PDA

View Full Version : McCown: Interview with Eugene Melnyk

Shakes McQueen
03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
If you're quick, Bob McCown is about to talk to Eugene Melnyk about his (apparently failed) bid to get Ottawa into MLS.

It's on The Fan 590, and Rogers Sportsnet.

- Scott

NF-FC
03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
If you're quick, Bob McCown is about to talk to Eugene Melnyk about his (apparently failed) bid to get Ottawa into MLS.

It's on The Fan 590, and Rogers Sportsnet.

- Scott

i tuned in and got commercials. I assume he's up after the break?

RicoSuave44
03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
is it over? 6:02 now it couldn't have beeen over in 6 mins

billyfly
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I assume its after the 6er News Break

RicoSuave44
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Portland to announce their team tomorrow? Did I hear that right?

billyfly
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
its on now

billyfly
03-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Its Portland for sure. You can tell by Melnyk's word choice.

RicoSuave44
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep. Good to know that both announcements have been made before our season starts. Now we can focus entirely on TFC again

rocker
03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
here's my quick paraphrase (happened to have a free moment + notepad open):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

McClown: thoughts on portland getting in?

Melnyk: says Portland not announced yet, not getting ahead of himself; he'll accept 2011 or 2013 or whatever; if it takes longer, that's OK since it gives more breathing room to plan

McClown: if given go ahead right now what would you have done?

Melnyk: commish Garber understands timeframe with respect to ottawa government decision-making process; can't control gov process; no alternative place for MLS team to play anyways; Ottawa needs a major stadium, the question is where to do it, Landsdowne or Kanata, Cfl/Mls combined stadium perhaps? we're a part of that solution." Admits gov situation moving along quickly.

Brunt: asked about whether not getting a franchise right now hurts because CFL has already offered franchise to Ottawa -- does that put CFL group ahead?

Melnyk: commissioner Garber said that if Ottawa builds it, they will get a team; Melnyk believes that's a pretty good confirmation; thinks they would have got team for 2011 if stadium had been approved already; not sure if MLS would have given two canadian teams though; happy with getting in for 2013 if possible; everything's ready to go if they get stadium approval, they can do it right.

MClown: any scenario that CFL/MLS could come together on the stadium?

Melnyk: yes, it can happen; the key is having anchor tenant that's gonna be there first (soccer); soccer is going up and up, succeeds in TO and other cities; soccer is sport of the world; gotta set up stadium + corporate sponsorships; you need all kinds of things to fill stadium, including potentially CFL; but doesn't want stadium to be focused on CFL as first anchor tenant; his group very experienced, they'll then look at expanding into other sports/events

McClown: brings up Leafs and Raps coming together for Air Canada Centre in 1990s despite previous differences; thinks this should happen with CFL/MLS rather than have gov choose one or other

Melnyk: you need one single entity running the place, one owner to make it a success; the other becomes a tenant; corporate sponsorships need to come to one group, not two; two groups working together creates too many issues: who owns naming rights? who owns food and beverage rights? too complicated with two groups

Brunt: if one is willing to spend 35 million for the cost of franchise, you must control all the revenue to make it work, right?

Melnyk: yes, 300-400 people to run sports franchise -- need to keep ownership simple; CFL has failed in the past in Ottawa and has fewer dates; soccer has double the dates; CFL only works if brought in later as extra dates, like adding concerts, festivals.

Brunt: CFL guys can't be partner in stadium, since their stadium plan is based on being part of real estate development

Melnyk: says he doesn't know what their proposal is, as it's not public yet. MLS successful because of synergies; he has database of a million Senators fans and can cross promote; this is sensible way of doing it.

McClown: says Melnyk is perfect guy to own CFL team. If he got a soccer team, would he buy CFL team if current group gave up?

Melnyk: in 3-4 years would look at it.. there's a cost associated with it. would have to make alterations and design for it. Implies that he wonders about the CFL stability if NFL comes to Toronto and is successful there. "The answer to your question is YEs. but you gotta look at it 3-4 years from now."

----------------

McClown was very respectful in this interview. I think it's because he and Melnyk are buddies.

jabbronies
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
McClown fucking pushes that CFL bullshit like there's no tomorrow.

He starts a segment saying that in the past Melnyk has stated he has no plans in owning a CFL team, BUT then asks Melnyk if he did get his MLS team, would he consider a CFL team?

Why the Fuck would he want a team he's already said he has no interest in, in a league that hasn't been successful in the city trying to be pushed on him...

billyfly
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Ottawa is too small to have 2 teams in two buildings or 2 teams in 1 building if 1 org does not control the majority of the revenue streams.

Melnyk believes in the future of soccer over the past experiences of the CFL in Ottawa.

He also mentioned he thinks there is no parking at Lansdowne (??)

rocker
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
ya he said something about the parking situation is shit at Lansdowne. i think he means getting in and out. Which is apparently true... check it out on Google Maps -- it's located basically in a residential area with few ways out.

the city of Ottawa actually identified a better location that's a few minutes west of the parliament area (not Lebreton flats, but another location) and that looks best to me. right off transit, close to downtown, right on the river.

reggie
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
McClown is so in the sack with those bush league argo owners.
hence the cfl love from bobo....

Brooker
03-19-2009, 05:58 PM
thanks for that summary, rocker.

Redcoe15
03-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Although, to be fair, McClown had stated earlier he had no preference between either the CFL or MLS entering Ottawa.

rocker
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Melnyk makes great points though about the business side. He can't be a partner with the CFL, as that's too confusing financially. Soccer is a much better anchor tenant since it has more games per season and it's a growing sport (nobody can say the CFL will ever ever become what soccer can become -- potential of soccer is much higher).
But he could see the CFL as a tenant, either his ownership or the other group, but only as a tenant... an added element like concerts and festivals etc. He doesn't seem to think that the CFL itself is worth buying into, and that would seem to be true, since the other group is doing a massive residential/commercial development and the stadium is just a part of that. He also has the synergies with his NHL team, and the other group doesn't have that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-19-2009, 06:25 PM

someone has to love the cfl let McCowen be:D that idiot!!

tfc007
03-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I cant stand Bob McCowen,he is such a fucken IDIOT and a poor excuse for a brodcaster.

zamperina
03-20-2009, 07:47 AM
A rich idiot I might add. This guy pulls in 1.4 million a year!

He just bought Doug Gilmour's old mansion for 4.2 million.

Flipityflu
03-20-2009, 08:21 AM
i've listened to him alot over the last year, and its funny how he gets it right about so many things, yet is completely wrong about footy.

Eastend
03-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Although I don't really care for him I think he knows what he's doing and doesn't really hate football as much as he tries to say he does. Every arguement needs 2 sides and I think he's picking the side that will bring the most controversy....which is obviously working.

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Although I don't really care for him I think he knows what he's doing and doesn't really hate football as much as he tries to say he does. Every arguement needs 2 sides and I think he's picking the side that will bring the most controversy....which is obviously working.

I think his anti-football tirades are just meant to be funny, which they usually are.

His quote from yesterday was gold:

"Much to my chagrin, it appears MLS is expanding again." :D

Stephen Brunt was laughing pretty hard when McCown said it.

I don't think he's a big fan of football, but he just plays up his anti-football rhetoric, because it's amusing to him.

- Scott