PDA

View Full Version : Sutton . . .

James17930
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
. . . obviously didn't start on Saturday; has not appeared in any team promos at all so far this season; has given only one short interview to TFC:TV, and that was on the first day of pre-season; Frei was in the little TFC:TV segue shots . . .

Have we maybe seen the last of him? Or has this injured finger just sidelined him for longer than we thought and he'll be back soon?

Yohan
03-23-2009, 08:19 PM
. . . obviously didn't start on Saturday; has not appeared in any team promos at all so far this season; has given only one short interview to TFC:TV, and that was on the first day of pre-season; Frei was in the little TFC:TV segue shots . . .

Have we maybe seen the last of him? Or has this injured finger just sidelined him for longer than we thought and he'll be back soon?
It was only one game. Sutton will get his chance if Frei goes into a slump.

There is only one Greg Sutton! (we need a chant for this man)

spezz44
03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
sutton carries a heavy price tag, love the guy and hope he fits into future plans, but i could see him being moved.

BuSaPuNk
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Sutton will play....but Frei showed in KC that he really deserves a look. He played really well....and you have to stick with him. The two goals in KC he couldn't do anything about. Give him his chance and when he starts to show his youth...bring in Sutton.

GTA_WOLF
03-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Spoke to Stefan at the airport, really nice kid and seems to be fitting in well with the rest of the team (he was sat next to Barrett and was playing cards with him and Marvell). He did not know he was starting until the day before the game.

Sutton was sat at the very back of the plane on his own, did not appear to be too involved with the rest of the team (of course, I could be reading way too much into that).

MrHawk
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Perhaps, due to KC being a weaker team, they started Frei instead to give him experience?

Phil
03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
He has a dislocated finger, but did play in the CCC so I assume that injury is behind him. I think Carver is playing his hand a bit but I can't see us dealing him for a bit. He is Canadian so that plays to a roster advantage and his salary keeps him from being easily moved. We can use 3 keepers for the first half of the season but we need some defense too, overall a good problem to have.

T_Mizz
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
According to the guys at the Footy Blog (which I generally trust) it was because Sutts finger's still hurting him that he didn't start, which I suppose makes sense when you're trying to stop these relatively heavy balls with your hands, going really fast

GTA_WOLF
03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
According to the guys at the Footy Blog (which I generally trust) it was because Sutts finger's still hurting him that he didn't start, which I suppose makes sense when you're trying to stop these relatively heavy balls with your hands, going really fast

It didn't keep him from being involved in the pregame workout. He would have taken more direct shots in that workout than the actual game. Again, maybe I'm reading too much into it but he looked fine to me.

James17930
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM

Yeah, that's true. This is off topic, but I really don't like those Adidas Teamgeist (or whatever they're called) balls.

They are heavy as fuck. Heading them actually hurts, and I can't imagine what it felt like when Marvel took that Blanco shot off the face last year, or what would have happened to Frei if he had of got Arnaud's second shot in the head.

Why are they so friggin heavy? I much prefer the Nike balls used in the EPL.

T_Mizz
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Well my guess is that he has been feeling discomfort and Carver wants him to be 100% before he puts him in a game, which I'm guessing Carver doesn't mind because he has so much faith in Frei

T_Mizz
03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, that's true. This is off topic, but I really don't like those Adidas Teamgeist (or whatever they're called) balls.

They are heavy as fuck. Heading them actually hurts, and I can't imagine what it felt like when Marvel took that Blanco shot off the face last year, or what would have happened to Frei if he had of got Arnaud's second shot in the head.

Why are they so friggin heavy? I much prefer the Nike balls used in the EPL.
Weird I thought those balls were supposed to be better in every way including being lighter?

James17930
03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Weird I thought those balls were supposed to be better in every way including being lighter?

No -- they feel like hard plastic. They're awful.

At least, in my opinion. I haven't used them a whole lot, so maybe my impression was a bit off.

But from what I experienced they were crap.

T_Mizz
03-23-2009, 08:42 PM
was it a real one like a 14 panel one? because they've been criticised for being too light

Phil
03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
They are supposed to be perfectly round.

I find umbro balls pretty heavy, I guess the adidas ones are too. The cheap Nike replicas are pretty light I can only imagine the pro's.

Nuvinho
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Edwards would be moved before Sutton is.

menefreghista
03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a sense of deja vu for both Sutton and Dichio.....

rocker
03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
i don't see how Sutton could be traded. he's an international for any other team, and he's very expensive (one of the most expensive keepers in the whole league).
If anyone gets moved its Edwards, because he's relatively cheap, he's American, he's young, and he has promise.

james
03-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Its hard for me to say how good Frei is. TFC played so well he didnt get tested to much...but when he did, those 2 shots that went in he had no chance of stopping, no one would of stopped those bullet shots.

As for Sutton in passed years he really had no defence, so many times he got hung out to dry. So with an actually good TFC line up he also might perform much better. Its hard to say who to start at this stage.

David_Oliveira
03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Its hard for me to say how good Frei is. TFC played so well he didnt get tested to much...but when he did, those 2 shots that went in he had no chance of stopping, no one would of stopped those bullet shots.

As for Sutton in passed years he really had no defence, so many times he got hung out to dry. So with an actually good TFC line up he also might perform much better. Its hard to say who to start at this stage.

I completely agree with you. Lets see how the kid holds up against stiffer competition. Are team is arguably much improved compared to the other teams we have fielded.

ccopela
03-23-2009, 10:07 PM

He's in the commercial they play on GOLTV where they boys are yelling.

He's not going anywhere in my opinion I think if anyone is moved it'll be Edwards.

Oldtimer
03-23-2009, 10:07 PM
1) Mo doesn't need to move anybody at this time
2) salaries are paid by the league
3) except for a CB, the team is complete. So no point trading, unless it's for the CB.

So why would Mo move Sutton or Edwards unless it's needed for a trade?
He might as well keep all 3, since the league pays the bill. You never know, you might need your 3rd GK.

Yohan
03-23-2009, 10:10 PM
1) Mo doesn't need to move anybody at this time
2) salaries are paid by the league
3) except for a CB, the team is complete. So no point trading, unless it's for the CB.
To free salary to sign someone, esp if the CB we need cost more

So why would Mo move Sutton or Edwards unless it's needed for a trade?
He might as well keep all 3, since the league pays the bill. You never know, you might need your 3rd GK.
Not necessarily. MLS has that emergency keeper system in place. Just like how we had Reynolds in year one.
So 3rd keeper is a luxury that most teams cant afford

Phil
03-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Teams don't need a keeper right now, hence Frei going 13th. We can keep em and make the choice when someone is desprate IMO.

Jeffro
03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I've only seen him play two games but from what I can tell Frei's distribution is substantially better than Sutton's. Shot stopping, haven't seen enough to tell.

I wouldn't be too surpised to see Sutton moved to clear space for a cb if Mo can get one lined up

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-23-2009, 11:02 PM

actually the 2nd was a bad goal , look at the replay , check his positioning , if he was standing he would have saved it ..... its a common keeper mistake to dive backwards ... he made it ...

hrvat87
03-24-2009, 12:16 AM
1.Sutton will be dealt to a other team,Frei is a top notch goalie as you all saw on saturday against KC.on both of KC's FREI didnt have a much of a chance as there's very little chance of any goalie saving those shots espically the 2nd one.

2.the balls that MLS uses are light as hell..there the same balls that were used at EURO 2008 the ADIDAS EUROPASS...the nike balls that england and spain uses are much heavier then the MLS balls.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
People are reading too much into this.
Suttons not going anywhere, his finger was injured, could be that Frei will get starting over him but theres no doubt in my mind that Sutton will stay over Edwards

nfitz
03-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I think Sutton would have stopped that second goal. Frei was pretty close to getting his hands on it (or did it actually touch his fingers?), and he had lost track of the ball at one point; a bit of experience and height would have made all the difference.

There's no reason to push Sutton back quickly if we have other good keepers. But I doubt that we'll see him leaving anytime soon. Edwards seems to be the one in the doghouse ... not sure why though ...

Don Julio
03-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Sutton's salary is a huge liability to this team.

I think Carver is riding Frei, hoping that he will prove to be the real deal and they can get rid of Sutton. Frei can automatically distribute the ball better and seems to have no problems organizing the team in front of him. He does both of these things better than Sutton. All that remains to be seen is whether he stop clutch shots at this level - a test he still hasn't faced. If he should pass that test, though, look for him to be released and head back to Impact - but not until the Canadian Voyageurs Nutralite Champion Cup is over. They certainly don't want the drama of facing him during that comp.

That said, if the right defender comes along, I could see them pulling the trigger even earlier. It's a business, not a family.

And, btw, I love Sutton and would hate to see him back with the LOLimpact.

James17930
03-24-2009, 02:24 AM
I certainly hope Sutton does stay, and reclaim the starting job. I was just wondering what everyone was thinking about it.

scooter
03-24-2009, 08:03 AM
i hope they keep all 3 keepers

would like to know whats going on with edwards though he played well for us last year especially when sutts was away with cmnt

Shaughno
03-24-2009, 08:09 AM
I think Sutton would have stopped that second goal. Frei was pretty close to getting his hands on it (or did it actually touch his fingers?), and he had lost track of the ball at one point; a bit of experience and height would have made all the difference.

There's no reason to push Sutton back quickly if we have other good keepers. But I doubt that we'll see him leaving anytime soon. Edwards seems to be the one in the doghouse ... not sure why though ...

No way Sutton would have stopped that second goal IMO. Frei saw it late because of the defenders in front of him. Also, not sure if you noticed but Frei isn't exactly a small boy either. At 6'3" he fills the net much like Sutton does.

Frei REALLY impressed me in that game against KC. He was demanding in the box, he was controlling his defenders and god damn it's nice to see our keeper with some skill when distributing the ball to our players instead of the other team... like Sutton.

That said, Sutton's not going anywhere IMO. Edwards was supposed to be the prospect for the future, but Frei's height and skill seemed to have leapfrogged him right into that position. If anyone is moving, it would be Edwards but at this point, the MLS is paying for their salaries and we're not at the Cap limit, so why trade one away?

Carts
03-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Remember, Carver started Edwards last season in the opener - it was Sutton going after...

Edwards first start was on the road yes - but with 2500 fans making the trip down... That's some pressure...

If Frei's first ever start was either in Columbus where 2000 fans made the trip, or at BMO in front of 20,000 home fans - that's alot of pressure (like Edwards the year before)... Give the kid his first go in a smaller stadium with less pressure...

He has a game under his belt and we saw what he could do - good tactical decision by Carver...

Carts...

Yohan
03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=230578&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

from the article

With Sutton less than 100 percent due to a recently dislocated finger, however, it was Frei's impressive performance in preseason training that won him the assignment for First Kick.

Frei:
"Before the game, [Sutton] pulled me aside and said 'You're doing good, just do what you do best and let the game come to you, don't try anything spectacular and you'll be fine.' I really appreciate him taking me under his wing."
Sutton = class

poppamidnight
03-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I posted in the Frei forum, but I'll elaborate here...

I've noticed the main problem w/ Sutton is that he's just not Vocal in terms of communicating with defenders...
If he see's something that they don't see he either:
a - Does nothing (maybe chat at half or post game)
b- waits till after another break in action to have a chat w/ em

Frei was ridiculously vocal...
At first I didnt know who the heck was yelling into the sound guys mic - some crazy drunk KC dude? - No no no, I saw Frei's lips moving at a booming "AMADO....AMADO...Get The heck over here" (then little amado run to the post )

I must have heard dude EVERY TIME KC was in our zone...

And our backline looked good within our own 18 - ESPECIALLY off of Corners.

I like Sutton, think he's a hell of a guy,
but personally, If Frei plays the same STYLE of game he did that KC game (and from what i've heard ALL preseaon) than our team is better with Frei in net than it is w/ Sutton in net. (but we're great with either)....

The problem we now have is Suttons pricetag -
Will he take a paycut after his contracts up? (anyone know if it's this offseason?_
Will our inevitable new CB signing - whenever he comes - require the movement of some salary to fit under the cap?

and the big problem:
By the sounds of it, (i think it was that MLS TV rookie documentary show they have up) Frei has Europe ambitions, and this is playing time/experience (thereby inferring it's not long term)... so do we put our $ on the hope he loves it here/is content in MLS for his Career?

Yohan
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Frei was ridiculously vocal...
At first I didnt know who the heck was yelling into the sound guys mic - some crazy drunk KC dude? - No no no, I saw Frei's lips moving at a booming "AMADO....AMADO...Get The heck over here" (then little amado run to the post )

I must have heard dude EVERY TIME KC was in our zone...
Man, Frei was a beast, yelling and screaming and kicking the goalpost to get the defender's attention on corners. I thought the net was going to collapse because of Frei kicking it.

and the big problem:
By the sounds of it, (i think it was that MLS TV rookie documentary show they have up) Frei has Europe ambitions, and this is playing time/experience (thereby inferring it's not long term)... so do we put our $ on the hope he loves it here/is content in MLS for his Career?
The problem is most teams will not offer more than $150,000 for a first choice GK. And even if the salary cap goes up, i can't see GK salaries going up that much.

Europe pays better, and any player worth his salt would want to test whether if he has what it takes to make it in the big leagues.

goonerRVP11
03-25-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm not saying Frei is bad because he cetainly showed his strengths in KC but he's so young I dno if he can last a whole season. He may get exhausted half way through or go through a slump. Mentally he may not be fit enough whereas I see Sutton as a keeper who can deal with anything coming at him.
Mind you I may be biased because I'm in love Sutton and believe he's better than half of the keepers in the EPL, but that's just my opinion lol