PDA

View Full Version : 2008 vs. 2009 Line-ups

Lucky Strike
03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Not any ordinary formation thread!

At the end of last season, I wrote down the best line-up TFC could field (in my view) if all players were healthy. I wanted to eventually compare the two line-ups in case there was contention as to whether Mo had done enough to improve the squad. Fortunately, it's obvious he did.

2008 (4-1-3-2):

------------Dichio - Barrett
-----Brennan - Guevara - Ricketts
---------------Robinson
Dunivant - Harmse - Marshall - Wynne
----------------Sutton

Bench: Edwards, Attakora, James, Gala, Smith, Rosenlund, Ibrahim.

2009 (4-4-2 diamond):

-------------Vitti - Barrett
--------------De Rosario
---------Guevara - Ricketts
--------------Robinson
Brennan - Harmse - Serioux - Wynne
---------------Sutton

Bench: Frei, Attakora, Gomez, Cronin, Smith, Dichio, Ibrahim.

The 2009 formation takes into account that De Rosario and Guevara need to play in the middle to be effective. And, the pitch at BMO is on the narrow side so it plays to our advantage, at least at home.

We all pretty much agree the team is vastly improved, and we all know we need an extra CB, but if you were Carver, how would you choose your team? Do you agree or disagree and why?

I'm so psyched for the season to start!

P.S. Omitting Velez was not an omission.

FCBarcelona
03-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with yoor thoughts on the "new" line up,

much much betta , can;t wait for the whistle to blow now:)

may need to a few :drinking: between now when the match starts:canada:

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Put Frei in for Sutton...Sutton on extra time that his finger is still hurting so Carver should go with Frei if thats the case~~

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Put Frei in for Sutton...Sutton on extra time that his finger is still hurting so Carver should go with Frei if thats the case~~

WHAT NO efff frei he is a rookie ffs not in the opening game , edwards ..... has to be starting....

akoto
03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I agree with what you have (with the exception of Sutton as per mighty's post) and I think it's a much improved line up over last year but does it not scare the shit out of anyone else that harmse is our starting CB? And with Serioux injured and only "probable" for tonight we might be in for a long night. I hope I'm wrong. Could you imagine Harmse and Velez as our starting two CBs?

pekduck
03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
WHAT NO efff frei he is a rookie ffs not in the opening game , edwards ..... has to be starting....

Frei is up to the tasks, he was stellar in Charleston with Battery and RSL

colman1860
03-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Frei is up to the tasks, he was stellar in Charleston with Battery and RSL

Whereas Edwards didn't get a sniff during preseason. Frei will and should start, IMO.

http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/season-preview-goalkeeping.html

Lucky Strike
03-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with what you have (with the exception of Sutton as per mighty's post) and I think it's a much improved line up over last year but does it not scare the shit out of anyone else that harmse is our starting CB? And with Serioux injured and only "probable" for tonight we might be in for a long night. I hope I'm wrong. Could you imagine Harmse and Velez as our starting two CBs?

True, this exercise assumes everyone is healthy.