PDA

View Full Version : Reds without Guevara, Robinson

JDG
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=230397&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Reds without Guevara, Robinson

TFC trained in Mississauga Tuesday

03/24/2009 05:09 PM
Toronto FC Media Relations

Toronto FC trained at Hershey Centre in Mississauga on Tuesday as they prepare for Saturday's clash with the Columbus Crew. The team is without midfielders Amado Guevara and Carl Robinson who are away on international duty this week playing World Cup Qualifiers.

dantdot
03-24-2009, 09:30 PM
So Frei's starting and TFC TV is showing the game live. Schweeet.

Super Cereal
03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm happy Frei is starting!

I hope Cronin can play CDM for Robinson, and that Smith and Vitti start (or at least get some playing time).

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2009, 10:24 PM
- Replace Robbo with Cronin
- Replace Guevara with DeRo
- Replace DeRo with Vitti

Good to go. International dates don't frighten me as much as they did last season. :D

- Scott

backbeat
03-24-2009, 10:32 PM
but who do you replace Cronin with??

Smith me thinks....

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
but who do you replace Cronin with??

Smith me thinks....

Sure, why not. It's not like Smith ever looked bad last season. I'd be fine with him in.

- Scott

Jack
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
-------Vitti ---- Barrett------
Smith----DeRo----Cronin------RR
Brennio--Harmse--Serioux--Wynne

Could work. I hope Smith's got his head on straight.

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I sometimes wonder how Wynne would do, as a winger. He's already playing his RB role as more of a RWB. And he showed somewhat of a scoring touch near the end of last season. And obviously his speed would be deadly.

If our defense had more depth, I'd be interested to try it in a meaningless game this season (either because we have clinched the playoffs, or because we are officially eliminated).

His tendency to press up the pitch (which has actually been somewhat of a PROBLEM with him on defense), might be an asset as on the wing.

- Scott

Jack
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
He played there in year one. The problem is, I like his speed much better on the overlap. I found that when he was a winger, he couldn't create much while when he overlaps he can be much more dangerous coming with a head of steam up the wing.

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
He played there in year one. The problem is, I like his speed much better on the overlap. I found that when he was a winger, he couldn't create much while when he overlaps he can be much more dangerous coming with a head of steam up the wing.

I'd love to mail Wynne a wheelbarrow of VHS tapes filled with nothing but footage of Dani Alves playing football.

If he can even become 50% of the player Dani Alves is, oh man...

Plus, Alves' style of play is 100% suited to Wynne's strengths - lots of speed, overlapping, and tracking up and down the touch line. Not as good with pinpointing his crosses, obviously. This MLS after all. :D

- Scott

Yohan
03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I'd love to mail Wynne a wheelbarrow of VHS tapes filled with nothing but footage of Dani Alves playing football.

If he can even become 50% of the player Dani Alves is, oh man...

Plus, Alves' style of play is 100% suited to Wynne's strengths - lots of speed, overlapping, and tracking up and down the touch line. Not as good with pinpointing his crosses, obviously. This MLS after all. :D

- Scott
Or Bosingwa...

Deffo agree with Jack. Wynne is most effective at RB. A lot of MLS fullbacks don't know how to do the overlap thing well. (Except maybe Bornstein)

RPLProducer
03-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Yes! He kinda reminds me of Philipp Lahm in this regards... Very dangerous on the overlap.