PDA

View Full Version : Velez

Denis
05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
At the start of the season I used a few strong words about his 'performances'. However lately he seems to have come on quite a distance, got us a crucial goal in a tough match there. People can go on about us being MLS and them being USL, but every time I've seen them they've looked useful. Plus, first Canadian derby win! :canada:

Back to my point. Keep up the good work, Marco!

Humble Pie Red :o

stretchthetruth
05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
I love Velez's passion for the game, and for the fans at BMO - every time he comes out of the tunnel he looks like a kid at xmas... he loves it, and i love him for it...

Laurignano
05-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I am happy for him. Good on Carver never giving up on him.

Torcida
05-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Robert FK- Velez Header = 2 goals so far.

He's come a long long way.

Daveisonfire
05-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Marco....!

Benficachop20
05-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Velez!

Cambridge_Red
05-28-2008, 03:27 AM
So glad I kept my faith in this guy.. he was solid in the pre-season, had a couple hiccups to start the season, but has settled down to be ...Our best defender??

pepher
05-28-2008, 05:00 AM
don't know much about him but can say he looked GENUINELY excited when he scored... well done bud!

jimiv
05-28-2008, 05:42 AM
I too will be eating a large plate of Crow on this one...

MARCO...

trane
05-28-2008, 05:44 AM
Velez has been very solid at the back, after the first two games. The two goals are just a bonus.

Razcle
05-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Who exactly is Carlos Valez??? I wouldn't expect Nigel to screw up his name unless there was an actual Carlos Valez that played soccer at some point in history:noidea:

rocker
05-28-2008, 07:27 AM
so Velez had the first ever goal at Saputo stadium! :)

goes down in the history books.....

ACSertL
05-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Who exactly is Carlos Valez??? I wouldn't expect Nigel to screw up his name unless there was an actual Carlos Valez that played soccer at some point in history:noidea:

I heard that too...maybe Mr. Reed had a little Man United on the brain :)

stugautz
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
He gets better every game which is a combination of the player and the coaching. I don't think ANYBODY here thought they would have good things to say after the season opener in Columbus

ensco
05-28-2008, 07:31 AM
...maybe Mr. Reed had a little Man United on the brain :)

He had something on the brain...anyone else think he sounded like he was on drugs last night?

Carts
05-28-2008, 07:34 AM
I heard that too...maybe Mr. Reed had a little Man United on the brain :)

One thing about Nigel Reed that I really, really like - is when he makes an error and realizes it, he points it out...

He'll drop a "...that was Brennan not Smith, I beg your pardon..."

That shows alot of confidence as an announcer, especially a play-by-play man... Often, far too often, play-by-play announcers just ignore their own mistakes 'hoping nobody will notice' which we all know, someone notices everytime...

Carts...

PS: The Velez goal was a beauty, and he has been playing excellent lately... His header on Robert's perfect free-kick was an excellent sign of what Velez can bring in the box - especially when Dichio is not there...

Carts
05-28-2008, 07:37 AM
He had something on the brain...anyone else think he sounded like he was on drugs last night?

By the look of the setup (SRC Camera & Feed, the bad blue screen when Nigel and Jason were on camera) I think Nigel might have been calling the game from Toronto on a monitor...

Add to that SRC uses a 16x9 ratio and we all wacthed in 4x3, there was a lot of things 'off frame'...

It's impossible to call a game well under those circumstances...

Carts...

Oldtimer
05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
I too will be eating a large plate of Crow on this one...

MARCO...

VELEZ!

Me too (and gladly). Will follow it up with a big slice of humble pie.

I think this solidifies in my mind that Carver is a very good coach. He sees things that many of us don't.

SilverSamurai
05-28-2008, 08:11 AM
By the look of the setup (SRC Camera & Feed, the bad blue screen when Nigel and Jason were on camera) I think Nigel might have been calling the game from Toronto on a monitor...

Add to that SRC uses a 16x9 ratio and we all wacthed in 4x3, there was a lot of things 'off frame'...

It's impossible to call a game well under those circumstances...

Carts...

Blue screen? CBC can't afford that! They can't even afford to do a TFC match in HD! heretic! ;)

nimamalek
05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
i was rather hard on him as well, but aside from the one scare he gives us a game he's been one of our better players

TFC Cityboy
05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Dead happy that he came thru his wobbly start. Any player who kisses his badge, salutes the supporters and waves his arms up and down to get us singing is A-OK in my books.
Keep it up , Marco!

Pearce321
05-28-2008, 10:27 AM
How does Velez have 2 goals and people like Wynne and Edu don't!
Great job by Velez!

Bombonera
05-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Marco!

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Velez!

jloome
05-28-2008, 11:03 AM
He's been very solid. There's still the odd moment where he's caught out of position but sometimes that's more of a chain reaction thing form Wynne not tracking back.

The bigger issue is what to do now with the backline, as there's no way Tebily should be sitting. No way.

akoto
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
He's been very solid. There's still the odd moment where he's caught out of position but sometimes that's more of a chain reaction thing form Wynne not tracking back.

The bigger issue is what to do now with the backline, as there's no way Tebily should be sitting. No way.

Tough call. You're right Tebily's play was fantastic and deserving of a starting spot. It will hard for Carver. Bench Marshall maybe?

Blixa
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
He's been a pleasant surprise. By far the most improved player of the bunch.

ohmar21
05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
I dont think you can sit any of them. Marshall and Velez have played very well together, and you would never want to have someone lose their job because of being hurt. Also I understand that Olivier played well but it was against USL. He will have his chance to prove himself because of the international duties, for know he is a bench player.

Limani_Ole
05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
who would have guessed we would have this problem.. Carver has a tough decision to make..

bee dubya
05-28-2008, 01:06 PM
It's great to see Velez on the scoresheet but he still has one or two moments a game where he gives me a heart attack. He was very lucky that the ref didn't award a Montreal penalty early in the first half when he shoved the striker down in the box. Velez's overall game has improved dramatically but he needs to keep improving in his defensive positioning.

I had to catch the CBC repeat at midnight and on CBC HD, they showed the game in 16x9.

J .
05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I think Velez has played quite well for us and deserves to start. Very happy we have three guys capable of starting on the back line. Velez will likely fill in for Wynne when he goes with Marshall and Tebily in the middle. Velez loves it here and I think he deserves to be in the starting eleven for sure.

JDV and Nigel were at Montreal.

ohmar21
05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I dont think those scares have come lately, he has been almost perfect for the last couple of games against good offensive teams.

bee dubya
05-28-2008, 01:35 PM
^ really? You weren't nervous all last night watching him try to defend against the speedy Montreal attack? Granted in the end we didn't concede a goal but Montreal had some pretty good chances out there and if the ref wanted to, he could have awarded Montreal a penalty kick.

Like I said, the guy has improved quite a bit but I still get nervous when I see him out there one on one against a striker.

Doesn't Tebily also play RB? I thought that was part of the reason he was brought in (as cover for Wynne)

gtaguy
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
velez is indeed one of this years surprises thus far.. He is getting stronger with every game he is playing and just needs to watch out when he and wynne have already lost positioning to not resort to pushing players...

He deserves to be mentioned as the most improved player for TFC so far..

ohmar21
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I have not seen him beat one on one since the Donovan Play. I did not see yesterday's play, but from what I read he was not beat one on one. He has marked some pretty good guys and left them scoreless. Just as I thought that the team defence was a team issue at the begining of the year, now that it is going good it is also a team acomplishment, from the midfielders to the defenders, and Marco together with everybody else has made the adjustment.

iansmcl
05-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm quite glad Velez is getting the recognition he deserves. After the first few games I was worried that he was going to get the same rap as Lombardo has gotten on this board. The guys who sit in front of me were giving me the gears when I cheered for Velez through the first few games right up until that goal at BMO. Now everyone loves the guy... hehehe...

PS Was I dreaming or did Velez send up a great ball from inside his own half to near the opposing 18 yard box?

jloome
05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I dont think you can sit any of them. Marshall and Velez have played very well together, and you would never want to have someone lose their job because of being hurt. Also I understand that Olivier played well but it was against USL. He will have his chance to prove himself because of the international duties, for know he is a bench player.

Only by circumstance. You don't get your contract renewed twice at Birmingham City by being a guy who only shines against USL level teams; for all the 'bombscare' jokes over his own blunders in the past, that did not look to me like a man who lacks focus. It looked like a guy who wants to rip the entire of English football a new one and prove them wrong.

To me, Velez -- as much as he has been improved -- still makes quite poor positioning and marking decisions from time to time. Marshall has been positionally and technically brilliant, but is getting quite slow. Whereas Tebily, if he keeps his head in it, shouldn't suffer from any of those issues.

To me, you platoon. But Carver has said he won't do that, so I've gotta go with the two most consistent guys, which -- and I say this bearing in mind that we've only seen him recently in the Montreal game -- are probably going to be Marshall and Tebily.

I should also say, though, that maybe Velez being called up and Marshall injured is a blessing in disguise; Julius James was bar none our best defender in pre-season, according to several of the writers who were down there. I believe Millson from the Globe mentioned it in on his blog.

So maybe our two starts, recent results notwithstanding, should be James andTebily. I guess we'll get some idea on Saturday.

RYANTFC
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
MARCO!

tfc_4_ever
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Marco has improved so much. He defiantly is a very passionate player. Just got to love it.

tfc_4_ever
05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Velez!!!!!!!

RYANTFC
05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Velez!!!!!!!

thank you

Kooper
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Valez has the passion, the dedication and the heart. He can be taught skill and he has been learning. He is twice the player from the beginning of the season.

trane
05-28-2008, 07:16 PM
How does Velez have 2 goals and people like Wynne and Edu don't!
Great job by Velez!

It is not unusual for CB to score goals like Velez has from set pieces. Their size and strengh makes them great targets.

J .
05-29-2008, 03:38 AM
Difference between Velez and Lombardo is that Velez has gotten better as games went on. Right now we all have as many goals as Lombardo has.

SilverSamurai
05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Right now we all have as many goals as Lombardo has.

Did you score against Aston Villa? :rolleyes::p

I'd rather see Lombardo play over Cunny. Atleast Lombardo doesn't play with his hands on his hips.:taz:

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 06:55 AM
It was great to see him win over an old rival in the USL...