PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

Nuvinho
05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Not going to rate every player, just who was excellent, who was good, and who can sit on the bench

Excellent Performance

Greg Sutton - Good saves when he needed too, didn't spill any rebounds

Oliver Tebily - Probably the best player tonight. Made great decisions, never let the play get behind him, cut out any attack.

Good Performance

Marco Velez - Defensively played well, and very nice goal

Rohan Ricketts - Used his pace, nice crosses in the box NOT finished by Cunny numerous times. Almost scored.

Take a seat on the bench

Jeff Cunningham - too many missed opportunities. Was set up numerous times, and as a striker has to finish them

Kevin Harmse - bad passes, bad tackles, normal Harmse play

Fiin
05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Excellent Performance

Oliver Tebily - Probably the best player tonight. Made great decisions, never let the play get behind him, cut out any attack.

Good Performance

Jimmy B - need more of that sort of play in MLS games.. we have the defense to do it..

Laurent Robert - started slow but by mid game was looking very solid

Rohan Ricketts - Used his pace, nice crosses in the box NOT finished by Cunny numerous times. Almost scored.

Take a seat on the bench

Jeff Cunningham - too many missed opportunities. Was set up numerous times, and as a striker has to finish them

Jeff Cunningham - Again for good measure, looked just fooken awful

ExiledRed
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Cunningham has some kind of fucking Carribean Voodoo curse on him or something, it's impossible to miss so badly so often.

Seriously.

Fiin
05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Cunningham has some kind of fucking Carribean Voodoo curse on him or something, it's impossible to miss so badly so often.

Seriously.

No shit man.. I think him and Samuel ate a Baby Ruth and got the curse of the Bambino..

Pachuco
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
For me Tebily, Brennan and Robert were the best players on our side tonight. Smith didn't do all that much up front (maybe he's a better winger). Ricketts I would say was ok. some good ball skill but for some reason when he tries to take on players he rarely gets past them.

Ron Manager
05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Only caught the second half, but I thought Velez looked like a rock out there. Unbeatable in the air, held the centre well, covered well for Wynee when Wynne pushed forward adn capped it with a great goal off another perfect Robvert delivery.

I thought he was a 10 tonight. (in the second half)

(As a sidenote, the bragging father in me has to tell you that I missed the first half as my daughter had her first game of the season tonight and bagged 2 second half goals in a 5-0 victory...I'll rate her a 10 as well.)

profit89
05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Cunningham stinks.. he's one of those original MLSers.. these guys are getting weeded out as the league improves

ManUtd4ever
05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Jimmy Brennan, Olivier Tebily, and the master header Marco Velez were standouts tonight...

jloome
05-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Sutton - 6
Wynne - 6
Velez - 7
Tebily - 8
Brennan -6
Ricketts - 6
Robinson - 6
Harmse - 5
Robert - 7
Cunningham - 5
Dichio - 6
Smith - 6

giambac
Not going to rate every player, just who was excellent, who was good, and who can sit on the bench

Excellent Performance

Good Performance

Take a seat on the bench

Kevin Harmse - bad passes, bad tackles, normal Harmse play

Wow, How can you miss Brennan?

For me the top 2 players were Teliby and Brennan.
Valez looked okay as did Wynn.

I wasn't overly impressed with our midfield or strikers. We did start to control the game and the midfoeld in the 2nd half, but only after Montreal were shorthanded.

Cunningham looked awful. he can't finish anything.

Keyman
Alright, here it goes!

Jeff Cunningham - 4 - His performance was very hard to watch. I thought he put in a good effort in the first 45 minutes, he was hustling after every ball and using his pace effectively. However he lacked the finish, again. In the second half, almost every touch he made was terrible, he had no finish, and he was utterly useless up front. Please, get off my team.

Danny Dichio - 6 - Not on enough to make an impact, however in the little time he was one, he was alright. Nothing fantastic though, just solid distribution and ability to distribute the ball.

Kevin Harmse - 1 - Harmse is absolutely worthless as a central midfielder. He has no ability on the ball, and his distribution is terrible. Even in a holding role, he lacks the pace and safe tackling ability to play the position effectively. There is no reason to stick him back out there, he did not do anything positive.

Rohan Ricketts - 6.5 - Dangerous on the ball,when he's moving. He seems to be picky im terms of who he wants to send the ball to, therefore he retains possession for far too long. When he does not wast his time on the ball, he is an effective player. He improved as the game progressed, and delivered a few dangerous crosses. A bit above average from Ricketts.

Laurent Robert - 7 - Delivered multiple dangerous balls into the box, and he did what was asked of him. He's a solid player when he is not relied on heavily to move with the ball. He creates for others through his pin-point accurate crosses and through balls, not through his ability and pace on the ball.

Carl Robinson - 7 - I thought Robinson did a very solid job, and made some very good tackles. He distributed the ball well, and even moved himself forward at times. Solid performance from Robbo, his presence will be missed against LA.

Olivier Tebily - 9 - That was one of the best performances by a Toronto central defender I have seen. I mean, it was against USL players, however he was absolutely dominant at the back. His positioning was first class, he was very simplistic, he made multiple integral tackles, and his reaction time was next to perfect. He was the MOM

Jimmy Brennan - 7 - moved forward dangerously, delivered quite a few dangerous balls forward and into the box, and didn't have any glaring mistakes at the back. It was a solid performance from Brennan.

Marco Velez - 7.5 - Scored the goal, which was a fantastic header by the way, and was solid at the back. He knew when he was beat, and made a smart tackle to eliminate the threat. Other than that, he kept his cool, had good positioning, and made multiple tackles. ANother good performance from Marcoo..... Velez!!!!!!

Marvell Wynne - 6 - Wasn't really challenged that often, however I felt he pushed too far forward and forced Velez to cover for him at the back. He made a few tackles, but he did nothing special and was beat on a couple occassions. Nothing fantastic from Wynne.

Greg Sutton - 6.5 - Didn't do much of anything tonight, however he had some solid positioning on a couple occassions, which forced some shots wide. He wasn't challenged enough to get a high rating.

Jarrod Smith - 4 - Virtually non existent up front, let's not try that again. He looked much better on the flank, and looked lost playing alongside Cunny.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Marvel Wynne was the man of the match, solid at the back with Tebily, other then them the rest of the team need to pick it up a lot before the Gal;axy match.

Lenny Dikestra
05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Cunningham stinks.. he's one of those original MLSers.. these guys are getting weeded out as the league improves

very interesting comment >>
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kFeaqB-AAMo

devioustrevor
05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out. I was pleased with Harmse's performance. The tackle on his Yellow Card was a little unnecessary, but unlike many of our players tonight, his passes didn't seem lazy and he actually seemed willing to close down on players. I felt it an honest 6.

I wasn't impressed by Wynne tonight. I felt his game was quite poor. I felt he was caught out of position far too often, and not just when he pushed forward. His positioning all game seemed wretched. When he was the weak-side fullback he seemed to push towards center far too much and when Montreal made cross field passes Wynne wasn't close enough to his man to do anything. We got lucky that Leo Di Lorenzo went out early as he seemed quite dangerous and if he was playing all night with all the room Wynne was giving him I think he would've ripped us apart.

Cunningham was absolutely disgusting tonight. His first shot of the game was a decent effort, but everything after that was totally useless. That chance in the 66th minute was inexcusable. Instead of first-timing the ball when the defence was in disarray he instead seemed to pull the ball back looking for a perfect shot. Ricketts seemed to do the same thing a little later on a break.

I was also unimpressed with Carver's tactics tonight. Having Robert and Ricketts switch wings once and awhile to change the look of our attack is one thing, to have them playing their off-wings for 50 minutes straight is stupid. All game we were better going forward with Robert and Ricketts on their proper wings.

Also, something I've noticed and haven't liked the last couple of days is our central midfielders playing too predictably. They seem unwilling to put their foot on the ball and run with it and instead seem to pass the ball as soon as they get it. I noticed it especially in the game vs. DCU and they seemed to pick up on it right away as every time the ball came near Robbo he always made a long-ish pass towards the wings and I noticed DCU starting to back off him and sort of played a zone downfield.

rocker
05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
i sorta agree with you on Wynne.. I actually didn't think he played that well... I guess he was cheating a bit, basically allowing Montreal to go wide and they did it successfully a lot. There was also a lot of confusion between Wynne and his defence in the early going.. positioning was weak. He also didn't turn on the jets as much as he does usually. But he played 3 days ago... and 3 days before that...

On Cunny, there was one little play where Nigel Reed said that Robert
basically gave the ball away as he passed back... but Nigel got it wrong.. Robert was laying off the ball to Cunny but Cunny never ran to the spot, and that's why Montreal got the ball back. Frustrating. Jimmy B is much better at understanding what Robert wants to do.

noochie
05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out. I was pleased with Harmse's performance. The tackle on his Yellow Card was a little unnecessary, but unlike many of our players tonight, his passes didn't seem lazy and he actually seemed willing to close down on players. I felt it an honest 6.

You are not alone. I didn't think he was any worse than the average tonight. After watching the LA game last weekend, we need to step up or we will be eaten alive on Sat. Defence was great again but we need finish (same 'ol story).

ag futbol
05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I wasn't impressed by Wynne tonight. I felt his game was quite poor. I felt he was caught out of position far too often, and not just when he pushed forward. His positioning all game seemed wretched. When he was the weak-side fullback he seemed to push towards center far too much and when Montreal made cross field passes Wynne wasn't close enough to his man to do anything. We got lucky that Leo Di Lorenzo went out early as he seemed quite dangerous and if he was playing all night with all the room Wynne was giving him I think he would've ripped us apart.

Cunningham was absolutely disgusting tonight. His first shot of the game was a decent effort, but everything after that was totally useless. That chance in the 66th minute was inexcusable. Instead of first-timing the ball when the defence was in disarray he instead seemed to pull the ball back looking for a perfect shot. Ricketts seemed to do the same thing a little later on a break.

Also, something I've noticed and haven't liked the last couple of days is our central midfielders playing too predictably. They seem unwilling to put their foot on the ball and run with it and instead seem to pass the ball as soon as they get it. I noticed it especially in the game vs. DCU and they seemed to pick up on it right away as every time the ball came near Robbo he always made a long-ish pass towards the wings and I noticed DCU starting to back off him and sort of played a zone downfield.
Agreed on all points.

Wynn often can hide his poor positional play with his speed, but sometimes it stands out. Overall I'd say he's improved over last year, but still needs improvement in the area.

The midfield being predictable, ya I'd have to agree. We pretty much play channel football expecting the wingers to attack and have the central mids sunk back a bit to destroy.

Even though they lost, you could see how shifty the central mids for the impact were. They held the ball well and varied point the attack. The flip side of that is that they were crap defensively. I don't think i remember more than two or three cases where a guy really stepped up and stuffed an attacking player the way Robinson or Edu would.

As long as we play Robinson and Edu centrally we'll always be a more defensively orientated team. Which i'm ok with, as long as we're winning.

rocker
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Quote from Robert:

Despite the victory, Robert was not very impressed with his side's showing.
"That was not the real Toronto FC," Robert said. "I've been here two months and I haven't seen us play that badly."

Ossington Mental Youth
05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Dichio should have never started and Smith should have started, basically Robert playing Guevaras spot.

Robert is right, it was the worst game since the DC 4-1 loss or even as far back as the tournaments at the start of the season.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with our midfield or strikers. We did start to control the game and the midfoeld in the 2nd half, but only after Montreal were shorthanded.

Oddly enough i agree.
Our midfield was nonexistent for the majority of the first half and got slightly better once we took off Dichio and played Robert sweeping across the field with Ricketts more or less on the wings (Smith going forward from time to time). Really i honestly think our team is no longer suited to play the 4-4-2 that we seem to favor. We look strongest with a larger midfield (with two DMs, a AM and two wingers) and a striker (even if the striker is Cunny, who barely made an appearence). I hope that Carver noticed this tonight and never tries to play us as a 4-4-2 again. We more or less dominated from the 65th minute or so but it shouldnt take us that long at this point in time regardless of who is playing on the field. It was fucking frustrating and embarassing. Montreal are not that good a team and shouldnt have done as well as they did in the first half.

Also I fucking hate Montreal, they were diving like fucking submarines, it was embarassing. I also loved how they just looked tired and defeated by about the 70th minute.

joel
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
man, Edu sucked!!!

:)

tfc88
05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
just watchin the cbc replay... tebily looks awesome

lots of experience...

Draracle
05-27-2008, 11:55 PM
about time Tebily logged 90 minutes. This guy should start. Clean tackles. Great position. Superb timing.

Shame we still don't get to see James play... I would like to see what he can offer.

Harmse was so weak... he should never start and never play in the middle.

Wynne was Wynne. His game is speed. But quick passing and strong ball control can push him around. That being said, he often baits his opponent into a foot race by giving him a yard... then it is all over but the crying. Points for knowing your strengths. He can improve, but he is a strong weapon for us.

tfctillidie
05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Cunningham needs to go...he is not worth what TFC is paying him right now

Laurignano
05-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Cunningham needs to go...he is not worth what TFC is paying him right now

HE will, he will..as soon as someone else gets signed.

Torcida
05-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I thought Cunningham had a good performance actually, he should have scored though.

craz11
05-28-2008, 01:25 AM
I thought Ricketts played a great game. Tebily impressed too.

Harmes was brutal. Cunny looks like a shadow of his former self.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Did anyone notice lately, that for the last 3 games now Marvell Wynne has been raising his hands and pushing opposition attackers quite blatenly!?!?!? I mean did he not learn from Saturday by getting the penalty called against him??? If he doesn't correct this fast their is gonna be big problems...I mean tonite against Montreal he pushing guys all over the place, not even trying to hide it!!

Torcida
05-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Alright, here it goes!

Jeff Cunningham - 4 - His performance was very hard to watch. I thought he put in a good effort in the first 45 minutes, he was hustling after every ball and using his pace effectively. However he lacked the finish, again. In the second half, almost every touch he made was terrible, he had no finish, and he was utterly useless up front. Please, get off my team.

Danny Dichio - 6 - Not on enough to make an impact, however in the little time he was one, he was alright. Nothing fantastic though, just solid distribution and ability to distribute the ball.

Kevin Harmse - 1 - Harmse is absolutely worthless as a central midfielder. He has no ability on the ball, and his distribution is terrible. Even in a holding role, he lacks the pace and safe tackling ability to play the position effectively. There is no reason to stick him back out there, he did not do anything positive.

Rohan Ricketts - 6.5 - Dangerous on the ball,when he's moving. He seems to be picky im terms of who he wants to send the ball to, therefore he retains possession for far too long. When he does not wast his time on the ball, he is an effective player. He improved as the game progressed, and delivered a few dangerous crosses. A bit above average from Ricketts.

Laurent Robert - 7 - Delivered multiple dangerous balls into the box, and he did what was asked of him. He's a solid player when he is not relied on heavily to move with the ball. He creates for others through his pin-point accurate crosses and through balls, not through his ability and pace on the ball.

Carl Robinson - 7 - I thought Robinson did a very solid job, and made some very good tackles. He distributed the ball well, and even moved himself forward at times. Solid performance from Robbo, his presence will be missed against LA.

Olivier Tebily - 9 - That was one of the best performances by a Toronto central defender I have seen. I mean, it was against USL players, however he was absolutely dominant at the back. His positioning was first class, he was very simplistic, he made multiple integral tackles, and his reaction time was next to perfect. He was the MOM

Jimmy Brennan - 7 - moved forward dangerously, delivered quite a few dangerous balls forward and into the box, and didn't have any glaring mistakes at the back. It was a solid performance from Brennan.

Marco Velez - 7.5 - Scored the goal, which was a fantastic header by the way, and was solid at the back. He knew when he was beat, and made a smart tackle to eliminate the threat. Other than that, he kept his cool, had good positioning, and made multiple tackles. ANother good performance from Marcoo..... Velez!!!!!!

Marvell Wynne - 6 - Wasn't really challenged that often, however I felt he pushed too far forward and forced Velez to cover for him at the back. He made a few tackles, but he did nothing special and was beat on a couple occassions. Nothing fantastic from Wynne.

Greg Sutton - 6.5 - Didn't do much of anything tonight, however he had some solid positioning on a couple occassions, which forced some shots wide. He wasn't challenged enough to get a high rating.

Jarrod Smith - 4 - Virtually non existent up front, let's not try that again. He looked much better on the flank, and looked lost playing alongside Cunny.
I agree for the most part. Smith needed the chance to be up front, sadly though if we are going to play 2 up front our only sub options ATM are Smith and Lombardo.

Some changes to your ratings that I would make: Dichio 5.5, Harmse 4, Brennan 6.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Did anyone notice lately, that for the last 3 games now Marvell Wynne has been raising his hands and pushing opposition attackers quite blatenly!?!?!? I mean did he not learn from Saturday by getting the penalty called against him??? If he doesn't correct this fast their is gonna be big problems...I mean tonite against Montreal he pushing guys all over the place, not even trying to hide it!!

yeah, i caught that too, not a good habit to get into.
Carver needs to srot that out

Nuvinho
05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
yeah, i caught that too, not a good habit to get into.
Carver needs to srot that out

in practice tape his hands to the side.....hahahaha!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2008, 08:11 AM
in practice tape his hands to the side.....hahahaha!!!
HAHAHA
sounds about right to me

nimamalek
05-28-2008, 09:06 AM
funny how biases people are on this board. you guys are telling me that Harmes is bad at distributing the ball but Robbo did a good job? are you on crack? i lost count of how many passes he put to montreal players or how many times he just blindly kicked the ball up the field, a good example is the pass that was 20 feet behind Robert which eventually forced Brennan to take a yellow. Basically every time Robbo touched the ball he gave it away until the end of the game when there was no pressure on them, I really like this guy as a holding midfielder, and he may be the best defensive midfielder in the league, but if he has to make a pass longer that 20 feet he's completely useless.