PDA

View Full Version : September Start For Major League Soccer?

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
With the 2011 MLS expansion race done, talks are being surfaced about 2012. Now if MLS expands to 20 teams, this would create a home and away structure bringing league games to 38, plus for some teams CONCACAF Champions League, Superliga, and U.S. Open Cup, which would could possible tack on another 7 games. Now we might think “WOW how is 45+ games going to fit in from March to October” the chances are my friends they won’t.

But in recent news, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has stated to the MLS Board that they need to change to a September to May schedule (in other words “like the rest of the world”) to comply with the FIFA friendly dates, and transfer dates. The MLS Board has realised what position they are in regarding to how players can be lost from teams due to players wanting to test the waters overseas, and thus the MLS has stated that they will change “e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y”.

Now, it is possible! And let me tell you why.

You may have heard from soccer blog’s that MLS weather wouldn’t comply with soccer. However, I say soccer is capable of being played from September to mid-November, then there would be the break, and starting back up in late-February, early-March and ending in late-May, early-June.

This would make the MLS compliant with 1) CONCACAF Champions League 2) League games getting intertwined with International Friendlies 3) Transfers

This is one thing that can help grow Soccer in North America, as for others........they will be address

"Football its a feeling that cant be explained but we spend our lives explaining it!"

Stencils
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Interesting.

Yohan
03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
It's going to be interesting playing in the snow

Shaughno
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Late February is still damn cold in most NE states and Ontario.

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
^^^it is cold, but playable, in Canada we do it,
National Training Camp, we shoveled the snow off the turf?

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
the birght side is Toronto could start the season at home in September lol

drewski
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
never happen unless you totally dome over many northern stadiums

its not conducive to the game or to getting more fans in the seats

Eastend
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
That scenario does seem doable.....plus it would extend our TFC viewing pleasure....

rudiker
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Would be great, similar to the Bundesliga.

maninb
This is just SILLY...Why do you think the Russians, Germans and Scandanavians take winter breaks? Because it's too friggin COLD!!!! It'll NEVER happen....

Shway
not conducive? how so drewski

ACSertL
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
The Bundesliga takes a winter break from the middle of December to the beginning of February, but there are only 18 teams in the league and the Cup competition runs concurrent with the season so the league doesn't run past May.

Might not be perfect but it might be a decent template to work from.

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
This is just SILLY...Why do you think the Russians, Germans and Scandanavians take winter breaks? Because it's too friggin COLD!!!! It'll NEVER happen....

thats why it would be done JUST like in Russia, Germany, and Scandanavia

boban
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Correct. But the Germans do start up again in February.

drewski
03-25-2009, 02:24 PM
not conducive? how so drewski

-frozen plastic pitch isn't exactly a good playing surface
-fans freezing their asses off
-players freezing their asses off & possibly injuring themselves

just to name a few

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
believe it or not i think it will EVENTUALLY happen because take for instance how is next year 2010 going to work with the World Cup taking place? look how many players will be missing, or will it be that the MLS will not play for the month of July or August, and have games 2-a-week? dont think so

rocker
03-25-2009, 02:28 PM
i like things the way they are now... in non-WC years, summer is really slow for soccer in most of the world, yet we get hot TFC action throughout June, July, and August.
Then when TFC is over for the year, we get hot European action to fill us up until spring. Perfect.

GTA_WOLF
03-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Sweden and Norway seem to do ok playing the same schedule as the MLS. The league just needs to get its' head out of its' ass when it comes to international weeks.

ExiledRed
03-25-2009, 02:29 PM

February in Ontario is colder than hell, making people run around in the open air in shorts and shirt for anything more than ten minutes, is dangerous and likely contravenes worker health and safety laws. (and yes players are considered to be workers)
Unless we spend february in the Skydome, it will not and should not happen.

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:30 PM
-frozen plastic pitch isn't exactly a good playing surface
-fans freezing their asses off
-players freezing their asses off & possibly injuring themselves

just to name a few

im sure all teams will be playing on grass by 2012?
im sure fans have been outdoors in winter for more then 2 hours?
(and motions of chanting, and jumping wouldnt make it the cold you think)
as for players injuring themselves, im sure that can be prevented?

did any Canadian players gett injured when they played the international game in 30 cms' of snow?

FITZY75
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
brrrrr.... thats all i have to say

Strikers
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
The Bundesliga takes a winter break from the middle of December to the beginning of February, but there are only 18 teams in the league and the Cup competition runs concurrent with the season so the league doesn't run past May.

Might not be perfect but it might be a decent template to work from.

I agree the Budesliga would be the best template for MLS to use as a guide.

bdiddy
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I think to make this work you'd need a made in MLS version, maybe extending it from Early August to Mid-November (snow usually doesn't start until mid-December anyways). I think playing in February anytime, is going to be way to cold. February and March are still normally 'snow months'.

The only way you could re-start early February is if those teams always started the season on a 3-4 game roadtrip to the southern states, where most northern team would need to be focused. Then maybe beginning in Mid March back at BMO, but that still would definitely give you chances for snow,

It would work, but might not be the warmest option :)

Yohan
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
believe it or not i think it will EVENTUALLY happen because take for instance how is next year 2010 going to work with the World Cup taking place? look how many players will be missing, or will it be that the MLS will not play for the month of July or August, and have games 2-a-week? dont think so
if today's int roster indication is any clue, MLS wont be missing that many players.

Not many MLS players will be playing for national teams that'll be in WC

GTA_WOLF
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Add Russia to that list.

drewski
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
im sure all teams will be playing on grass by 2012?
im sure fans have been outdoors in winter for more then 2 hours?
(and motions of chanting, and jumping wouldnt make it the cold you think)
as for players injuring themselves, im sure that can be prevented?

did any Canadian players gett injured when they played the international game in 30 cms' of snow?

frozen ground isn't much better to play on.

sure some people have been outside but they aren't necessarily the same people who would be willign to watch TFC outside for 2 hours

there are plenty of people at the games, ie prawn brigade, who don't cheer or chant.

and thats just here. in cities where the support isn't anywhere near as much as it is here, ie Columbus, they might as well just fold

Cashcleaner
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Quick question: Who here is willing to sit outside on a cold Novermber or February evening to watch Toronto play at BMO Field? Let's be honest with ourselves, thrown in a little rain or snow and you're talking about possible hypothermia going on.

deltox
03-25-2009, 02:37 PM
im sure that MLS would do well against NFL, NBA and NHL:

backbeat
03-25-2009, 02:37 PM
there's no flippin' way we'll play in February or even most of March - maybe start August to end of October fisrt week of November - then mid March on the road til April - maybe

ensco
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
The players could wear skates in February. Maybe it would be best if we reduce the size of the ball too, and maybe give them a stick to hit it with, as it's hard to kick with skates on.

Cashcleaner
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
im sure that MLS would do well against NFL, NBA and NHL:

^ That as well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
This will never happen and Blatter can go f**k himself... i think FIFA need someone new running the show...or make all the european nations play in the summer months!!

nfitz
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
believe it or not i think it will EVENTUALLY happen because take for instance how is next year 2010 going to work with the World Cup taking place? look how many players will be missing, or will it be that the MLS will not play for the month of July or August, and have games 2-a-week? dont think soWhat does July or August have to do with it? World Cup starts June 11th, by July 3rd there are only 4 teams left, and it's unlikely there are more than 1 or 2 MLS players from those teams. There's only really 3 weekends in June where all the teams are in play, that would intefere with MLS - so perhaps MLS should just shut down for those weekends.

Assuming that most MLS players are back by July; 2010 has far less dates that are going to be a problem; There are 9 international matches over 4 weekends in 2009 - and then 2 weekends with early-round Gold Cup matches, and the quarter-finals on a 3rd weekend. So that's 7 troublesome weekends in 2009, ignoring the Confederations Cup (which will remove the New Zealand and US players for 2 further weekends). In 2010 we have 3 weekends impacted seriously by World Cup and then 5 international matches over 2 weekend. So 5 troublesome weekends in 2010 - though the 3 further weekends where World Cup players are released from mid-May to June may be an issue (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/95/40/16/zirkular-1170daten2010wc-finalmatchdaymay2010e.pdf)

NF-FC
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
the only way this works is if every winter game is played on the west coast (not possible btw)

Super Cereal
03-25-2009, 02:48 PM
This is one thing that can help grow Soccer in North America, as for others........

How? I think it would certainly have the opposite effect.

A) Freezing cold, and the other reasons.

B) Competing with NFL, NHL, NBA and school. Summer is great, only competition is baseball.

drewski
the only way this works is if every winter game is played on the west coast (not possible btw)

or you make a domed stadium like they did in Norway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenor_Arena

daner90
I love the way the MLS sked runs now, get some of the Saturday games with the sun shining and hot outside and it is perfect! If MLS just listened to FIFA international schedule and didnt schedule games on top of it everything would be ok!

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Quick question: Who here is willing to sit outside on a cold Novermber or February evening to watch Toronto play at BMO Field? Let's be honest with ourselves, thrown in a little rain or snow and you're talking about possible hypothermia going on.

ROFLMAO!!!!

I would get a touque, some gloves, torontofc scarf, long johns underneath my pants, and a fleece underneath my nice bubble jacket, and some throat lozenges, im GOOD TO GO,

i mean think of skiing, or snowboarding with out snowpants? no

Shway
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
How? I think it would certainly have the opposite effect.

A) Freezing cold, and the other reasons.

B) Competing with NFL, NHL, NBA and school. Summer is great, only competition is baseball.

Theres no competing with NFL! to be honest

and like i said soccer is on the RISE, americans dont go hard on the hockey things as much as Canadians do,
in future years look for soccer to surpass hockey
1) hockey is too expensive
2) hockey is too expensive
3) hockey is a sport Candians are better then Americans, so they try to act like they dont care about the sport

ExiledRed
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!

I would get a touque, some gloves, torontofc scarf, long johns underneath my pants, and a fleece underneath my nice bubble jacket, and some throat lozenges, im GOOD TO GO,

i mean think of skiing, or snowboarding with out snowpants? no

Good for you, I'm sure you are a young healthy male. Unfortunately not everybody supporting this team is young or healthy. Just because you're good to go, doesn't mean everybody is or wants to be.

In the long run this would damage seat sales league wide, because even the young healthy males get colds, or just plain sick of standing in the freezing cold watching a substandard game. (If you think the players will be on top of their game, you're deluded, (the players don't get to wear ski-jackets and long johns)

Shway
or you make a domed stadium like they did in Norway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenor_Arena

or even that!

Super Cereal
Theres no competing with NFL! to be honest

and like i said soccer is on the RISE, americans dont go hard on the hockey things as much as Canadians do,
in future years look for soccer to surpass hockey
1) hockey is too expensive
2) hockey is too expensive
3) hockey is a sport Candians are better then Americans, so they try to act like they dont care about the sport

There is most certainly competition with the NFL. Especially in a recession.

I'm sorry, that's your opinion. Fact is, MLS would have to compete with 3 major, and more popular leagues if they start in September, and I just don't see that happening.

redcard
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
fans dont like showing up when it rains...why would they show up in the freezing cold?

without the fans theres no money...thats why it will not happen, unless ofcourse the load up the schedule with away matches for the northern teams during Feb and March.

s2cazz
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
i like things the way they are now... in non-WC years, summer is really slow for soccer in most of the world, yet we get hot TFC action throughout June, July, and August.
Then when TFC is over for the year, we get hot European action to fill us up until spring. Perfect.
beat me to it|!...we et year round footy with slight overlaps...its perfect!

Sab0tage
03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
im sure that MLS would do well against NFL, NBA and NHL: That's a major problem. Attendance will drop a lot in the States.

drewski
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Good for you, I'm sure you are a young healthy male. Unfortunately not everybody supporting this team is young or healthy. Just because you're good to go, doesn't mean everybody is or wants to be.

In the long run this would damage seat sales league wide, because even the young healthy males get colds, or just plain sick of standing in the freezing cold watching a substandard game. (If you think the players will be on top of their game, you're deluded, (the players don't get to wear ski-jackets and long johns)

thats what i'm saying yo!

I also imagine the idea of playing home games up here (or any northern city) would be a turn off to many players, especially those who grew up in hot climates

Kevvv
03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
EPL games in the south of England were cancelled this year due to weather. Lotsa luck playing anywhere north of Dallas when the cold hits.

Can we go back to other stuff that won't happen, like a single table?

stugautz
03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
The unplayable season for most teams in MLS runs from Mid November to Mid March. That's 4 months, it's really tough to keep mid season fan interest in a team over that long a period. You could theoretically have situations where TFC won't see BMO field from the end of October until the beginning of April, 5 months (assuming pre and post break games are played in the warmer climate cities). That's a long time to ask fans to stay interested.

KrazyKanadian
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
T-O-R *clap clap*
O-N-T *clap clap*
HOLLLY CRAP, I'M FREEEEEEZING

*clap clap*

MrHawk
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
So we're going to start MLS in September vs:

NFL
NHL
MLB Playoffs
All the major European leagues

Am I missing something here?

BTW Russia (like most nothern euro leagues) has just begun their season.

rocker
03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
EPL games in the south of England were cancelled this year due to weather. Lotsa luck playing anywhere north of Dallas when the cold hits.

funny that you mention Dallas.. my GF was there in february for business, and she said there was snow at one point.. and some around 0 temps. they have some pretty wild fluctuations in weather down there around that time.

MrHawk
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
It does snow in the southern states.
Not often, but yes it does.

Shway
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM

your right the players wouldnt wear long johns and ski jackets
they would where under armour and would be constantly moving causing more movement in your body then you would skiing....
on the bench they can wear TFC embroided skii-jackets

Rudi
03-25-2009, 03:18 PM
they would where under armour and would be constantly moving causing more movement in your body then you would skiing....
Jesus Christ.

We're lucky you're not running MLS. There would be no league left after one season, after all the fans decide something, anything is better than freezing their nuts off in the dead of winter.

CretanBull
03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I have no interest in freezing my ass off all winter long...MLSE would lose a ton of money in beer sales (and can't sell hot chocolate/tea/coffee for $12.50!)....it's completely unreasonable to expect players to play outdoors in the winter in Canada and the Northern states. In snow, that walk from BMO to Joe's would feel like 10 miles!

TFC FORZA RPB
03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
i think that would be really interesting, to watch a game during the middle of january in a snowstorm where we get hit with a foot of snow in 24 hours, then the temperature drops to -20

jrey
03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
this is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

never going to happen - end of story.

AL-MO
03-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I can't imagine playing footy outdoors in february. I have issues playing pond hockey in February dressed in winter clothing.

Won't happen. This would be a good way to kill off a fan base. Also I don't think North American's would take too well to a long winter break in a sport that isn't ingrained in their culture.

jrey
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM

just out of curiosity, why do you fucking care so much? i know you started this post, but it wasn't YOUR idea, and YOU are not being criticized.

the MLS is just gaining stability now... why in the HELL would they even think about making this a winter season.

we're the most hardcore fans in the league and 90% of us wouldn't do it - try and get those american fans to come to a game when it's less then 15 degrees outside.

sorry, but it's just plain stupid.

Shway
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
it sounds stupid, but im saying the possiblity is there, i didnt say it, just bringing it to reality

Shway
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
and if MLSE would look sales, and people would give up their seasons, im sure there are thousands who would take there spot to be a DIE HARD FAN-(supporting your team by any means)

jrey
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
and if MLSE would look sales, and people would give up their seasons, im sure there are thousands who would take there spot to be a DIE HARD FAN-(supporting your team by any means)

no. there aren't. not many teams have waiting lists, you know. many have season tickets available

it sounds stupid, but im saying the possiblity is there, i didnt say it, just bringing it to reality

no. you're not bringing it anywhere.

unless you have about $500 million dollars to spare.

do you?

Shway
03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
well i do,
since my father is in part ownership of the Abu Dhabi investement group
(since you got jokes)

jrey
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
well i do,
since my father is in part ownership of the Abu Dhabi investement group
(since you got jokes)

is he proud that his son is barely coherent at best?

edit: ask him how man city is going for me, will you?

Shway
03-25-2009, 03:56 PM
probally proud that his son knows how to relay information, and to comment and not take things personall as if the world was comming to an end, seems to me that someone is oblivious to things that are said prior to forum talk
no one is proud to be oblivious

Beach_Red
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
So we're going to start MLS in September vs:

NFL
NHL
MLB Playoffs
All the major European leagues

Am I missing something here?

BTW Russia (like most nothern euro leagues) has just begun their season.

How long did the USFL last after they went from being a summer league to a fall league? One year? Two?

Although, CFL and NFL fans put up with some damned cold weather - Edmonton in November, Green Bay and Buffalo in January. Of course, the players aren't wearinh shorts...

jrey
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
^^ refer to my last comment. then slow down, think real hard, and write something intelligent. i can wait.

T_Mizz
03-25-2009, 04:05 PM
This would be ridiculous you'd need to play every single winter game in the south just to make it bearable which would fuck the schedule up something fierce

MrHawk
03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
<insert thread getting out of hand>

jrey
03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
<insert thread getting out of hand>

i wouldn't say that.

i have no intention of taking this any further than a reasonable argument.

i wouldn't want to disrespect the son of an abu dhabi investor, now would I?

nfitz
03-25-2009, 04:20 PM
edit: ask him how man city is going for me, will you?Good grief, is there not a single woman in the city of Abu Dhabi ... or do they just not worthy of mentioning.:)

Shway
03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
kinda of like JFrey comments

ExiledRed
03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Jahinho,

You're one of a number of people on here that like to set the bar as to what defines a DIE HARD fan. You're suggesting that somehow only those people who are young, healthy and stupid enough to watch games at BMO in mid february are worthy enough to have tickets.

You need to grow up a bit I think.

Flipityflu
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
you can forget any chance of us seeing real grass if we play during the winter.

Shway
03-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Exile,

I dont care if you ``put``me in that number of people that like to set the bar as to what defines a DIE HARD FAN. Im am not sugesting that those who are youn, healthy and stupid, im talking to the ones who sing TORONTO TILL I DIE, TORONTO TILL I DIE, I KNOW I AM , IM SURE I AM TORONTO TILL I DIE, or other chants that talk about the person and the team being together through thick, thin. If somehow the league changes for Sepp Blatters sake, and TFC is scheduled to play a game in mid november at -10, and the DIE HARDS go to chant the team on but other fans wont because of weather, theres the difference between a die hard fan and just a fan....

what are you

As far as me growing up, i think im grown enough to know what a supporter is and a die hard fan?

are you grown enough to know the difference

jrey
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
kinda of like JFrey comments

i find it hilarious that:

a) you said you weren't taking shots at me, but clearly are.
and
b) you can't even spell my four letter username correctly.

ExiledRed is right. Grow up. To be honest, I'm 23 and immature as hell but you make me look like a granddad.

jrey
03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Exile,

I dont care if you ``put``me in that number of people that like to set the bar as to what defines a DIE HARD FAN. Im am not sugesting that those who are youn, healthy and stupid, im talking to the ones who sing TORONTO TILL I DIE, TORONTO TILL I DIE, I KNOW I AM , IM SURE I AM TORONTO TILL I DIE, or other chants that talk about the person and the team being together through thick, thin. If somehow the league changes for Sepp Blatters sake, and TFC is scheduled to play a game in mid november at -10, and the DIE HARDS go to chant the team on but other fans wont because of weather, theres the difference between a die hard fan and just a fan....

what are you

As far as me growing up, i think im grown enough to know what a supporter is and a die hard fan?

i'm a die hard fan. i've been here since the beginning. i don't miss games unless i'm out of the country.

toronto til i die is correct, but toronto (and the league) might not exist if they move to a winter sched.

jrey
03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
god, enough of this stupid, meaningless argument already.

brad
03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Blatter is an idiot

/thread

kodiakTFC
03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Heres a major downside, CBC wont be willing to broadcast Saturday games because of hockey coverage. So we lose our best ratings and go up against the Leafs. I like how it is now thank you.

ExiledRed
03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Exile,

what are you

I'm a 36 year old father of two, with questionable health.

I wouldn't make matches in Mid february because of the weather. It would likely kill me, and leave my kids orphaned. Are you going to tell me I'm not a DIE HARD fan because of these limitations?

I've been attending football matches since before you were tadpole shaped I'll bet, and I'm proud of the loyalty I've shown both of my teams, but you cant forget that we do this because it's fun. If it's not fun anymore what is the point?

LucaGol
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
many leagues don't start in september but still follow the FIFA calendar

The league timeline is fine the way it is, just allow breaks for FIFA weekends, FIFA world cup or EURO break every 2 years, and the odd FIFA wednesday qualifiers

Just squeeze the schedule a bit, increase roster size and player salaries

ginkster88
03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
This could never work in Toronto. Never. You could kiss all of the luxury box owners goodbye; who wants to entertain a client in the freezing cold? Sure you could close the door and go inside, but then what's the point of having the box at all?

The beer garden wouldn't be open (probably a significant loss of revenue), and if there were ever a stiff breeze the cold in the 200s would be unbearable. MLS in Toronto would wither and die, to be sure.

As for the rest of the league, it could work in theory... the northeast teams would face some of the same difficulties as Toronto but by and large the teams are more southern.

ExiledRed
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
. MLS in Toronto would wither and die, to be sure.

No, Paul would be fine. It's the rest of us I'm worried about.

ginkster88
03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Well played sir, well played.

kodiakTFC
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
The beer garden wouldn't be open (probably a significant loss of revenue), and if there were ever a stiff breeze the cold in the 200s would be unbearable. MLS in Toronto would wither and die, to be sure.

Fine with me, just open up a Tim Hortans Garden with spiked hot chocolate.

jloome
03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
No, Paul would be fine. It's the rest of us I'm worried about.

Father of two? Thus, the questionable health.

Chewy Unikronik
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
But in recent news, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has stated to the MLS Board that they need to change to a September to May schedule (in other words “like the rest of the world”) to comply with the FIFA friendly dates, and transfer dates.

Ummm... Who came up with this little gem? And, I'm assuming then that the "the rest of the world" does not include Russia?

You go stand outside in February to watch a game if you want, count me out.

jloome
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
this is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

never going to happen - end of story.

You haven't been reading these forums religiously. While, indeed, incredibly daft, it's pretty much par for the course.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM

+1 I agree

I love going to a TFC game in 25C weather and having a nice ICE cold beer and enjoying myself!

No thanks for freezing my ass off in early December or mid-late Feb!! I don't find it enjoyable just shoveling my driveway!, nevermind shoveling then driving down to BMO, standing in the cold, then going back to clean off all the snow on my car, then back home to shovel!!

Screw that!

ginkster88
03-25-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm skeptical about that FIFA quote: why should FIFA care if MLS scheduling conflicts with FIFA dates; the players still play for their national sides, it's only hurting the league.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Exile,

what are you

I'm a die hard

but if you think for one minute that i'll be standing at BMO in -20C weather with the wind chill bringing it to -26C and its snowing....FUCK THAT!!

You will never catch me doing that, unless of course its CONCACAF Champions League Quarter finals or MLS CUP Finals..Other then that you are on crack!

I can just sit at my warm home and watch them on TV!!!

TOBOR !
03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
If this were to go down, the one word you'd see more than any other is.... (wait for it) : postponed.

Blatter is off his nut.

Dozitwin
03-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Sweden and Norway seem to do ok playing the same schedule as the MLS. The league just needs to get its' head out of its' ass when it comes to international weeks.

I agree and this year the league has at least freed up a few weekend that conflict with international dates.

nfitz
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
No thanks for freezing my ass off in early December or mid-late Feb!! I don't find it enjoyable just shoveling my driveway!, nevermind shoveling then driving down to BMO, standing in the cold, then going back to clean off all the snow on my car, then back home to shovel!! That explains why they can't sell out Leafs games ...

jrey
03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
That explains why they can't sell out Leafs games ...

except every leaf game has been sold out since 1946.

sellout doesn't mean all attended, especially this year, but they were technically sold out.

longest streak in north american pro sports, i think.

BRed
03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Absolutely nuts! That will never happen for the sole reason that playing soccer in any kind of winter weather (snow or no snow) rips tendons and ligaments!!! Therefore half of your roster will be injured by the 2nd game of the season, now how is that ever smart? Let's risk our assets so we can fit more games. I would think trying to add more weekly games is a better approach.

nascarguy
03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
That explains why they can't sell out Leafs games ...
leaf games are boring ....

but MLS will have scheduling conflicts next year with the world cup

Toronto Ruffrider
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I can't see MLS adopting a fall/winter schedule, which is fine because I wouldn't like it anyway. I know we haven't had much snow since January, but all one has to do to gain some common sense is to picture some of that beautiful blowing snow that we got last winter. When snowblower sales are taking off at Canadian Tire, it's a good sign that outdoor sports excluding skiing, snowboarding and the like should be played another day.

By the way, just imagine what it would be like to watch a game at BMO during a snow storm. Most of the stands at BMO are made of medal, and they would either be treacherous when covered in snow or they would get corroded quickly if heavily salted. Either way, it's plain to see that BMO is not a winter venue. There is a reason why TFC was never given the nickname "Blizzard."

bignickel
03-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm a die hard

but if you think for one minute that i'll be standing at BMO in -20C weather with the wind chill bringing it to -26C and its snowing....FUCK THAT!!

You will never catch me doing that, unless of course its CONCACAF Champions League Quarter finals or MLS CUP Finals..Other then that you are on crack!

I can just sit at my warm home and watch them on TV!!!

man, if i can go ice fishing for 5 hours in weather like that i could definitely handle 2 hours at bmo, hell i wouldn't even have to catch my lunch! can't bring a case of wine like we do fishing though.

koryo
03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
But in recent news, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has stated to the MLS Board that they need to change to a September to May schedule (in other words “like the rest of the world”) to comply with the FIFA friendly dates, and transfer dates.

Sepp Blatter is an idiot. He needs to spend one winter here before shooting his mouth off.

maninb
03-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Close this thread! This Jahinho dude has embarrassed himself enough!!

Canary Canuck
03-26-2009, 09:44 AM
He also said women's teams should wear booty shorts and all leagues cut to 16 teams..... He can blab all he wants

Alarius
03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
http://7amkickoff.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/sepp.jpg

Alarius
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
http://soccerlens.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/blatter-kick.jpg

Alarius
03-26-2009, 09:53 AM
if he can't kick a ball.. his opinions don't matter...

ParadymeTFC
03-26-2009, 11:02 AM
20,000 drunk soccer fans + unlimited supply of snowballs = never gonna happen.

/thread closed

jrey
03-26-2009, 11:10 AM

So true.

^^ Snowballs, eh? Never mind, I demand a winter season! :D

Shway
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM

just because you start a post doesnt mean its your IDEA, like ive said before, i didnt say HMMM MLS SHOULD START IN SEPTEMBER, or did i say Sepp? sorry i think were just skipping somes key points to what people say, so dont embarrass yourself by taking a general thread and letting your emotions interfere with your intelect .....