PDA

View Full Version : GolTV - Setting a new standard

Dozitwin
03-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Is it just me or has GolTV set a new standard in providing match coverage. I'm watching and can't help but think that their doing an outstanding job.

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I like the in depth stuff, but the production is pretty bad. Lose the full screen interruptions DURING THE GAME, and some of the cheesy fluff pieces, like the interview with Barrett that looked like an awkward first date, and it'll be the new king for me.

- Scott

Marc"2L"
03-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I thought this thread was going to start a little more like this

"Setting a new standard...

For almost missing a TFC goal."

Nuvinho
03-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes, the one thing I don't like is the full screen shots of player profiles during play.

bignickel
03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
oh my god, a post game show!!!!!

Canadian Blue
03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
and the camera work.....when the play is on the far side zoom in ffs......but besides that and the full screen bios it was decent

rocker
03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
i think it's pretty good. if they didn't have those full screen bios they would be fine,. I like Wileman's delivery and professionalism.

Andi turned me on with the flirting with Barrett at halftime ;) i want a date with her ;)

loconet
03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Agreed. Pre game, Post game, in depth covering. Well covered. I hope this is a standard that lasts the whole season.

But yes, they need to stop with those information boxes in the middle of play! I realize they are probably trying to get more people informed about the team but fuck, not in the middle of play!

Oh, and get Hudson in for a couple of games.. :p

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
i think it's pretty good. if they didn't have those full screen bios they would be fine,. I like Wileman's delivery and professionalism.

Andi turned me on with the flirting with Barrett at halftime ;) i want a date with her ;)

I almost killed myself when she asked him what his favourite animal was. Like... really? You think this is what we want to know? haha.

- Scott

rocker
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I almost killed myself when she asked him what his favourite animal was. Like... really? You think this is what we want to know? haha.

- Scott

and it was something like "did you pet the tiger?" and I'm thinking... "Andi, do you want Barrett to pet your tiger?"

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Agreed. Pre game, Post game, in depth covering. Well covered. I hope this is a standard that lasts the whole season.

But yes, they need to stop with those information boxes in the middle of play! I realize they are probably trying to get more people informed about the team but fuck, not in the middle of play!

Oh, and get Hudson in for a couple of games.. :p

Ray Hudson doing a TFC game would be the single greatest two hours of my life.

- Scott

rocker
03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
i like listening to this postgame show with Godfrey and the girl.

ginkster88
03-21-2009, 09:50 PM
You can't be serious. That was some of the worst coverage I've seen... I was cutting them some slack for their absolute ineptitude because this was their first time covering TFC (I'm assuming they just import feeds for their international league matches).

lazlo_80
03-21-2009, 09:55 PM
man, did they shoot the game with a camcorder? It looked like crap. and how come they'd always show a profile or something and miss 30 seconds of the game.

Another thing, if this is a TFC broadcast how come after every TFC goal they'd show pissed off KC players instead of Toronto players celebrating?

Pre and post game is nice but the in game coverage was completely horrendous.

mlsintoronto
03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
it'll come. the camera work is provided by the home club...kind of like the olympics "host broadcaster". the player profiles in the first half were the last time you'll see that. They stopped by the second half. I thought it was a good start...but we'll improve.

Keep the criticism up...we listen.

rocker
03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
great that they have Carver's comments already before the end of the show

lazlo_80
03-21-2009, 10:01 PM
thanks for the clarification mls, that makes more sense now. it also explains all the KC crowd shots for no real reason in particular.

Redcoe15
03-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I like the pre and post game shows. The play by play guy needs to cut back on the talking. He's from Britain, you'd think he'd know how to do it.

And GET RID OF THE FULL SCREEN SHOTS!!! We almost missed that goal. And shrink the score box as well.

First game ever. I'll cut them some slack. For now.

Kickit09
03-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Is it just me or has GolTV set a new standard in providing match coverage. I'm watching and can't help but think that their doing an outstanding job.

i've had goltv for 2 years now and this was the worst goltv match i've ever seen. it was much better before MLSE took over. the pre and post game stuff is ok but the in-match coverage is terrible. i'm shocked to hear you say they set a new standard and that it was outstanding. cutting away from live play every few min to show full screen bios and replays. we almost missed a goal because of that. then there is the score/time/ads box which is way too big. commentary wasn't too bad though. maybe terrible is too harsh of a word to describe it, but it was no where near outstanding, and to say they set a new standard is a comical. the less games on goltv the better.

loconet
03-21-2009, 10:03 PM
There is still a lot of work to be done but guys look, we actually have a pre and post post game show, An actual interview with the coach!! This is miles ahead of last year where CBC would immediately cut to the Antiques Roadshow.

Nuvinho
03-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Everything was great, pre and post game coverage.....only those player profiles (which you mentioned won't happen again).

Good job!!!!

Kayed
03-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Weeey, they even got a new chick to do the footballers live instead of that ugly one. This one is cuteish

olegunnar
03-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I thought it was pretty good.
The profile thing was infuriating though.
Can't fault them for the camera work...it's a baseball field.

Not great
Better than Foxsports Midwest coverage would have been though.

The Luke guy knows his stuff too. While dumbasses like Dobson would have innacurately identified the long crossfield balls as boot and chase, they're actually a good tactic against 3 in the back...and he pointed that out.

Fushida
03-21-2009, 10:08 PM
i've had goltv for 2 years now and this was the worst goltv match i've ever seen. it was much better before MLSE took over. the pre and post game stuff is ok but the in-match coverage is terrible. i'm shocked to hear you say they set a new standard and that it was outstanding. cutting away from live play every few min to show full screen bios and replays. we almost missed a goal because of that. then there is the score/time/ads box which is way too big. commentary wasn't too bad though. maybe terrible is too harsh of a word to describe it, but it was no where near outstanding, and to say they set a new standard is a comical. the less games on goltv the better.

it'll come. the camera work is provided by the home club...kind of like the olympics "host broadcaster". the player profiles in the first half were the last time you'll see that. They stopped by the second half. I thought it was a good start...but we'll improve.

Answer your question...? I don't think anyone liked almost missing a goal, but its the first game ffs, obviously it looks like they're trying to inform more people about the team. As long as they're changing the production it'll be good... wait for the next few games to see how the coverage changes before saying its the worst thing you've ever seen or whatever.. :noidea:

loconet
03-21-2009, 10:11 PM
and the girl is a cutie! did I say that already? Maybe some shots of her celebrating the goals? lol ... KEEP HER!

torfchamilton
03-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Profiles need to go, the close up shots were too much and took away from the game. The one thing that was dissapointing was the post game show. I really like the way Fox Soccer Channel does it. Interviews from both managers and a player usually from each team and also scores from the rest of the MLS. The in studio stuff sucks pre and post game. More video from today would have been nice rather than all the taped stuff from this week.

BFin
03-21-2009, 10:14 PM
They did a good job having commentators who can call the game, and the coveage was what you could get at a baseball field. From what I heard KC was playing music over the loud speaker to drown out TFC fans...if so good on yous guys.
Great game. Great weekend.
See you in Columbus.

SoccMan
03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
My two cents about the Gol Tv coverage.The major one of course is the constant full screen bios, get rid of it please, not during the game come on. I thought Luke was good and Devos did a good job too. I would like to see some out of town scores expecialy during the pregame and post game so that people watching know what else is going on in the MLS. In order to grow the league here in Canada people need to be made aware of what else is going on in the league, the scores of the other games in progress around the league or of games that have already finished. I would like to see more pregame and post game player and coaches interviews please.

SoccMan
03-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't believe music was being played over the loud speakers in KC tonight, I don't know where that information was recieved from. It is against MLS game day rules to play music during the game. If they did a nice fine will be dealt to KC by the MLS I can asure you on that.

Kickit09
03-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Answer your question...? I don't think anyone liked almost missing a goal, but its the first game ffs, obviously it looks like they're trying to inform more people about the team. As long as they're changing the production it'll be good... wait for the next few games to see how the coverage changes before saying its the worst thing you've ever seen or whatever.. :noidea:

way to put words in my mouth flushida. i said it's the worst match production on goltv ive seen. like i said, i've had goltv for about 2 years now and i watch a lot of matches on goltv. so im just beeing honest about what i think, as someone who pays for the channel...... btw the guevara goal we almost missed was in the SECOND HALF.

The Pope
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
what was with the colour bars?

during the opening theme they had animated colour bars all over the place and then under or beside every on screen graphic

I thought it was weird

but overall good job

ps. A++ for Andi Petrillo

zeelaw
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I thought there during the game coverage like camera-work was brutal...
I'd rather see it on CBC and Sportsnet

superfrankielampard
03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I just wanna hear ray hudson.

"and it's twinkletoes guevara with a bernini sculpture of a finish"
"Carver, braver than a matador in high heels in a pink tutu!"
"ricketts, cheekier than a squirrel on a telephone wire my friend"

...but ya full screen player profiles are annoying as hell.

redcard
03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
the studio for the pre and post game needs updating...i thought too many screens with only goltv on it...since its a TFC post game why not have some red in the backgound...lose the desk make it more informal...and get rid of all those screens...

Blizzard
03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
and the camera work.....when the play is on the far side zoom in ffs.....

That's got nothing to do with Gol. They were taking the home team/MLS produced feed.

rocker
03-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I like the in depth stuff, but the production is pretty bad. Lose the full screen interruptions DURING THE GAME, and some of the cheesy fluff pieces, like the interview with Barrett that looked like an awkward first date, and it'll be the new king for me.

- Scott

i didn't mind the interview because Andi's flirting with Barrett was sooooo sexy! He was a bit shy!

Ron Manager
03-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Overall, very good. Nice to see Paul in here. You always have your finger on the pulse, don't ya!!?? Congrats to all at MLSE for a winning start on and off the field.

billyfly
03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
With no HD it looked kinda looked sub par. Switching to Leaf game you could see the difference in picture quality on the 50" TV.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes, the one thing I don't like is the full screen shots of player profiles during play.

yes that has to go..but other then that...Gol has become the network to watch TFC games...and with a bit more Luck all TFC games will be on this network alone

daner90
03-21-2009, 11:01 PM
ya i have a 42" hd tv and when they would switch to the full field shot it looked just brutal...

favorite moment in the game is when Luke said someting like "The red patch boys are really bringing the noise this game" and the camera pans to the kansas "supporters" hahah

Plenty of Trout
03-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Is GoalTV repeating the game soon?

I have the channel, but missed the live broadcast.

nfitz
03-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Is GoalTV repeating the game soon?

I have the channel, but missed the live broadcast.10 pm on Sunday. 9 pm on Monday.

If it's like last year, it will likely be playing weekly into 2010.

Plenty of Trout
03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
10 pm on Sunday. 9 pm on Monday.

If it's like last year, it will likely be playing weekly into 2010.

Thank you sir!

I will watch it tomorrow night.

Mikey
03-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Im thinking it's just you, unless you watch all your football on the score, in which case yes its sets a new standard for you.

Aside from the camera work which I assume was a feed from a local station, It was disapointing that they had no understanding of the speed and flow of a football game, and tried to use 30 second full page graphics like in an NFL snorefest......

Let's see what happens next week, before I cancel the channel with Rogers and switch to the Fan590.

JohnWalter
03-21-2009, 11:39 PM
me too re: the full screen bios - those were BAD BAD BAD!! We were screaming at the screen...

icecoldbeer
03-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Great for first game but everyone obviously agrees on the profiles...what about shrinking the bar that shows the substitutions? Not that I'm trying to be picky, but it cuts a good part of the shot out...and what about minimal advertisements on the scorebar? I know it pays the bills, but could it pop in and out?

rocker
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
one thing i would prefer is that Wileman and DeVos avoid talking about non-play related issues and commentary until halftime or after the game. It's a common problem of American announcers -- to stop calling the game on the field and start talking about other things. John Harkes was talking about how Seattle fans can fire the GM when Brad Evans scored for Seattle the other day. Tonight there were times when Wileman and DeVos were talking about other issues and then they had to quickly shift gears and start calling the game again cuz something was happening. The best announcers just focus on the game in front of them... if the play stops, ok, you can talk about something else.

Torcida
03-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Things that made me laugh:

Guevara is apparently 5'1''.
Calling Barrett's two missed oppurtunities 1/2 chances.
"Penalty Shot"

What didn't make me laugh:
-Missing the f'n leadup to the goal because of some bio covering the whole screen!

DebenTFC
03-22-2009, 01:03 AM
OH man i hated this. The feed i was getting was awfull voices went funny and the screen went nuts every now and then. Also i HATE DE VOS. HE IS A TOOL. not once was i able to just watch the game with play by play without this meat-head interuppting. he was giving me a headache he wouldnt stop talking. De Vos sais "your not gunna see a goal like this from him for the rest or the season" (when kansas scored) the next goal was exactly the same -shut up De Vos. We get a hand ball and theres a no call (which we got lucky) De Vos -"No way should a call be made on that good on the ref it was ball to hand". Exact same thing happens to kanses we get the call. De Vos -"Great call by the refs you could tell he stretched out his fingers to get that." I cant stand him. Craig Forrest is amazing compared to De Vos

dannyd
03-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, Devos drove me nuts too. What kind of tool calls those half-chances?!! Does he even know what that phrase means? If standing 3 yards in front of the goal with only the keeper to beat isn't a clear chance, what is?

Other than Devos, I enjoyed the production, I especially liked the other commentator. I couldn't believe we got a post-game show, definate bonus, although no other MLS updates/news? I know you want to pimp TFC, but it's nice to know what's shaping up in the rest of the league.

Shakes McQueen
03-22-2009, 06:13 AM

While the player profiles mostly dried up during the second half, there were still a few occasions where some full screen advertisement (ie. one showing TFC's upcoming schedule) came up. I don't mind talking about that kind of stuff during the game, but don't ever take up the entire screen with ANYTHING during play.

The pre-game and post-game stuff was great though.

Production values all around were lacking, but it was the first game, and I imagine TFC isn't quite enough of a profit-maker yet, to justify the full "Leafs TV" style treatment.

Also, I liked Luke and DeVos. Luke talked a little too much, but it was his first time calling a TFC match on live TV, so I can let that go. :D

First on my priority list for the long-term future of this GolTV thing though, would be to get your own camera/production crew at the games, if possible. The feed for this game was pretty terrible, both in terms of the image quality and the way it was shot. Seemed like it was all done with a single camera.

I think CBC is the gold standard in production values for TFC still, as far as how the game is shot and presented.

- Scott

London
03-22-2009, 06:50 AM
goal tv did not work at my house i guess, i was at the bar, but people in my house said the freeview did not come on!!! guess i am ordering it today

TFC John
03-22-2009, 08:14 AM
The best thing about ordering GolTV so I could watch the game is, I can now threaten to cancel it if they don't improve their coverage. I'M THREATENING THAT NOW IN CASE ANYONE IS LISTENING.

I knew the signal was the local team's feed so I don't blame GolTV for the woeful camera work. However, those full screen graphics drove me crazy. That crap belongs in the pre-game, halftime or post game shows. I like Jason De Vos, but last night he seemed to be performing a rectal-cranium insertion. Also, despite all of the assurances on this board and the TFC website, it was nerve-racking that, even on game day, the Bell Expressvu guide did not list the game.

I'll accept this first outing as growing pains. I'm a TFC fan so I'm use to getting less than I hope for. But I'm not a GolTV fan so I have no loyalty to that network. There must be improvement or my dollars will go elsewhere. They have to win me over.

nfitz
03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
According to Gol TV's website, there is a 1-hour pregame show on Saturday - 10:30 am to 11:30 am. Hopefully more than a repeat of their last 2 pregame shows!

Boondaddy
03-31-2009, 04:17 PM
http://myworldtoday.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/andy.jpg

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
According to Gol TV's website, there is a 1-hour pregame show on Saturday - 10:30 am to 11:30 am. Hopefully more than a repeat of their last 2 pregame shows!

Its great that a pregame show is on...with the game on someother network...its great to see TFC getting as much coverage as possible.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
The best thing about ordering GolTV so I could watch the game is, I can now threaten to cancel it if they don't improve their coverage. I'M THREATENING THAT NOW IN CASE ANYONE IS LISTENING.

I knew the signal was the local team's feed so I don't blame GolTV for the woeful camera work. However, those full screen graphics drove me crazy. That crap belongs in the pre-game, halftime or post game shows. I like Jason De Vos, but last night he seemed to be performing a rectal-cranium insertion. Also, despite all of the assurances on this board and the TFC website, it was nerve-racking that, even on game day, the Bell Expressvu guide did not list the game.

I'll accept this first outing as growing pains. I'm a TFC fan so I'm use to getting less than I hope for. But I'm not a GolTV fan so I have no loyalty to that network. There must be improvement or my dollars will go elsewhere. They have to win me over.

they have reduced the graphics a great deal and focus mainly on the game, the pre/post games shows are great...and we get the entire match
which might not be possible saturday on cbc cause they are covering the dreadful Raptors..if the games cover overtime or runs late//TFC will be joined in progress!! damn cbc

nfitz
03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised this one isn't being carried on CBC Bold just in case - as some of the later games are.

jloome
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
OH man i hated this. The feed i was getting was awfull voices went funny and the screen went nuts every now and then. Also i HATE DE VOS. HE IS A TOOL. not once was i able to just watch the game with play by play without this meat-head interuppting. he was giving me a headache he wouldnt stop talking. De Vos sais "your not gunna see a goal like this from him for the rest or the season" (when kansas scored) the next goal was exactly the same -shut up De Vos. We get a hand ball and theres a no call (which we got lucky) De Vos -"No way should a call be made on that good on the ref it was ball to hand". Exact same thing happens to kanses we get the call. De Vos -"Great call by the refs you could tell he stretched out his fingers to get that." I cant stand him. Craig Forrest is amazing compared to De Vos

Yeah, what the fuck does the long-time captain of Ipswich, Dundee United and Wigan know about football? Imagine, asking the best central defender in Canadian history to judge the game.

Next thing you know Luke Wileman, being English, will call it a Penalty Shot, not just a penalty, as was the terminology in England about 20 years ago. Probably still calls them "goalies" and "centre forwards" instead of keepers and strikers!

The bastards.

ManUtd4ever
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, what the fuck does the long-time captain of Ipswich, Dundee United and Wigan know about football? Imagine, asking the best central defender in Canadian history to judge the game.

Next thing you know Luke Wileman, being English, will call it a Penalty Shot, not just a penalty, as was the terminology in England about 20 years ago. Probably still calls them "goalies" and "centre forwards" instead of keepers and strikers!

The bastards.

LOL, I think DeVos and Forrest both do an admirable job plying their trade. I also concur that GolTV is the class of football broadcasting in Canada thus far...