PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham

Oblio2
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
What is it with this guy? :noidea:
He is quite possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen.
he cant dribble, cant time his runs, can't shoot and is lazy.
yeas, he has 96 odd goals....big deal. Right now, he is shit and has been for a while.
For the love of God Mo, get a striker in.....Id rather have Lombardo play instead of this muppet.

Infuriating!!!!!! :confused:

rocker
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
amen brother

Pigfynn
05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I think he's gone come June. I think he knows this and is just doing enough to catch on with another team.

WE NEED A STRIKER RIGHT NOW! I hope Carver's got something up his sleeve.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I wouldnt waste your breath, hes not going to be around long.
hes obviously not happy here, and carvers not happy with him here.
We are on the look out for a DP striker, and we need his spot/salary.

Laurignano
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah I hope, I HOPE we get a good player in here to take up that striker position.

James17930
05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Goodbye Cunny Goodbye -- I'd say we'd miss ya but it wouldn't be true . . . OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Goodbye, Cunny Goodbye.

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
stinks

Pigfynn
05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Anything serious in the old rumour mill?

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 12:12 PM
there is too may people picking on cunny, cut him some slack...supporters were giving velez the same shite...but now? Cunnys confidence is not there and he won't get it in the reserves, where he has played well. Saying that, he MUST take advantage of the current opportunity to play with guys on national call it...come on Cunny you have your chance...for christ sakes take it!!

stugautz
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
It's not a matter of confidence, he doesn't play with heart. You don't see him hustling out there like he should be. He gives up too quick.

At least Lombardo tries hard and ends up with the same result.

Pigfynn
05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Dude, I have cut him all the slack that I'm going to. He has had lots of chances...yes, he is fast...yes, he very occasionly scores a goal, but he's lazy and inconsistent and not fighting for the cause!

He must go.

TFC OZZ
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I'll miss cunny if he goes. I feel like ever since the columbus "hands on hips" incident everyone has immediatly called him lazy all the time, and I simply just don't agree with that. Good player, just can't find his niche.

Razor
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Dude, I have cut him all the slack that I'm going to. He has had lots of chances...yes, he is fast...yes, he very occasionly scores a goal, but he's lazy and inconsistent and not fighting for the cause!

He must go.

I completely agree, the sooner he leaves the better.

rocker
05-28-2008, 12:30 PM
i dunno about "lazy" but he's not particularly smart when it comes to making runs.
he's one of those guys with all the physical gifts to succeed, but his Soccer IQ just isn't there. Not to compare across positions, but a guy like Tebily has a good Soccer IQ from what I've seen so far. Marshall + Brennan too. But Cunny doesn't know what he's doing out there in relation to the team. Can you teach that at age 31? no...

Think about those long balls Robert has served to Cunny on occasion and how Cunny never takes the correct route to the ball. Then he's out of the play and walks back (that's where people see the laziness.. but really it's just him putting himself out of the play). He's like an island out there all by himself. Sadly, even when someone leads him perfectly with a pass, and he's one on one, he still fails. I thought in the past maybe him and Dichio could work well together with Dichio's flick ons... but now I wonder.

EdTheRed
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
You guys should've kept Esky. He's a better system player - that is, he's more willing to do the sort of dirty work that might not show up on the scoresheet, but that helps his team out even if he's not actually scoring. He's also a much, much better locker room guy. He's also a pretty lethal finisher when he's healthy and on form.

In fact, I'm still bummed he doesn't play for DC anymore. :(

akoto
05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
The league has changed a lot since Cunny was actually good. There are better players now and the talent level has surpassed him. Cunny's time is done. He needs to go.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
You guys should've kept Esky. He's a better system player - that is, he's more willing to do the sort of dirty work that might not show up on the scoresheet, but that helps his team out even if he's not actually scoring. He's also a much, much better locker room guy. He's also a pretty lethal finisher when he's healthy and on form.

In fact, I'm still bummed he doesn't play for DC anymore. :(

Esky didn't want to be here..so what can you do? force him to say and be unhappy? he;'s deadwood we don't really want. Cunny if his form doesn;t improve will be unloaded but again who will take him?

rocker
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Esky didn't want to be here? where'd ya hear that?

not that I'd want Esky back, but the guy seemed to like toronto, did the blog thing regularly, and took it hard when he left.

Blixa
05-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Cunny's gotta go. Even Velez has scored more goals than him. And, as someone has said, the league has gotten harder and he's past his prime. He should join Philly or Seattle next year.

TicTacTabarnack
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM

not that I'd want Esky back, but the guy seemed to like toronto, did the blog thing regularly, and took it hard when he left.

Dude ... Esky was loving it here! He was livid! It was a sad day to see him go for Cunningham. Mo just had to make the difficult decision of using Esky as bait to get Cunningham. Unfortunately, Mo's gamble didn't pay off since Cunny barely added any more numbers to his Jersey. It's like he doesn't want 100 bad enough.

devioustrevor
05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
The league has changed a lot since Cunny was actually good. There are better players now and the talent level has surpassed him. Cunny's time is done. He needs to go.

Pretty much my feelings too. I think Cunningham's 96 goals is more an indictment of the quality of the MLS a decade ago than it is a testament to his abilities.

devioustrevor
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
...He should join Philly or Seattle next year.

Interesting idea I just got from reading this.

Perhaps we should keep Cunningham around until at least after the expansion draft so we can make him available to protect somebody else.

J .
05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Cunny is not impressing and we gave him slack, almost a year later, he is not the bill of goods we thought he could be. I was excited at first and perhaps expectations were too high, but I expected someone experienced who could finish. I fail to see any ability to finish.

bee dubya
05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I think Cunny should consider becoming a sprinter because he's obviously not a striker but boy can he run.

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 01:41 PM
there is too may people picking on cunny, cut him some slack...supporters were giving velez the same shite...but now? Cunnys confidence is not there and he won't get it in the reserves, where he has played well. Saying that, he MUST take advantage of the current opportunity to play with guys on national call it...come on Cunny you have your chance...for christ sakes take it!!

Cut him some slack!?!? He's been a striker in the league for 10 years and he can't make a run to save his life, nevermind put any goals in the back of the net. With the talent in our midfield, he should be getting a ton more chances on goal. Why doesn't he? Because he can't anticipate a pass worth shit.

EdTheRed
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, maybe you guys could replace him with McBride...since apparently you've got his MLS rights (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/05/matchday_usaengland.html)...

Toronto_Bhoy
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I hope that…err…"performance" last night finally silences the guys behind me who are forever calling for him.

I was disappointed in what I saw after all the hype when he arrived and he's gotten worse…last night was a classic…

I say we trade him for Richie Cunningham…fuck…Pottsie would do better…

gtaguy
05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
In all honesty.. Cunningham is Washed up in all senses.. He might have been a prolific scorer in his time but now i think the league has changed and improved so much that he no longer is effective..
It must say alot when carver is not even letting him be the starter..

Torcida
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
I have to disagree with everyone saying that MLS has outgrown Cunningham because it simply isn't true. In 2006 season Jeff had 16 goals and 11 assists which was his best year in MLS. The next year he had 3 goals in 7 games for RSL then got traded to TFC and he's only scored 4 goals in many games.

It's hard to blame MLS when you see these facts. He's just a player on the decline, that's all.

bhoybobby
05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Cunningham is shite, he's as sharp as a pocket of marbles, this has been his forte since he arrived, shite, please don't make any more apologies for him.

GHTF

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2008, 04:43 PM

when esky was aquired by TFC the reports were he wanted to be dealt to a US team (NYRB). The reports were he was not interested in coming to TO...got this from the NY city sports radio station wfan.

Davenport
05-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Cunningham is way past his sell by date..he's finished, a complete non factor in games. Get rid now.

MisterMacphisto
05-28-2008, 05:29 PM
====================

rocker
05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
when esky was aquired by TFC the reports were he wanted to be dealt to a US team (NYRB). The reports were he was not interested in coming to TO...got this from the NY city sports radio station wfan.

Esky may not have wanted to come here initially, but he wasn't traded for Cunny because he wanted out. He was actually pissed he was traded to Real Salt Lake (i remember his facebook account saying as much), particularly after being traded from DC to Toronto in the winter. He loved DC. With TFC he was even writing the team blog... which was actually quite entertaining :)

Anyhow, I heard Cunny was traded because Jason Kreis @ RSL disliked him. He said Esky was his type of player because he "worked hard". a little dig at cunny.

jloome
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Hella inaccurate. He talked at length about how gutted and surprised he was and even noted it as soon as he heard about it on his facebook. Not sure where they got that from.

Blazer
05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
What is it with this guy? :noidea:
He is quite possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen.
he cant dribble, cant time his runs, can't shoot and is lazy.
yeas, he has 96 odd goals....big deal. Right now, he is shit and has been for a while.
For the love of God Mo, get a striker in.....Id rather have Lombardo play instead of this muppet.

Infuriating!!!!!! :confused:

You’ve gotta remember that he has accomplished what he has in the MLS when the league was without much of the talent it now enjoys. He was/is a one dimensional player similar to “Rocket” Ismail who had blazing speed and could catch virtually anything on the run. Cunny used to be able to get away with this lazy-ass bullshit but not anymore. This league is much improved and there is no room for players of his ilk. He’ll be out soon enough. He’s not currently doing anything to hurt us. He won’t finish the season with us unless the winning continues.

Dirk Diggler
05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't think people should be cutting him anymore slack. I admit, I gave up on Cunny quite prematurely (at the end of last season) but I think that people have seen much, much more than they need to in order to conclude that his scoring touch has left him. The fact that he doesn't respect the game enough to put any sort of effort doesn't help his case either. At this point, I would be happy if we trade him to a team that is willing to pay half his salary. Nothing else required. Either that or ten double dipped black maple baseball bats would do quite nicely as well.

cmonyoureds
05-28-2008, 10:24 PM
any thought to the fact he's a typical striker? sulky and sullen when it ain't working, king of the world, industrious and happy when it is? having said that, i'm about done with him too. i mean what true striker doesn't follow up on a penalty after the initial shot? i'm still pissed about that.

netsan
05-28-2008, 10:53 PM
I DON'T think we could trade Cunningham for Edson Buddle (LAG). Remember him? He assisted on TFC's first goal by Danny Dichio... His propensity for missing open nets is infuriating! What good is it having wheels when you can't punch the ball into the net with your feet or head? The fat lady is clearing her throat right about now.

Torcida
05-28-2008, 11:28 PM
You’ve gotta remember that he has accomplished what he has in the MLS when the league was without much of the talent it now enjoys. He was/is a one dimensional player similar to “Rocket” Ismail who had blazing speed and could catch virtually anything on the run. Cunny used to be able to get away with this lazy-ass bullshit but not anymore. This league is much improved and there is no room for players of his ilk. He’ll be out soon enough. He’s not currently doing anything to hurt us. He won’t finish the season with us unless the winning continues.
Again, he had 16 goals and 11 assists in 2006 and 3 goals in 7 games for RSL in 2007. That cannot be the explanation.

jloome
05-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Again, he had 16 goals and 11 assists in 2006 and 3 goals in 7 games for RSL in 2007. That cannot be the explanation.

The explanation is that he only plays well in a 442 with a target man to draw centre halfs in, so that he has space to run wide, stretch the defense and sometimes get behind them. He can't play as a lone striker at the top of a 451 because he has too many players to beat, and they just double team him or drop extra guys back into the box.

This is due to the fact that he lack strength and ability to hold up the ball, and is only effective on the dribble. Look his career scoring record up on footballdatabase.com and you'll notice he's had seasons where he was practically completely shut out of scoring; you can bet the partnership he had up front at the time probably had something to do with it. One example would be when Brian McBride went out on loan, his strike rate disappeared to nothing, with just 2 goals in 20 in 2000.

And if you go back and look at his early partnership with Dichio last season and how promising it looked before both started having injury problems, it supports this idea.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 06:57 AM
June is days away...you may not see him in our shirt with his hands on his hips ever again.

profit89
05-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I have to disagree with everyone saying that MLS has outgrown Cunningham because it simply isn't true. In 2006 season Jeff had 16 goals and 11 assists which was his best year in MLS. The next year he had 3 goals in 7 games for RSL then got traded to TFC and he's only scored 4 goals in many games.

It's hard to blame MLS when you see these facts. He's just a player on the decline, that's all.

MLS 2006 is very different from MLS 2008. The rule change of allowing 8 internationals, that rule alone will push out many of the dinosaurs of the past. The league is improving, hacks are getting weeded out. Next step is to double the salary cap and give a 2nd DP slot to all teams. Then these guys will finally be out of MLS.