PDA

View Full Version : Onward! -- Dear Columbus:

Ben Knight
03-27-2009, 07:58 AM
http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/03/27/dear-columbus/

flatpicker
03-27-2009, 08:06 AM
very nice read Ben... very Canadian of you! :)

T.Reis
03-27-2009, 08:13 AM
who the hell is Bill Archer?

Alarius
03-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Being a soccer fan is a tribal experience. Tribes are mobs, and mobs do stupid things at times. But each individual person can step back, and refuse to cross the line. Most people’s anger is about parents, partners, exes, bosses and the jerk who cut them off in traffic, and has nothing to do with that guy over there wearing a different colour soccer jersey.
The trick is to remember that.

Well said.

TorontoBlades
03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Dear Ben:

You used to write about soccer news and provided well thought out insight into Toronto FC and footy in general. You have since regressed to becoming a glorified spokesperson for the Red Patch Boys, trying to get a rise out of them on the www. Go back to doing your job, and let them handle their own cyber warfare, they have plenty of warriors of their own.

Bluenose13
03-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Dear Ben:

You used to write about soccer news and provided well thought out insight into Toronto FC and footy in general. You have since regressed to becoming a glorified spokesperson for the Red Patch Boys, trying to get a rise out of them on the www. Go back to doing your job, and let them handle their own cyber warfare, they have plenty of warriors of their own.^^What a crock of shit :rolleyes:

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Dear Ben:

You used to write about soccer news and provided well thought out insight into Toronto FC and footy in general. You have since regressed to becoming a glorified spokesperson for the Red Patch Boys, trying to get a rise out of them on the www. Go back to doing your job, and let them handle their own cyber warfare, they have plenty of warriors of their own.

considering that Ben self-identifies as a U-Sector member, I think you're just pulling that out of thin air.

denime
03-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Dear Ben:

Dear TorontoBlades stop :stogey: in the early morning.
Go back to your job and let Ben do his.

Redcoe15
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Columbus. MLS fans of the year.:smilielol5:

James Oliphant
03-27-2009, 09:51 AM
considering that Ben self-identifies as a U-Sector member, I think you're just pulling that out of thin air.

...or somewhere thicker.

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
yes, there's a few places it could be pulled out from.... but thin air seemed to be the most appropriate.

Lucky Strike
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Columbus. MLS fans of the year.:smilielol5:

Yeah, it's pretty laughable. To me, the only reasonable explanation of why they got that award was because they were the most improved and MLS wanted to recognize that (to encourage all supporters to raise their games). Of course, in Columbus's case, that's pretty easy to get "most improved" if they had nothing to begin with.

Brooker
03-27-2009, 10:03 AM
before settling in for a relaxed night of door-to-door, street-to-street moose hunting with chainsaws and concussion grenades. The trick is to lean into the blast-wave. I’ll teach you. Been doing it all my life.

:rofl::smilielol5:

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
^^ Likeliest scenario. Gaber saw the big change after we came to town and wanted to help them maintain their good self-esteem.

ilikemusic
03-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I hate when BA gets referenced.

Toronto FC is the best thing to ever happen to that guy.

MUFC_Niagara
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
No offence, but this article is a crock. We all hate Columbus. Is an article about football or an article about relations? Still trying to figue it out.

Kickit09
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
how was columbus named MLS fans of the year. they set a record low for attendance, got streamers banned, and had issues with racism and throwing objects on the field.... oh i forget its MLS.

BuSaPuNk
03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
how was columbus named MLS fans of the year. they set a record low for attendance, got streamers banned, and had issues with racism and throwing objects on the field.... oh i forget its MLS.

Ahmen!! Like the avatar by the way!! :hump:

Barbarez
03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Dear Mr. Knight,

After your bitchfest about the use of smoke bombs/flares in Columbus last year I have stopped reading your shite.

Fuck off

Barbarez

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 12:40 PM
After your bitchfest about the use of smoke bombs/flares in Columbus last year....

I think you own shares in a flare/smoke bomb company and are just upset that he could cut into your profits.

DOMIN8R
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Dear Mr. Knight,

After your bitchfest about the use of smoke bombs/flares in Columbus last year I have stopped reading your shite.

Fuck off

Barbarez

There was something missing in the last few months. But now - Barbie is back. Back to normal and everything is as it should be. The universe is now properly balanced, once again.

justin
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
i think everyone is forgetting the real meaning of this article

bill archer is a cunt

billyfly
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
U guys are gonna make me go to the Archer article.....

twistedchinaman
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
i think everyone is forgetting the real meaning of this article

bill archer is a cunt

Always and forever, and he seems damn proud of that fact IMO.

He's just a troll. Why must we give him so damn much attention in the first place?

TorontoBlades
03-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Dear Mr. Knight,

Fuck off

Barbarez

thank you. You guys can say what you want, but what made Ben readable to me in times past no longer seems to apply....

TorontoBlades
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Dear TorontoBlades stop :stogey: in the early morning.
Go back to your job and let Ben do his.

^^What a crock of shit :rolleyes:

...or somewhere thicker.

Dear Guys:

I can smoke whatever I'd like in the morning, and I do my job quite well thanks. If I ruffled your feathers this morning I apologize, but my opinion is that someone needs to light a fire under Ben's arse....

...a couple of articles ago, he wrote about how TFC's defence are a glaring weakness that needed to be fixed if this season was to be successful. The next week he correctly pointed out that in the MLS, most teams have a glaring weakness in their defence and likely in many other areas. He should stop trying to address topics that are being debated on the forum and perhaps do some research and perhaps bring some new info that can be talked upon or some news to the forefront. Those were the qualities that apparently were supposed to make him something more than just another RPB or U-Sector or whatever...with his own blog.

Now before one of you rebutes my argument by picking on my weed habits or a spelling error or something else, my question is this...

...do you guys suck Ben's and Paul's dick at the same time, or alternate between dicks as you deem necessary ;)

Ossington Mental Youth
03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I gotta say im a TFC fan first and straight foremost and I have no doubt about that.
I have no problem with calling our team out for its weaknesses (we have many) and obviously I have no problems with patting ourselves on the back. Nor do the rest of you (nor does Mr Knight).

I do not want to demean Mr Knight as a writer/journalist (there is a difference between the two and often the two are intertwined) but I have to admit that as of recent there has been a certain amount of sympathetic voice to the TFC. One cannot blame him, hes been a supporter for a good while and a good one at that. However ones voice tends to diminish when ones voice is always in sympathy. As such he should be elected or anointed as an official spokesman for TFC, otherwise a certain amount of discrepancy needs to be made.

I have no problem with him being made to be the voice of many TFC followers but frankly at this point in time, outside of a few comments following the Canadian national team and the ladies Canadian football team there is little to differentiate him from the rest of us.

In the end, like anything else its entirely opinion, and like a wise man once said opinions are like assholes.

Perhaps ive been entirely of order but everything is always worth reviewing and challenging on a regular basis.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
For the record Bill Archer is held in the lowest regard possible. If it were not for him, Columbus would not even be on the map (Shield/Cup withstanding).

Ben Knight
03-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Three things:

- I am an unapologetic TFC fan.
- I criticize the team plenty. (Defence, draft picks)
- Barbarez, you and I will never agree on ANYTHING -- but the first pint's on me if you'd ever like to disagree over drinks.

denime
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
In that case Ben Fuck off.

can I have a beer now? :)

Ben Knight
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh, I definitely owe you one, pal!! :-)

TERSIGNI
03-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Great piece Ben. The last thing soccer fans want to see is a brawl and bad name attached to our road warriors.

Stryker
03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Dear Mr. Knight,

Fuck off

Barbarez
Raptors season over?
Or are you just hopping back on the bandwagon early?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
as always well written but i guess previously i could have said in a less long winded way, being a bit more critical wouldnt hurt

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
...do you guys suck Ben's and Paul's dick at the same time, or alternate between dicks as you deem necessary ;)

Sounds like you like to watch or why the fuck would you be coming in here all the time?

billyfly
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I love the love between members.

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh, it wasn't sarcasm. I like to watch too. ;)