nimamalek
03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I dont know any other pubs besides Joe's that are showing it live, so if you want to watch at a pub and cant get to Joe's you have to wait for the replay.

flatpicker
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I'll be heading to Joe's

Obviously I wish we were watching a live televised broadcast... but interets stream will have to do.

dupont
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
So this is 100% confirmed for Joe's right? Like are you getting the stream from MLS and they confirmed it won't be blacked out?
Sorry to triple check but Joe's is kind of out of the way for me but if I can watch the game live there with a bunch of TFC fans then I will gladly come down!

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 09:26 AM
So this is 100% confirmed for Joe's right? Like are you getting the stream from MLS and they confirmed it won't be blacked out?
Sorry to triple check but Joe's is kind of out of the way for me but if I can watch the game live there with a bunch of TFC fans then I will gladly come down!

it's almost all set up.
The main Toronto FC site says that the game will be streamed, and they'd know about any blackouts.

and worst case scenario.... just wait around and watch it on the tape delay.

GabrielHurl
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Ireland - Bulgaria is live at 3:45pm in a WC qualifier - I'll be watching that - then waiting to see the game on tape delay

JDG
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Ireland - Bulgaria is live at 3:45pm in a WC qualifier - I'll be watching that - then waiting to see the game on tape delay

That's the perfect solution for a good Irish Lad like yourself, but you wouldn't come by Joe's to watch it anyway would you?

Pachuco
03-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Why would you wait? If there's a live option (which there is), why wouldn't you take that?

Simple. I want to get the best experience possible from watching the game. To me, a shitty internet stream isn't the best experience. I'm going to give the new 800K streams from Match Center a try on my 52" LCD. If it don't look good, I'll be watching the game on GoalTV's replay for the first time.

Don Julio
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
11:00am Wales vs Finland

12:30pm England vs Slovakia (http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/68602/england-vs-slovakia/)
4:45pm Portugal vs Sweden (http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/68620/portugal-vs-sweden/)
7:00pm TFC / Crew (tape delay)

I'm grateful for the delay for once!

JDG
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Simple. I want to get the best experience possible from watching the game. To me, a shitty internet stream isn't the best experience. I'm going to give the new 800K streams from Match Center a try on my 52" LCD. If it don't look good, I'll be watching the game on GoalTV's replay for the first time.

You're assuming that we're not showing the Match Centre feed because.... :noidea:

Brooker
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
this is the one good thing about TFC not being very popular. It's a pretty safe bet I won't have the score ruined for me while waiting for the tape delay at night on GolTV.

just gotta stay away from here!

GabrielHurl
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
That's the perfect solution for a good Irish Lad like yourself, but you wouldn't come by Joe's to watch it anyway would you?

What do you mean by that?

nfitz
03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Why would you wait? If there's a live option (which there is), why wouldn't you take that?Because the quality if live streams is generally very poor.

Besides, who wants to watch a postage sized picture on a computer monitor, when they can sit in the rec-room a couple hours later in a comfy seat, with a beer. If you have no idea what happened, the experience is just the same.

Besides - I actually have to be out of town - so I won't be watching it until either midnight or Sunday morning - even if it was live; but were I around, it would be on tape delay. Though with a baby in the house, the game is seldom live, though often only a few minutes late on the PVR.

Pachuco
03-27-2009, 10:02 AM
You're assuming that we're not showing the Match Centre feed because.... :noidea:

Oh, mis-communication here. I'm talking about watching the stream at home or watching the goal tv replay at home. Going to Shoeless is not an option for me since my wife made plans and has people coming over. You can tell how good of a host I'm going to be tommorrow night :)

James Oliphant
03-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Because the quality if live streams is generally very poor.

Not at 800kbps they're not.

It should also be noted that I'm reading your post at a resolution of 1280x768 on my 47" HDTV. Ahh, the miracle of DVI cables... ;)

ExiledRed
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Because the quality if live streams is generally very poor.

The Kansas game looked pretty sharp on my monitor and there were no cutouts or jumps at all in the stream.

Watching live events online is going to be the future. TV companies are dinosaurs.

JDG
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
What do you mean by that?

In the last two years I only recall running into you at the Duke, and seeing you on video at the Rhino.
I'm at Joe's for every event, so if you were there, it's not likely I would have missed you, but not impossible.

GabrielHurl
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
In the last two years I only recall running into you at the Duke, and seeing you on video at the Rhino.
I'm at Joe's for every event, so if you were there, it's not likely I would have missed you, but not impossible.

Is Joe's the only place to watch TFC away games? Some people prefer watching it at home or at a bar that is close to wear they live.

The last 2 years I watched many of the games at home - or at TO Devil's place when we were having TIFO-making sessions.

Anyways - I hope you have a good turnout on Saturday - I'll be watching the games at Scallywags (like last weekend - where I watched it with 5/6 other RPB's)

JDG
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Is Joe's the only place to watch TFC away games? Some people prefer watching it at home or at a bar that is close to wear they live.

The last 2 years I watched many of the games at home - or at TO Devil's place when we were having TIFO-making sessions.

Anyways - I hope you have a good turnout on Saturday - I'll be watching the games at Scallywags (like last weekend - where I watched it with 5/6 other RPB's)

You're getting pretty defensive for no good reason.
I didn't say Joe's is the only place to watch. I only said you wouldn't go there.
It isn't an RPB/NEE thing, just an observation. I DO watch at Joe's, and in two years, I haven't seen you there. What's the issue here?

sulfur
03-27-2009, 10:34 AM
There's no issue that I can see.

Only 5 or 6 RPBs up at Scally's? I was under the impression that there were going to be a lot more than that?

nfitz
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Not at 800kbps they're not.I've really not got a lot of faith that the actual stream from TFC's website is going to work at 800 kbps - good grief, last week they couldn't even get the Rogers freeview working.

Besides, my hardware isn't set up to sit, drink a beer, and watch the computer. I WILL enjoy the game watching it on TV, but I won't get much enjoyment from it on the computer. So that is why I'm making my choice.

It is MY choice how I watch it. I'm not saying that anyone else should make MY choice! I have chosen the avenue that would give me the most satisfaction. Others might ask why you'd watch on a computer screen, when all you have to do is drive down to Columbus and watch it live. (that's not a question BTW)

GabrielHurl
03-27-2009, 10:40 AM
There's no issue as far as I can see - all I initially said was what my plans were for tomorrow - before Joe's was even brought up

Sorry Sulfur - should have clarified I was sitting at a table with 5/6 RPB's (Techno, T-Bird, canadian_bhoy etc)

Dozitwin
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm going to wait as well. There is not much chance of me making it into Toronto to watch at shoeless so given the options I'd rather watch it on my wide screen and be able to see what's happening on the pitch over watching it on my laptop. It just means I'll be on a self imposed internet blackout until the match is done.

kodiakTFC
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm going to watch it on MLS matchcenter. Probably going to be streaming a few games at once.

Jeffro
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll be at shoeless.

I assume they have the Setanta free preview for pre game?

GhostPK
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Why not watch it twice?

JDG
There's no issue as far as I can see - all I initially said was what my plans were for tomorrow - before Joe's was even brought up

Sorry Sulfur - should have clarified I was sitting at a table with 5/6 RPB's (Techno, T-Bird, canadian_bhoy etc)

So are we good? I'm always happy to see you, and don't see enough of you. That's all.

ensco
The Kansas game looked pretty sharp on my monitor and there were no cutouts or jumps at all in the stream.

Watching live events online is going to be the future. TV companies are dinosaurs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CGS.TO&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

DRock
03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Watching a tape delay is such garbage, i feel like a mook when i cheer when it's a tape delay, since the event already happened hours ago. I'm glad they're streaming it live, cutos to them!

dupont
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
it's almost all set up.
The main Toronto FC site says that the game will be streamed, and they'd know about any blackouts.

and worst case scenario.... just wait around and watch it on the tape delay.

I'm not worried in the slightest that you guys will get it set up correctly.. my only fear is that you are assured it will be shown and then it gets blacked out anyways.
I thought the TFC site stream would be a low quality one compared to the match center one? I haven't had much luck with TFC streams so far.. a lot of stutters and blackout moments.. so hopefully the match center stream comes through a-ok!

Either way I'm gonna come down with my girlfriend and my brother.. like you say.. worst case is we drink a lot of beer with fellow TFC fans waiting for the tape delay.. :drinking:

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Either way I'm gonna come down with my girlfriend and my brother.. like you say.. worst case is we drink a lot of beer with fellow TFC fans waiting for the tape delay.. :drinking:

I know. Tough life isn't it?

eustacchio
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I can't do any of the above...I have to get text updates from someone...ahem, Damiano :rolleyes5:...boooo-urns

Jeffro
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
^ that could make for a sloppy day for me.... I plan on showing up at around 1230 to watch some WCQ.... by 7 O'clock.... :drunk:

ensco
03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Watching a tape delay is such garbage, i feel like a mook when i cheer when it's a tape delay, since the event already happened hours ago. I'm glad they're streaming it live, cutos to them!

Yum! Cute cheetos!

ensco
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Is it a straightforward thing to plug a laptop into a TV so that whatever is playing on the laptop is showing on the set?

I'm hoping it's a simple matter of buying a cord with a USB connector on one end, and TV style connectors on the other....

I suspect the answer is no.

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Is it a straightforward thing to plug a laptop into a TV so that whatever is playing on the laptop is showing on the set?

I suspect the answer is no.

technically we're trying to get HDMI out of a computer so that we can plug into multiple LCD TV's and the projectors at the same time.

ensco
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
technically we're trying to get HDMI out of a computer so that we can plug into multiple LCD TV's and the projectors at the same time.

My question is more directed for those of us trying this at home - no intention of attempting to replicate what's going on down at Mission Control (aka Shoeless joe's!)

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
ahhh! right.

the easy way is to just take a second monitor out (if your computer supports that) with either an s-video cable, or HDMI or even VGA/DVI (an option on some LCD TV's)

scooter
03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
i have no choice but to watch delay my boys team has a practice from 5-7 the idiot of a coach did not check tfc schedule when he booked the field

TorontoBlades
03-27-2009, 02:04 PM
...will the quality of the online feed be better than the preseason tourney?

T-Bird
03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
There's no issue that I can see.

Only 5 or 6 RPBs up at Scally's? I was under the impression that there were going to be a lot more than that?

Last weekend there were way more than 5 or 6 people. The first floor was jammed and upstairs there were about 25...I think he means he was with 5 or 6 personally

Red Rat
03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I got a six foot HDMI and six foot stereo to RCA and a MAC of course
Should I bring these just in case?

Stryker
03-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Seeing as Im out west all by my lonesome I'll wait to see the tape delay.
Would rather watch it on my couch in front of a big screen then sit in front of the computer. At least the tape delay comes on at 5PM here.
How long is the delay anyway?

Red Rat
03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
3 hours
shit 2 hours

flatpicker
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I got a six foot HDMI and six foot stereo to RCA and a MAC of course
Should I bring these just in case?

Always have a "just in case"!!!!

there can be no room for error!

Red Rat
03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Always have a "just in case"!!!!

there can be no room for error!
I should have stolen the 12 foot HDMI cable from my last job regrets, regrets.
I should have also beat the living shit of of them as well, oh well next time.

nascarguy
03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
the fan590 will be playing the game live

rocktml
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
WAIT!!!!! Hate watching games on the computer

rocker
03-27-2009, 05:30 PM
i don't mind watching on the 800K MLS Match Center stream.. reliable and very high quality. I don't have a big TV anyway (I have this little old colour TV in my room that isn't much bigger than my monitor actually!).

I can't wait til 7... just knowing TFC is playing and I'm not watching makes me sick, so I have to watch the stream.

I'll just watch it again on GolTV at 7pm to get the homeside commentary.

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
I will not be heading to shoeless a bit of a drive... I wish I had a live feed of the traveling supports rolling into Columbus though! Kicking myself for not going this year :(

jloome
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I will not be heading to shoeless a bit of a drive... I wish I had a live feed of the traveling supports rolling into Columbus though! Kicking myself for not going this year :(

Yeah, would've given you a chance to get out of Calgary for a while:D

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
More than likely I'll be watching the game at the Mansion in Pickering if I can free up my evening. That will mean an afternoon trying to dodge the score on tv and online. :D

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, would've given you a chance to get out of Calgary for a while:D

Meh I don't live in Calgary. In fact, I don't live in any city.

spezz44
03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Im gunna try and head down to shoeless for 4, first timer their

Kevin
03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Muhahahaha!!!! I will be watching the game live (albeit not broadcast in HD) on my tv via Directv. However, I would much rather watch it tape delayed with all of you yokels getting together up there.

koryo
03-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Watching it live down at Joe's. No contest really.

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Im gunna try and head down to shoeless for 4, first timer their

Cool stuff! Hope you have a good time.

James Oliphant
03-28-2009, 04:18 AM
I've really not got a lot of faith that the actual stream from TFC's website is going to work at 800 kbps - good grief, last week they couldn't even get the Rogers freeview working.

You mean ROGERS couldn't get the freeview working. That had nothing to do with TFC. Someone at Rogers master control fucked up.

And the 800kbps is not on TFC's website...it's on MLS Match Center.

SilentSam
03-28-2009, 08:00 AM
I am going to stream the game from my ps3 to the tv. Hope it works else it's watching on the monitor.

Adanactfc
03-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Anyone know if Bell Expressvu is going to have the Goal Tv freeview. I can't seem to find any info on their site?

nfitz
03-28-2009, 08:15 AM
You mean ROGERS couldn't get the freeview working. That had nothing to do with TFC. Someone at Rogers master control fucked up.Yes someone at Rogers ... I was using the all-encompasssing "they" - those magical people who bring pictures through the ether, make the phones work, the lights stay on, and keep raising our taxes. :)

And the 800kbps is not on TFC's website...it's on MLS Match Center.Ah - I hadn't realised that MLS was making that available for free! Good for them - I guess it's a unique case this season where there is no live coverage. Shame I wasn't actually going to be in town this afternoon - I'd check it out; might even tempt me to buy it at sometime in the future.

The Rogers freeview does seem to be on BTW - at least according to the Rogers IPG (hard to tell, as I already subscribe).

sulfur
03-28-2009, 08:38 AM
You mean ROGERS couldn't get the freeview working. That had nothing to do with TFC. Someone at Rogers master control fucked up.
It's debatable, and to be discovered this evening.

However, at Joe's we'll be watching a live feed at 4pm. Much more fun to see things as they actually happen!

dupont
03-28-2009, 12:13 PM
It's debatable, and to be discovered this evening.

However, at Joe's we'll be watching a live feed at 4pm. Much more fun to see things as they actually happen!

Thanks for setting up the feed! looking forward to it! :drinking:

GBV
03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
my gol tv is still black.
am still on phone with rogers.
it's been 30 minutes.
they're saying gol tv is not free this weekend. not making it up.
i even explained to them the toronto fc ads in the sun all week, including today.

Oblio2
03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Im working now....gonna wait and watch it later

Brooker
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
it's been 30 minutes.
i even explained to them the toronto fc ads in the sun all week, including today.
people should all just order it.

it's worth the $2 alone for the TFC not to mention all the other great stuff.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Since the TFC sites pictures always freeze...i will listen live on 590 and watch the game at 7

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
it's been 30 minutes.

i have rogers and gol is offered as a free preview...tell them to get thier thumbs out of their rear ends and get you hooked up

sulfur
03-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Come to Joe's. It's on live. :)

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11357

Redcoe15
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Watching the game live on the web is a bit of a pain. But it beats having to wait on a tape delay hours after the has already been decided.

GBV
03-28-2009, 02:34 PM
i have rogers and gol is offered as a free preview...tell them to get thier thumbs out of their rear ends and get you hooked up

weird. i was on the phone for 32 minutes.
they know nil and thanked me for pointing out the ad in the sun.
not making this up . . .

ended up ordering it (rogers always wins).

fetajr
03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Dish Network on FTA systems have the game on MLS direct kick live