PDA

View Full Version : Dear John of CBC sports

J .
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
The lady who ran the halftime show said "FC" supporters. Why was she referring to the Montreal Impact FC fans while showing TFC fans?

Please ensure this does not happen again.

Love what you are doing thus far, but FC is unacceptable.

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
While I agree that it is ridiculous to call them "FC" instead of TFC, I don't believe the Impact have FC in their name.

werewolf
05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
perhaps she was making reference to FC Dallas supporters for some reason

Cambridge_Red
05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Relax they're still very new to this game and our team.

J .
05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
This is relaxed

Well then, adding FC to the end of Montreal Impact is like dropping the T from TFC.

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 02:14 PM
This is relaxed

Well then, adding FC to the end of Montreal Impact is like dropping the T from TFC.

Not exactly. That would indicate that all teams should have FC as part of their official name. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
...keep it up guys...it's almost back to the point of being funny

ilikemusic
05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
TFC broadcasts have alot more pressing issues than what acronym Brenda Irving uses when referencing Toronto fans.

Jay P
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM
lets start on getting the players names right

carlos velez ... cough

Dirk Diggler
05-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Not this shit again.....

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Not this shit again.....

Absolutely! New board, same threads! :)

Jamaicanadian
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
The lady on the "weather network" network made the same mistake yesterday afternoon....I promptly changed the channel and will only check the weather forecast on the internet from now on!!!

jimiv
05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
TFC broadcasts have alot more pressing issues than what acronym Brenda Irving uses when referencing Toronto fans.

Ain't that the truth

werewolf
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
sure they have more important things to worry about, that wasn't a Grade A broadcast. But getting the fundamentals down would go a long way. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

FluSH
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Unacceptable

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Fire brenda irving...useless c**t... the camera work seemed a little off even by cbc
standards, maybe they should bring in someone from the uk to instruct the camera man how to do a football match....oh yes cbc stick those stanley cup game notices of the god damn screen they take up 50% of the viewing space...you gives a flying
f**k abouth detroit and Pissburgh anyways.

FluSH
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM

If people only knew the power of words.... "COLLATERAL DAMAGE"

James Oliphant
05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
you gives a flying
f**k abouth detroit and Pissburgh anyways.

4 million people every game, apparently.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
4 million people every game, apparently.

that can't be US viewers..haha...thought the canadian news says this years nhl playoff viewers are down?

James Oliphant
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Down slightly in Canada...up significantly in the US. Game 2 was the most-watched NHL playoff game of all-time.

GBV
05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
enough already.
the cows are home.

GBV
05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Down slightly in Canada...up significantly in the US. Game 2 was the most-watched NHL playoff game of all-time.

really? shit, i had no idea. i guess americans love their monday night sports?
i had heard 2.3m in the u.s. for game 1 and 2.1 here.

GBV
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
perhaps she was making reference to FC Dallas supporters for some reason

i think you know better.
i also know there are other cities/towns/villages in this world which begin with the letter T which have FCs.
i don't mistake "TFC" for them.
playing dumb ain't no fun.

James Oliphant
05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxMI2lZBPozWu7EcLqsLc-JtZAfg

Game 2 = 2.5+ in the US and 1.87 in Canada.

And apologies...I read it wrong. It was the most-watched in six years. Not exactly "all-time". My mistake. Still, a vast improvement over last year.

GBV
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM

And apologies...I read it wrong. It was the most-watched in six years. Not exactly "all-time". My mistake. Still, a vast improvement over last year.

that's impressive that it's the biggest in six years, even.
it's not like seeing game one led people to believe game two would be exciting.
and to draw the highest in six years while taking on monday night raw!?
props.

ag futbol
05-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes the stupid CBC, how dare they perpetuate soccer coverage. Fuck they even had the nerve to put up an online stream on their website for people who didn't have the channel.

What a bunch of jerks!

TFCREDNWHITE
05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I like CBC. I think they are really trying to come onboard and help TFC out and themselves at the same time. We should be supportive of the CBC.

dupont
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes the stupid CBC, how dare they perpetuate soccer coverage. Fuck they even had the nerve to put up an online stream on their website for people who didn't have the channel.

What a bunch of jerks!

Just what I was thinking! At least I got to watch the game! If it wasn't for CBC I would have just read the boxscore on the internet.

Daveisonfire
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I think she was talking about FC United of Manchester actually...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2W-Pu3uQHBc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2W-Pu3uQHBc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

J .
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
1. Important to get the name right
2. We should be happy they are onboard and they should be happy we watch so they get ad revenue
3. There is no reason they cannot call it by its accurate name
4. Your posts on how you do not like this thread are irrelevant and I fail to see why you chose to post. Maybe I'll go delete the thread because YOU do not like it.

I will repost what I said.
The lady who ran the halftime show said "FC" supporters. Why was she referring to the Montreal Impact FC fans while showing TFC fans?

Did I tell them to stop covering? No. I pointed out an important error the media continuously makes and something I will continuously point out.

If you don't like it, don't reply or read my threads. I couldn't care less.

Dirk Diggler
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM
2. We should be happy they are onboard and they should be happy we watch so they get ad revenue
4. Your posts on how you do not like this thread are irrelevant and I fail to see why you chose to post. Maybe I'll go delete the thread because YOU do not like it.

I will repost what I said.

Did I tell them to stop covering? No. I pointed out an important error the media continuously makes and something I will continuously point out.

If you don't like it, don't reply or read my threads. I couldn't care less.

I hate it when people ask others to stop posting in the thread if they don't like it. Thats just stupid. How else is someone supposed to voice their criticism? Can you imagine Bush telling the public to stop criticizing his foreign policies if they don't like it? That's just ridiculous.

stretchthetruth
05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I hate it when people ask others to stop posting in the thread if they don't like it. Thats just stupid. How else is someone supposed to voice their criticism? Can you imagine Bush telling the public to stop criticizing his foreign policies if they don't like it? That's just ridiculous.

Uhhhhh....... he does. Surely you've heard all the "its un-American to criticize the president" rhetoric? Unless youre being ironic, in which case, well played.

werewolf
05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Regardless of who is agreeing and posting where, these points still are valid.

Dirk Diggler
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Uhhhhh....... he does. Surely you've heard all the "its un-American to criticize the president" rhetoric? Unless youre being ironic, in which case, well played.

Nicely picked up :hump:. Usually I don't get involved in "Bush bashing" but this was too good not to pass up. So you guys at Homeland Security can call off the lynch mob now :D

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Yeah I get nobody likes repetition but at any time somebody new may be watching so...every time they get it wrong and nobody points it out nobody changes. It's also important to point out when they get it right.
Anybody notice how many times that Barbara from CBC says footabll vs soccer? Try and get MLS (ESPN?)coverage to change "PK" talk ever again. Doubtful.

egoodwin
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I was rather disappointed with the quality of the broadcast...

from Nigel Reed calling the game solo, to the horrible capturing of the sound of the crowd (it sounded like CBC mic'd one supporter during Dichio 24, one supporter who sung Dichio 24 wrong, while you could hear other voices in the background it sounded like one person sung it), the sound of the stadium was down right horrible...

The camera work was shoddy as well, occasionally the camera couldn't move fast enough or far over enough and play happened outside the view of the camera

It was disappointing and a pain to watch, which reminded me of the disaster that was the Charleston Cup broadcasts

The overall product was no where near the standard of a normal TFC broadcast on CBC...

I hope the product is much improved to the high standard we've seen previously by the next game, especially when it's on the main network...

Davenport
05-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Almost as many who watch Coronation Street.
Hockey's done....the sooner CBC realise it the better.

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey gang.

Just saw this thread now (been away from the computer for a few days), so I thought I would take the time to respond to some of the issues brought up here.

I understand that a lot of you don't like Brena Iriving and feel she shouldn't be doing soccer, but she is an exceptional broadcaster and I think to refer to her as a "useless c*nt" is, to be honest, crass and tasteless. You guys are better than that.

Second, it was stated here that Nigel was alone in the broadcast booth for the Montreal game. That's not true: Jason de Vos was there with Nigel doing the colour commentary.

Third, regarding the "shoddy camera work", we only had one camera there because during the NHL playoffs we tend to be stretched for resources. I think all things considering, the production of the show was first rate.

Fourth, I'm very disappointed over the use of "the disaster that was the Charleston Cup broadcasts". We put that together withouth the benefit of any add revenue and was done strictly for TFC fans who were suffering through a lack of media coverage leading up to the season. A lot of people at the time were complaing that no network had any pre-season coverage and we went out of out way to give TFC fans a glimpse at the team.

Fifth, again I understand you guys get frustrated some times with certain things (no HD, what you think is shoddy camera work, etc) but I have to say that any MLS team would die for the Network and regional coverage (and online coverage with live streams) that CBC Sports provides. A lot of teams don't get the same level of coverage.

Sorry to rant, but like you, i get frustrated sometimes.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
reporter, CBCSports.ca

DOMIN8R
06-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I love it when we hear back from those who are in the "industry". Johnmolinaro, MLS in Toronto, BMO Field, etc.

Hats off to you John for coming into the hornets nest. I, personally, appreciate your reply!

And before any of you start giving me the fire - try walking in the other man's shoes.;)

The Pope
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
^^ as far as the name calling goes, you have remember that this is the internet, and that happens a lot on the internet, so tell Brenda not to take it too personally

get us some HD now that hockey is done and you'll have alot more happy viewers with less to complain about

ilikemusic
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Why does the text get smaller as your post goes on? :tongue:

You should know though that alot of posters on here are completely annonymous and will say whatever filthy garbage comes off the top of their heads. You really shouldnt expect more from the board. Expect more of certain posters, but not the forum as a whole. Please dont take the most disrespectful posters to be indicative of your overall viewing audience.

Especially the people who are going to call Brenda Irving a useless cunt. You can be sure those people represent a bitter minority who are going to complain about anything they can think of.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I love it when we hear back from those who are in the "industry". Johnmolinaro, MLS in Toronto, BMO Field, etc.

Hats off to you John for coming into the hornets nest. I, personally, appreciate your reply!

And before any of you start giving me the fire - try walking in the other man's shoes.;)

Bingo...music to my ears when they fire back and tell people exactly how good they have it.

Good job John...I appreciate it as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Good on ya John, people all to often look a gift horse in the mouth.
CBC does a relatively good job of coverage (id only change the fact that they play games on Bold) and sometimes people look for something to complain about. Fact of the matter is that Canada is not a soccer country (ideally that will change) and as a result we are not set up to televise soccer in the same manner they might be able to do elsewhere, people need to get over the fact and take what they can get.

Steve
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey gang.

Just saw this thread now (been away from the computer for a few days), so I thought I would take the time to respond to some of the issues brought up here.

I understand that a lot of you don't like Brena Iriving and feel she shouldn't be doing soccer, but she is an exceptional broadcaster and I think to refer to her as a "useless c*nt" is, to be honest, crass and tasteless. You guys are better than that.

Second, it was stated here that Nigel was alone in the broadcast booth for the Montreal game. That's not true: Jason de Vos was there with Nigel doing the colour commentary.

Third, regarding the "shoddy camera work", we only had one camera there because during the NHL playoffs we tend to be stretched for resources. I think all things considering, the production of the show was first rate.

Fourth, I'm very disappointed over the use of "the disaster that was the Charleston Cup broadcasts". We put that together withouth the benefit of any add revenue and was done strictly for TFC fans who were suffering through a lack of media coverage leading up to the season. A lot of people at the time were complaing that no network had any pre-season coverage and we went out of out way to give TFC fans a glimpse at the team.

Fifth, again I understand you guys get frustrated some times with certain things (no HD, what you think is shoddy camera work, etc) but I have to say that any MLS team would die for the Network and regional coverage (and online coverage with live streams) that CBC Sports provides. A lot of teams don't get the same level of coverage.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
reporter, CBCSports.ca

John has some very good points here. Frankly, I don't care when message boards are used to merely release frustration, it's fine, it's healthy, whatever. The problem is, when you have a message board with certain people reading it (John, Paul, Marc, etc) you have to be a little more careful to keep your criticism constructive. I'm sure they love the ability to have an ear to the voice of the people, but everyone has to remember that they are real people too (as are those you're calling "useless c**ts). Offering suggestions, asking questions, is one thing, verbal (text?) abuse is quite another.

Personally, I think this thread started out fine. It was addressed to John, and put (relatively) nicely. We would rather people get the acronym correct. Fine, good feedback, maybe it can be passed on. The problem arose when people decided to use this thread as their own personal sounding board to spout (mostly misguided, and predominantly crass) diatribes over what THEY want. Guess what, it's understood that you would rather watch soccer than hockey, but you are not in the majority! CBC has to show pander to the majority, it's how the world works, live with it.

Essentially, tone it the fuck down guys. What do you honestly hope to accomplish by making things personal, other than having LESS of a voice in the way things are done? Maybe it's time for all people of authority (Paul seems to have already done this) to stop posting on the boards, and just have contact with all of the heads of the groups (be it in person or via email). I'm not saying I don't appreciate your contibution John, but I don't think the masses can handle it.

DOMIN8R
06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Why does the text get smaller as your post goes on? :tongue:

He was whipering at the end:o

My guess - Because he wrote it in another WP S/W then cut and pasted it into the forum. He had a couple of versions/entries/edits before pasting it. Each version had a diferent originating font/pt size.:p

I know from experience!

torfchamilton
06-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I am glad that CBC has continued to carry TFC this year, but am hoping that the game coverage improves. You NEVER get a proper view off an offside call. The cameraman is never in line with the play. Basically to me the camermen seem to be in the wrong position

I don't know what it is and I know that in England they are seasoned pros and I am sure the technical staff know the game, but there is never enough time for a replay or if there is a replay, it is during play.

I guess with more experience it will improve, but that is my #1 complaint is the actual game coverage.

I might be wrong, but I am assuming that the technical staff and camerman for the most part do not know the game?

Stencils
06-05-2008, 12:30 PM
John's great for responding, but no where in his response did he say that Brenda is gonna get a memo regarding the name of our team. Hopefully that will be the case. Or maybe she already knows, but just slipped up.

I think CBC has been great for actually supporting Toronto FC, which is at least 90minutes of broadcast time they could use for something that might get more ratings in our country.

That said, if that support is to be worth anything, I think they have to do the work to get it right. People do make mistakes now and then, of course, but the more people who say 'FC' (mistakenly or not) means the harder it will be to stamp out that misconception.

In related news, I think Greg Lalas in Extra Time remarked about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour? THERE'S something to write in about.

sully
06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
first time I've seen this thread...CBC does do a lot for TFC - while things could improve - they do, do a lot considering ratings are small.. and I appreciate it..

As for:

^^ as far as the name calling goes, you have remember that this is the internet, and that happens a lot on the internet, so tell Brenda not to take it too personally

That's like saying in the 1960s that the phone is just the phone so it doesn't matter if you insult people through it...

there's no need for it..particularly with that kind of insult...

I do wish they all would get the name of our team right.

Steve
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
In related news, I think Greg Lalas in Extra Time remarked about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour? THERE'S something to write in about.

Animal House. Watch it. Seriously. But yeah, go ahead and write to them, of course, you'll look like an idiot, but whatever.

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Bingo...music to my ears when they fire back and tell people exactly how good they have it.

Good job John...I appreciate it as well.

You're welcome. It's my pleasure to respond, and I apologize if I made it sound like I was calling all of you out on the c*unt remark. I realize it was a small minority and not representative of the entire board.

John

Stencils
06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Animal House. Watch it. Seriously. But yeah, go ahead and write to them, of course, you'll look like an idiot, but whatever.

Haven't seen it actually, but google to the rescue. I guess I'm so used to Lalas saying ridiculous things that a clever quote never figured.

Bluenose13
06-05-2008, 12:46 PM
John.........The information that you have posted since the Charleston games has been informative & usually well recieved.

If it was not for CBC we would not have seen either the Montreal game or any of the Charleston games & it was great just see TFC.

Calling someone a c**t for using the wrong terminolgy is just pure ignorance, no matter how it is delivered & thankfully there is just a tiny minority that stoop to this kind of posting.

SilverSamurai
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I forgot to check on this thread.
Overall I think CBC has done well w/ although I don't think Brenda should be up in the booth. I'd swap her with the pitch side guy (Peacock or something like that?).
Besides the HD telecast, my only complaint is about the sound at the Impact match. You could barely hear the crowd sadly :(

Keep it up guys.

Lastly- PLEASE tell me if/when TFC atleast makes the playoffs you'll then broadcast in HD? Atleast give us that!!!

Pachuco
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey gang.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
reporter, CBCSports.ca

Nice post John. Don't disagree with a word you said. I support CBC and I was as shocked as you are to hear that Charleston broadcasting was a disaster. All I personally remember is how gratefull I was that I could watch the boys play. My only frustration is HD, and now that hockey has come to and end that should fix my problem :)

ilikemusic
06-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Nice post John. Don't disagree with a word you said. I support CBC and I was as shocked as you are to hear that Charleston broadcasting was a disaster. All I personally remember is how gratefull I was that I could watch the boys play. My only frustration is HD, and now that hockey has come to and end that should fix my problem :)

Why anybody expected more than bare minimum coverage for the Charleston Cup games is beyond me.:noidea:

Northern Soul
06-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey gang.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
reporter, CBCSports.ca

John, while I understand that you are frustrated, some of what you say here seems petty and hollow.

I do agree that nobody should be calling Brenda Irving a c*nt. That was overboard, for sure. I think, though, that you're missing the point of the post on that one. She, like other broadcasters, drive some of us nuts by calling TFC "FC". Technically, you could also call the Argos "FC" if you wanted, but you don't, because it's stupid.

The part about the Impact game is the hollow part. While you may be "stretched for resources" during the playoffs, how many playoff series were actually being covered at that time? One, the finals. I find it hard to believe that ALL of CBC's cameras were being used on 1 game. Oh, and there wasn't even a game that night. So really, all things considering, the production wasn't first rate.

To be honest, I was just happy that CBC covered the game and are supporting TFC as they are. But for someone who works for the network to come on a message board (of which there are many on the internet) and "defend the company" smacks of desperation.

olegunnar
06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Whens the player getting fixed?
It's funny the LAG game from May 31st doesn't work but last night's hockey game does.

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
John, while I understand that you are frustrated, some of what you say here seems petty and hollow.

I do agree that nobody should be calling Brenda Irving a c*nt. That was overboard, for sure. I think, though, that you're missing the point of the post on that one. She, like other broadcasters, drive some of us nuts by calling TFC "FC". Technically, you could also call the Argos "FC" if you wanted, but you don't, because it's stupid.

The part about the Impact game is the hollow part. While you may be "stretched for resources" during the playoffs, how many playoff series were actually being covered at that time? One, the finals. I find it hard to believe that ALL of CBC's cameras were being used on 1 game. Oh, and there wasn't even a game that night. So really, all things considering, the production wasn't first rate.

To be honest, I was just happy that CBC covered the game and are supporting TFC as they are. But for someone who works for the network to come on a message board (of which there are many on the internet) and "defend the company" smacks of desperation.

Well, considering the thread was specifically addressed to me because people here know I frequently visit this board and often answer any questions they have about CBC's coverage, I'm not sure how you can say my actions 'smack of desperation".

True there was no NHL game that night, but a lot of trucks, cameras, production equipment etc were either in Pittsburgh or Detroit (can't remember which) getting ready for the game. You also have to remember that the CBC is not like TSN and Sportsnet in that we're not an all-sports network and we don't have the same resources as they do.

As for this whole TFC vs FC thing - I'm not even going to respond because I've always felt the entire debate was stupid. I've never used the term TFC because I think it sounds stupid (even if that's what MLSE wants us in the media to use). I also think FC is stupid.

I say this with a great deal of respect for you guys, but you have to get over this entire FC vs. TFC thing. Just enjoy the soccer and enjoy the fact that Toronto FC is being broadcast.

John

FluSH
06-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey gang.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
reporter, CBCSports.ca

Where's the PWNED smiley...?!

Excellent Response John!

Cambridge_Red
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Cheers John. I think it's a case of whining for the point of whining. I think we can all say collectively we're grateful to have a decent broadcast team from CBC. The technical aspects will get better with time. I think we should all realize the priorities of the CBC, Hockey is in more of a demand until that changes the limited resources the CBC has will be with it.

OneLoveOneEric
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Just because we are getting some coverage doesn't mean we have to think it's good coverage.
People don't have to get over the "FC" thing either. I personally don't care about it, but what happened to the customer being right? Aren't you broadcasting for the fans? If feedback told CBC that viewers hated something about The National, would they change it, or tell the people to "get over it"?
And since the CBC is the national broadcaster -- for better or for worse -- and is funded by tax dollars, don't viewers/tax payers have a right to an opinion on the product?
Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to come here and state your opinion, but in my eyes, that opinion is rather churlish.

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Just because we are getting some coverage doesn't mean we have to think it's good coverage.
People don't have to get over the "FC" thing either. I personally don't care about it, but what happened to the customer being right? Aren't you broadcasting for the fans? If feedback told CBC that viewers hated something about The National, would they change it, or tell the people to "get over it"?
And since the CBC is the national broadcaster -- for better or for worse -- and is funded by tax dollars, don't viewers/tax payers have a right to an opinion on the product?
Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to come here and state your opinion, but in my eyes, that opinion is rather churlish.

Fair enough. I respect your view. In my eyes, people getting upset about the use of FC is rather churlish, but to each their own.

I just hope that you next time you hear Jim Brennan say FC as opposed to TFC (and as someone who has interviewed him a lot in the past two years I can attest to the fact he's used the term FC quite a bit) I hope you go after him and call him out with every bit of vitriol and vengeance as you do when CBC Sports or anybody else in the media uses it.

ensco
06-05-2008, 06:10 PM
John, re the whole "TFC vs FC" thing being an MLSE-inspired ploy,

1) I think you will find that you are incorrect, and that it came organically from the boards....

2) Even if it was an MLSE idea, I think it's kind of funny that CBC have no problem with things like naming rights (ie Pengrowth Saddledome instead of Saddledome) but somehow this would be a bridge too far

3) You're right about Jim Brennan, I've seen him say "FC" too, but I think he's an exception, most of the players do use TFC. There's a big difference between a CBC reporter and a player anyway. Players are (I say this with love and respect) almost all programmed cliche-o-matic machines, and mostly they aren't around for long. The reporter is far more influential in terms of validating things like a team nickname.

Anyway, cheers :canada:

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
John, re the whole "TFC vs FC" thing being an MLSE-inspired ploy,

1) I think you will find that you are incorrect, and that it came organically from the boards....

2) Even if it was an MLSE idea, I think it's kind of funny that CBC have no problem with things like naming rights (ie Pengrowth Saddledome instead of Saddledome) but somehow this would be a bridge too far

Anyway, cheers

You're probably right about it coming organically from the boards, but I can tell you that MLSE sent us a memo before the club played its first game and told us we should refer to the club as TFC.

Again, I say this with a great deal of respect, but I think this entire debate is silly and people make way too much out of it.

Can't we all just enjoy the soccer and get along.:)

RedRum
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Fair enough. I respect your view. In my eyes, people getting upset about the use of FC is rather churlish, but to each their own.

Why is that churlish? TFC is the name of the team. FC could refer to probably 100 teams. Never mind wrong, it's sounds rookie - big time

I just hope that you next time you hear Jim Brennan say FC as opposed to TFC (and as someone who has interviewed him a lot in the past two years I can attest to the fact he's used the term FC quite a bit) I hope you go after him and call him out with every bit of vitriol and vengeance as you do when CBC Sports or anybody else in the media uses it.

No doubt the only reason Jimmy would say FC would be because he was repeating what you said in the first place, and he is just too humble a guy to correct your mistake on camera.

RedRum
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Again, I say this with a great deal of respect, but I think this entire debate is silly and people make way too much out of it.

Dude... only because you have no concept of just how dumb you sound when you say it. And I say this with a great deal of respect.

netsan
TFC is stupid? Well these are stupid too:

TTC
OPP
CBC
DNA
DVP

ensco

Yes!!

Stencils
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM

If that's true, I hope he DOES get ragged on for it by anyone in the vicinity to do so. I think people aren't upset about people saying FC. I think people are upset about other people not taking the sport or the team seriously enough to get facts correct on a national broadcast. Ah well. Give it time. I think the people with vitriol and vengeance are the loud minority btw. Most of us just politely sigh with the feeling of helplessness (like when you're trying to teach your aging parents how to switch the television from cable to the dvd input and they just...don't...get it).

Next time Jim Brennan posts here, I'll be sure to rag him about calling it FC btw. :D

I for one love the CBC. When things like this happen, I just wince and feel bad. I want you guys to do better! I'm rooting for you, really!

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Why is that churlish? TFC is the name of the team. FC could refer to probably 100 teams. Never mind wrong, it's sounds rookie - big time

No doubt the only reason Jimmy would say FC would be because he was repeating what you said in the first place, and he is just too humble a guy to correct your mistake on camera.

well, as I've said in a previous post, i've never used the term TFC or FC so Jim used FC of his own choice, not because he was too humble to correct my mistake.

I think it's churlish because Toronto FC is the name of the club. I feel TFC is a nickname, not the proper name of the club.

Again, can't we all just get along and focus on what's really important - the soccer.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-05-2008, 06:25 PM
For those of you bitching about FC...think about all the other names we use in our daily life. When we say the Sun...how do people no we ain't talking about the UK Newspaper. Seriously this arguement is week.

ag futbol
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
This debate has just gone way beyond stupid.

CBC puts far more resources than anyone else we've had doing our broadcast. Pardon me if i missed the pre-game from the score or sportsnet. Because they look like they spent about $10 on it total.

Let's not forget that these things have improved over the past year. They've gone from two reporters in the booth and one shakey camrea who occcasionally missed the play, to a pretty solid camrea job four reporters, half-time features that are worth watching, and a decent post game wrap up.

No we're all just going to have a bitch fest about the little details like the 10% of the time when the one reporter calls our team FC. boo fucking hoo, temper your expectations a little bit and take note of the improvements. Things are looking up.

RedRum
06-05-2008, 06:33 PM
I feel TFC is a nickname, not the proper name of the club.

TFC is the abbreviation not a nickname. Reds is a nickname. It is UNIVERSAL that teams use initials in the order they appear in their abbreviated name. Why is this so hard to grasp for CBC in particular and media in general.

See all the people bitching about FC? If you said TFC instead do you think even one person would complain that they wanted FC used instead?

RedRum
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
This debate has just gone way beyond stupid.

Agreed, but only because FC sounds fucking retarded.

OneLoveOneEric
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
John,
That was my first post in this thread, and I challenge you to find the vitriol and vengeance in what I sadi. When you write things like that it makes me thinkyou came here looking for a fight. I intentionally left all the negative feelings I have for the cbc out of my post because they would not be constructive. If you are happy with what many view as a mediocre product because it is the best of a bad lot, that's ok, and that's probably why you work for the cbc.

sully
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I really just don't get it... I give up.. why is it hard to call the team by their name..it's mind boggling to me.. What if I decide to call the CBC the 'CBBC'? Afterall, I can see the similarities between the channels and can detect a slight obsession the CBC has with its British counterpart...

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
John,
That was my first post in this thread, and I challenge you to find the vitriol and vengeance in what I sadi. When you write things like that it makes me thinkyou came here looking for a fight. I intentionally left all the negative feelings I have for the cbc out of my post because they would not be constructive. If you are happy with what many view as a mediocre product because it is the best of a bad lot, that's ok, and that's probably why you work for the cbc.

sorry, I didn't mean you specifically regarding the vitriol and vengeance, I meant you in a collective sense, referring to people in general who get upset over the use of FC

RedRum
06-05-2008, 06:43 PM
What if I decide to call the CBC the 'CBBC'?

Excellent point sully!! Or more accurately call them just BC (Broadcasting Corporation). John do you see the point now when it is put into a different context?

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Excellent point sully!! Or more accurately call them just BC (Broadcasting Corporation). John do you see the point now when it is put into a different context?

Fine. I'll concede the point.

I still think it's a silly debate, and I still think it's silly to get bent out of shape over it when the players themselves don't care one way or another (and having interviewed all of them over the past two years, I can attest to that).

As I said before, I hope you (you meaning everybody who gets upset over the use of FC) go after Brennan and any other Toronto FC player with just as much vengeance, vitriol and venom when they use the term FC as you use when a member of the media does.

This has been a spirited debate and hopefully I've answered some of your questions. I've tried my best. And despite our disagreements, please feel free to ask me stuff about CBC Sports' coverage in the future - i'll try my best to answer them.

yours in soccer,

John

OneLoveOneEric
06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
My apologies, John. I thought you were speaking directly to me.

johnmolinaro
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
My apologies, John. I thought you were speaking directly to me.

no worries, I should have been more clear.

ilikemusic
06-05-2008, 07:21 PM
As for this whole TFC vs FC thing - I'm not even going to respond because I've always felt the entire debate was stupid. I've never used the term TFC because I think it sounds stupid (even if that's what MLSE wants us in the media to use). I also think FC is stupid.

I say this with a great deal of respect for you guys, but you have to get over this entire FC vs. TFC thing. Just enjoy the soccer and enjoy the fact that Toronto FC is being broadcast.

John

I agree with this 100%

I hate the term 'TFC' just as much as I hate 'FC'. As far as im concerned the only time 'FC' needs to be said is if people dont know were talking about soccer. In all other situations, simply calling them Toronto, will suffice.

I even created my bigsoccer account with the abbreviation TorFC-TML because I thought TFC sounded too much like a fried chicken joint. Nobody refers to Liverpool FC as LFC, or Arsenal FC as AFC, or Celtic FC as CFC. TFC should be nothing more than an abbreviation for use in the broadcast bug (thats the right term right?).

torfchamilton
06-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Enough about TFC and FC. I was just wondering if the cameramen and technical staff have any soccer knowledge? I think it is vital as many times it seems as though they cannot follow the play properly because somebody(technical or camerman) cannot anticipate.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-05-2008, 08:34 PM
well, as I've said in a previous post, i've never used the term TFC or FC so Jim used FC of his own choice, not because he was too humble to correct my mistake.

I think it's churlish because Toronto FC is the name of the club. I feel TFC is a nickname, not the proper name of the club.

Again, can't we all just get along and focus on what's really important - the soccer.

john...if cbc does care for soccer..highly doubtful, they are in it for the ad revenue, why did they not cover the sport from when the last did the world cup in 1986? 2007 was when they got into TFC where were they they other 19 years> why when they put games on they put it on bold tv,
aka country canada or tape delay, that shows lack of respect for the sport right off. CBC is showing most of the Canada championship tournament except Toronto at Whitecaps, why are they missing this out,
and please don't use the excuse people won;t watch at that time, yes we will. why doesn't cbc do a proper 1/2 pregame show prior to the match like the do for HNIC? all we soocer people want is a network that cares for the sport and TFC, that won;t put the sport 2nd best to crappy hockey playoffs!!

ag futbol
06-05-2008, 08:36 PM
^ have some perspective, who else has given the same coverage to tfc that cbc has?

Respect for the sport? It's a network, not a fucking charity. For starters, our ratings are not great yet they continue to pour money into production than anyone else doing the games for TFC. Please quit talking out of your ass.

If you guys really wanted to go after someone about shitty soccer coverage, I think cbc would be the last place that I would look.

Bluenose13
06-05-2008, 08:48 PM
^ have some perspective, who else has given the same coverage to tfc that cbc has?

Respect for the sport? It's a network, not a fucking charity. For starters, our ratings are not great yet they continue to pour money into production than anyone else doing the games for TFC. Please quit talking out of your ass.

If you guys really wanted to go after someone about shitty soccer coverage, I think cbc would be the last place that I would look.Agreed 100%........Keep in mind you are arguing with same person that called the reporter a c**t.

Blizzard
06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
john...if cbc does care for soccer..highly doubtful, they are in it for the ad revenue, why did they not cover the sport from when the last did the world cup in 1986? 2007 was when they got into TFC where were they they other 19 years> why when they put games on they put it on bold tv,
aka country canada or tape delay, that shows lack of respect for the sport right off. CBC is showing most of the Canada championship tournament except Toronto at Whitecaps, why are they missing this out,
and please don't use the excuse people won;t watch at that time, yes we will. why doesn't cbc do a proper 1/2 pregame show prior to the match like the do for HNIC? all we soocer people want is a network that cares for the sport and TFC, that won;t put the sport 2nd best to crappy hockey playoffs!!

I have to say something here. Ad revenue? What ad revenue? I sincerely doubt that CBC is making any money on TFC telecasts. They're getting 100k viewers per match. Honestly, that is nothing.

As for the World Cup, way back when CBC lost out to TSN, a sports specialty channel trying to make its mark. I don't know if CBC bid on it or not but it really doesn't matter. I do know for a fact that CBC did show qualifying matches after 1986. You can't blame CBC for Canada not making it to the Finals.

Using your logic, because CBC has not been active in soccer in recent memory, they should not be involved in soccer now or in the future? That's nonsensical. They are showing commitment now not just with TFC but with FIFA!

When more people start watching TFC on CBC, CBC will be able to charge more money for a commercial spot, actually make some money and actually be able to invest more money in the programming such as an extended pre-game show. :taz:

A half-hour show is a lot of work involving a lot of people and technical resources. It is not the "snap your fingers and it appears" scenario you seem to believe it is.

CBC is doing an outstanding job of covering TFC, far better than Sportsnet with the Score (sorry Sean) barely registering (but I'm glad they're there for us).

My fear is that due to the increasingly tight financial situation at CBC, we may see them drop out of TFC coverage sometime in the future. That would not be good.

Lastly, regarding the TFC visit to Vancouver, if they're not covering the game, it is because the sponsorship funding isn't there. How much money is Nutrilite (or whatever they're called) really putting into the tournament? Probably not much. I'd guess low five figures. Hopefully it's not a "dink" (donation in kind). :noidea:

Personally, I am surprised and delighted we're getting any of the tournament on the tube.

Gonna go take some Melatonin now. :canada:

B

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-05-2008, 09:04 PM

If you guys really wanted to go after someone about shitty soccer coverage, I think cbc would be the last place that I would look.

how are the ratings going to improve on Bold tv or tape delay? they won't!! sportnets coverage has been about the same as CBC, not much difference bewteen the too. before TFC came around it was over 20 years since CBC did anything with soccer...theres commitment for you!! Sportsnet did 3-4 world cups on the run and showed canadas; national teams,cames as well........cbc?

joel
06-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Whiners.

Northern Soul
06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
I agree with this 100%

I hate the term 'TFC' just as much as I hate 'FC'. As far as im concerned the only time 'FC' needs to be said is if people dont know were talking about soccer. In all other situations, simply calling them Toronto, will suffice.

I even created my bigsoccer account with the abbreviation TorFC-TML because I thought TFC sounded too much like a fried chicken joint. Nobody refers to Liverpool FC as LFC, or Arsenal FC as AFC, or Celtic FC as CFC. TFC should be nothing more than an abbreviation for use in the broadcast bug (thats the right term right?).

Ummm.....of course Liverpool is referred to as LFC. It was under the Liverbird on our crest for years. See this top from the official store for example:

http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/Assets/Liverpool/Client/products/6/8/5/685564_hero_t.jpg

GBV
06-06-2008, 12:02 AM
call it fc, call it tfc. we know who you're talking about either way.
again, there are other cities etc. in the world which begin with the letter T which have FCs. going by the same lame anti-FC argument, we can then say TFC does not "necessarily" mean Toronto FC all the time.
i hear you john. all the anti-"FC" fury embarrasses me.

J .
06-06-2008, 12:28 AM
John, the majority of supporters are happy to have had (any) coverage of the Charleston cup. Even if the camera work was poor, it was nice to have the streaming and most are happy with the coverage thus far. Brenda is a decent broadcaster and I do not know her personally so I would not know if she is a cunt or not, so I will leave it at that on that point. She was weak that match and I would prefer someone knowledgeable about the game. My beef was not with her knowledge either.

Onto the point of the thread. Would you call the Leafs the Leaves? The Blue Jays the BJ's? The Raptors the Tors? What about the DVP? The VP? Why do you not call the Argos the Football Club? They are the Toronto Argonaut Football Club after all. Regardless, the point of the whole matter is name which is Toronto Football Club. Not The Football Club. Therefore, the initials TFC should be used. Calling it FC is poor form and incorrect on many levels. The nickname is the Reds if you you wish to have people use a nickname. Use that instead of the FC.

If I called you ohn, would it still be appropriate or would you correct me and say your name was John? I think you would.

I will (or would) also correct Jimmy Brennan if I had to. Long after he stops playing I will be a supporter. Feel free to give him my contact information. Should I call him Immy Rennan? Are we dropping the first letters of peoples names too?

Why not simply do the easy thing, call the club by its initials. Easy, concise and legitimate.

Finally, to everyone else, not John, What embarrasses me is all these nerds online who come online, bash people, bash threads, go to games and maybe sing 15 of the 90. Moving your lips to the words doesn't count either.

State your point if you have one, talking shit makes you look ridiculous and you likely are one of the many RPB who are only fans, not supporters.

Talk to people like they are beside you. I am easy to find.

Yours truly,

FEItalia
06-06-2008, 06:23 AM
John Molinaro is a class act, not to mention a great football writer. His posts in this thread just confirm what I knew. A couple months ago I was in Italy and used a ticket agency in Rome to get my tickets for a Roma game. The agency was run by a couple of guys from the UK and for some reason they knew John. As soon I mentioned I was Canada they asked if I knew John and treated me better just because of that connection. lol

Batman
06-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Personally I find the FC / TFC discussion pretty boring. Although I agree with TFC being appropriate, many times it seems people get worked up about it to a level way out of proportion.

As for JM and CBC I'm always impressed by what John does and thankful that we have the CBC on our side.

Let's start appreciating what people bring to us, folks.

ensco
06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Even though I partly disagree with him, three cheers for John for coming on here and mixing it up with us!

Barbarez
06-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Condom or no Condom?

MisterMacphisto
06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
You're probably right about it coming organically from the boards, but I can tell you that MLSE sent us a memo before the club played its first game and told us we should refer to the club as TFC.

How about on a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast, one of the announcers make a comment about some player making his first appearance in the "HL" in stead of the "NHL" and see if people make way too much out of it.

One of our major chants is "TFC...TFC...TFC", not "FC...FC...FC"
The "T" stands for Toronto, and is the identity of our team.

Its somewhat important, not silly. I think its silly to ignore a very, very simple request from fans (And MLSE).

I'm grateful for the CBC coverage of games and will be patient with things that take time to improve, but this one is pretty simple.

This is just my sincere feedback... but at the end of the day, its not a huge issue, just my feedback. I do appreciate you posting on the boards. :)

Azerban
06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
What embarrasses me is all these nerds online who come online, bash people, bash threads, go to games and maybe sing 15 of the 90. Moving your lips to the words doesn't count either.

NERDS!!!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/kingbullocks/nerds.jpg

NON-SINGING NERDS!!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I have to say something here. Ad revenue? What ad revenue? I sincerely doubt that CBC is making any money on TFC telecasts. They're getting 100k viewers per match. Honestly, that is nothing.

As for the World Cup, way back when CBC lost out to TSN, a sports specialty channel trying to make its mark. I don't know if CBC bid on it or not but it really doesn't matter. I do know for a fact that CBC did show qualifying matches after 1986. You can't blame CBC for Canada not making it to the Finals.

Using your logic, because CBC has not been active in soccer in recent memory, they should not be involved in soccer now or in the future? That's nonsensical. They are showing commitment now not just with TFC but with FIFA!

When more people start watching TFC on CBC, CBC will be able to charge more money for a commercial spot, actually make some money and actually be able to invest more money in the programming such as an extended pre-game show. :taz:

A half-hour show is a lot of work involving a lot of people and technical resources. It is not the "snap your fingers and it appears" scenario you seem to believe it is.

CBC is doing an outstanding job of covering TFC, far better than Sportsnet with the Score (sorry Sean) barely registering (but I'm glad they're there for us).

My fear is that due to the increasingly tight financial situation at CBC, we may see them drop out of TFC coverage sometime in the future. That would not be good.

Lastly, regarding the TFC visit to Vancouver, if they're not covering the game, it is because the sponsorship funding isn't there. How much money is Nutrilite (or whatever they're called) really putting into the tournament? Probably not much. I'd guess low five figures. Hopefully it's not a "dink" (donation in kind). :noidea:

Personally, I am surprised and delighted we're getting any of the tournament on the tube.

Gonna go take some Melatonin now. :canada:

B

as you are no dout aware..CBC has had the rights to the summer olympics for a while now, how many summer olympics did they cover the football
tournament....? zero the last summer games they did show iraq playing
someone* can't remember who) as it was their first bug sporting achievment since being the liberation by the Yanks. thats CBC;s attutude,
we bought the rights, but we don't have to show anything that we don't want to. If they cared for soccer as a sport they could have off loaded the football coverage to another network, that would have been willing to show it> If CBC did not have HNIC it would not be a network, it wouls be nice of the government to stop wasting taxpayers money on this corporation and let them flu solo. Im just waiting to see how CBC butchers the upcoming world cup..its only a matter of when and how badly!!

Dozitwin
06-06-2008, 09:12 PM

I have to disagree. When your job is to host the TFC broadcasts the name and nicknames of the team are one thing you should absolutely be getting right.

Vindaloo
06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
^Exactly. I don't think it should take any effort at all for a professional in the broadcast industry to get the name(s) of the team they are broadcasting correctly. Surely this should be expected at the very most minimum, right?

It comes down to professionalism. What will be used when Toronto plays Whitecaps FC? Will they used the term "FC" referring to Toronto or would that refer to Vancouver? If it was towards Toronto, wouldn't that seem unfair in regards to the CBC having a relaxed relationship to Toronto or hinting towards some sort of historical flexibility with the abbreviation? It doesn't make any sense. Whitecaps FC after all have been around longer.

I mean, whatever happened to being politically correct in media? This is what they do all the time.

So I don't think it's much to ask the CBC to have it's commentators start off on the right foot with Toronto FC, MLSE, the fans, and setting the foot correctly on what is hopefully to be a successful building of the sport in Canada. Let's get it right now.

RedRum
06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
People please stop arguing that BC is the best network for covering TFC. I don't think any person who is irritated by the use of "FC" would argue that the Network, Net, or SN is better than BC, as indeed BC is the best at covering our team. That is not what the argument is about. It is simply about the BC correctly referring to the team.

MisterMacphisto
06-07-2008, 08:49 PM
People please stop arguing that BC is the best network for covering TFC. I don't think any person who is irritated by the use of "FC" would argue that the Network, Net, or SN is better than BC, as indeed BC is the best at covering our team. That is not what the argument is about. It is simply about the BC correctly referring to the team.

Well spoken from a great member of PB.

Dirk Diggler
06-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm annoyed by two things:

People who insist on using "FC" when they know thats nonsensical.

People who insist on bringing up the above mentioned "issue" when they know exactly what is being referred to.

Seriously, when someone mentions the "Maple Leafs", do you tell them "WTF are you talking about? The Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club or the Inter-county Toronto Maple Leafs?". Heck, when someone mentions "TFC", do you go " Toronto Football club or Toulouse Football Club or The Filipino Network?".

RedRum
06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Well spoken from a great member of PB.

:D

Haha nice.