PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday, Mar.23.

denime
03-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Mornin'

TFC sets 'high standard' in season-opening win
'The guys didn't get their heads down for a minute,' De Rosario says
Daniel Girard

KANSAS CITY – It's one win, coming in the early spring of a season that lasts until fall.
But Toronto FC's 3-2 victory over the Kansas City Wizards on Saturday night offered some positive signs as the team embarks on its third Major League Soccer season.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/606503)

Just don't go planning that TFC parade, yet
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

Like a flashback from a good old Seinfeld episode, "Nobody beats me, because I'm the Wiz".
That line, once delivered with such hilarity, made me laugh at its preposterousness once again Saturday.
Amado Guevara, Dwayne De Rosario and company shredded through the Kansas City Wizards with an efficient brand of attacking soccer, winning their season opener, 3-2.
Nevermind the Wizards uninspiring performance, TFC was thorough, and more often than not, in control in a statement win on the road, something previously missing from their repertoire.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/03/23/8848736-sun.html)

Opening win a fresh start for Toronto FC
Beats Kansas City; Guevara scores twice as TFC starts with win for first time
Sean Fitz-Gerald, NP

Only one team has missed the playoffs in each of its first three seasons of competition in Major League Soccer, and a few days before he opened his third campaign with Toronto FC, captain Jim Brennan held firm to the belief his hometown team would not become the second entry on that list.
He believed in his teammates, and in the law of averages.
"It's inevitable," he said last week. "I mean, you're not going to have another 20 years of not making the playoffs. Of course you'll make the playoffs."

Read More (http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=1418406)

Opening win a breakthrough for TFC
Road victory represents first-ever season-opening win for third-year club

By Bob Rusert / MLSnet.com Staff
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A new day for Toronto FC has been signaled. Saturday's 3-2 win at Kansas City was the third-year club's first win in a season opener and one of only five away wins in its brief history. "You can tell by the smile on my face I'm absolutely delighted," said TFC head coach John Carver. "Our away record last season wasn't great, and it was important we came into the first game of the season and got something from it. I'm delighted with the three points, delighted with the performance."
The Reds displayed a complete side -- a potent and opportune attack and a stingy defense, despite two spectacular strikes from Wizards midfielder Davy Arnaud.

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090322&content_id=229153&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC opens season on winning note - and on the road
PAUL ATTFIELD

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Or so it seems for Toronto FC. With the new additions dominating the headlines in the buildup to Saturday's kickoff, it was the team's first signing, Jim Brennan, and 2008 holdover Amado Guevara who accounted for the scoring during a 3-2 win in Kansas City against the Wizards.
The result was an important franchise first: victory in a season-opener. The fact it came on the road - Toronto had just four road wins through its first two seasons - and the team successfully defended a one-goal lead for the last quarter of an hour, pleased head coach John Carver almost as much as the three points.

Read More (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090323.TFC23/TPStory/Sports)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :smilielol5:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Sean Fitz-Gerald, National Post???

Isnt this the same dick you wrote the TFC hooligans articles and all the negitive ones regarding the TFC fans in Columbus last season..

I refuse to read any of his garbage...

anyway!

MorninG D! :)

Stouffville_RPB
03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
If not for 2 great strikes from KC TFC comes away with a decisive 3-0 win Saturday. Great game. With all our signings who thought Jimmy was going to score the first goal of the season?

Side note: Guevara should be our pk taker.

Workie
03-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Ah the start of the season the Articles still have that new season smell. :D

Morning D

Mrs. Workie
03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Ah the start of the season the Articles still have that new season smell. :D

Morning D

Meaning we're all still in a good mood and have a positive outlook on the season :D

scooter
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM
mornin d

great start to the year " come on you reds"

Mikey
03-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Isnt this the same dick you wrote the TFC hooligans articles and all the negitive ones regarding the TFC fans in Columbus last season..

anyway!

It's one guy? I thought it was a pair if gay sports writers, Sean Fitz Gerald and Gerald Fitz Sean.....

Parkdale
03-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Like a flashback from a good old Seinfeld episode, "Nobody beats me, because I'm the Wiz".

hahahha.... even our user names are getting into the press.

Billy the kid
03-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Van trumps TO in MLS season ticket drive

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/03/23/8847976-sun.html

rocker
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM

fuck off vancouver. if it wasn't for TFC and seattle being in the league
you wouldn't be scooping up those deposits so quickly... :)

p.s. the sunshine girl has a nice MILFy quality to her.

BFin
03-23-2009, 08:48 AM

p.s. the sunshine girl has a nice MILFy quality to her.
Monday's Incredibly Laughable Female?
bout the only MILF quality I see there hah.
:canada:

C.Ronaldo
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
how can you compare a $50 deposit to paying full season ticket prices?

Thats ridiculous

Damien
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
hahahha.... even our user names are getting into the press.

Ban him, he's leaking info!

Pachuco
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
how can you compare a $50 deposit to paying full season ticket prices?

Thats ridiculous

They aren't. They are supposively comparing them to the deposits. Did we really only sell 3000 deposits initially though? I thought it was alot more then that.

Luanda
03-23-2009, 09:14 AM
BTW, for all of those who were denegrating the value of the draft and complaining about those drafted, the fact that Cronin and Frei did start and performed well should get them to reconsider, if not eat their words.

tfcleeds
03-23-2009, 09:16 AM

anyway!

I believe the person who wrote "the article" was Joe O'Connor, but Sean Fitzgerald was just as guilty in the TFC bashing last season.

Oh well, the National Post has had a couple of decent articles re: TFC lately, I'm willing to give them another chance. I mean, if we're going to ban all NP articles, why not the Sun (Douchebag Simmons) or the Star (Catheter Kelly)?

denime
03-23-2009, 09:19 AM
And they call it TFC, not FC like CUNThal Kelly

Carter
03-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Mornin Guys,

The storm has now shifted from KC, and it looks like its heading towards Columbus next.

Technorgasm
03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Is it me, or has Beretta like. . Beef'd up?

He looks fuckin MEAN out there!!

MOTM: GUEVARA, could have had three.

TFC = THE REAL DEAL!

next vicitim: COLUMBUS!

Technorgasm
03-23-2009, 09:26 AM
ps. SSG = Mitsou double. . "Bye bye. . mon cowboy"

nobodybeatsthewiz
03-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Ban him, he's leaking info!

pipe down, bolton!

Strikers
03-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Side note: Guevara should be our pk taker.

I'm guessing Guevara & DeRo made a deal, Guevara took all the free kicks and I'm guessing DeRo will take all the PKs for us.

Nuvinho
03-23-2009, 09:44 AM
JC said that DeRo is their designated Penalty kick taker.

However, on Saturday, I saw DeRo and Guevara talking after the ref gave the PK call. I was expecting DeRo to let Guevara take it, so he'd get his hat trick.

mlsintoronto
03-23-2009, 09:48 AM
who peed in Wheeler's frosted luck charms? save something for the article after a loss...why do Toronto press kill its teams' spirit? There's validity to his points, but he states we won, and proceeds to dismangle the game. where's the balance?

(yes - i typed "dismangle". It was a typo but i like it so I kept it in.)

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
And they call it TFC, not FC like CUNThal Kelly

It's "the FC", please.:D

Great start but Columbus will be a bigger challenge. Luckily we'll also have bigger away support to compensate.

:canada::canada::canada:

keem-o-sabi
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
today's miss co-ed is hot (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/) great weekend (Pool and TFC) and a hot co-ed girl nice day :)

mlsintoronto
03-23-2009, 10:04 AM

just a wee point of clarification...we sold memberships for $50...just over 3,000 that turned into 10,000 season tickets when we started selling. but...who cares. I'm ecstatic that Vancouver is going to do well.

Redcoe15
03-23-2009, 10:09 AM
But... I already claimed my spot on the route! :p

4.500 deposits for a team that won't start in two years. Looks good on 'em. Vancouver has been a well established soccer market for years. MLS made a wise choice.

And, at 29 years old, today's SSG is the world's youngest MILF. Perhaps we should call her the Sunshine Woman?

flatpicker
03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
^ If not for the terrible clothes, bad makeup and bad photography, I think the SSG is kinda nice looking...

NF-FC
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
This isn't to knock the play of Carl Robinson. The Welshman had a day in the middle, but his strength is in distribution and heady decision-making, rather than a ball-winner.

Seriously? Last time I checked Robbo was one of the top ball winners in the league :noidea:

BakaGaijin
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
just a wee point of clarification...we sold memberships for $50...just over 3,000 that turned into 10,000 season tickets when we started selling. but...who cares. I'm ecstatic that Vancouver is going to do well.

I don't know who was responsible for the marketing of TFC and it's intial launch. However, I think they may very well be responsible for taking this league to the next level. This formula has been copied with successful results in Seattle and now Vancouver.

Without TFC's success Vancouver would never have even got a sniff of MLS.

With that being said..........let's see a freeze on ticket price increases...no need to be a bunch of greedy bastards.

martina
03-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I was so happy to see the game on Saturday on GOL that I recorded it and watched it again on Sunday... good old Brennan getting the first goal of the season brought tears to my eyes... I know we can take on Columbus

KrazyKanadian
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Is it me, or has Beretta like. . Beef'd up?

He looks fuckin MEAN out there!!

Chad has been on a tear since the last game in SC. He missed a couple of close chances and played the rest of the game with a chip on his shoulder, and I could see the same thing in KC. If he keeps up being so aggressive in his play, he could go on a pretty good run of goals.

JDG
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't know who was responsible for the marketing of TFC and it's intial launch. However, I think they may very well be responsible for taking this league to the next level. This formula has been copied with successful results in Seattle and now Vancouver.

With that being said..........let's see a freeze on ticket price increases...no need to be a bunch of greedy bastards.

The person with the "vision" that made things run as well as they did from the get go, is the man you quoted in your reply. Without him, things would have been very different. I dread the day that he gets a better job offer.:eek:

James17930
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM

QFT.

TFC made this league. That's all there is to it. If not for us, Seattle and now Van would not be having this level of success.

The one thing I'm curious about, though, is Philly. They're joining next year and we've barely heard a thing about them.

Lucky Strike
03-23-2009, 10:58 AM

That's exactly how I feel. Seattle may have sold more season tickets (which is good, but you can't compare to TFC given that we have a smaller stadium) and Vancouver can come up with whatever numbers they want to make themselves feel better (but I still hope they do well only because they're Canadian and hopefully will help Montreal owner Saputo to get his butt in gear for the MLS) but TFC is the team that raised the bar so high for all others and I'm very proud of that. No one can take that away from us. :canada:

trane
03-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Seriously? Last time I checked Robbo was one of the top ball winners in the league :noidea:

I was going to comment on that. What the fuck is Wheeler talking about? I have heard many knocks against Robbo, but his defensive skills have never been questioned. I am not sure what to say.

tfcleeds
03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Good on Seattle for getting 32,000 out for their inaugural MLS game. Good on them for having 22,000 season tickets sold in an NFL stadium. I think their fans will be great, and if they push us to be better, that can only be a good thing.

However, I'd be interested to see if they can fill a pub with 200 supporters for an away game. I'd be interested to see if they bring 100 fans to Kansas City.

bee dubya
03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
This is the best part of Wheeler's article...
"
GOL TV's game-day production has a lot of potential. Sure, there were a lot of technical issues, but that happens in live production, especially on a first broadcast.
Still, there are many issues that need to be dealt with from a creative approach to maintaining the integrity of the game from a soccer perspective. But the most important thing that has to be dropped are the tacky, full-frame player profile boards that were thrown up during live game-action.
Soccer isn't like hockey or basketball where there's a lot of dead-time to fill. The game is constant and isn't conducive to filling space with unnecessary visuals.
Because of the use of the boards, the lead-up to a Guevara tally was missed. This cannot continue to happen."

It was a decent first effort but I hope that the folks in charge of Gol's production discuss what worked and didn't work about the broadcast on Saturday night - specifically those player profiles (BTW, WTF was with RR's picture for his profile?)

Pachuco
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
QFT.

TFC made this league. That's all there is to it. If not for us, Seattle and now Van would not be having this level of success.

The one thing I'm curious about, though, is Philly. They're joining next year and we've barely heard a thing about them.

We've heard alot about Sons of Ben from Philly. But you make a good point, haven't heard a thing about how many deposits or season tickets they've sold at this point.

Pachuco
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Not only that (and this isn't to knock Robbo) but he isn't exactly the best distributor of the ball we have on our team. This shows how much he's watched TFC play.

jloome
03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
who peed in Wheeler's frosted luck charms? save something for the article after a loss...why do Toronto press kill its teams' spirit? There's validity to his points, but he states we won, and proceeds to dismangle the game. where's the balance?

(yes - i typed "dismangle". It was a typo but i like it so I kept it in.)

Good new word!

You'll probably experience a fair bit of this during the season; it's "I don't have a new angle" syndrome, common to young and inexperienced hacks. Don't have a new angle? Take a negative approach on a positive story. That should rile people up!

SweetOwnGoal
03-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I won't do this every week, but...

Last year I wrote a weekly column for Ives. I went with more of a supporter's viewpoint thing than a analytical breakdown of the game. Although Ives isn't currently running A Supporter's View columns anymore, I decided to continue them at The 24th Minute.

I'm calling it Sober Second Thoughts (if you follow!)
Here is this week's:
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/03/sober-second-thoughts-result-to.html

RPLProducer
03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I was going to comment on that. What the fuck is Wheeler talking about? I have heard many knocks against Robbo, but his defensive skills have never been questioned. I am not sure what to say.

Writer lost all credibility with me after i read that line... He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

rocker
03-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Philly has sold 6000 season tickets last I heard.

Jeffro
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Not only that (and this isn't to knock Robbo) but he isn't exactly the best distributor of the ball we have on our team. This shows how much he's watched TFC play.

He also said goalkeeping is our weak spot and that we have no depth.

trane
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Writer lost all credibility with me after i read that line... He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

That is the only conclussion I can draw.

trane
03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
jeffro

I was puzzled by the goalkeeping thing as well, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because I had not caught most to the game, and I though maybe kid messed up. I certainly would say that kid looks good, and goalkeeping is a solid position.

James17930
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Philly has sold 6000 season tickets last I heard.

Wow. That's gotta be considered a failure by recent standards.

Course, once they have an actual team name and kit maybe people will get more excited.

Still don't know what they're waiting for, though, unless the owners can't afford it anymore.