PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Luke Wileman

TFC USA
03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I found a video that gave me GolTV highlights. Here are some thoughts pro and con.

PRO

Much better enthusiasm.
Player recognition is strong (more specifically, he knows not to confuse the black guys on the team).
Great goal calls.

CON

Can't get used to the voice. I prefer a combination of Nigel's voice and Luke's consistent enthusiasm.
His vocabulary (at least from highlights) is weak. Everything is a "strike". Say something different next time! Nigel's vocabulary is stronger.

Overall, I think he's a very good announcer but I'll still take Nigel any day.

Actually I'm warming up to Gerry Dobson too now that he isn't growling "SCORES!" for every goal call. He is improved from when I first heard him.

What do you guys think?

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Luke was good..he had style and personality....GOL TV has a winner there

rocker
03-24-2009, 11:43 AM
i like him. he is very professional in demeanor and sound. i also think he notices little things on the field that Nigel doesn't (Andrew Bell, the guy for Charleston was REALLY good at this awareness in charleston tourney). Nigel is probably smoother, but Wileman's energy is better. Wileman is killer at voiceovers on TFC TV... sounds very authoritative.
Wileman overtalks sometimes, but then again, Nigel under-talks at times (Nigel will leave a lot of dead air).

TFC USA
03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't see the problem with dead air as long as we're watching the game.

That's what my country's problem is for all sports. Dead air is looked upon as a bad thing.

rocker
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't see the problem with dead air as long as we're watching the game.
That's what my country's problem is for all sports. Dead air is looked upon as a bad thing.

Like I said, Wileman talks too much (and he's a brit, so it's not just a canadian thing).

But you don't want to put people to sleep. Some of the games Nigel called from the screen (he wasn't sent to the stadiums) were very boring. One guy on the net called it like "attending a reading of Shakespeare."

Nigel is best when he's at BMO Field. He feeds off the energy, and that helps bring his energy up (and he's had some great goal calls). But there are moments when he just doesn't say anything even though the game action is building up. If the play is dying down, it's ok to have some dead air, but not when guys are shooting on goal or something.

Mojo
03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I think the 3 we have announcing our games are better than any of the "talent" in the States.