PDA

View Full Version : TFC fans can't live far away?

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Just got an e-mail from TFC (MLSEFANS.Com) talking up the Columbus trip. It has a link to the "BMO Ultimate Fan Contest".

Imagine my surprise when I read the contest rules and found
"BMOŽ ULTIMATE FAN OF THE GAME Contest

RULES AND REGULATIONS

ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is only open to legal residents of Ontario who live within a 75 mile radius of the City of Toronto and are 18 years of age or older as of March 21, 2009."

I guess TFC fans can't live far away?

Oldtimer
03-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Only "ultimate fans" can't. :lol:

Shaughno
03-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't want to be an ultimate fan anyways, I'd much rather be a supporter in the bunker with my fellow supporters singing and chanting. :D

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Only "ultimate fans" can't. :lol:
Ohhhh! That explains it then :rolleyes:

I always hate it when contests get posted and then you read the "fine print" and find out entering is a waste of time :mad:.

O well.... Onwards!!

daner90
03-27-2009, 07:32 AM
I am unable to enter any contests through the Phildelphia Flyers website as well...more understandable with them being an american team, but it would be nice to take part...

London
03-27-2009, 07:33 AM
tell them we use the metric system

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I am unable to enter any contests through the Phildelphia Flyers website as well...more understandable with them being an american team, but it would be nice to take part...
Part of the problem with this interweb :rolleyes: ...

so easy to access sites from all over and it's not always obvious where some of em are based. Gotta read that fine print.

O well off to www.setantaca.com (http://www.setantaca.com) .
After all... who wouldn't love a trip to Wembly!

werewolf
03-27-2009, 07:46 AM

you should consider that a blessing.

:devil:

Manitoba TFC Fan
03-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I was one of the lucky winners who were flown to New York to see TFC's win last October. There were four winners and the other three were all from the GTA since the ways they won were only open to Toronto area residents. Lucky for me, the final way was through CBC and watching the games on tv (which is pretty much the only way I can see them). They probably didn't expect someone from Manitoba to win.

Razcle
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Haha...you ruined it for all us >75 mile supporters....lol

KdotOdot
03-27-2009, 08:09 AM
C'mon. We all know you'll betray us the moment Ottawa gets an MLS team.

eustacchio
03-27-2009, 08:11 AM
no purchase necessary, unless you want to enter the contest.

odds of winning mathematically insignificant.

jaahuuu
03-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Ohhhh! That explains it then :rolleyes:

I always hate it when contests get posted and then you read the "fine print" and find out entering is a waste of time :mad:.

O well.... Onwards!!
Sometimes it works out for the best. Whenever I'm at BMO (or the Autoshow, etc.) and somebody is bugging me to enter some contest or something, the words "I'm not an Canadian resident" works better at getting them to leave you alone than anything else I've tried.

Canada72
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM

Yes! This should be in KM!

Parkdale
03-27-2009, 08:55 AM

so he'll be on TFC's side forever!

Lucky Strike
03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Just got an e-mail from TFC (MLSEFANS.Com) talking up the Columbus trip. It has a link to the "BMO Ultimate Fan Contest".

RULES AND REGULATIONS

ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is only open to legal residents of Ontario who live within a 75 mile radius of the City of Toronto and are 18 years of age or older as of March 21, 2009."

Miles? What are those? Imagine entering, winning this contest and getting off on a technicality because miles aren't used in Canada. LOL.

It's pretty retarded that there be any geographical limit for support of a team. You can be just as much a die-hard supporter if you live far away. Those who support old-world football teams know exactly what I'm talking about. And using myself as another example, I'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins despite living in Ottawa; I've never been to Pittsburgh not even Pennsylvania but it doesn't make me any sort of second-rate fan.

Ridiculous.

James Oliphant
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Could be worse...could enter the Leafs' equivalent contest (http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/587128) and have to live within 50 miles of Toronto.

Steve
03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Good point about the metric system, why would they use miles for Toronto? That seems rather strange.

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Well, I guess I'm not the Ultimate fan. I didn't enter last year for the same reason. We are flying into T.O. on April 3rd and hopeful to find tickets to actually see the game. I'd be okay with watching from shoeless, it beats my couch hands down. But I guess I'm not a good fan...

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 09:44 AM

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Ha. I guess I'm just a peice of trash, unworthy of supporting TFC. Thanks MLSE. :(

SuperTCP
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I guess they are avoiding paying airfare for those who live far away.
Have you seen that Ultimate fan scarf???? Yuk!
Besides I think the Ultimate Fan contest should actually be a contest, not a draw, this way true fans will win each week.

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Ha. I guess I'm just a peice of trash, unworthy of supporting TFC. Thanks MLSE. :(

That's shitty. You, Detroit, Keystone, and the others all get the shaft. :mad:

TFC07
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
75 miles????? How much is 75 miles in KM?

devioustrevor
03-27-2009, 10:28 AM

Even Metrically I live too far away :cool:

GhostPK
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Miles? What are those? Imagine entering, winning this contest and getting off on a technicality because miles aren't used in Canada. LOL.

It's pretty retarded that there be any geographical for support of a team. You can be just as much a die-hard supporter if you live far away. Those who support old-world football teams know exactly what I'm talking about. And using myself as another example, I'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins despite living in Ottawa; I've never been to Pittsburgh not even Pennsylvania but it doesn't make me any sort of second-rate fan.

Ridiculous.

WEST COAST REDS!! Actually, I think I entered last year even though I read the fine print and it said I had to be a resident of Ontario. Just cuz BMO says I cant be an ultimate fan doesn't mean I'll start cheering for the whitecRap.

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Eh, they let me on the field last year for the Carlsburg Kick regardless of nationality. I'll take that awesome moment in exchange for not having a less then remote chance at winning season tickets in a section I wouldn't want to sit in anyway.

eustacchio
03-27-2009, 11:20 AM

1000 m in a km
1600 m in a mile

so 120 km

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM

:hand: I am still not an Ottawa Senators fan.

jloome
03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Well, I guess I live about 2500% too far away. Stryker too.

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Funny... I never really paid much attention to miles vs kilometers.
I guess it comes from being so old that I remember miles & yards & feet ;)

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Eh, they let me on the field last year for the Carlsburg Kick regardless of nationality. I'll take that awesome moment in exchange for not having a less then remote chance at winning season tickets in a section I wouldn't want to sit in anyway.
:eek:
You mean that if you won you couldn't spend the game in the beer garden?

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Yeah, but still... I mean, you guys have a pretty big choice of teams to choice from in the US but decided to stick with Toronto. That in itself says something.

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
:eek:
You mean that if you won you couldn't spend the game in the beer garden?

Ha. I bet the seats are probably up next to Bitchy. A game full of bird crap and high winds does not sound as tempting as my current seats.

Kevvv
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Actually, they're right at the front of 118 - I was lucky enough to win a pair for the last game of 2007. And I can confirm the scarf is terrible.

twistedchinaman
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM

The list grows...

you, me, Detroit, Keystone, Alberta Girl, Northern Soul, Mark in Ottawa, GhostPK, manic.street.preacher...guess we are just insignificant in the eyes of MLSE. No matter how far we live, we all are Reds. It's little gestures like this that makes me wonder what MLSE truly thinks of distance fans -- are we just annoyances?

djking2
03-27-2009, 01:04 PM
The winner gets about two days notice so I imagine they're looking at the practical side of getting there for the match. Pointless to have the seats empty I'd think. As for the scarf it doesn't even say TFC or anything like it on the scarf. Just "BMO Ultimate Fan". The seats are kinda special though. My son who is also an RPB won twice last year which makes me think fewer people are entering than you might guess.

ThunderTundra
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I tried to register for this too and noticed this.

I still find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that I am in Ontario but live an 18 hour drive from the capital.

I don't blame them for putting this restriction on it, flights aren't cheap in Canada, but it still burns the ones who are out of that 120 km zone

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
The list grows...

you, me, Detroit, Keystone, Alberta Girl, Northern Soul, Mark in Ottawa, GhostPK, manic.street.preacher...guess we are just insignificant in the eyes of MLSE. No matter how far we live, we all are Reds. It's little gestures like this that makes me wonder what MLSE truly thinks of distance fans -- are we just annoyances?

I think were are enough of a minority that MLSE just doesn't acknowledge us in broad stroke type give aways such as this.

I say we start our own off shoot of RPB, "BMO's Bastards, Fans Outside The 75 Mile Radius". The scarves would be epic. :)

twistedchinaman
03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I think were are enough of a minority that MLSE just doesn't acknowledge us in broad stroke type give aways such as this.

I say we start our own off shoot of RPB, "BMO's Bastards, Fans Outside The 75 Mile Radius". The scarves would be epic. :)

The 75 Mile Bastards! I can just see them now... :D

ThunderTundra
03-27-2009, 02:24 PM

The 75 Mile Bastards! I can just see them now... :DLOL

I Love this

The 75 Mile Bastard chapter of the RPB is formed!

JamboAl
03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
LOL

I Love this

I'm in! Does it count that I'm within 75 miles of Columbus now? Non-Toronto TFC supporters UNITE!

Lucky Strike
03-27-2009, 03:32 PM
LOL

I Love this

Sweeeeeet...

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
LOL

I Love this

Well, with this kind of response, I guess I will get the wheels turning on this!! I was going to start one for just he U.S. fans called Border Patrol, but this reaches out further. I'll be talking this over with my friends tomorrow on the drive to Columbus.

And so it begins....

ThunderTundra
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, with this kind of response, I guess I will get the wheels turning on this!! I was going to start one for just he U.S. fans called Border Patrol, but this reaches out further. I'll be talking this over with my friends tomorrow on the drive to Columbus.

And so it begins....

haha awesome!!

We should seriously get a real chapter going, flags and even a scarf.

There's enough of us spread out all over the place in little pockets that a chapter like this would be packed!

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
haha awesome!!

We should seriously get a real chapter going, flags and even a scarf.

There's enough of us spread out all over the place in little pockets that a chapter like this would be packed!

Oh, i'm dead serious. When we were tossing around the "Border Patrol" idea, my friend found some good scarf design web sites. I also plan on checking out the Banner making video in the Chants etc thread.

MLSE, you have created a monster. God have mercy on your souls. :)

ThunderTundra
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11334

It's on like donkey kong!

TFC Via Buffalo
03-27-2009, 04:23 PM

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mojo
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't want to be an ultimate fan anyways, I'd much rather be a supporter in the bunker with my fellow supporters singing and chanting. :D

I won it once, was the one of the only ways I could get tickets for myself :(

Keystone FC
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM

I don't mind getting the shaft but they could at least lube it up once in awhile.:noidea:

Keystone FC
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah, but still... I mean, you guys have a pretty big choice of teams to choice from in the US but decided to stick with Toronto. That in itself says something.
Let's see...the Crew or the Fire...Hmmm. I think I made the right choice.:D

Keystone FC
03-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Ha. I bet the seats are probably up next to Bitchy.
That would be AWESOME!

nascarguy
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
:hand: I am still not an Ottawa Senators fan.
but would you be happy for the city if they won the cup

Keystone FC
03-27-2009, 05:11 PM

AWESOME! I feel so included now.:drinking:

Mark in Ottawa
03-27-2009, 07:40 PM
O Yeah!! :smilielol5:

I'm in.... and for an even stranger reason now that I think of it.

When I first started work we had a bunch of older veteran type guys who were a registered chapter of... wait for it... "The International Order of Old Bastards".

I kid you not.
The "Grand Bastard" lived in Florida or somesuch and sold memberships to supplement his retirement. I still have the membership card somewhere.

I remember it because anytime someone asked me for id that was the card I gave them. They rarely asked me a second time :D

The 75 mile Bastards... sort of has a nice ring to it.

twistedchinaman
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
O Yeah!! :smilielol5:

I'm in.... and for an even stranger reason now that I think of it.

When I first started work we had a bunch of older veteran type guys who were a registered chapter of... wait for it... "The International Order of Old Bastards".

I kid you not.
The "Grand Bastard" lived in Florida or somesuch and sold memberships to supplement his retirement. I still have the membership card somewhere.

I remember it because anytime someone asked me for id that was the card I gave them. They rarely asked me a second time :D

The 75 mile Bastards... sort of has a nice ring to it.

It is all good! :D
I'm in that's for sure...:canada:

twistedchinaman
03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh, i'm dead serious. When we were tossing around the "Border Patrol" idea, my friend found some good scarf design web sites. I also plan on checking out the Banner making video in the Chants etc thread.

MLSE, you have created a monster. God have mercy on your souls. :)

"The 75 Mile Bastards - Forgetting Someone?" :D

Cashcleaner
03-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe on the other side of the scarf you have the distance in metric? :D

colman1860
03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
I won this last year - the reason you need to be within a certain distance of the stadium is because they send you the tickets/scarves by courier in advance. Didn't apply to me since TFC/Purolator fucked up my address (god knows how - my STs get here fine) so I just picked my scarves up at the game (it was the opener, so I got an ST scarf as well as the fugly BMO ones). Don't know why they couldn't always have a pickup option.

Kevin
03-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I would love to join this chapter ... I'm 783 miles (according to Mapquest.com)