PDA

View Full Version : Laurent Robert

ensco
05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
He looks mad at, or upset with, his teammates, most of the time.

When he scored that great goal against RSL, he didn't run to the supporters.

If you see him outside the field, he seems distant and unapproachable.

He doesn't have much speed.

He isn't much for marking other players, and a lot of people think he's floating out there.

All he seems to be able to do is find space, take world-class free kicks, and make perfect pass after perfect pass. Oh I forgot, he's almost impossible to dispossess, even under intense pressure his ball will be delivered in the right place to a teammate. Another thing, he creates turnovers by seemingly appearing out of nowhere to intercept balls.

What a stiff.

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 07:01 AM

He isn't much for marking other players, and a lot of people think he's floating out there.

All he seems to be able to do is find space, take world-class free kicks, and make perfect pass after perfect pass. Oh I forgot, he's almost impossible to dispossess, even under intense pressure his ball will be delivered in the right place to a teammate. Another thing, he creates turnovers by seemingly appearing out of nowhere to intercept balls.

What a stiff.

Sounds like some good qualities to me! A little like Beckham in both pros and cons (NO I'm not saying he has Becks' skill, just shares similar attributes). As far as being upset goes, last night he looked upset more at the refs...you could see it looked like he was clearly fouled at some points, but no call.......and besides how happy would you be if Cunningham fucked up service after service all game from you?!?!

ensco
05-28-2008, 07:04 AM
He's been very frustrated with Guevara and Edu in previous games.

I think Laurent thinks Guevara is taking too many of the free kicks where they're both over the ball.

The Upsetter
05-28-2008, 07:23 AM
He's definitely a write off when there's any rain out there. Completely invisible last Wednesday...shades of his EPL days.

rocker
05-28-2008, 07:25 AM
He's been very frustrated with Guevara and Edu in previous games.

I think Laurent thinks Guevara is taking too many of the free kicks where they're both over the ball.

see his frustration with Cunny yesterday... I counted about 5 times when he was thinking ahead smartly and made a pass and Cunny had no fricken clue what he was tryin to do and the play died. The guy he works well with is Brennan, who understands Robert. Robert has too much class for some of the players on this team.

Carts
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Robert was excellent... Did exactly what he was supposed to do...

Is he frustrated with teammates...??? Maybe - but every persons body language is different... Sometimes when someone 'looks pissed at his teammate' they're just pissed the play didn't work...

Robert has been first class since coming over - I really think were digging for something to complain about when complaining about Robert right now...

Carts...

koryo
05-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Robert has too much class for some of the players on this team.

Bingo.

SilverSamurai
05-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Not every player is going to run over to the supporters after a goal (would be nice though)
Besides, he looked happy after the goal to Velez last night. Velez was subdued but only because I think it was an away game, otherwise dude would be going nuts. lol

koryo
05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Robert is challenging the team to stand up and be counted.

Eastend
05-28-2008, 07:53 AM
see his frustration with Cunny yesterday... I counted about 5 times when he was thinking ahead smartly and made a pass and Cunny had no fricken clue what he was tryin to do and the play died. The guy he works well with is Brennan, who understands Robert. Robert has too much class for some of the players on this team.

Only 5 times? Cunningham seems lost and uninterested out there. He can run, but not run, dribble, and shoot all in the same go. I understand why Carver has not played him more. His days have to be numbered 'cause he was aweful last night.

Nuvinho
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I doubt he will be here next year. He is probably playing for a contract in Europe. His contract is non-guaranteed right?

SilverSamurai
05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I doubt he will be here next year. He is probably playing for a contract in Europe. His contract is non-guaranteed right?

I think you're right about the contract.
I do hope he's here though. Although if we do get a new striker (DP) it could help to change things...

deeznutz
05-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I have to agree that he is mad...But I think he is mad because he knows that team can do much much much better!!! He had some very fast and sweet moves and blew by a few players in last nights game! His set peice cross for the goal was (in the voice of the "Special one") fantastic.It dont matter how many you put in the back of the net aslong as your seen as a threat on the pitch which will give other players on the team more room to move around since extra eyes will be on one more player! The best is yet to come for the team!

rocker
05-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Only 5 times? Cunningham seems lost and uninterested out there. He can run, but not run, dribble, and shoot all in the same go. I understand why Carver has not played him more. His days have to be numbered 'cause he was aweful last night.

I think there were about 5 times that him and Robert were not on the same page (and the fault was Cunny not Robert)... Cunny then went on to have a bunch of his own personal fuckups (what was with that pass to Dichio when Dichio was tracking back with the defender on him??? That's a pass that will rarely be successful ), and other TFC players couldn't get anything going with him either!

Heathen
05-28-2008, 08:37 AM
... he seems distant and unapproachable...

he's French

nimamalek
05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
If i set up cunningham several times and he blew it every time i'd be upset too. I think as a setup man he's used to playing with strikers with better finishing skill and he's starting to get frustrated with the level of finishing in this league

denime
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
From today's Globe and mail article:

Despite the victory, Robert was not very impressed with his side's showing.
"That was not the real Toronto FC," Robert said. "I've been here two months and I haven't seen us play that badly."

No wonder he is frustrated most of the team played like shit,Cunny was the worst player on the pitch .Carver is right of keeping him on the bench.
Robert was pushing it in second half like crazy ,but no one looked interested in scoring one more goal and secure the victory.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM

What a stiff.

i think you are looing too deep into his one... when you score a freekick most of the time players don;t run to the corner and celebrate, they celebrated in the midle of the field with the players... players celebrate with the fan usually on goals from play....

SLBuu
05-28-2008, 08:57 AM
cunny was just horrible last night......... I honestly think he done at TFC. he showed some promise earlier in the year but now just seems uninterested when playing. Hopefully we can get that DP.

Limani_Ole
05-28-2008, 09:16 AM
definitely frustrated..

"That was not the real Toronto FC," Robert said. "I've been here two months and I haven't seen us play that badly."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/05/27/champions-tor-mtl.html

with who? maybe everyone..

the coach needs to address the poor play of Toronto..

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Cunningham can't make a run to anticipate a pass if his life depended on it. Of course, if he could, he'd probably be playing somewhere in Europe, considering his deadly pace. Then again, he can't finish either, so that doesn't help. If he was any good at finishing, imagine what his jersey number would be!!

TorontoBlades
05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
5 times is how may times i saw cunny with his hands on his waist

Derko
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Agree with the above comments. May I add:

Don't forget that Laurent Robert seems to work very well with Marco Velez, setup both of Velez's goals so far.
I am getting frustrated with Cunningham's lack of real effort and Edu is just doing enough to be on the first team, the man cannot for the life of me seem to strike the ball. Does anyone else see these 2 not playing to potential, or are there excuses not to bring it up.
You have to be objective when you are critical, not just knee-jerk, which seems to be rapant on this message board.

Heathen
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
as I said in the game thread Cunny isn't interested unless he has the ball

tfcleeds
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Pleeeeaaaaasssseeeeee get rid of Cunningham. Last night was certainly the worst performance I've seen by him, and he hasn't exactly had many stellar performances for us. I don't care who we bring in, Huckerby, Ameobi, whoever - we need somebody and soon. Heck, I'd rather have Lombardo in there right now than Cuntingham.

SilverSamurai
05-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Pleeeeaaaaasssseeeeee get rid of Cunningham. Last night was certainly the worst performance I've seen by him, and he hasn't exactly had many stellar performances for us. I don't care who we bring in, Huckerby, Ameobi, whoever - we need somebody and soon. Heck, I'd rather have Lombardo in there right now than Cuntingham.

Agreed.
Atleast Lombardo runs his @$$ off and tries. That's 1 thing everyone can agree on.

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 10:23 AM

so true....the man (Lombardo) is 20 years old....after Cunny's "performance" last night, he should without a doubt be moved to third on the depth chart or moved out all together and Lombardo moved up, if he really is in TFC's future.

rocker
05-28-2008, 10:28 AM
as I said in the game thread Cunny isn't interested unless he has the ball

and when he has the ball, he mostly has blinders on.... the only real passes he makes are backwards.
usually he gets the ball and wants to beat every defender in a straight line to goal. cuz he's fast, sometimes it works, but then he can't finish when he gets golden opportunities.

jabbronies
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Robert does have reason to be pissed at times...I've seen him run the ball in, make a great pass only to have someone fuck up the finish...can be frustrating when it happens numerous times.

ensco
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic. He's taken some criticism (mostly for being "lazy") because of his playing and personal style.

I think Robert is the best, and most important, player on the team.

Bombonera
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree with ENSCO. Robert has the most class on the team. Without his play we lose last night's game...and probably should have.

Unofrtunately he does have a temper, and feeding a CUNNY ball after playable ball, giving the man chance after chance, has to be frustrating for a guy trying to work himself out of a huge professional hole that has seen him go from multi million pound transfer to non guaranteed contract with the TFC.

BeachRed
05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Agree with the above comments. May I add:

Don't forget that Laurent Robert seems to work very well with Marco Velez, setup both of Velez's goals so far.

And what about the one last night when the ref, "wasn't ready." I didn't see it, but Velez put it in the net, were Montreal trying to defend it, or were they really not ready?

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 11:01 AM
And what about the one last night when the ref, "wasn't ready." I didn't see it, but Velez put it in the net, were Montreal trying to defend it, or were they really not ready?

I think the retake was put in by Cunningham, not Velez the first time. In that case, it would be explained.....the ref simply didn't want Cunningham's name on the scoresheet, because he fucking sucks.

Nomad
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
he's French

Yes...and no. He's from Reunion, an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Africa.

I find it kind of funny everyone's all up in arms in the Columbus thread about racism and scousers but comments like these get a pass.

Just sayin'.

Corpand
05-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I liked the smile he shared with Dichio yesterday when they almost scored. Kind of like saying, "Damn dude, that was close ;)"

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes...and no. He's from Reunion, an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Africa.

I find it kind of funny everyone's all up in arms in the Columbus thread about racism and scousers but comments like these get a pass.

Just sayin'.

Kinda different.....saying hes snobby because he's french is just fitting into a stereotype, but if anybody comes on this thread and starts to call him a fucking frog, I don't think it will be tolerated here.**

**I didn't call him that....just saying for demonstrational purposes.

jloome
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I thought that was pretty clear from the second-to-last graph.

I've known some guys from French islands in the past -- mauritius, guadeloupe etc. they always have that slightly arrogant thing going on, and they definitely wear their emotions out in the open.

But good on him. When he was benched at Newcastle for dressing down souness -- followed shortly thereafter by all of his teammates -- he wasn't wrong, just tactless and loud. He also has a history of drifting out of the game if he's upset, so this needs to be addressed.

For one, our work ethic as a team hasn't been evident i the last two games. They look like they're swaggering and overconfident. I mean, look at who is in TFC's day to day starting lineup, then compare them with the rest of this league, and it's easy to see why they're probably thinking we're a step above most of MLS right now.

But that's the one thing in this league that will kill you: for all the paucity of talent at the MLS and USL levels, no one works harder.

joel
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
If I was robert, I'd be pissed too. He delivered too many perfect passes that result in either no shot, or the weakest kicks I've ever seen from a 'striker'.

I think he was mad specifically a cunnigham, at least dichio wouldn't lose the ball, and usually robert or someone would get the ball back.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I would like to see our Reds' play more of a possession and side-to-side style of game. knock the ball around a bit more, stretch it out nice and wide, hold on to it and look for the "kill tactic" that Carver is trying to deploy. I think our first half against Real Salt Lake reflected what we should be aiming for.

J .
05-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I like Robert, he demands excellence from himself, his teammates and the refs. I wish we had a chant we would get going for him.

Heathen
05-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Just sayin'.

ffs it was a joke

ilikemusic
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Trading for Cunningham has probably been Mo's biggest mistake.

Useless and an asshole.

Nomad
05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
ffs it was a joke

I don't get offended by such matters....merely pointing out hypocrisy.

Just sayin'.

jabbronies
05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Trading for Cunningham has probably been Mo's biggest mistake.

Useless and an asshole.

I thought Andy Welsh was his biggest mistake....and Adam braz...and marco Reda....and..

Nomad
05-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I thought Andy Welsh was his biggest mistake....and Adam braz...and marco Reda....and..

He made up for it...and then some, in one signing......John Carver.

ilikemusic
05-28-2008, 02:21 PM

Well seeing as you are responding to me I dont think it is fair for you to attribute the entirety of this boards moaning to me personally.

Nevermind the fact that I never said any of those things; is it still a mistake once youve corrected the problem? MO never gave up a starter to acquire any of those three; and none of them are still here anyway.

:noidea:

gtaguy
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
I think that any person who has played footy Knows what its like to kill yourself to setup a perfect pass. Its frustrating go give someone a perfect feed then they show no drive to fight for the ball or just plain give up on the play, would understand how Robert feels..
This guy has passion and indeed does make spectacular runs and passes, the only problem is that 90 % of the time these go in vain ...
I would like to see the laser come off Roberts foot without it being a set piece..
I think this just continues to prove that we NEED A STRIKER !!!!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Seriously Cunny is SHITE!

Big Bruva
05-28-2008, 03:20 PM

What a stiff.

:) Thats Laurent mate lol Laurent is very layed back on and off the pitch and is kind of a cool kinda character when off the pitch when you talk to him.

He is funny when you get to know him but VERY layed back

ensco
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
BB are you going to the dinner tonight?

Big Bruva
05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
BB are you going to the dinner tonight?

I forgot that it was tonight till RR came to my work at lunch and said he had to go buy shoes for tonight and reminded me.

Unless i can get a last minute ticket or pay at the door then no, but we will see.

ensco
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I forgot that it was tonight till RR came to my work at lunch and said he had to go buy shoes for tonight and reminded me.

Unless i can get a last minute ticket or pay at the door then no, but we will see.

They will let you pay at the door, according to my rep

Rawkus_420
05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Not every player is going to run over to the supporters after a goal (would be nice though)
Besides, he looked happy after the goal to Velez last night. Velez was subdued but only because I think it was an away game, otherwise dude would be going nuts. lol

Yah I could see him smiling on the jumbotron replay at Saputo. He gets dissapointed when his plays dont work out, because Im sure he knows when he gives a good pass or a bad pass; and in the past Im sure those good passes were received by ppl who could do something with it 90% of the time....That has now dropped quite a bit, mind you he still has several assists, and he does work great with brennan. I'm sure somebody with his experience had to expect this when making the move to the MLS.

RealG-TFC
05-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Réunion is a French Overseas department. They are as much a part of France as Normandie is. the use Euros and all. Smae with St. Pierre et Miquelon.

Draracle
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Robert needs a creative striker, someone who can use his ability to place the ball. Hopefully, come the June window, we will get such a striker.

Nomad
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Réunion is a French Overseas department. They are as much a part of France as Normandie is. the use Euros and all. Smae with St. Pierre et Miquelon.

They are as much a part of France as Guam is to the United States....

noochie
05-28-2008, 11:52 PM
And here I thought there wasn't enough time between games to pick a "who should be fired this week" player/staff member.

VPjr
05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Laurent is your prototypical tempermental footballer. He might not be warm and cuddly but he's a quality player.

last night, he was the best player on the park for either team by a wide margin. He must have found the performance put in by many of his teammates to be incredibly frustrating, especially Cunningham.

If Cunny never plays another minute for TFC, it will be the smartest thing Carver does this season. His effort last night was repulsive and with each repulsize performance, it makes it harder and harder to trade him for anything more than a few uninflated size 4 soccer balls.

We need a striker. I love DD but we need a striker.

We'll miss Laurent Robert on Saturday vs. the Galaxy, that's for sure.

Daveisonfire
05-29-2008, 04:43 AM
I like Robert, he demands excellence from himself, his teammates and the refs. I wish we had a chant we would get going for him.

Laurent Robert
Laurent Robert
Sacre bleu!
Sacre bleu!
What a fucking left foot
What a fucking left foot
Aimed at you!
Aimed at you!

BC101
05-29-2008, 04:44 AM
3dwVt8fP5No

Daveisonfire
05-29-2008, 04:47 AM
3dwVt8fP5No

Done and Done:cool:

SilverSamurai
05-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Yah I could see him smiling on the jumbotron replay at Saputo. He gets dissapointed when his plays dont work out, because Im sure he knows when he gives a good pass or a bad pass; and in the past Im sure those good passes were received by ppl who could do something with it 90% of the time....That has now dropped quite a bit, mind you he still has several assists, and he does work great with brennan. I'm sure somebody with his experience had to expect this when making the move to the MLS.

He sounds like a perfectionist, which is both good and bad.
So Robert is African then? Nice! We got out an African player. :D

Derko
05-29-2008, 09:46 AM
He sounds like a perfectionist, which is both good and bad.
So Robert is African then? Nice! We got out an African player. :D

2, Tebily is from Cote d'ivoire (Ivory Coast)

Dredg_XI
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Laurent Robert
Laurent Robert
Sacre bleu!
Sacre bleu!
What a fucking left foot
What a fucking left foot
Aimed at you!
Aimed at you!

Lame.

Fits right in with most of the other chants. Do it...

Bobo
05-29-2008, 02:50 PM

What a stiff.

Was Tuesday the first game you watched this season?:p

Brooker
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Robert is amazing. not much else to say other than that. i love him.

the end. :D

all he needs is a decent chant. that's the most important thing.

colman1860
05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I believe enscos opening post in this thread was much more sarcastic than anything. No need to try to prove him wrong, hes on your side.