PDA

View Full Version : Great 2nd Half from Tebily

Stencils
05-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Didn't get to see the first half (Mansion was a complete BUST...I don't wanna talk about it)...

...but I got home in time to watch the 2nd and I thought Tebily had an excellent half. He was winning a lot of the headers (and putting them into good places) and he made a number of key defensive touches and moves (blocking the Impact player as the ball came in towards Sutton.

But who should come off to let him in the starting XI?!?

Heathen
05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
what do you expect he's ex-Birmingham :noidea:

Wagner
05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Tebily looked great.
definitely a bonus with all the int'l duty our team has this summer.

Keyman
05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
That was one of the best performances by a Toronto central defender I have seen. I mean, it was against USL players, however he was absolutely dominant at the back. His positioning was first class, he was very simplistic, he made multiple integral tackles, and his reaction time was next to perfect.

He was the MOM

ua-kozak_TFC
05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Didn't get to see the first half (Mansion was a complete BUST...I don't wanna talk about it)...

...but I got home in time to watch the 2nd and I thought Tebily had an excellent half. He was winning a lot of the headers (and putting them into good places) and he made a number of key defensive touches and moves (blocking the Impact player as the ball came in towards Sutton.

i think EDu... he definetly could play alongside robinson... his touches are pretty good he can pass the ball he definetly would do a better job than Edu is doing so far..

ExiledRed
05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Tebily delivered.

Great signing.

S_D
05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
He certainly made a really strong case to start but he wasn't playing against MLS strikers. He deserves the chance for sure. Whatever Carver decides to do it is a nice problem to have :)

giambac
05-27-2008, 09:00 PM

For me Teliby and Brennan were both the MOTM.

TFC Cityboy
05-27-2008, 09:40 PM

Hi Adam
"Bombscare" was superb, yes. As for who comes out, Tyrone is the logical one as he'll have to win his place back after injury. If you're in possession of the shirt and playing well, you start.

noochie
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Tebily is a beast, he is going to be very very tough to beat at the back. He has a great sense for where attackers are going to go, he is extremely patient and cool so far. Great pickup. Now please uncle Mo... get us a striker or 2.

rocker
05-27-2008, 10:15 PM
there was a play where the Montreal guy was trying to deke Tebily and Tebily didn't bite, and in the end the Montreal guy just fell down and Tebily walked away with the ball.. hahah

noochie
05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
there was a play where the Montreal guy was trying to deke Tebily and Tebily didn't bite, and in the end the Montreal guy just fell down and Tebily walked away with the ball.. hahah

That was $ :)

RPLProducer
05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Love the fact that he would rather patiently wait and pass to an open midfielder then hastily crank it up the field. Good pickup.

noochie
05-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Love the fact that he would rather patiently wait and pass to an open midfielder then hastily crank it up the field. Good pickup.

Didn't think about that but now that you mention it... and especially in the second half, no launching the ball aimlessly up the pitch. I think a lot of that was DD being subbed out (and being up a man). Much better job of controlling the play and putting the ball into feet.

jloome
05-27-2008, 11:06 PM
He was a friggin' monster all game! He absolutely ran down every ball near the box and was totally prescient, often getting into position to intercept well before Montreal's flanks had even turned in to deliver their crosses.

His link up play was amazing. Twice, he hit the front man on the run of play directly from the backline, and he sprayed short wide balls with more precision than anyone else I've seen in a TFC shirt this season so far.

I don't want to gush too much, because he has a rep for boneheaded moves -- and there was one pass after he came on versus DC that was a hair away from giving them a breakaway two-on-nothing -- but if he keeps playing like that, I'd say he's going to unseat someone. Maybe Edu, as the city fans who've talked about him online say he was better as a DM than a centre half -- a scary prospect unto itself.

Oh, and let's not forget his stare down of the ref. He looked like he was about to say "I want to eat your children." Scary, hard guy.

Laurignano
05-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I hope Edu gets benched and this guy get a chance.

Torcida
05-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I was satisfied with Olivier's performance. He may become a regular XI player soon, but who will he replace? Tyrone or Marco?

Daveisonfire
05-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I was keeping a close eye on Tebily the whole match, and I was thoroughly impressed by his play...I won't get too excited though, because it was against a USL side, but I really like what I see.

Torcida
05-28-2008, 01:23 AM
I hope Edu gets benched and this guy get a chance.
So you want to play 5 at the back?

:noidea:

BTW, I don't think Maurice should be in the XI either, he's been our weakest link for a while now (since Velez got better)

Lucky Strike
05-28-2008, 01:48 AM
In the match thread, I wrote that attackers should just give Tébily the ball and stop wasting everyone's time. I stick by it!

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 09:23 AM
So you want to play 5 at the back?

:noidea:

BTW, I don't think Maurice should be in the XI either, he's been our weakest link for a while now (since Velez got better)

I think they were referring to the fact that Tebily has played DM before.

Limani_Ole
05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Robo pays defensive mid.. Edu normally pushes up..
Tibely will definitely stay in the starting 11..

unless our formation changes.. Edu will be starting..
you have to remember we have a bunch of new players this year and a new formation..
He has a huge upside which wont be realized if he sits on the bench..

TorontoBlades
05-28-2008, 09:42 AM
how many of you wish we could have that Marshall v Edson Buddle trade back now eh? hindsight is a gift

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Robo pays defensive mid.. Edu normally pushes up..
Tibely will definitely stay in the starting 11..

unless our formation changes.. Edu will be starting..
you have to remember we have a bunch of new players this year and a new formation..
He has a huge upside which wont be realized if he sits on the bench..

In our current formation, Edu doesn't really push up a whole lot. Guevara takes on the CAM role and the wingers push up as well. Edu and Robbo have been sitting in front of the defenders.

icecoldbeer
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I liked Tebily, he looks much fitter from when he first got here (comparing his roster picture to him last night, looks like Winsper has whipped him in to shape!)

jloome
05-28-2008, 11:28 AM
In our current formation, Edu doesn't really push up a whole lot. Guevara takes on the CAM role and the wingers push up as well. Edu and Robbo have been sitting in front of the defenders.

While it might seem premature, it might be time to start shopping Maurice Edu for a top-notch striker. There are plenty of pundits who think he's only a couple ofyears frm going to Europe anyway, and he's had little to contribute so far this year. He's probably near the peak of any market value the league could get for him, and if Tebily is, as reported, stronger at DM than CH, we might as well use him there.

His distribution was top notch.

Limani_Ole
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Edu joins the attack while Robo sits back.. and thats as per his play on the field and him being quoted "carver wants me to join the attach more.."

going back to the point - Tibely could not replace Edu for that reason..

Limani_Ole
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
While it might seem premature, it might be time to start shopping Maurice Edu for a top-notch striker.

Why would get rid of Edu to get a striker? Then what would we do with Cunny and his $250k salary? keep him?

Northern Soul
05-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Edu joins the attack while Robo sits back.. and thats as per his play on the field and him being quoted "carver wants me to join the attach more.."

Take a look at our formation. Sure, Edu may be playing as more of a box-to-box midfielder, but why coudn't Tebily fill in for him. Tebily in a defensive role would have just as many goals as Edu does this year in an 'attacking' role.

Also keep in mind who replaced Edu in Montreal. Harmse, a DM.

Big Bruva
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought the whole team were obviously not great in the first half so ill judge the 2nd.

Tebily was quality and showed pace, strength and composure but i said he was make the back stronger when i was told he was in town.

Robbo always does the easy but does it well, rarely holds onto the ball, he just knocks it after taking 1-2 touches the most as he is more of a passer and not a dribbler .

Cunny showed a lot of energy and was just missing the finsih today but showed the difference in style between him and DD.

RR picked it up as the game went on and got quite a few crosses in, DD should of finished one after an RR cross back post and LR pull back, Cunny should of finished the one RR slipped through for him, the goal came from RR getting fouled and RR should of scored himself (one he should of tried first time and the other the keeper made a good save)

Smithy kinda went missing in my eyes and will hopefully show that he can bring what he brings off the bench for an extended time like he had in this match.

Wynne was solid but seems to not know his own strength sometimes and just pushes the man, he did the same push that gave away the pen.

Velez was quality and looks very confident now

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I thought the whole team were obviously not great in the first half so ill judge the 2nd.

Tebily was quality and showed pace, strength and composure but i said he was make the back stronger when i was told he was in town.

Robbo always does the easy but does it well, rarely holds onto the ball, he just knocks it after taking 1-2 touches the most as he is more of a passer and not a dribbler .

Cunny showed a lot of energy and was just missing the finsih today but showed the difference in style between him and DD.

RR picked it up as the game went on and got quite a few crosses in, DD should of finished one after an RR cross back post and LR pull back, Cunny should of finished the one RR slipped through for him, the goal came from RR getting fouled and RR should of scored himself (one he should of tried first time and the other the keeper made a good save)

Smithy kinda went missing in my eyes and will hopefully show that he can bring what he brings off the bench for an extended time like he had in this match.

Wynne was solid but seems to not know his own strength sometimes and just pushes the man, he did the same push that gave away the pen.

Velez was quality and looks very confident now

Great outlook m8!

BUt cunny was horible!.....

Big Bruva
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Great outlook m8!

BUt cunny was horible!.....

lol IMO Cunny causes havoc because of his pace but the only thing is he might create 10 chances but might only score 1.

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
lol IMO Cunny causes havoc because of his pace but the only thing is he might create 10 chances but might only score 1.

Needs to be corrected. He might create 10 chances but might only score 0.

It's painfully obvious that he is not the type of player that will succeed here.

Broadview
05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Cunny's speed drew the second yellow when Pesoli had to lean on him or give up a breakaway. That red changed thew game for sure.

If Danny Dichio and Jeff Cunningham made a baby together, we could stick 'em in the academy.

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
^^^ I also think it needs to be mentioned that Pesoli gave up one of the worst red cards I've ever seen. He could have just walked up to the ref and asked for one because the play he made was embarrassing. really really embarrassing. Sure Cunny is past him is he doesn't pull him back, but his team would also not be a man down for 40 minutes.

bhoybobby
05-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi Adam
"Bombscare" was superb, yes. As for who comes out, Tyrone is the logical one as he'll have to win his place back after injury. If you're in possession of the shirt and playing well, you start.

Velez is nowhere near the player Marshall is. If fit Marshal Tellbilly Brennan Wynn should be the back 4.

Wynn got absolutely raped the last game v Mtl, he has to use his foot speed & have better positioning & keep hi hands down.

Stencils
05-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Adam

Hey Richard,

I kind of have to agree with you on this one. I can't help but feel that Marvell Wynne would do well moving up into Edu's spot, leaving his place open for Tebily, but Tebily didn't appear to be too fast on the pitch so getting back would cause problems for him. It looked like Tebily was pretty tired near the end of that game. If he can work on his fitness, he's starting XI for sure.

(It's Allan, btw. No worries!)

Stencils
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Robo should have put that chance he had in the back of the net. He had time to get it on the proper foot if it was a problem for him.

He's got to shake the rust off his attacking.

Stencils
05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Third in a row! And I'm at work...hmm

I don't think Tebily's fitness is quite there for him to be in midfield. I don't think we really have any obvious replacement for Edu either. Neither Harmse nor Dunivant are putting out performances that would justify swapping them in for him.

As for who would be best removed from the back line... I honestly haven't seen a ton from Marshall that tells me he should stay and Velez should go. Maybe I missed some spectacular play by him? Velez has two goals and a number of play saving tackles I can recall. I'm thinking that Carver is working on his consistency more than anything else. If Velez gains consistency, I say he stays for sure.

And Wynne...yeah, he's been uninspiring for the last two games. That push in DC must have set something off because he had his hands up and pushing players more in the Montreal game than in all the other games this season combined. What's with that?

Rawkus_420
05-29-2008, 01:23 PM

yep , the fact he can make offensive minded passes forward, speaks immensely. Marshall is nowhere near that. I think Tebily has just one a starting role and Im glad, it should be his spot to lose now. Marshall is good and all, but tebily is a step above in my opinion. It is a good problem to have thought with dunivant and marhsall and james on the bench for defence. Our D is top fo the league without a doubt..Just please sign another striker so we can play a 4-4-2 , with Dichio and a DP striker to take nice passes from DD , its gunna be trouble for opposing teams. We're good , but DP striker will put us where we need to be.

Bobo
05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Fantastic game and will be starting soon enough. Does seem a bit nervous on the ball though. That could be a problem if it persists because Velez has that same drawback.

rocker
05-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm still crossing my fingers about injuries.... is Winsper really that God-like in his powers??? ;) I'm sure somebody will go down on defence and be out for awhile.. Tebily will find his place that way, in addition to when Brennan and Marshall go away for qualifying.

Don't forget that when we win the Canada Cup, the schedule is fricken crazy in September and October. They have to play home and away versus three other teams between September 16 and October 30..... lots of playing time to go around.