PDA

View Full Version : Sound Wave Marching Band - St Paddy's Day

DinamoTFC
03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I know a lot of soccer fans aren't too excited or think a marching band has no place in soccer. I've been trying to find some videos of the band to see how they actually are, and to my surprise they actually sound pretty good.

I think this will be a nice and unique experience in MLS if done right with the supporters group and so far it's looking they are working together.

They are definately using it as a good marketing tool thats for sure in parades like these.

lbVXBUWzxPI

ouG89FKPU7Y

tVFbK9sjP_k

HD6IQc0v8rs

Thanksgiving Day parade
YpTfC1nw4Fk

Jeff s
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
sorry but thats... just sad.

Talk about trying to "Americanize" the sport:rolleyes:

Whoop
03-17-2009, 10:49 PM
It's not typical... but they're trying to replicate the atmosphere you get at some NCAA football games, which is probably the closest you'll get to some of the atmospheres overseas.

Not a big fan of the horns, though some South American groups use them, i.e. Boca Juniors... but if they can incorporate the band with some singing chants, it will be a win win.

eS7xNMHvo-Y

Nawsh
03-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Not a fan AT ALL of the band idea!

And the Boca Juniors Band sounds like a little percussion and a few trumpets.

The Sounders are rolling with a with a 30-35 PIECE MARCHING BAND! Don't believe me? Check out that last video ... 5 across, 7 rows (maybe 6). That is HUGE.

To give you some reference, the Tribal Rhythm Nation has maybe a 6-7 piece (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm counting a set of steel drums as 1 piece in a band) and we know how loud they can be.

Now Marching Band pieces are picked and designed for their ability to PROJECT sound ... horns, tubas with their bells angled for maximum sound and portability, the snares with the high pitch. All massive noise makers.

With the way QWest Field is laid out and the way sound reverberates in there, you figure the Sounders Supporters are going to be drowned out? Hell yes. Even if they aren't, this goes one of two ways:

Disaster or lameness.

And if the disaster is a bunch of drunken Sounders Supporters force-feeding some Marching Band Member their Tuba ... well, that's just quality entertainment thrown in for free.

DinamoTFC
03-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Are they planning to play a lot during the game? I thought it was mainly for Pregame, halftime and postgame festivities and maybe a bit during the game if it gets quiet..

ThunderTundra
03-18-2009, 12:00 AM
According to the article on Sounders homepage, Drew Carry said that the supporters will be led to the games by the marching band. It doesnt say anything about having it during the game.

Apparently Philly is looking to have a large entrance extravaganza as well since they are getting their own entrance to the stadium

Cashcleaner
03-18-2009, 12:04 AM
sorry but thats... just sad.

Talk about trying to "Americanize" the sport:rolleyes:

Crazy notion, given that they are American and all. :rolleyes:

Being a purist who's so stuck in the mud that you can't accept any sort of change is actually kinda lame. Oh yeah that's right, it's soccer so we always have to do whatever the Europeans do...

Nawsh
03-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Well guys,

If it is as DinamoTFC and ThunderTundra say, then it might not be that bad, Dinamo is right in that they are a good marching band.

Might be cool if they make a marching band spectacle at every half time a tradition ... like Harry Caray singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

I just think if SSFC took the trouble to hire and outfit a marching band, they have more extensive plans for them.

twistedchinaman
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
The marching band could be too much IMO. But I want to see it for real first; Seattle v TFC, 29 August baby. Right through Pioneer Square to Qwest.

Marketing tool is a definite yes; practical? Maybe.

Nawsh
03-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Alright, so I checked out the SoundersFC.com website:

The Official Band of the Seattle Sounders FC

From the city which spawned grunge music and the sounds of Quincy Jones to Jimi Hendrix, comes the Sounders FC Sound Wave. Sound Wave is the official band of the Seattle Sounders FC and is the brainchild of Sounders FC minority owner Drew Carey. The 53-person ensemble is made up of traditional marching percussion and brass instruments, bringing the Sounders FC passion to life. The Sound Wave plays custom arrangements from all types of music including Latin, funk, big band, pop and rock.

Sound Wave sets the tone, rhythm and pace for the extraordinary game day atmosphere at Qwest Field.

Sound Wave and the Supporters groups sit in proximity to each other during matches in the south end of Qwest Field. The two groups work in concert to cohesively lead SFC fans in songs and chants that permeate the stadium throughout the match.

So it looks like I low-balled the size of the band and they are indeed playing during the game.

dupont
03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I HATE marching bands. Every time I see them on tv I get agitated. My girlfriend is from the states and she told me the worst thing about being in band in high school was that they forced her to play at football games (not good football... i mean bad american football)

twistedchinaman
03-18-2009, 01:32 AM
I HATE marching bands. Every time I see them on tv I get agitated. My girlfriend is from the states and she told me the worst thing about being in band in high school was that they forced her to play at football games (not good football... i mean bad american football)

I'm sorta surprised they're not given those standard marching uniforms -- then that would be bad.

daner90
03-18-2009, 07:10 AM
wow so they are going to use to marching band to get their chants going during the game....thats pretty lame.

Shaughno
03-18-2009, 07:25 AM
On the plus side for them, at least they'll have a proper band that can keep time and won't speed up!

Whoop
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
:rofl:

BBBulldog
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
that's not Boca band, that's their barra brava. There's difference :p

Pachuco
03-18-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't see the problem with it. Read the description again. They are planning on working together with the supporter's groups. I for one, can think of many times at BMO when we needed some help in getting chants started.

The Official Band of the Seattle Sounders FC

From the city which spawned grunge music and the sounds of Quincy Jones to Jimi Hendrix, comes the Sounders FC Sound Wave. Sound Wave is the official band of the Seattle Sounders FC and is the brainchild of Sounders FC minority owner Drew Carey. The 53-person ensemble is made up of traditional marching percussion and brass instruments, bringing the Sounders FC passion to life. The Sound Wave plays custom arrangements from all types of music including Latin, funk, big band, pop and rock.

Sound Wave sets the tone, rhythm and pace for the extraordinary game day atmosphere at Qwest Field.

Sound Wave and the Supporters groups sit in proximity to each other during matches in the south end of Qwest Field. The two groups work in concert to cohesively lead SFC fans in songs and chants that permeate the stadium throughout the match.

Keystone FC
03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
It's not typical... but they're trying to replicate the atmosphere you get at some NCAA football games, which is probably the closest you'll get to some of the atmospheres overseas.

Not a big fan of the horns, though some South American groups use them, i.e. Boca Juniors... but if they can incorporate the band with some singing chants, it will be a win win.

That is the problem I have with the whole thing. They are toooo much like a NCAA pep band at a basketball game.
Pep bands are fine...at high schools, colleges, universities, but to put that into an atmosphere such as a soccer match is just silly. It's as though the Sounders FO has no faith in the supporters to create an atmosphere by themselves.
A few trumpets here or there is okay but a full fledge marching band is over the top.
I can see this being done away with in about 2 years.

torfchamilton
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I for one do not mind the horns, 1-2 at tops to lead the chant/song. A whole band is effing ridiculous. Watch Drew Carey's interview on CNN and he says that it was his idea and is really surprised that no one else in soccer does it :))

Whoop
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Whatever you think, at least Drew Carey is trying and shows some passion.

In the end, that will help Seattle. All the power to them.

Detroit_TFC
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree with Keystone - this will cause immediate friction with the supporters groups. Having the band call the chants is basically like having a "cheer now" sign on the Jumbotron. Maybe the band could be used for pregame or parades, etc., but why have it at all?

Keystone FC
03-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree with Keystone - this will cause immediate friction with the supporters groups. Having the band call the chants is basically like having a "cheer now" sign on the Jumbotron. Maybe the band could be used for pregame or parades, etc., but why have it at all?

Can't wait to see the cheerleaders.:D

Shaughno
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Ever think that maybe they supporters group agreed with it?

Detroit_TFC
03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
From what I've read, various Empire Supporters Club members have voiced support for the band as long as the band doesn't play during game time.

Keystone FC
03-19-2009, 04:52 AM
From what I've read, various Empire Supporters Club members have voiced support for the band as long as the band doesn't play during game time.
Thursday's game is going to be very interesting then.:D

LucaGol
03-19-2009, 06:52 AM
This is actually not a new idea.

Im not sure what constitutes an entire "marching band", but the Dutch and Mexican national teams frequently have 5 or 6 people belting out songs that initiate chants.

I doubt it's going to be like a college football game over there in Seattle. They've put so much work into building the product up this far and I don't think they'd risk it by having a marching band playing ridiculous tunes all game.

akoto
03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I kind of like them. I thought "Low" sounded pretty good actually. I'm not saying I would like to hear them during the game but during pregame and halftime I think it's acceptable.

Jeff s
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Crazy notion, given that they are American and all. :rolleyes:

Being a purist who's so stuck in the mud that you can't accept any sort of change is actually kinda lame. Oh yeah that's right, it's soccer so we always have to do whatever the Europeans do...

You know your right, your absolutely right.

Tell you what, lets bring back the over time and shoot out rules too while we're at it. You wont mind right? I mean this is America/Canada after all, we're use to these kinds of rules. Screw what the rest of the world is doing.