PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: McBride is Coming Back to MLS

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3622443,00.html

...After much consideration with my family, we have decided to leave Fulham after four and a half fantastic years," McBride told the club's official website.

"I have always stated my intention to return to America at some stage and this seems like the right moment in my career to move on...

Interesting- for a refresher, Columbus still retains his rights, right? Anyhow, still a great talent, and it seems like he's a pretty classy professional as well- good for MLS, wherever he goes.

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow. This surprises me. I'm 100% for trying to sign this guy

BronteDave
05-28-2008, 01:25 PM
So who is holding the cards in the McBride sweepstakes? That would be Toronto FC, which currently holds the top spot in the allocation order. Trade offers have already begun pouring in, but prying away that allocation won't come cheap.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/05/mcbride-leaves.html

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow, this is going to be fun- nothing like trader rumours- a nice way to finish off the work day!

Nuvinho
05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/05/mcbride-leaves.html

To Columbus: Rights to McBride and Cunny
To Toronto FC: Robbie Rogers

hahahaha!!!!

Sab0tage
05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
So we get first dibs. I think we should possibly take a shot, unless we get a good offer in exchange for his rights.

Nuvinho
05-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Let's say we trade his rights, that means we move to the bottom of the order. Won't this hinder our chances of bringing in a DP that we want in June?

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
^^^I can't see McBride wanting to play here under any circumstances- the only reason he's quitting Fulham is for his family to come back state side, so I think that rules out TFC

TFCREDNWHITE
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
All i have got to say is:

COME ON MOJO!!! I really hope he lands some serious money/allocation or picks up a nice trade ++++ MONEY!! This can really set us up real nice money wise for the future!!

You know what would be nice? to get a canadian player + allocation money + a DP slot!!!!! that would be amazing if you could get all 3 of those things!!!

Carts
05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
^^^I can't see McBride wanting to play here under any circumstances- the only reason he's quitting Fulham is for his family to come back state side, so I think that rules out TFC

He could always play for us and move to the beautiful city of BUFFALO and commute... LOL :rolleyes:

Carts...

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
There's so many details to this allocation business that I don't comprehend, and it seems that MLS kind of makes up rules for this kind of situation as they go along- so this is just a pipe dream, but maybe McBride to Houston for DeRo (even though we don't really need him anymore, but would still be awesome)?

bee dubya
05-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Ives is saying that San Jose might actually own his rights now.
"(According to this report from Centerline Soccer (http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/http:/www.centerlinesoccer.com/more-on-jean-philippes-end/), San Jose general manager John Doyle is stating that the Earthquakes have regained the top allocation slot after releasing Peguero. If true, you can replace Toronto with San Jose in all the above scenarios.)"

denime
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Ives is saying that San Jose might actually own his rights now.
"(According to this report from Centerline Soccer (http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/http:/www.centerlinesoccer.com/more-on-jean-philippes-end/), San Jose general manager John Doyle is stating that the Earthquakes have regained the top allocation slot after releasing Peguero. If true, you can replace Toronto with San Jose in all the above scenarios.)"

Not according to this article:
Fire technical director Frank Klopas and former Fire coach Dave Sarachan have both said in past interviews that McBride is interested in returning to his hometown and playing for the Fire. According to Klopas, the interest is mutual.
"If he returns to MLS, we would be crazy not to consider someone with his talent," Klopas said in April. "He still has a lot to offer."
During that interview, Klopas said Toronto FC gets first dibs on McBride. The Fire would need Toronto to pass on McBride or make some sort of trade in order to sign him. There's also the issue of his asking price, which isn't going to be cheap considering he's coming from the Premier League.
Read more (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2008/05/mcbride-leaves.html)

But considering trade between TFC and San Jose for O'Brien they might have the rights on him,who knows.

Broadview
05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
McBride will go wherever he wants to go...Garber will allow it, as has been done before with Adu, Landycakes.

I just hope we get a large allocation, or if he signd for small potatoes, a DP slot.

Dero would be cool too.

If San Jose does in fact have dibs again, I'm pissed.

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Seems to me that MLS will do whatever they want to make McBride happy (i.e. making sure he plays for Chicago), even if it includes forcing TFC to give up their allocation for some token players/money/allocation spot...I don't know if this will work out too well.

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Seems to me that MLS will do whatever they want to make McBride happy (i.e. making sure he plays for Chicago), even if it includes forcing TFC to give up their allocation for some token players/money/allocation spot...I don't know if this will work out too well.

Something for Nothing > Nothing for Nothing

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
reread the newest post in Ives blog.
We have his rights and i doubt we will sign him.
Im quite psyched to see what we will get for him.

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
This is good news. Free stuff!!!

ensco
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
If we are first on the allocation list, we would not get much for McBride's rights. Why would anyone pay much for a 35 year old?

I bet we'd pass to maintain our position at the top of the list.

No chance he's coming to TFC, imho. No disrespect to us, but McBride will value being able to put his kids in American schools etc

Also read this to see why San Jose might be back at the top of the list. Peguero (whom they used their allocation on) came in with a knee injury that hasn't healed, and is now out for the year....

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_9401005?nclick_check=1

Damien
05-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Would be nice to pick up a midfielder who wont be away for international duties this year... or a bonafide striker!

Broadview
05-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll take a full allocation...and five bucks more a day in meal money for the $14,000 a year guys!

Five Bucks!!!

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
If we are first on the allocation list, we would not get much for McBride's rights, . Why would anyone pay much for a 35 year old?

Seriously?

This is Brian McBride we're talking about. The guy who went to England at 31 and got better every year. He's America's Teddy Sheringham and him being 35+ will have little bearing on teams wanting him. He's got this year in him, and at least 1 more..maybe more. Saying "who wants a 35 yr old" does not apply in this case

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 02:58 PM
If we are first on the allocation list, we would not get much for McBride's rights. Why would anyone pay much for a 35 year old?

No chance he's coming to TFC, imho. No disrespect to us, but McBride will value being able to put his kids in American schools etc

Also read this to see why San Jose might be back at the top of the list. Peguero (whom they used their allocation on) came in with a knee injury that hasn't healed, and is now out for the year....

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_9401005?nclick_check=1

Not to be a dick but Ives reiterates the fact that we still have top allocation and understandably so, just cuz they picked a lame duck to use their allocation on doesnt mean we should suffer

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Seriously?

This is Brian McBride we're talking about. The guy who went to England at 31 and got better every year. He's America's Teddy Sheringham and him being 35+ will have little bearing on teams wanting him. He's got this year in him, and at least 1 more..maybe more. Saying "who wants a 35 yr old" does not apply in this case

yep, columbus and chicago fans are going nuts about his return, hes obviously wanted and thats fine by me. Give us some money and slots and such. GIMME.

I know Mo's gonna make it work.

TorontoBlades
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
i personally think McBride is overrated - and I'm going bonkers over what some of these yanks would be willing to give up for him.

S_D
05-28-2008, 03:38 PM
TFC should come out of this smelling like roses. From what we have seen of Mo, we know he knows how to wring everything he can out of a deal.

If he can get a major allocation (cash) out of this, we can ensure that we can keep the team together next year+ perhaps an improvement on one position. Don't forget that we are over the cap due to the allocations we got for finishing out of the playoffs and SJ's for O'brien. It would be a shame if we had to let Robert go to conform to the slary cap if we make the playoffs this year.

All in all, it is a good time to be on the top of the allocation list. I don't think we have to worry about the DP signing if we use this up because TFC can still use discovery to get the player that they want. I think we get 6 and only 1 has been used on Huckerby (that has been reported) so we may have a few left.

And who knows, maybe McBride would consider playing for TFC?

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
TFC should come out of this smelling like roses. From what we have seen of Mo, we know he knows how to wring everything he can out of a deal.

If he can get a major allocation (cash) out of this, we can ensure that we can keep the team together next year+ perhaps an improvement on one position. Don't forget that we are over the cap due to the allocations we got for finishing out of the playoffs and SJ's for O'brien. It would be a shame if we had to let Robert go to conform to the slary cap if we make the playoffs this year.

All in all, it is a good time to be on the top of the allocation list. I don't think we have to worry about the DP signing if we use this up because TFC can still use discovery to get the player that they want. I think we get 6 and only 1 has been used on Huckerby (that has been reported) so we may have a few left.

And who knows, maybe McBride would consider playing for TFC?

playing in front of the best fans in MLS would be a bonus for him, if not try and deal him if TFC does have the rights to the Fire, just not the galaxy.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
S_D, youre thinking of discovery claims, we get McBride due to allocations which is different basically it means if a returning MLS player comes back to the MLS there is a list of teams that get to say whether or not they want to sign him. We dont have to sign him but we do have his rights and someone will have to trade for those rights.

joel
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
maybe we get big allocation money we can spend on the DP Carver wants.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
maybe we get big allocation money we can spend on the DP Carver wants.

I would imagine that and/or a first round draft for next year and possibly one for the year after.

Mo will do good by us.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm confident MO will fuck Chicago/Columbus and/or San Jose at every turn possible!!

I don't want Mcbride! Let the Star Spangled Grandfather go somewhere else, I would much rather pick up the bags of cash! possibley a DP slot and maybe a draft pick!

MONEY MONEY MONEEEY MONEY!

joel
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I would imagine that and/or a first round draft for next year and possibly one for the year after.

Mo will do good by us.

hmm I don't see the MLS giving up draft picks in this scenario..it would be money, besides I can't say I would be that interested in any team's draft pick after they get McBride...they will be pretty good, and if Columbus and Chicago are his preferred options, then they already have great seasons underway.

I'd rather have money.

Broadview
05-28-2008, 05:40 PM
It's funny how we almost never post about Mo (Johnston) anymore and you barely read about him in the press.

I imagine that irks him some...he'll love playing this up.

Keyman
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
God damn, if we can find some way to fit McBride under the cap, and somehow convince him that Toronto would be his best option....Then I would be absolutely ecstatic!
He would solve our problem up front, I have no doubt in my mind at all.

If not, we will get quite the return for McBride. I expect quite the bidding war for his services; Toronto is in a very desirable position at this moment.

S_D
05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
S_D, youre thinking of discovery claims, we get McBride due to allocations which is different basically it means if a returning MLS player comes back to the MLS there is a list of teams that get to say whether or not they want to sign him. We dont have to sign him but we do have his rights and someone will have to trade for those rights.

Nope I wasn't wrong, my wording was just plain bad :D. ( I agree with you btw)

If we use the top allocation to get Mcbride, then flip him to say Chicago, (I want cash) we will then go to the bottom of the allocation list. This shouldn't ruin our chances of acquiring a DP as can use the discovery claims to ensure that we get what we want (like we have with Huckerby). As far as we know they have only used one, but there is that other guy that folks here were talking about (can't remember his name but was Amoebi or something like that?) so I would assume that another discovery has been filed for him too.

TFC07
05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
A three way trade: TFC-houston-chicago.

McBride to Chicago
DeRo to Toronto
Pair striker(s) (like Rolfe and/or Chad Barrett + money/draft picks) to Houston

Good deal?

Daveisonfire
05-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Nope I wasn't wrong, my wording was just plain bad :D. ( I agree with you btw)

If we use the top allocation to get Mcbride, then flip him off and say, "go to Chicago, (I want cash)" we will then go to the bottom of the allocation list. This shouldn't ruin our chances of acquiring a DP as can use the discovery claims to ensure that we get what we want (like we have with Huckerby). As far as we know they have only used one, but there is that other guy that folks here were talking about (can't remember his name but was Amoebi or something like that?) so I would assume that another discovery has been filed for him too.

Anyone else read it like that? haha

But yeah, I gotta wonder if we've used our discovery claims on Ameobi or Kluivert yet, I'm still confused as to the whole discovery business...did we use them in order to get Ricketts, Robert and Tebily?

Either way, I'm really excited at the prospects of Mo shopping around McBride:D

dantdot
05-28-2008, 06:08 PM

McBride to Chicago
DeRo to Toronto

Good deal?

Dero, Guevara and Robert all standing over a dead ball :drool5: Maybe in our dreams.

ManUtd4ever
05-28-2008, 06:14 PM
This is definitely an unexpected and welcome surprise! Mo Johnston will bolster TFC's roster with an impact player one way or another as result of McBride's return...

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I know it's very unrealistic, but McBride would be an amazing choice as our DP striker- he's hands down better than all the players we've been linked to this year. Sure he's old, but age is but one of many factors that dictate how good a player is, and McBride would be amazing in the MLS, especially with service from our midfield. He could still get it done in MLS for at least another two years in my opinion. If he's dead set on Chicago than nothing's going to change that, but if he's open to Toronto, Mo should fight for him to the bitter end.

sully
05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
"McBride, who is a month shy of 36...."

- no thanks

joelakeshore
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
"McBride, who is a month shy of 36...."

- no thanks

And basically saved a Premiership team from relegation against all odds, and, based on his form from the past few months, would be one of the best (if not the best) striker in MLS...get past the age and actually look at his talent and form

S_D
05-28-2008, 06:44 PM

McBride to Chicago
DeRo to Toronto

Good deal?

:hump:I like it but it would be quite the shuffling job to have both Dero and a DP forward under the cap.

jloome
05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I know it's very unrealistic, but McBride would be an amazing choice as our DP striker- he's hands down better than all the players we've been linked to this year. Sure he's old, but age is but one of many factors that dictate how good a player is, and McBride would be amazing in the MLS, especially with service from our midfield. He could still get it done in MLS for at least another two years in my opinion. If he's dead set on Chicago than nothing's going to change that, but if he's open to Toronto, Mo should fight for him to the bitter end.

Gotta thoroughly disagree with this. Although he may be a better all around player than Huckerby, he's not a better goal scorer, which is what we need -- eight goals on average per season at Fulham does not scream 'finisher' to me.

McBride is still essentially a target man, it's his team leadership and ability to hold the ball up until everyone is deep that makes him dangerous. Plus, he's generally fucking great in the air. But we already have two target forwards.

ag futbol
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Hmm let's see

Mcbride: games 07-08:...... 17 ......... goals: 4
Huckerby: games 07-08:.......34 .......... goals: 5
(source: soccernet)

Let's not forget we're comparing the Championship to the premiership here! Remember the gap now is wider than ever. Sorry but on recent form there is simply no case for Huckerby being better than Mcbride

ManUtd4ever
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
...McBride would be DP worthy as a striker for a couple of years but the chances of him signing in T.O. are slim at best. I think we should all just consider this development for what it is; a substantial unforeseen windfall for TFC management. I am confident that MoJo will parlay this valuable asset into the quality striker the club desperately needs...

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 07:21 PM
:iagree:

kdzb
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
This is very complicated.
Reading the rules for this league is like studying for an exam it gives you a headache.
If we deal with Chicago, I prefer having Chris Rolfe he is better then Cunny and can be a good depth striker.
If we deal with Columbus, I prefer Alejandro Moreno
If we deal with SJ it will be nice to get Kei Kamara

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Id put money on McBride only going to an american team and finishing in the US.
As for San Jose, theyve got nothing we want or need (any more, we bled em dry), im sure we can come to some sort of agreement with the other two. Dont be surprised if the MLS sorta fucks us (thats why i suggested the drafts earlier as opposed to money+player type of ish).

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
BTW im feeling pretty positive about Mo bringing us a bigger and better DP striker

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I really just want allocation money. Give us money so we can buy who we want!

Oblio2
05-28-2008, 08:17 PM
He is a perfect striker for us.
Id love him here...got better with age.
As for us being in Canada and not the US....bollocks.
It worked for Dichio, his wife wanted to come to the US (she's American)and Toronto is a great location.
Lets try to give it a shot.....McBride for TFC!!!!!:canada:

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
He is a perfect striker for us.
Id love him here...got better with age.
As for us being in Canada and not the US....bollocks.
It worked for Dichio, his wife wanted to come to the US (she's American)and Toronto is a great location.
Lets try to give it a shot.....McBride for TFC!!!!!:canada:

He said he wants to finish in the States prob at the team where he started or the city hes from, i really dont see him changing his mind about that...

Oblio2
05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Thats fine. I understand that. We can make soemthing outta this...basically, my point was against those saying he was too old, crap etc....No way. Class striker.
If he wont come to us, fine. I can live with that.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Thats fine. I understand that. We can make soemthing outta this...basically, my point was against those saying he was too old, crap etc....No way. Class striker.
If he wont come to us, fine. I can live with that.

Fair enough!
Faith in Mo, hes gonna get us summat good!

arsenal
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Would love to see Mo pry Rogers away from C-bus for rights to McBride since he should have been ours last year anyway. Chicago has depth but they would have to trade for a DP slot as well as providing compensation to us unless McBride is giving a huge home-town discount.

BigLou
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
From MLS rules on available on their website.

" (L.) RETURNING U.S. NATIONAL TEAM POOL PLAYERS
In the event a U.S. National Team pool player playing abroad returns to the U.S. and there is interest from multiple MLS teams, preference will be given first to a team prepared to use an allocation. If there is more than one team prepared to use an allocation on a particular player, the current season's allocation rankings as determined by the MLS Competition Committee would be used. In the event no team is willing to use an allocation, the player will be assigned via waivers."

Thought this might help clear some stuff up. Looks to me like TFC has to sign him to get something for him. Being first in line to his rights based on allocation doesn't mean that you can trade for that right I don't think, unless they trade the allocation of course. Can Anyone else help clear this up?

jloome
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Hmm let's see

Mcbride: games 07-08:...... 17 ......... goals: 4
Huckerby: games 07-08:.......34 .......... goals: 5
(source: soccernet)

Let's not forget we're comparing the Championship to the premiership here! Remember the gap now is wider than ever. Sorry but on recent form there is simply no case for Huckerby being better than Mcbride

Ag, Huckerby has played as an out-and-out winger since 2003, not a striker. He started as a striker but has spent most of his career outwide because he can beat people at speed. the last time he played striker for a whole season, he had six in 14.

And that's hardly the point in the end: McBride is not a prolific scorer, just a very good player. We need a prolific scorer.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
We need a prolific scorer.

Someone like................. Pizarro

(when he was at Bayern...scheisse bayern)

toonarmy
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM

In the event a U.S. National Team pool player playing abroad returns to the U.S. and there is interest from multiple MLS teams, preference will be given first to a team prepared to use an allocation. If there is more than one team prepared to use an allocation on a particular player, the current season's allocation rankings as determined by the MLS Competition Committee would be used. In the event no team is willing to use an allocation, the player will be assigned via waivers."

Thought this might help clear some stuff up. Looks to me like TFC has to sign him to get something for him. Being first in line to his rights based on allocation doesn't mean that you can trade for that right I don't think, unless they trade the allocation of course. Can Anyone else help clear this up?

This is my understanding as well. We don't have his rights, just the first option to sign him or not. If Chicago or Columbus want him for sure, then it would make sense for us to use our allocation to sign him and then trade him to whichever team will give us the most for him - which you would hope would include a good striker.

S_D
05-28-2008, 10:00 PM

Just to muddy it up.... according to a post on B.S. (take it for what you will) he retired from NT duties 2 years ago so he isn't part of the player pool anymore.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 10:06 PM
This is my understanding as well. We don't have his rights, just the first option to sign him or not. If Chicago or Columbus want him for sure, then it would make sense for us to use our allocation to sign him and then trade him to whichever team will give us the most for him - which you would hope would include a good striker.

Yep more or less my understanding as well (although i seem to have great difficulty putting it into words)

Red CB Toronto
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
I am sure he will get DP money. Where do you think he fits in best?

ag futbol
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Ag, Huckerby has played as an out-and-out winger since 2003, not a striker. He started as a striker but has spent most of his career outwide because he can beat people at speed. the last time he played striker for a whole season, he had six in 14.

And that's hardly the point in the end: McBride is not a prolific scorer, just a very good player. We need a prolific scorer.
That's completely ignoring the different levels that these guys are playing at which are realistically miles apart.

brad
05-29-2008, 07:52 AM
That's completely ignoring the different levels that these guys are playing at which are realistically miles apart.

And Fulham weren't exactly a prolific team. You have look bit deeper than the pure goals to games ratio when looking at an out and out striker like McBride.

ChrisLav
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Chicago Tribune article today from Luis Arroyave that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

"For Brian McBride to join an MLS club, he needs to agree to a contract with MLS, then be claimed via the allocation ranking," MLS communications director Will Kuhns said by e-mail. "Toronto FC holds the highest allocation on that list and, therefore, would have the first opportunity to acquire McBride.

"Hypothetically, Toronto could pass on McBride and retain its top spot for a future signing, or acquire McBride and trade him if they wished."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-29-fire-chicago-brian-mcbrid.ar0may29,0,4246285.story

Still not sure how this will work and the DP slot. Odds are Chicago is going to need one to have McBride.

Oldtimer
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Chicago Tribune article today from Luis Arroyave that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-29-fire-chicago-brian-mcbrid.ar0may29,0,4246285.story

Still not sure how this will work and the DP slot. Odds are Chicago is going to need one to have McBride.

TFC can either use it's allocation ranking, get McBride, and trade him to the Fire

OR

TFC can pass and keep it's top allocation.

Mo may very well choose to keep the allocation so as to have first rights on someone else coming into MLS.

arsenal
05-29-2008, 10:07 AM
TFC can either use it's allocation ranking, get McBride, and trade him to the Fire

OR

TFC can pass and keep it's top allocation.

Mo may very well choose to keep the allocation so as to have first rights on someone else coming into MLS.

Doubt Mo will pass. The allocation rule only applies to returning nat'l teamers/former MLS players. Our top allocation last year was wasted on Connor Casey. It will only last until the remainder of the season and I can't see anything close to this valuable returning before then (look SJ wasted it on the Peguero guy).

jloome
05-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Uh, no they're not. The top four in the prem are miles above the CCC, maybe everton, aston villa and Tottenham as well. And Huckerby, like Kevin Phillips and James Beattie, played the first half of his career in the prem -- in fact his first two years at Norwich were on loan from Man City. So again, this distinction is pretty negligible.

It's also generally agreed in England that the top of the CCC is pretty similar to the bottom of the prem. Usually speed is the key difference, not technique or tactical acumen.

And as for the next post, McBride has never been an "out-and-out striker", he's never been a striker period.He's a target man, not a striker. Different things.

All of which adds up to: he's a target man, not a striker. In the same number of years at Columbus as Jeff Cunningham, they scored exactly the same number of goals. And Cunningham is four years younger than McBride.

I'm not saying he's not a great player Ag, I'm just saying he's not the striker we're looking for. Huckerby may not be the overall player McBride is right now, but at least he's played significant amounts of time in the position we're actually trying to fill.

Plus he's a better finisher. Seriously, look up some of the comments on the Norwich chat boards about him over the last couple of years, check out his youtube vids. He's a hell of player.

jloome
05-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Someone like................. Pizarro

(when he was at Bayern...scheisse bayern)

Yeah, that's more like it! I'd think DP money would draw someone of his caliber, and he's kind of faded on the Euro front despite being a heck of a finisher.

brad
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
All of which adds up to: he's a target man, not a striker.

Okay - plug the word target man into my above statement and it makes no difference top the meaning.

brad
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Plus he's a better finisher. Seriously, look up some of the comments on the Norwich chat boards about him over the last couple of years, check out his youtube vids. He's a hell of player.

Youtube vids are nice, but pointless for drawing anything meaningful about a player. Gordon Strachen said about Huckerby - " 'Darren's a scorer of great goals, what we need is a great goal scorer.'"

Regardless, I'd take either Huckerby or McBride. Either would be a serious improvement to our team. We won't get McBride though, so it's a moot point.