PDA

View Full Version : Why is Saturday's TFC v Crew game delayed on GOLTV?

Eastend
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I just don't understand.....:noidea:

tfcleeds
03-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I presume it has something to do with a prior commitment to show WC qualifying matches...

rocker
03-24-2009, 04:05 PM
i wonder if it will be live on MLS Match Center... if so I'll be watching it on there.

sulfur
03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
It should be. We're working on a showing at Shoeless on all of the TVs live.

See http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11128

giambac
03-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I just don't understand.....:noidea:

Simple,

there are WC qualifying matches which are far more meaningful and have a bigger viewing audience. It's all about the numbers.........

poppamidnight
03-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Plus, MLSE wanted more people to come to the game live....

hahah jk on that part....

...but for real... wherever you are, head to Columbus

Phil
03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't uderstand why a question is in the news section...moved.

Please post articles, not questions in the news section.

menefreghista
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Gol TV has Germany v Liechtenstein live at 3:00 pm EST followed by Spain v Turkey live at 5:00 pm EST on Saturday.

http://www.goltv.ca/schedule/?day=6

Gol TV owns the rights to all WCQ home games for Italy, Germany and Spain. They paid money for these rights. They were committed to these games well before TFC's schedule was released.

mlsintoronto
03-25-2009, 06:42 AM
We're working on streaming on torontofc tv. Gated to Canada. Stay tuned for confirmation

Eastend
03-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks...I'll be in Columbus, and to be honest I did forget about the WC qualifiers, so I guess it makes sense.....

redcard
03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
We're working on streaming on torontofc tv. Gated to Canada. Stay tuned for confirmation

hope it happens!!! Thanks in advance if it does!

Canadian Blue
03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
what time is the game being played at?

tfc007
03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Il checked my guide this morning Wednesday and gol tv is showing Uruguayan soccer during that period and footballers lives,and no world cup qualifying games yet! Saying this, I have a feeling the rogers guide will be updated just before saturday,we shall see.

Eastend
03-25-2009, 07:50 AM
The game is @ 4pm but is being shown @ 7pm on GolTV.

FluSH
03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
It should be. We're working on a showing at Shoeless on all of the TVs live.

See http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11128

That's LIVE B*TCH3S

But you SHOULD be in COLUMBUS... :D

sulfur
03-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd love to be in Columbus, but SC took too big a bite.

Either way, we have things sorted for Saturday as far as I know now. Woot.

I talked with some nice people at GolTV, they try to update their weekend schedules on Wednesdays, but sometimes are unable to do so until Thursday. According to them, this weekend's match is on tape delay due to WCQ.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
I will be in Columbus so have fun with that boy's

Pachuco
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
hope it happens!!! Thanks in advance if it does!

Honestly, just get Match Center. It's 800K streams. I've watched parts of a game on there already and it looks pretty good. I've never seen 800K stream from TFC TV. Although I do appreciate that they are trying.

Oh, and Match Center is $20 bucks. It's about 1 beer at BMO field :)

sulfur
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
We've got it sorted out to show at Joe's now. We just have to confirm that we can get full sound and video working on all of the TVs at once! Bwahahahaha!

:)

S_D
03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Too bad that CBC or another network couldn't of carried the game instead. I know, I know, scheduling conflicts....I guess poker couldn't be preempted for the TFC game on The Score lol.

Even though it is hopefully going to be streamed (thanks Paul), this situation makes it no better than what happened last season with games going to Bold, or the CMNT games being delayed until midnight. <sigh>

To avoid these problems it would be nice to see MLS get a schedule out much sooner than it currently does so networks can prepare themselves better.

Boris
03-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Too bad that CBC or another network couldn't of carried the game instead. I know, I know, scheduling conflicts....I guess poker couldn't be preempted for the TFC game on The Score lol.

Even though it is hopefully going to be streamed (thanks Paul), this situation makes it no better than what happened last season with games going to Bold, or the CMNT games being delayed until midnight. <sigh>

To avoid these problems it would be nice to see MLS get a schedule out much sooner than it currently does so networks can prepare themselves better.

true but MLS will rarely take priority even if the schedule is released early...sadly

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
This will be on the match center right?
Its not gonna be blacked out? (that shit drives me crazy)

sulfur
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Regardless, in this case, the fact that GolTV spent a buttload of money on licensing for World Cup Qualifiers... combined with the fact that those are known ratings things, that makes for something of a no-brainer.

Fortunately, this appears to be one of two instances this season where we'll get hit like this.

CMNT games? Different story. I think that we'll be lucky to get those still. Small steps folks. Small steps.

Personally, I'm looking forward to "CanadaSoccerTV". 24 hours of soccer in Canada. Limp-act, Whitecraps, TFC, CMNT, CWNT, and whomever else. Just all Canadian soccer, all the time! :)

sulfur
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
This will be on the match center right?
Its not gonna be blacked out? (that shit drives me crazy)
According to my dealings with the MLS support people, this game will NOT be blacked out.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 09:42 AM
maybe TFC will catch a few fans after the qualifiers are over?
Its annoying but id rather see it delayed from WCQ than fucking horse jumping or poker

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
According to my dealings with the MLS support people, this game will NOT be blacked out.

Hallelujah, i think its one of those markets that is limited (where as places that have large spanish populations air the games on spanish channels or bigger games on espn).

cosmos
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Got an email applogizing for the Kansas City game and all should be up and running for Columbus game - They say it was a problem with Rogers - man I hate Rogers. Maybe they are pissed that they don't have a soccer team - they seem to own everything else.

trail
03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Just receved on of the Toronto FC e-mails.....

http://a1253.g.akamai.net/f/1253/1122/1d/graphics.sdm3.com/MapleLeaf/uploads/TorontoFC/template/TFC_Eblast_Header_CRM.jpg
http://a1253.g.akamai.net/f/1253/1122/1d/graphics.sdm3.com/MapleLeaf//uploads//TorontoFC/goaltv_logo%2520small.jpgHi there MARK,
First off, we want to apologize if you were unable to watch the opening game of the season at Kansas City Wizards last week. We were expecting the match to be available on GolTV on freeview for Rogers customers but that didn’t happen.
We’ve been assured by Rogers that the difficulties experienced have been resolved for this weekend and you will be able to see Toronto FC take on Columbus Crew on freeview on GolTV at 7:00 p.m.
You will also be able to see the game on freeview if your cable package is with Bell, Cogeco, Star Choice or Shaw. For a full listing of GolTV channel locations, click here. (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2773c1891617t2775o28761)
If you can’t wait until 7:00 p.m. to see the T.V. broadcast, you can follow the match online or on the radio!
Toronto FC TV (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2773c1891617t2775o16833)will be streaming the match live at 4:00 p.m. on TorontoFC.ca (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2773c1891617t2775o76)and you can listen on the radio on The FAN 590.
We’ll be back in touch with a full match preview later this week, but it you’re already getting psyched up for Saturday’s match, click here (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2773c1891617t2775o29063)to check out John Carver’s pre-match media scrum on Toronto FC TV.
Toronto FC
// All For One

You have received this e-mail because you had previously indicated an interest in receiving information and offers from us concerning our sports and entertainment properties and facilities. If you wish to customize the type of offers and information you would like to receive or to opt-out please click here. (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2773c1891617t2775o7701)
For a copy of our privacy policy click here. (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2773c1891617t2775o7702)

sulfur
03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Please also note that this will be aired live at Shoeless Joe's at 4pmET.

Troll
03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
and all should be up and running for Columbus game

What does this mean? We're getting a free preview of a tape-delayed game after more then half of us were forced to subscribe in a panic to watch the season opener?

Wow, that's fantastic news...

DOMIN8R
03-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Great news. Thank you TFC FO!!!!!

Is it possible to get the FAN590 playing at the same time so that we can ge tthe play by play? Does Joe have a AM tuner that is patched in to the speakers?

sulfur
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
From what I understand, the match center feed is about 5-10 seconds behind what the FAN590 radio feed was for the KC match.

That might be a bad thing (tm).

Worst comes to worst, we can listen to the Columbus TV commentary.

Don Julio
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm just going to pretend the game happens at 7 and enjoy all the qualifiers, too. Actually works out better for me! As long as it doesn't get spoiled who cares?

nancymiranda
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Please also note that this will be aired live at Shoeless Joe's at 4pmET.

whooo hooo 4pm it is! :drinking:

jloome
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
From what I understand, the match center feed is about 5-10 seconds behind what the FAN590 radio feed was for the KC match.

That might be a bad thing (tm).

Worst comes to worst, we can listen to the Columbus TV commentary.

For pity's sake people, get Match Center. It's $24 with the audio for radio broadcasts as well (assumign you're too lazy to find the local stream) and last year, they streamed about 70% of the regular season games. Tie that inwith what you can get through athde, veetle and justin.tv and I haven't missed a game I wanted to see in about two years.

Kickit09
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
great news to hear that we can watch the game live now. i've been one MLSE's biggest critics but i've got to give them credit where credit is due. first they were able to set up a web steam so we could watch the games in south carolina when it looked like it wasn't going to happen. now they are going to steam the columbus game live so we don't have to wait 3 agonizing hours. kudos MLSE and especially you paul. your hard work is not going unnoticed.

Oldtimer
03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
For pity's sake people, get Match Center. It's $24 with the audio for radio broadcasts as well (assumign you're too lazy to find the local stream) and last year, they streamed about 70% of the regular season games. Tie that inwith what you can get through athde, veetle and justin.tv and I haven't missed a game I wanted to see in about two years.

Plus its now available with an 800k (TV-quality) stream!

DOMIN8R
03-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Wow. What a novel idea. Why didn't anyone ese think of that?:(

Oh Yeah. We did. :rolleyes:

But no one knows if it will blacked out. That's why the TFC FO got this up and running for us.;)

BuSaPuNk
03-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I must say I am overly amazed with what Paul and the rest of the TFC FO are doing for us. Amazing. Big props go out to Paul for helping us with all our issues...sure as hell know that this wouldn't be done for Raptors or Leaf fans....lol....Hopefully this can be a common thing....I will be in Columbus so I can't take advantage of it this time....but better for support of the team all around.

Three cheers for Paul!!

sulfur
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
For pity's sake people, get Match Center. It's $24 with the audio for radio broadcasts as well (assumign you're too lazy to find the local stream)
People do have the Match Center. Complete with its 800k feed.

In terms of radio, the FAN590 feed was not available for the KC at airtime, nor is it available in retrospect. I don't expect it to be available for this weekend's game either.

So, that means that we get to put up with the Columbus commentary. Even on Match Center!

sulfur
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
But no one knows if it will blacked out. That's why the TFC FO got this up and running for us.;)
It's not on ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports en Español, or Telefutura, so the MLS will not black it out.

I have that in writing from them. :)

DOMIN8R
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
^^^proof or it didn't happen

DOMIN8R
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM

In terms of radio, the FAN590 feed was not available for the KC at airtime, nor is it available in retrospect. I don't expect it to be available for this weekend's game either.

So, that means that we get to put up with the Columbus commentary. Even on Match Center!

From the Fan's website

Saturday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Toronto FC @ Columbus Crew in progress

Dan Dunleavy

redcard
03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Honestly, just get Match Center. It's 800K streams. I've watched parts of a game on there already and it looks pretty good. I've never seen 800K stream from TFC TV. Although I do appreciate that they are trying.

Oh, and Match Center is $20 bucks. It's about 1 beer at BMO field :)

good advice...i think match center may be the way to go.

sulfur
03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry DOMIN8R, I meant that the FAN590 commentary would not be available via Match Center. Sorry. Was unclear on that one.

And here's the quote from the MLS in their email to me:

Please take note that all games on MLSnet.com that are nationally televised on ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports en Español and TeleFutura will be blacked out for International subscribers and videos will be available on archive 45 minutes after the conclusion of the game.

The video of TOR @ CLB game on Mar. 28 4:00 p.m. is not yet available on MLSnet.com. Blackout restrictions does not apply to this game.They went on to explain that the video feed generally becomes available 5-10 minutes before game time.

DOMIN8R
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
"The video of TOR @ CLB game on Mar. 28 4:00 p.m. is not yet available on MLSnet.com. Blackout restrictions does not apply to this game"

At best this is unclear. At worst it's annoyingly confusing. Does this mean that Match Centre will not show this game but it isn't considered a blackout?

Blizzard
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM

???

You'll be watching the Gol TV production of the match on TFC-TV with Luke and Jason doing commentary.

You don't need The Fan590 sound.

B

DOMIN8R
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
???

You'll be watching the Gol TV production of the match on TFC-TV with Luke and Jason doing commentary.

B

Are you sure. How can you be certain that the stream will have live commentary?

If you are right - fantastic.

nfitz
03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd feel more confident about the Rogers free preview if it actually showed up in their list of free previews:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/personal-promotions/free_preview?setLanguage=en&setProvince=ON

Fortunately I subscribe already ... but if your relying on the free preview, I'd prepare to be disappointed - this is Rogers. I sent Rogers an e-mail for further information. I have no doubt they will send me some canned response tomorrow that doesn't answer my question.

sulfur
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
"The video of TOR @ CLB game on Mar. 28 4:00 p.m. is not yet available on MLSnet.com. Blackout restrictions does not apply to this game"

At best this is unclear. At worst it's annoyingly confusing. Does this mean that Match Centre will not show this game but it isn't considered a blackout?
No, that's a combination of bad english and poor communication.

Like I said, later on, they explained that the game was not available now, but would be 5-10 minutes before match time, as their system works that way. My reading of the second sentence is "Blackout restrictions do not apply." The poor english bit there.

That's if you choose to watch the TFC TV version which is about 250kbps. The Match Center one, which is the one we've been talking about, shows it at 800kbps. But will not have the benefit of Luke and Jason's commentary.

rocker
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
i'm gonna watch it on Match center/TFC TV (whichever is showing best) at 4pm, and then watch the triumphant win again at 7pm on GolTV. :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
great for 590.....now do i listen live or wait and watch without knowing the score!!!

nfitz
03-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I sent Rogers an e-mail for further information.I got a reply today from Rogers. Unfortunately, they wrote that: "In your recent email, you have inquired about Gol TV being on free preview. We have researched your request and are not able to confirm that GOL TV will be on free preview this weekend."

On the other hand, I just noticed that Rogers has a page - http://your.rogers.com/store/cable/ptv/promotions.asp which notes that "Catch a FREE Preview of GOLTV on channel 428 on Rogers Digital Cable" - less reassuring is that it notes on the same page that "Showcase Diva is available in Free preview for the month of February".

If you want to be 100% sure you get the game on GOLTV, I'd pony up the $2.69 ....

Erkan16
03-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I couldnt ask for a better situation.

i get to watch my Turkish national team and then I get to watch TFC right after. thats toooooooo sweeeeeeeeet :stogey: