PDA

View Full Version : No small Frei: TFC rookie impressive

JDG
03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=230578&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

No small Frei: TFC rookie impressive
Rookie goalkeeper earns praise for work in Reds' season-opening win

03/24/2009 08:17 PM
By Mark Polishuk / MLSnet.com Staff

TORONTO -- Some rookie goalkeepers might wish for their first professional start to be full of blocked penalty kicks, acrobatic saves or (hey, why not, it's a fantasy) maybe even a Danny Cepero-esque miracle goal. Toronto FC's Stefan Frei, however, is happy to just be part of the background.

RedRum
03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I like the fact he never mentions at least one of the goals was a deflection. No excuses, just class.

poppamidnight
03-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I actually thought Frei was really solid....

Many of you know my one frustration with Sutton has been how he's just not vocal with his defenders....

...in a sense their not aware of all they could be...

Not sure if anyone noticed but Frei - Talks LOUD and LOTS.... (I initially thought it was some roudy fan next to the sound guy, until i distinguished "AMADO!!! AMADO!!!... get over here")
and our Defenders looked more aware of it,

ESPECIALLY on corners....

It's only 1 game, but i've seen 2 yrs of Suttons downfall, and I can honestly say if Frei sticks with the style he had that game, then our team is better w/ Frei in net

gtaguy
03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I like the fact he never mentions at least one of the goals was a deflection. No excuses, just class.

i'm not sure if a seasoned professional would have been able to stop those two shots that ended up been goals..
first goal was a laser and the second was a deflection.. he might have had the angle on the second shot but well never know..
first game and I liked what I saw. kinda like a young sutton but versatile.

James Oliphant
03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Uh....deflection?

Where are you guys seeing a deflection?

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I will reserve my ultimate judgment on the kid, until I see him in a few games were he faces shots he can actually save.

He did the other stuff well though. Good distribution, organized the back line, and did lots of commanding on set pieces.

- Scott

rocker
03-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Uh....deflection?

Where are you guys seeing a deflection?

watch the replay and you'll see the angle changes slightly when it passes the mass of players.

Cashcleaner
03-25-2009, 02:02 AM
He's shaping up well, but I'm gonna hold off on a final judgement until I see Sutton back for a few games as well. I think I predicted Frei could very well replace Sutton as early as 2011, maybe sooner if injuries take their toll on Greg (I certainly don't want that to happen, though).

James Oliphant
03-26-2009, 06:52 PM
watch the replay and you'll see the angle changes slightly when it passes the mass of players.

And watch the other angle and you'll see no one touches it.

It's called air getting under the ball. I suppose you think Jim Brennan's goal in season 1 was deflected too.

Dunkers
03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
And watch the other angle and you'll see no one touches it.

It's called air getting under the ball. I suppose you think Jim Brennan's goal in season 1 was deflected too.

XeWZqzKFI-I

At 5:45, you can see the balls tragectory turn as it passes the last grouping of TFC players. That would have to have been a strong and sudden gust of wind...

CretanBull
03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Both goals were screamers that I doubt any MLS keeper would have been able to stop. He did look a little confused once or twice handling crosses into the box. There was one time that I remember where he was indecisive and in other situations it would have cost us a goal. Those are 'rookie mistakes' that won't happen when he gets some experience and learns to better communicate with the defenders.

jloome
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
On the slow motion replay, I'm inclined to agree. When I first saw it I thought it was just a riser as well, but it definitely gets tipped up a good five or 10 degrees.

jloome
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Both goals were screamers that I doubt any MLS keeper would have been able to stop. He did look a little confused once or twice handling crosses into the box. There was one time that I remember where he was indecisive and in other situations it would have cost us a goal. Those are 'rookie mistakes' that won't happen when he gets some experience and learns to better communicate with the defenders.

Yeah, there was one cross to the back post that he came late on, but it was cleared off the back post by one of our players. There was another he came out for but didn't reach -- and he should've stayed on his line, given how much commitment TFC had on the play -- but I believe Serioux cleared it.

It's also noteworthy however how quickly he got down on that low shot to his right, which most keepers would've pushed out for a fat rebound, if they reached it in the first place. It was a lot faster and harder than it looked, but Frei was lightning going down for it.

RedRum
03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Looking at the replay again, I'm sure both goals were deflections.

CretanBull
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Petr Cech wouldn't have stopped either of those goals, Frei can't be faulted for them. His positioning and decision making need some work, but only time and experience will help that...the MLS is a lot quicker than NCAA, he'll need to adjust - it's only natural.

ThunderTundra
03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm not going to say he's good or bad quite yet. He wasn't fully tested at KC. We may see what he's made of over the next two games during a rivalry game with pressure to perform and the first home game when he may not be able to hear his thoughts :D

rocker
03-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I suppose you think Jim Brennan's goal in season 1 was deflected too.

I suppose you need a better computer screen (or glasses) ;)

TorCanSoc
03-26-2009, 11:21 PM
OK, I see the deflection. But get Sutton back in.

Oldtimer
03-27-2009, 07:34 AM
It's not just a deflection, but Frei was screened.
That shot would have been impossible to stop in time, even by a "world class" GK.

IMO, I still prefer Sutton in net because of experience. However, within the next couple of years, I could see Frei being one of the better GK in MLS. The kid is impressive.

Shaughno
03-27-2009, 07:39 AM
It's not just a deflection, but Frei was screened.
That shot would have been impossible to stop in time, even by a "world class" GK.

IMO, I still prefer Sutton in net because of experience. However, within the next couple of years, I could see Frei being one of the better GK in MLS. The kid is impressive.

Agreed, both of those goals were basically unstoppable.

In the long run this season, I would tend to agree but IMO if I was Carver, I'd be giving this kid as many games as I could as aside from experience, I don't see much that Sutton has over Frei. The kid is super fast and commanding of his area. Both very key qualities. He will make mistakes, don't get me wrong, but Sutton makes his fair share as well. So why not let the kid gain experience whenever we can?