PDA

View Full Version : Different Lineup and formation against Columbus

Nuvinho
03-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I know its only a day after the game, but with 2 keys to our team missing next weekend, JC will have to tinker with the lineup and see how it works during practice this week.

-------------------Frei/Sutton--------------------------

--Wynne--------Serioux---------Harmse-------Brennan--

----------------------Cronin---------------------------

Smith/Ibbe------------------------------------Ricketts

----------------------DeRo---------------------------

--------------Vitti---------------Barrett--------------

The only thing I am thinking, IF we get a CB in this week (highly unlikely)...then you move Serioux to CDM (where he likes to play), and Cronin on the wing again.

Shakes McQueen
03-22-2009, 11:23 AM
No way he uses Serioux in the midfield. If a new CB comes in, the new guy replaces Harmse, and Serioux stays where he is. I can almost guarantee it.

- Scott

Nuvinho
03-22-2009, 11:25 AM
No way he uses Serioux in the midfield. If a new CB comes in, the new guy replaces Harmse, and Serioux stays where he is. I can almost guarantee it.

- Scott

I do agree with you.....it would be very unlikely. I just don't know how much JC is willing to play Smith or Ibbe on the wing as a starter. Too bad Sanyang isn't 18 yet.....haha!!!!

Jack
03-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I think Cronin could do alright playing there.

But man, our midfield was strong yesterday!

bignickel
get barrett out and throw in ibbe, sorry but wasted point blank chances like that worry me. not to mention cramping, throw him in at the 70 minute mark if we need to.

Dozitwin

- Scott

I doubt that Carver would just replace Harmes with a new CB is one came in. Harmse hasn't done anything that would remotely put him at risk of losing his spot. Aside from that fitness and group 'comfort' and communication are a big factor for JC. I don't see him throwing a 'stranger' into the mix without first knowing where his fitness is at or how well he plays with the rest of the back line.

ben_vw
03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Nuvinho's looks okay. What about this...

Frei/Sutton
Velez / Serioux / Harmse / Brennan
Wynne / Cronin / DeRo / Ricketts
Vitti / Barrett

Shakes McQueen
03-22-2009, 11:44 AM
My prediction (in 4-4-2 form for simplicity's sake):

--------------------Frei--------------------
Wynne--New CB?----------Serioux--Brennan
-------------------Cronin-------------------
Jo Smith----------------------------Ricketts
-------------------DeRo--------------------
--------Vitti-----------------Barrett--------

- Scott

pekduck
03-22-2009, 11:45 AM
get barrett out and throw in ibbe, sorry but wasted point blank chances like that worry me. not to mention cramping, throw him in at the 70 minute mark if we need to.

ibbey can't out muscle defenders, barret at least can fend off a challenge or two... for all ibbey's appearances in charleston, he looked weak, and when he has opening, he hesitates with the ball and wasted more suble opportunities...

of course barret's missed the most glaring opportunities to score, but still has more value than ibbey in terms of possession and creating movements.

ibbey is useful when defense is less physical (same can be said of vitti) or slow... i.e. the shite bulls

Shakes McQueen
03-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I doubt that Carver would just replace Harmes with a new CB is one came in. Harmse hasn't done anything that would remotely put him at risk of losing his spot. Aside from that fitness and group 'comfort' and communication are a big factor for JC. I don't see him throwing a 'stranger' into the mix without first knowing where his fitness is at or how well he plays with the rest of the back line.

Obviously it would depend on who the new CB is, I guess.

- Scott

bignickel
03-22-2009, 11:52 AM
ibbey can't out muscle defenders, barret at least can fend off a challenge or two... for all ibbey's appearances in charleston, he looked weak, and when he has opening, he hesitates with the ball and wasted more suble opportunities...

of course barret's missed the most glaring opportunities to score, but still has more value than ibbey in terms of possession and creating movements.

ibbey is useful when defense is less physical (same can be said of vitti) or slow... i.e. the shite bulls

problem solved then, start dichio if we are worried about the physical game. the guy is still in shape and could easily handle 65-75 minutes.

pekduck
03-22-2009, 11:55 AM
problem solved then, start dichio if we are worried about the physical game. the guy is still in shape and could easily handle 65-75 minutes.

Exactly what carver did, in the game against Real Salt Lake, Vitti was off, Dichio was in around 75 min mark.

However, Dichio's age is catching up, he's more useful for the last 25 min as a fresh big physical presence scoring threat when opposing defense is in the trench for 60 min.

Vitti/Barrett start, Dichio in for either Vitti (upgrade in muscle)/Barrett(save the cramping kid) in middle of 2nd half

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I know its only a day after the game, but with 2 keys to our team missing next weekend, JC will have to tinker with the lineup and see how it works during practice this week.

The only thing I am thinking, IF we get a CB in this week (highly unlikely)...then you move Serioux to CDM (where he likes to play), and Cronin on the wing again.

i would rather have Ibee up front instead of choke barrett

Jack
03-22-2009, 12:19 PM
i would rather have Ibee up front instead of choke barrett
Go easy on him, man. It was first game nerves. Everyone can have a bad moment or two in front of goal. He still played a solid game otherwise.

CDNSoccerFan
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
his finishing was Bendtneresque

Nuvinho
03-22-2009, 12:24 PM
We all knew about Barrett's problems, it was mentioned several times last year from the Fire fans. But, saying that, he is one of the hardest working players on the field. He will get his goals, but will also miss a lot of chances.

I never actually thought about playing Velez at RB, and moving Wynne up to mid, it could be an option.

Next week, the Crew have Hejduk and Moreno out for international I think. Moffatt is hurt, so JC will have to see how the Crew lineup as well.

dantdot
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
^ I think Rogers has a hamstring injury, good news for us.

kitchener-TFC
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd go with Barrett and Vitti upfront. Pluck Barrett out around the 75th minute, and replace him with Ibbe, and then take Vitti out around the 80th minute, and put in Dichio.
I was surprised how the commentators kept rambling on about how DeRo is solid, hardworking ect ect. :)
My 2 cents.

Ron Manager
03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Barrett will start. Barrett will do well this season. He was the same for the Fire and played the same for us last year and still tallied 9 goals in all. And that was when he could only play 60 and probably only 45 effectively. . ALL strikers miss chances. ALL strikers miss sitters from time to time. His hard work and good movement create chances and I have him pegged for 12 this season...and enough missed chances to have doubled his tally. And I'll be fine with that.
His presence also means defenders can't just mark DeRo/Vitti. Leaving Barrett alone in space would be a big mistake.

egoodwin
03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Vitti in for Guevara is all that is needed

Dunkers
03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Guvera is gone on int duties, but who else is missing? my mind is cramping like chad barret in the 85th min...

Nuvinho
03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Guvera is gone on int duties, but who else is missing? my mind is cramping like chad barret in the 85th min...

Robbo

Ossington Mental Youth
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I dont think Wynne will be up on the wing, especially when we have JoSmith who naturally plays that position. As much as i love Wynne he doesnt have the technical skills to properly play on the wing, i can remember him making a crap cross or two last game (and many last year). Itll prob be this

unless we do 4-5-1 again with Velez and Serioux in the back and Harmse and Cronin playing DM in the mid

Super Cereal
03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I really hope Vitti and Smith play!

zamperina
03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I thought Wynne was supposed to miss the Columbus game because he was selected for the U.S. WCQ game?

colman1860
03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I talked about this in my game writeup this morning:
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/arnauds-wizardry-not-enough-as-reds-beat-kc.html

I figure De Ro drops to Guevara's position and Vitti starts.
Also, Cronin pushes inside (Robbo's slot), Ricketts plays on the right, and Jo Smith plays on left.

Also, why are people suggesting Sutton should start? Frei has won the shirt for now, and hasn't done anything to lose it yet.

Lucky Strike
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I talked about this in my game writeup this morning:
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/arnauds-wizardry-not-enough-as-reds-beat-kc.html

I figure De Ro drops to Guevara's position and Vitti starts.
Also, Cronin pushes inside (Robbo's slot), Ricketts plays on the right, and Jo Smith plays on left.

Also, why are people suggesting Sutton should start? Frei has won the shirt for now, and hasn't done anything to lose it yet.

Exactly the way I'd line it up. In particular, Smith, as you correctly point out, must go on the left, not the right. And there are some who are crucifying Barrett after 89 minutes of play. Come on fellas!:noidea:

rocker
03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought Wynne was supposed to miss the Columbus game because he was selected for the U.S. WCQ game?

He was not selected.

VPjr
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM
------------Frei------------------
Brennan-Velez/Nana-Harmse-Wynne
----------Serioux----------------
Ricketts---------------------Cronin
-----------DeRo--------------
--------Vitti-----Barrett-------

Daveisonfire
03-22-2009, 10:16 PM
------------Frei------------------
Brennan-Velez/Nana-Harmse-Wynne
----------Serioux----------------
Ricketts---------------------Cronin
-----------DeRo--------------
--------Vitti-----Barrett-------

One of these two for me.

MUFC_Niagara
03-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I dont think Wynne will be up on the wing, especially when we have JoSmith who naturally plays that position. As much as i love Wynne he doesnt have the technical skills to properly play on the wing, i can remember him making a crap cross or two last game (and many last year). Itll prob be this

unless we do 4-5-1 again with Velez and Serioux in the back and Harmse and Cronin playing DM in the mid

This looks about right....except i'd like to even see Ibbe in behind Vitti and Barrett and DeRo back on the wing.

It depends what Columbus go with.....if they have 3 at the back and play a maore attacking formation then definitely DeRo on the wing to stretch them out more...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
I gota feeling VITTI is gona step up in this game!!!......

It wouldnt surprise me that CARVER....sat him vs KC.. To light a fire under him...knowing full well Guevara is out.....2000 Strong reds in the southend....Here's you chance to shine kid!

I hope im right~! :)

ensco
03-23-2009, 07:32 AM
I'd bet real money you guys are all wrong.

Vitti won't start this Saturday either, and it's Dichio instead.

This is not a good situation to introduce Vitti. Columbus has probably the best defense in the league. We need a hard man to win balls in the air against Marshall and Hejduk.

I'd wait to start him against the Sounders at home. Much better odds of him having a good first game.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I'd bet real money you guys are all wrong.

This is not a good situation to introduce Vitti. Columbus has probably the best defense in the league. We need a hard man to win balls in the air against Marshall and Hejduk.

I'd wait to start him against the Sounders at home. Much better odds of him having a good first game.

Columbus is a home game.....:D

ensco
03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Columbus is a home game.....:D

We agree on that!

rocker
03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
We need a hard man to win balls in the air against Marshall and Hejduk.

Hejduk is off with the national team.

KdotOdot
03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Is it me or does Chad look like an American Rooney. We should sing a song about him to the tune of American Woman.

American Rooney!!!
Can't score a gooooal!!!

poppamidnight
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Three things with the majority of assessments:
1 - Rohan has the ability to play both sides - he did this quite often last year swiching during the game...etc
2 - Cronin as the lone hold MF in his second game? Thats alot of pressure to put on this kid (I say kid even though im only 5 months older than him)
3 - You people put too much faith in Mo Johnson's speed at bringing in new bodies.... Do you NOT remember our first two seasons??? I put the chances of a new CB coming in at 0.0001%

Something like this seems MOST likely for me:

-----------------------Frei--------------------------

--Wynne--------Serioux-------Velez-------Brennan--

-------------Cronin--------Harmse--------------

Ricketts------------------------------------DeRo

NOTE: I originally had a brain-fart and was about to slot Rosenlund in alongside Cronin.... WTF man, that guy was a prime bench player. As it stands now our bench is positionally out of whack. Factor in our Internationals and it's 10X out of whack!!! We have too many attacking Strikers/MF's.... Just saying Rosenlund would look mighty nice heading into next week!

mclaren
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Three things with the majority of assessments:
1 - Rohan has the ability to play both sides - he did this quite often last year swiching during the game...etc
2 - Cronin as the lone hold MF in his second game? Thats alot of pressure to put on this kid (I say kid even though im only 5 months older than him)
3 - You people put too much faith in Mo Johnson's speed at bringing in new bodies.... Do you NOT remember our first two seasons??? I put the chances of a new CB coming in at 0.0001%

NOTE: I originally had a brain-fart and was about to slot Rosenlund in alongside Cronin.... WTF man, that guy was a prime bench player. As it stands now our bench is positionally out of whack. Factor in our Internationals and it's 10X out of whack!!! We have too many attacking Strikers/MF's.... Just saying Rosenlund would look mighty nice heading into next week!

looks good to me.

Ratven
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Is it me or does Chad look like an American Rooney. We should sing a song about him to the tune of American Woman.

American Rooney!!!
Can't score a gooooal!!!

Hah, I was saying this to my friends at Shoeless :D

VPjr
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM

This is also a definite possibility and wouldn't be too bad

Stryker
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree. I think Dichio will start.

----------------Frei---------------
Wynne---Serioux--Harmse---Brennen
---------------Cronin---------------
Ricketts-----------------------Smith
----------------DeRo---------------
--------Dichio---------Barrett------

poppamidnight
03-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Can't make that decision based on the love for DD

He's even admitted he's slowed down this yr feeling the aches and pains...

Somebody documented the fact you will be lucky to get 30 mins out of him and he seems set to come in near the end and give 20 solid mins each game......

Vitti gets the start,
Danny get the sub for 'Sir-Cramp-A-Lot'*

Afterall, why start a guy whose cap is at around 30 mins?

*note - from now on I will be addressing Barret as Sir-Cramp-A-Lot... Somebody give this guy some Gatorade and Banana's!!!

Technorgasm
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I dont think JC will have the same tactics as with KC.

Given the CLMB has 2x the offensive threats.

--Wynne---------------Harmse----------------Brennan--

-------------Serioux -------------Velez-----------------

Ricketts---------------Cronin---------------Johan Smith

-------------------------------Barrett-----------------

Pairings of Excellence:

Cronin + DERO

Wynne and Rockets

Jimmy B +J-smith

If we go down. Vitti comes in as strike partner and we hammer them or face oblivion.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I gota feeling VITTI is gona step up in this game!!!......

It wouldnt surprise me that CARVER....sat him vs KC.. To light a fire under him...knowing full well Guevara is out.....2000 Strong reds in the southend....Here's you chance to shine kid!

I hope im right~! :)

I hope so your right b/c Vitti and Barrett need a big game together to show JC that there he's go to guy's

Calvin
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
harmse played well last game so did serioux.

Calvin
03-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Hah, I was saying this to my friends at Shoeless :D

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN

Yohan
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I dont think JC will have the same tactics as with KC.

Given the CLMB has 2x the offensive threats.

--Wynne---------------Harmse----------------Brennan--

-------------Serioux -------------Velez-----------------

Ricketts---------------Cronin---------------Johan Smith

-------------------------------Barrett-----------------

Pairings of Excellence:

Cronin + DERO

Wynne and Rockets

Jimmy B +J-smith

If we go down. Vitti comes in as strike partner and we hammer them or face oblivion.
Sorry dude. This looks right out to lunch

two sidebacks and a DM for back 3?

ensco
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Cronin doesn't look like a replacement for Robinson yet, to me. Not enough ball winning ability. Too much to ask of him in a tough game.

I'd rather have Velez in, than both Smith and Ricketts.

I'd leave Cronin wide, move Serioux into CM/sweeper, tell Adrian he can't cross midfield, and bring Velez on at CB.

Gulp.

Yohan
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
---------------Frei
-Wynne--Serioux--Velez--Brennan
-Cronin---Harmse---Ricketts
------------De Rosario
-----Vitti/Dichio----Barrett

Subs: Sutton, Attakora-Gyan, Gomez, Smith, Gala, Ibrahim, Dichio/Vitti

-Velez did ok for that one game in Charleston.
-With two key CMs gone, someone has to step up. Harmse just needs to be defensively solid and let Ricketts and DeRo do the offensive mid work
-I dunno if Robbie Rogers is playing, I'd rather let Cronin who seems defensively solid and Wynne shut Rogers down on the right
-Dichio might be better option if TFC needs a ball winner against CMB CBs, but Vitti should get his chance. I think I like Dichio to start, and use Vitti in case Barrett or Dichio have bad games and Ibby available also for late game sub
-With a thin bench on midfield, it is a bit worrisome. Hopefully no injuries

ensco
03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
---------------Frei
-Wynne--Serioux--Velez--Brennan
-Cronin---Harmse---Ricketts
------------De Rosario
-----Vitti/Dichio----Barrett

Subs: Sutton, Attakora-Gyan, Gomez, Smith, Gala, Ibrahim, Dichio/Vitti

-Velez did ok for that one game in Charleston.
-With two key CMs gone, someone has to step up. Harmse just needs to be defensively solid and let Ricketts and DeRo do the offensive mid work
-I dunno if Robbie Rogers is playing, I'd rather let Cronin who seems defensively solid and Wynne shut Rogers down on the right
-Dichio might be better option if TFC needs a ball winner against CMB CBs, but Vitti should get his chance. I think I like Dichio to start, and use Vitti in case Barrett or Dichio have bad games and Ibby available also for late game sub
-With a thin bench on midfield, it is a bit worrisome. Hopefully no injuries

I personally would reverse Harmse for Serioux, but I think you have 100% nailed what Carver will actually do.

T_Mizz
03-23-2009, 05:20 PM

I'm thinking something like this as well but with Vitti starting, instead of Danny

Nuvinho
03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
No Harmse as CDM, he will definately get sent off. He already hates GBS, and will probably be even more aggressive this game.

jloome
03-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Crew are missing Hejduk, Moreno, Rogers and Oughton.

I figure he'll drop d-ro back into central mid and play him beside cronin.

----------Sutton/Frei-------------
Wynne---Harmse--Serioux---Brennan
Smith---DeRosario--Cronin---Ricketts
---------vitti----barrett----------------

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Barrett will start. Barrett will do well this season. He was the same for the Fire and played the same for us last year and still tallied 9 goals in all. And that was when he could only play 60 and probably only 45 effectively. . ALL strikers miss chances. ALL strikers miss sitters from time to time. His hard work and good movement create chances and I have him pegged for 12 this season...and enough missed chances to have doubled his tally. And I'll be fine with that.
His presence also means defenders can't just mark DeRo/Vitti. Leaving Barrett alone in space would be a big mistake.
the thing is , wouldnt ibee finish those , what 5 chances.... i think YES:canada:

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-24-2009, 04:19 AM
I hope so your right b/c Vitti and Barrett need a big game together to show JC that there he's go to guy's
Choky barrett couldn't hit the other end of a zip line ....:D

Stryker
03-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Come to think of it you may be right about a 4-4-2.
You have Smith on the right side as do alot of people... I know Ricketts can play ethier side but I don't think Smith can play well on the right.

Chevy
03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Wynne, Smith, Dero and Vitti on one side of the field. That is gonna be a handful.

Nuvinho
03-25-2009, 08:41 AM
looking more and more likely that Rogers will be out. That could change the strategy of how JC lines up, as they won't have the wing threat anymore.

Crazy formation considering out D isn't that great, but it kinda allows Wynne and Brennan to make runs. Ricko has played in the middle before. Would JC put one player just to man mark GBS, and frustrate him??

3-5-2:

-----------------------------------Frei--------------------------------

---Velez-----------------------Serioux----------------------Harmse---

-------Wynne------------------Cronin------------------Brennan-------

--------------------Ricketts----------DeRo---------------------------

--------------Vitti---------------------------Barrett-----------------

nobodybeatsthewiz
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
^ as much as id like to see it, i dont think jimmy will be on the wing......having got 3 pts, i think carver (as would i) will be happy with a pt and wont risk having a formation thats too aggressive.

Shaughno
03-25-2009, 08:52 AM

Yup pretty much as I see it. Maybe more of a Diamond formation if he really wants the 3 pts.

------------Cronin
Smith---------------------Ricketts
-----------DeRosario
---------Vitti----Barrett

ACSertL
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
^ Just about to post the diamond.

I think its probably the way to go.

mclaren
03-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I very much doubt he will start with Smith - could be wrong though.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Who on the wing instead of Smith?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 09:34 AM
maybe a 4-3-3 with Ibbe?
or 4-4-2 with Ibbe?

poppamidnight
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Who on the wing instead of Smith?

I've already said it:

Ricketts

He switched sides SOO many times last year, thats half the reason Carvers in love with the guy - Such Versatility

I'm also in the Smith-likely-wont-start boat -
Have we seen Carver use him lots?
Nope...
...for whatever reason i get the impression he's in carvers doghose...

Ricketts on one wing
De Ro on the other
Vitti + Chat in the middle

Give the rook some help in the middle to take some pressure off him IN HIS SECOND MLS GAME
-this means bumping harmse up

and putting Velez alongside Serioux

Quite simple really

ACSertL
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
So then something like this?

-----------Sutton/Frei----------

Wynne--Velez--Serioux--Brennan

---------Cronin--Harmse--------

Ricketts---------------De Rosario

----------Vitti----Barrett--------

poppamidnight
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
So then something like this?

-----------Sutton/Frei----------

Wynne--Velez--Serioux--Brennan

---------Cronin--Harmse--------

Ricketts---------------De Rosario

----------Vitti----Barrett--------

MOST likely - never know sice Carver doesnt want to tip his hat...
just going by all indications...

And you can take out Sutton - highly unlikely he starts with the way Frei played and how much better he made the backline with his vocal leadership

ACSertL
03-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree with the selection of Frei, he certainly didn't do anything vs Kansas City that would have lost him the starter's job.

Shway
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
--------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------

----------------------Harmse-----------Serioux-----------

Wynne-------------------------------------------------------Brennan
---------------------------Cronin---------------------------------

Smith--------------------------------------------------------Ricketts
--------------------Derosario------Vitti--------------------------

------------------------------Dichio---------------------------

Leave Scuff Barrett on the bench!
or is it Cramp Barrett?
or hadchances barret
or toldmyselfi'mrooneybutcantfinishlikehim barret lol

give the guy a break! lol

poppamidnight
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM

or is it Cramp Barrett?
or hadchances barret

C'mon people lets be realistic

Danny said his legs aren't what they were before

He's only got about 30 mins/game in him

So why START a guy who's going to be subbed out ???

Danny + Chad = perfect combination. 'Mr Cramps and the Old Gramps!' - Outside of 60 mins, DD gets the call once Chad cramps up....

T_Mizz
03-25-2009, 04:16 PM

or is it Cramp Barrett?
or hadchances barret

Did that seriously make you laugh out loud? TWICE?!?! You must write for Carson Daly:D

nfitz
03-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Outside of 60 mins, DD gets the call once Chad cramps up....Or better yet, BEFORE Chad cramps up ...

KShep121
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
C'mon people lets be realistic

Danny said his legs aren't what they were before

He's only got about 30 mins/game in him

So why START a guy who's going to be subbed out ???

Danny + Chad = perfect combination. 'Mr Cramps and the Old Gramps!' - Outside of 60 mins, DD gets the call once Chad cramps up....

Didn't Danny play the full 90 minutes last home game 2008 against Chicago? That was coming off injury as well. Are you telling me that in 5 months he has gone from an effective 90 minute player to a 30 minute max sub? What a bunch of crap!!

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
///////////Edwards//////////////////
/////Wynne-Yepes-Serioux////////
///Cronin-DeGuzman-Brennan////
////DeRosario-Ricketts///////////
////////////Vitti//////////////////

now this is a winning lineup

Ron Manager
03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
^^^^ Would even be better with 11 men! ;)

ExiledRed
03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Didn't Danny play the full 90 minutes last home game 2008 against Chicago? That was coming off injury as well. Are you telling me that in 5 months he has gone from an effective 90 minute player to a 30 minute max sub? What a bunch of crap!!
+1

Danny's younger than Schelotto.

ben_vw
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM

+2

Yes, Danny said his legs aren't what they used be. He meant 5 years ago, not 5 months ago. No more of this "he's only good for 30 minutes" bull shit.

Marco2K
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
The way i look at it is CArver has to have the balls to take barrett out earlier.

He was terrible in the first 30 mins last game and it could have cost us the game. Bring Dichio in for the start of the second along side VITTI

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
///////////Edwards//////////////////
/////Wynne-Yepes-Serioux////////
///Cronin-DeGuzman-Brennan////
////DeRosario-Ricketts///////////
////////////Vitti//////////////////

now this is a winning lineup

? Mario Yepes? Is this just speculation or did I miss something?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I've already said it:

Ricketts

He switched sides SOO many times last year, thats half the reason Carvers in love with the guy - Such Versatility

I'm also in the Smith-likely-wont-start boat -
Have we seen Carver use him lots?
Nope...
...for whatever reason i get the impression he's in carvers doghose...

Ricketts on one wing
De Ro on the other
Vitti + Chat in the middle

Give the rook some help in the middle to take some pressure off him IN HIS SECOND MLS GAME
-this means bumping harmse up

and putting Velez alongside Serioux

Quite simple really

maybe im missing something but thats just 3 in the middle (and ive never suggested Ricketts plays anywhere but the wing)

poppamidnight
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
maybe im missing something but thats just 3 in the middle (and ive never suggested Ricketts plays anywhere but the wing)

No I don't think you saw my bump up harmse comment, so this is what it would look like

---------------------------------Frei---------------
----------------------Velez-----------Serioux-----------

-----------------Cronin----------------Harmse---------------------------
Ricketts--------------------------------------------------------DeRo

--------------------Chad------Vitti--------------------------

I'm going by the evidence provided:

1 - Carver never gives/has given Johann significant time...
2 - Danny + Chad are made for each other- The crampa-and the- grandpa
3 - Velez seems to be the only defensive-minded player carver feels safe playing (even though he does so sparingly)
4 - Harmse has experience as a holding MF
5 - Carver always swung Ricketts around last year
6 - It's Cronins SECOND MLS game...EVER!!! ...correct me if im wrong but isn't easing a player better for development? Maybe if it was game #10 then he could handle it alone, but I just wouldn't risk the pressure or the off chance we somehow could screw his confidence and damage his long-term potential
7 - Danny's Age (i've said the 30 min mark) ALONG WITH HIS INJURY HISTORY... Why would Carver risk anything this early in the season with big DD? We're gunna need him in the playoffs!!!

= all signs point to yes...

...then again, with carver you can never be 100%

Not necessarily what I'd LIKE to see (I want Johann to get that shot), just saying what the evidence points to as THE MOST LIKELY scenario

jloome
03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Yup pretty much as I see it. Maybe more of a Diamond formation if he really wants the 3 pts.

------------Cronin
Smith---------------------Ricketts
-----------DeRosario
---------Vitti----Barrett

He won't play a diamond against Columbus, if last year is anything to go by. He'll have a flat mid, with Cronin assigned to man-mark schellotto and DeRo playing two ways (unless he decides to play DEro behind the striker and go with a 451).

Plus, Columbus has speed, even with Rogers out. You can't play three up top against them without taking some serious defensive pressure.

Dozitwin
03-25-2009, 07:28 PM

I think this is more likely. Playing a 4-4-2 with Harmse as the DM and Cronin as more of an attacking mid

Technorgasm
03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
when was the last time we saw 2 up front with a proper slot man behind?

= WIN

Yalomed
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
He won't play a diamond against Columbus, if last year is anything to go by. He'll have a flat mid, with Cronin assigned to man-mark schellotto and DeRo playing two ways (unless he decides to play DEro behind the striker and go with a 451).

Plus, Columbus has speed, even with Rogers out. You can't play three up top against them without taking some serious defensive pressure.

Well said and with Velez forced into playing it makes it much more daunting. Switching gears to the midfield, whether it's a flat/diamond to me makes no difference because in the course of the game it can switch every 15 minutes. The key is playing 4 mids who instinctively possess midfielding characteristics to be versatile enough to play whatever role so long as the awareness to be responsible in their coverage is atleast somewhat present. And the quartet of: Ricketts-Cronin-Harmse-DeRo is the best group we have under the circumstances.

Being that we're playing Columbus, it's up in the air who is going to partner Barrett. I know we're all anxiously awaiting the debut of the young Albiceleste but I wouldn't have any problems with Dichio starting at all either. Psychologically it's a pretty significant test one which a kid who is trying to salvage his career might not react well to. With Dichio we know what we're going to get.

As for the Barrett bashers. Almost as important as scoring goals for a striker is finding those opportunities through smart off the ball movement and there is no striker better than Barrett in this facet of the position on TFC at the moment. I know it's quite fashionable in Toronto to run a player out of town but let's be sensible here shall we? It's almost as ridiculous as the Robbo bashers.

Nuvinho
03-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Although Cronin is in his 2nd MLS game, he will be a key piece to the game. He could have the task of man marking GBS.

neuf
03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Although Cronin is in his 2nd MLS game, he will be a key piece to the game. He could have the task of man marking GBS.

Quite the task, a rookie marking the league mvp?

jloome
03-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Quite the task, a rookie marking the league mvp?

Oh yeah. Be interesting to see. Schellotto's movement is very good, especially cutting across the pitch from right to left. Cronin seems like the kind of solid citizen who would watch a whoooole lot of tape on him this week.

We play zonally for the most part so we're not going to mark him out all night unless we stick one guy on him, as we did with Robbo last year.

DigzTFC!
03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
To be honest, I only want Cronin marking GBS. Serioux and Harmse are too slow and foul prone to man mark him. Cronin is fast enough and positionally solid enough to coordinate with the back 4 to keep GBS contained.

As for the wings, I would deploy speed with Smith in starting 11. With Rogers missing, the Crew will have a tough time guarding his speed (yes I know they both play left wing).

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Carver takes a calculated risk in starting Velez and let Serioux heal for a week. The month of May is a very heavy schedule and with the many internationals away for this one it might not be a bad time to take a gamble.

Nuvinho
03-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Cronin may be a rookie, but every scout and coach said he was MLS ready. With GBS, you just need to keep up with him, and frustrate the heck out of him....then he'll start to get all whiny and that throws him off his normal game.

If you put Harmse at CDM.....there is a 90% chance that GBS will prevoke a red card by Harmse.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-25-2009, 11:44 PM
No I don't think you saw my bump up harmse comment, so this is what it would look like

---------------------------------Frei---------------
----------------------Velez-----------Serioux-----------

-----------------Cronin----------------Harmse---------------------------
Ricketts--------------------------------------------------------DeRo

--------------------Chad------Vitti--------------------------

I'm going by the evidence provided:

1 - Carver never gives/has given Johann significant time...
2 - Danny + Chad are made for each other- The crampa-and the- grandpa
3 - Velez seems to be the only defensive-minded player carver feels safe playing (even though he does so sparingly)
4 - Harmse has experience as a holding MF
5 - Carver always swung Ricketts around last year
6 - It's Cronins SECOND MLS game...EVER!!! ...correct me if im wrong but isn't easing a player better for development? Maybe if it was game #10 then he could handle it alone, but I just wouldn't risk the pressure or the off chance we somehow could screw his confidence and damage his long-term potential
7 - Danny's Age (i've said the 30 min mark) ALONG WITH HIS INJURY HISTORY... Why would Carver risk anything this early in the season with big DD? We're gunna need him in the playoffs!!!

= all signs point to yes...

...then again, with carver you can never be 100%

Not necessarily what I'd LIKE to see (I want Johann to get that shot), just saying what the evidence points to as THE MOST LIKELY scenario

without having read of the comments that follow this, its all pretty logical and reasonable

poppamidnight
03-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Cronin may be a rookie, but every scout and coach said he was MLS ready. With GBS, you just need to keep up with him, and frustrate the heck out of him....then he'll start to get all whiny and that throws him off his normal game.

If you put Harmse at CDM.....there is a 90% chance that GBS will prevoke a red card by Harmse.

Oh we're not saying he's not ready by any means....

we're just saying there's not need to put that pressure on him game #2 and possibly eff up that confidence in the long-run....
Makes more sense to let him at er once he gets a handfull of games under his belt first -

-not to mention his nerves will be off a little more than usuall as it will be the BIGGEST TFC supporter crowd he has yet seen.

I agree w/ the Harmse thing, but I believe Carver gave him the talking to...One more screw up he's outta ther....
Tyler Rosenlund I believe is still unattached, so if Harmse screws up again - voila!!!! Out with the bad (cut harmse) in with the good (sing Rosenlund)? ....optimistic I know

So if you ask me, all those point's I made before still stand solid...
I mean unless over the past week Johann Smith has magically become John Carvers best friend, then I still see him in the carver-doghouse. (not sure if thats the right word - but just pointing out the lack of confidence shown in him)

Nana could also be in instead of Velez. Carver seems good with playing Nana, i'm just unsure if he's sitll hurt or not?
Either way, the two players I've seen Carver most cofident in playing off the bench (aside from strikers) are Nana and Velez....

Two defenders as his most frequently used + Harmse's MF experience = seems to be pointing in a pushing up

Fushida
03-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Think Nana is still hurt.. or so it says on the official site. I def agree with your roster.. I'm not seeing Jo Smith (oh yea... don't need to distinguish anymore) getting play time. We haven't really seen him all pre-season unfortunately.

I think Carver will play it "safe" with 2 holders in an away game with the league champs.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM
i suspect, rightly so, that Smith isnt believed to be ready quite yet, hes still fast as hell but lacks the technique whcih he could learn (yes hes older, 21 or something) but i do believe that hes being kept around because they think hes of use

Ossington Mental Youth
03-26-2009, 12:22 AM
although im sure there was a temptation to shift him when they had that african winger in (we still had some cash too i believe)

rocker
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
i just watched the KKKolumbus versus Houston game (1-1) on MLS Matchcenter (in 800K, which is nice).

Columbass looked very organized and composed... but losing Heyduk and Moreno is a big problem for them. Moreno was giving the Houston defense lots of trouble by trying to body and then turn on defenders, while Heyduk was coming forward a lot and working hard. chad marshall was very good as expected, but I was not that impressed with Danny O'Rourke (CB) and Gino Padula (LB). In particularly, their defense looks capable of defending a straightforward offense, but if you have hardworking, unpredictable strikers, they look less mobile and on their heels. I think De Ro, Vitti, and Barrett will really give them trouble if they remain creative. I wouldn't start Dichio because I think Chad Marshall, who's quite tall, can deal with Dichio.. and Dichio is not mobile enough to stretch and test C-Bass's defense.

C-Bass's midfield seems composed and has chemistry, ready to counteract when the opposition defense is napping, but without Moreno I'm not sure they can take advantage. I'm not sure what their backup strikers will have to offer. But beware of Ekpo in the midfield. He's big and strong and fast, and seemed to boss around some of the Houston players.

TFC not having Robbo and Guevara really hurts, but I think we have a deeper squad compared to C-Bass. Their subs for Moreno and Heyduk (and Oughton, who was a sub last week) are pretty fresh and inexperienced. Normally I would also factor in a road factor, but with 2000 TFC fans there it should even that factor out.

jloome
03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
i just watched the KKKolumbus versus Houston game (1-1) on MLS Matchcenter (in 800K, which is nice).

Columbass looked very organized and composed... but losing Heyduk and Moreno is a big problem for them. Moreno was giving the Houston defense lots of trouble by trying to body and then turn on defenders, while Heyduk was coming forward a lot and working hard. chad marshall was very good as expected, but I was not that impressed with Danny O'Rourke (CB) and Gino Padula (LB). In particularly, their defense looks capable of defending a straightforward offense, but if you have hardworking, unpredictable strikers, they look less mobile and on their heels. I think De Ro, Vitti, and Barrett will really give them trouble if they remain creative. I wouldn't start Dichio because I think Chad Marshall, who's quite tall, can deal with Dichio.. and Dichio is not mobile enough to stretch and test C-Bass's defense.

C-Bass's midfield seems composed and has chemistry, ready to counteract when the opposition defense is napping, but without Moreno I'm not sure they can take advantage. I'm not sure what their backup strikers will have to offer. But beware of Ekpo in the midfield. He's big and strong and fast, and seemed to boss around some of the Houston players.

TFC not having Robbo and Guevara really hurts, but I think we have a deeper squad compared to C-Bass. Their subs for Moreno and Heyduk (and Oughton, who was a sub last week) are pretty fresh and inexperienced. Normally I would also factor in a road factor, but with 2000 TFC fans there it should even that factor out.

Good breakdown. They're very high on Padula but he looks shaky to me. Ekpo has lots of speed and technique but not a lot of sense. Really, far and away they're biggest threat is GBS; without rogers to draw the defense over to one side of the zone on the quick switch, I think the Few are gonna be surprised by how deep TFC is.

jloome
03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
And I'd bet dollars to donuts we play DeRo as a central midfielder. They need his creativity there, not on the flank. If Guevara were present, he might make Vitti sit again, but without him, I'll be very surprised if DeRo is on the wing.

Don't see why people are so shocked at the idea of Smith starting for us; for a 21-year-old, he acquitted himself well last year. He's got speed and can beat defenders, of whom they're down a couple.

trane
03-26-2009, 06:41 PM
^ I am not crazy about Smith, but De Ro has to play in a central position, in particular if Gueverra is not playing.

poppamidnight
03-26-2009, 06:41 PM
And I'd bet dollars to donuts we play DeRo as a central midfielder. They need his creativity there, not on the flank. If Guevara were present, he might make Vitti sit again, but without him, I'll be very surprised if DeRo is on the wing.

Don't see why people are so shocked at the idea of Smith starting for us; for a 21-year-old, he acquitted himself well last year. He's got speed and can beat defenders, of whom they're down a couple.

We're not shocked in the idea,
Most of us like it

The fact is this is a projection thread:
Carver's history says he's not gunna start Johann. If Carver indeed has a doghouse, for whatever reason Johann seems to be in it (none of us can really figure out why...)*

Carver's only really ever played him when he's forced to due to international absences + injuries.

Going by Carvers most frequently used:
1-Dichio (for Chad)
2-Velez
3-Nana
4 - Ibbe
5 -Johann

Seems to only really beat out Edwards + the new kids

* Carver kept Rosenlund on the bench for a huge chunk of last year and we didn't know why either, even though Tyler was solid when he got the minutes... leads me to believe he does indeed have a doghouse

trane
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
To me Smith only has one thing going for him; pace. Everything else seems to be unexeptional at best. However, pace with a have decent cross can be very effective on the wings. I do not hate the guy as a player, I am just not suprised that Cerver does not see much in him.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Rosenlund was kept on the bench simply because we had better experienced players in his position (i was a fan of his, he had it all except finishing), although i do think youve made some great suggestions and points Poppa, i think that we will prob see the 4-4-2 with DeRo in the middle and Smith/Ibbe on the wing. Ibee now that i think about it might stay on the bench simply because if Barretts subbed off cuz of his condition and Vitti prob isnt game fit we will need another striker up front...

poppamidnight
03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Not to toot my own horn,

but *toot*toot* I called that lineup....

and I have to say.... Is it not troubling that Carver is THAT predictable????

Alarius
03-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Carver is a terrible tactician.. his luck will run out soon enough..

Ossington Mental Youth
03-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Not to toot my own horn,

but *toot*toot* I called that lineup....

and I have to say.... Is it not troubling that Carver is THAT predictable????

HAHAHA
yes yes you did and i thought that as soon as I saw it.

As for Carver being a terrible tactician, what did he do wrong today?
What would you have done differently Alarius? I certainly fail to see it

dupont
03-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Carver is a terrible tactician.. his luck will run out soon enough..

call me a suck my dick tick tac ticition

poppamidnight
03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
HAHAHA
yes yes you did and i thought that as soon as I saw it.

As for Carver being a terrible tactician, what did he do wrong today?
What would you have done differently Alarius? I certainly fail to see it

too predictable... columbus was ready for it, and we had absolutely NOTHING until the subs came out....

I mean I gave a list of what? 8/9 things pointing to that lineup...

Mix it the heck up

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2009, 12:09 AM
too predictable... columbus was ready for it, and we had absolutely NOTHING until the subs came out....

I mean I gave a list of what? 8/9 things pointing to that lineup...

Mix it the heck up

dont think we have the depth or capability to really mix it up to be honest
I mean outside of a 4-3-3 but even then i think their defense would have destroyed that