PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver in MLS

Vancouver MLS
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
WE DID IT!!! VANCOUVER IS IN BABY!!! Looks like Portland is IN also!!!

POP THAT CHAMPAGNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1831

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=271087&lid=sublink04&lpos=headlines_main

GuelphStorm2007
03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
That is good news, I cannot wait for it to happen,

BakaGaijin
03-13-2009, 09:39 PM

POP THAT CHAMPAGNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. I'm glad that another Canadian franchise will be joining TFC in the MLS. :canada:

Now kindly fuck off to your own board.

Shouldn't you be shooting up herion in some dark, dirty alley?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 09:40 PM
nice one, thisll tear families apart (one of my bestfriends is diehard TFC, his old man Whitecaps, oddly his old man was born in Toronto and he was born in Van)

Lets hope Vancouver gets an SSS sometime in the future too

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Congratulations. I'm glad that another Canadian franchise will be joining TFC in the MLS. :canada:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
amazing, let the hatred begin
btw its not alleys out there, they have tent cities for that nouveau heroin chic

ensco
03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow
I never thought they'd be picked, but I'm really glad for them.

Ageroo
03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
hmmmmm....should be interesting. I guess I have a good excuse to visit relatives out in BC now.....

pekduck
03-13-2009, 09:47 PM
western road trips!!!

YVR and SEA!!!

BakaGaijin
03-13-2009, 09:47 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
amazing, let the hatred begin
btw its not alleys out there, they have tent cities for that nouveau heroin chic

Sounds like those junkies got it pretty posh.

Hopefully the city finds some time to put the needles down and support their team.

FluSH
03-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Did we just lose Craig Forrest as an analyst/commentator?

TFC_Toon
03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
A good day for Canadian football, Vancouver has always supported the game, welcome to the league.

Shakes McQueen
03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Their team will be comrpised of soccer players from Ontario who moved out west to "see the mountains, dude."

- Scott

BakaGaijin
03-13-2009, 09:51 PM
nice one, thisll tear families apart (one of my bestfriends is diehard TFC, his old man Whitecaps, oddly his old man was born in Toronto and he was born in Van)

Lets hope Vancouver gets an SSS sometime in the future too

I honestly don't know how someone can endorse a team run by Bob Lenarduzzi. Before the National team had Dale Mitchell they had an even bigger wanker named Bob Lenarduzzi. He was the greatest proponent of "dump and chase" football. He had a 4 foot tall striker in Pesch and would have the team hoof it down to him.........he played Radzinski in midfield instead of striker............he is a clueless moron......

Wagner
03-13-2009, 09:53 PM
incredible news.

How's that taste MTL?

FluSH
03-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Anyone wanna drive to an away game... lol

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 09:55 PM
don't pop that yet in till next week

According to the radio station, sources have informed them that MLS officials will be in the city next week to officially award the expansion franchise.

there is one more expansion team to be awarded and three cities are still in the hunt: Portland, St. Louis and Ottawa.

portland supporter group is what mls needs but ottawa is what canada needs to

there wait for the 1st mls game to say anything

mls has 8 west teams & 7 east team phi will be 8. so i think mls wants one new team in the west & east

Roogsy
03-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a good reason for me to make my first ever trip to Vancouver!

Rudi
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
I honestly don't know how someone can endorse a team run by Bob Lenarduzzi. Before the National team had Dale Mitchell they had an even bigger wanker named Bob Lenarduzzi. He was the greatest proponent of "dump and chase" football. He had a 4 foot tall striker in Pesch and would have the team hoof it down to him.........he played Radzinski in midfield instead of striker............he is a clueless moron......
Lenarduzzi will not be coaching the team.

It is possible to be a good executive after having a poor stint as national team coach (which is debatable given Canada's talent pool back then, IMO).

rocktml
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
TSN.................

Ageroo
03-13-2009, 09:58 PM

uh oh....lock up the teenage women.......:D

tfcleeds
03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Congratulations! Welcome aboard.

Lenarduzzi is a wanker!
Lenarduzzi is a wanker!

Where are your away game viewing parties going to be? Insite?

BC101
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Well done Van City... And you have 2 semi local rvials and all Seattle and Portland... Iam jealous.

MG42
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Dobson called it January 24

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/01/24/dobson_expansion_dero/

The burning question, as I see it, is this: Does the league have the guts to expand into Canada not only with one team, but with two? There will be one for sure and it will be Vancouver.

LOL look at the first comment that was left;

And just how do you know there will be at least one Canadian city given an MLS team, Gerry? I've said it before and I'll say it again, Major League Soccer was originaly started to help build a talent pool for the U.S. Soccer Federation, which works closely with the league hand in hand. Toronto was extremely lucky to land a team when they did, and even so there are soccer fans in the United States who despise TFC's presence in "their league" and want us to start up our own equivelant league and get out of MLS altogether.
:lol:

loconet

Same!

Very happy we get another Canadian city. Let's hope it lasts.

Vancouver MLS
Eat your heart out Sport Billy!

JDG
03-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I find it funny that TSN sees this as newsworthy when they do everything that they can to avoid mentioning TFC.

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
i would love to go to vancouver but the the flights cost too much

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 10:08 PM

all that black tar has clouded their minds

BC101
03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I find it funny that TSN sees this as newsworthy when they do everything that they can to avoid mentioning TFC.
TSN:rolleyes: Word man.. They probably put it on TSN2 with all their other footy related goods where only "Some" of the people can see it.. :rolleyes: God i hate that channel more than life itself.

wzhxvy
03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Good for them...I hope they succeed and do a good job with running the franchise. I would not want this to be another grizzlies situation...

rocker
03-13-2009, 10:17 PM
don't worry, once soccer becomes big time, TSN will jump on the bandwagon ;)

rocker
03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
speaking of TSN I was watching some of these old clips of Vanny in the CSL... TSN really covered soccer back then when they needed it. lenarduzzi is in one of the videos.
dale mitchell too.. hahah

http://krammerhead.tripod.com/id12.html

BakaGaijin
03-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Lenarduzzi will not be coaching the team.

It is possible to be a good executive after having a poor stint as national team coach (which is debatable given Canada's talent pool back then, IMO).

Possibly.......but I am still bitter and will never believe otherwise.

I guess Martin Nash has a job with this club for the rest of his life with his brother coming on as part owner.

BakaGaijin
03-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Well done Van City... And you have 2 semi local rvials and all Seattle and Portland... Iam jealous.

Did you know that Vancouver also has a large Japanese population.......and some of those Japanese probably supported the J-league...........and the J-league is on this evening............and I wonder if there are any P2P links to any fixtures?;)

BC101
03-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Did you know that Vancouver also has a large Japanese population.......and some of those Japanese probably supported the J-league...........and the J-league is on this evening............and I wonder if there are any P2P links to any fixtures?
Yeah i know about the high amount of Japanese out there they'll probably get a J-league team as a friendly and iam jealous. Theres links PM you.

profit89
03-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Sign Nakata !!

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 10:44 PM
so what will be the team name

MFBODD
03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
The Vancouver/Seattle rivalry should be good for them.

That said, Vancouver, die.

MFBODD
03-13-2009, 10:52 PM
so what will be the team nameThe Canucks!

ThunderTundra
03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Will the Caps still exist in the USL?

Or will they create another franchise?

Or will it only be MLS

Redpunkfiddle
03-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Whew... it is getting lonely in the USL for a certain team...

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 11:10 PM
yep and it will even sweeter when ottawa gets a team ....lol

Cashcleaner
03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Great news for both soccer in Vancouver and across Canada. Away trips to the West Coast will be beyond awesome. And of course, its something else we can rub in the face of Montreal. :D

Look, Toronto got the ball rolling with TFC and now Vancouver is proving that we're ready to play in the top league (no slight intended against USL). Hopefully Montreal can get its shit sorted out and we'll be set.

Just some advice if any of the Whitecaps brass is watching - Don't drop the Whitecaps name!

cementhead
03-13-2009, 11:17 PM
The more Canadian teams the merrier.Now were go to kick Vancouver's ass!TFC Till I DIE!

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Will the Caps still exist in the USL?

Or will they create another franchise?

Or will it only be MLS

I think its an obligation to leave the USL, im not sure if the name is owned by the league, if it is then prob Vancouver Soccer Club aka the White Caps (as their nickname) if not then prob Vancouver White Caps

RealG-TFC
03-13-2009, 11:31 PM
The more Canadian teams the merrier.Now were go to kick Vancouver's ass!TFC Till I DIE!

Drink up! Be merry!

http://www.davesfootballblog.com/graphics/chappelle_james.jpg

It's a celebration!

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
they will be a vote for team name just like they do for all new teams.

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I assume TSN likes this story because it involves the Canadian golden boy, Mr. Steve Nash.

I think a cross the country trip in a van would be awsome.

s2cazz
03-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I assume TSN likes this story because it involves the Canadian golden boy, Mr. Steve Nash.

I think a cross the country trip in a van would be awsome.
I did it last year for the NCC and it was a good time... the city is beautiful (full of crackheads) but beautiful and there are lot of football fans in swangard...the crowd lacks excitement but the fans are knowledgable football fans...

Baracuda
03-14-2009, 12:04 AM
^^^Vancouver will keep the Whitecaps name, and if Portland gets their shit together, they'll be called the Timbers.

egoodwin
03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I wish the Whitecaps success off the field, and hope the Whitecraps are a disaster on the field

Yalomed
03-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Well done Vancouver if this pans out!! I'd be very pleased to finally have a derby. Those tic tac tabernac novices must be really burning up right now...I LOVE IT!!!

reggie
03-14-2009, 12:25 AM
congratz....great soccer town...by the way, fuck off and can't wait to kick your ass....

Nazzer
03-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Will MLS refer to this as an expansion team? Or will they say that the whitecaps are joining the MLS and this will be a continuation of their history as a club.

Toronto Ruffrider
03-14-2009, 12:34 AM
speaking of TSN I was watching some of these old clips of Vanny in the CSL... TSN really covered soccer back then when they needed it. lenarduzzi is in one of the videos.
dale mitchell too.. hahah

http://krammerhead.tripod.com/id12.html

Those videos are great. I'm always surprised when I watch old clips of Dale Mitchell playing football. I find it ironic that such an offensively-skilled NASL player and later CSL player could employ such negative tactics when coaching our MNT.

twistedchinaman
03-14-2009, 12:40 AM
If they schedule Van and Sea (and maybe Portland midweek) on back-to-back weekends, wow...

Roogsy
03-14-2009, 12:51 AM

Sort of...maybe on their website. But definitely not on Sportscentre. I watched it today for the first time in months to see if they said anything about this and nothing, not 10 seconds. But there was plenty on hockey, basketball and curling!

dupont
03-14-2009, 12:58 AM
I would visit vancouver but it is a shit hole that pales in comparison to toronto. so fuck off. i can't wait for our boys to beat you.

Broadview
03-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Welcome to MLS, though with Adidas as a league wide sponsor I don't think that playing in Birkenstocks will go over all that well.

And can somebody finally give those guys a soccer ball? I can't wait to see their faces when they find out how much bigger it is than a hackey sack.

ensco
03-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Dobson called it January 24

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/01/24/dobson_expansion_dero/

LOL look at the first comment that was left;
:lol:

even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while

rocker
03-14-2009, 09:33 AM
i hope they keep the Whitecaps name, so we can keep calling them the Shitecaps or the Whitecraps. it works perfectly for insults.

Pachuco
03-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't know about you guys but I don't see anything official.

boban
03-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Did you know that Vancouver also has a large Japanese population.......and some of those Japanese probably supported the J-league...........and the J-league is on this evening............and I wonder if there are any P2P links to any fixtures?;)
I don't know about that. The J-League is a relatively new league. Just 3 or 4 years older than MLS. Its going through its issues also. Also, with the immigrants coming from that country being here a few years, I don't how how entrenched their support for the teams from that league or the love of soccer is.

Keystone FC
03-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't know about you guys but I don't see anything official.

Yeah, but all indications are pointing towards Vancouver AND Portland, which would be great. My worry, to some extent, is that the lague is moving towards a new NASL and some of the problems that they faced. I know we are more than 30 years past the old one and we have alot more to our advantage with this league but I can't help but think about how everything got out of control with the NASL and fear that this could happen to the MLS.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM

:{ shite

nascarguy
03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
NASL had very bad owners.

I'll i say is new team new name and no more usl type names there

scooter
03-14-2009, 10:34 AM
this is a great day for canadian football and growth for the future especially cmnt
vancouver football club should be the simple name/blue kits/the blues

oh the blues are shite

thats one road trip that will be great to make

BakaGaijin
03-14-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know about that. The J-League is a relatively new league. Just 3 or 4 years older than MLS. Its going through its issues also. Also, with the immigrants coming from that country being here a few years, I don't how how entrenched their support for the teams from that league or the love of soccer is.

The entire purpose of my post was to ask BC for P2P links for last night's j-league matches. I was just being cheeky trying to make my post relative to this thread as International footy talk is apparantly banned.

rocker
03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but all indications are pointing towards Vancouver AND Portland, which would be great. My worry, to some extent, is that the lague is moving towards a new NASL and some of the problems that they faced. I know we are more than 30 years past the old one and we have alot more to our advantage with this league but I can't help but think about how everything got out of control with the NASL and fear that this could happen to the MLS.

as long as MLS stays single entity with a salary cap, they will not get out of control like the NASL did.
The NASL's big prob is it was run exactly like traditional sports leagues, with individual owners and a free-for-all. Expansion in MLS is much more secure. NASL expansions were a whole different kind of beast. Other than a fee to get in, they didn't contribute to the overall health of the league in a direct way.

Actually, Toronto and Seattle's expansions are proving to be massive successes, actually bringing up the league, given the revenue sharing that goes on.

nascarguy
03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
portland would be great for mls & would be massive successes.

with van out of the usl now hamilton can move in to the usl

Vancouver MLS
03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Prospect+franchise+coming+Vancouver+looking+good/1387908/story.html

S_D
03-14-2009, 11:56 AM
It looks like TSN and the Sun are just reporting what the radio station reported. In other words very little journalism has taken place lol. At least the Sun contacted the Whitecaps to try and confirm. TSN did nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly hope Vanc gets in, I am just a bit cynical of the entire process.

If it is one thing we have all learned through this and previous expansion rounds, we can't trust the media, nor even MLS as they all talk a lot of crap until the final decision is made and announced.

Until "the Don" formerly announces it, it is still a crapshoot.

Redcoe15
03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I hold onto my applause until the announcement officially comes. I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

Azerban
Well done Vancouver if this pans out!! I'd be very pleased to finally have a derby. Those tic tac tabernac novices must be really burning up right now...I LOVE IT!!!

i know we have to be real liberal with the use of the word derby on this continent but come on

Redpunkfiddle
First, congratulations Vancouver.
Second, up yours Whitecaps!

Third, one thing I wonder about is the implications for Canadian content on our teams. Is this going to help develop our national talent, or are we going to struggle to be able to have enough MLS quality players with two teams given the domestic quotas?

Vancouver MLS
03-14-2009, 01:24 PM
CTV is not going with the Wednesday announcement; they say end of month:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090314/bc_mls_whitecaps_vancouver_kathy_20090313/20090314/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Don Garber has apparently gotten a hotel in Vancouver for Monday and will be in Seattle Tuesday.

I think the MLS brass are coming here to finalize negotiations, but do it face to face.

When things come down to the wire and if there are sticking points, a face to face meeting sometimes helps resolve issues.

I also believe Garber will be going to Portland to try to get financing solidified for Paulson.

Am I onto something? I'm sorry Team 1040 but you jumped the gun.

H Bomb
03-14-2009, 01:24 PM
i know we have to be real liberal with the use of the word derby on this continent but come on

hahahaa, yeah...

Redcoe15
03-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Eat your heart out Sport Billy!

Why waste your time on this forum when you should be telling him over at BigSoccer? OH THAT'S RIGHT, I FORGOT! You've been red carded over at BS for your obnoxious behavior on the forums and you keep getting kicked out for entering a new user name to act like a sock puppet.

Douche!

Yalomed
03-14-2009, 01:34 PM

I think North America will become liberal with the usage of the word "derby" when we realize here that it's FOOTBALL, not soccer. Kind of counter-productive but anyway, perhaps you feel the need to be liberal with the word. For me it's one of the first words I ever learned.

Thanks.

Keystone FC
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
as long as MLS stays single entity with a salary cap, they will not get out of control like the NASL did.
The NASL's big prob is it was run exactly like traditional sports leagues, with individual owners and a free-for-all. Expansion in MLS is much more secure. NASL expansions were a whole different kind of beast. Other than a fee to get in, they didn't contribute to the overall health of the league in a direct way.

Actually, Toronto and Seattle's expansions are proving to be massive successes, actually bringing up the league, given the revenue sharing that goes on.

The MLS has done a great job at keeping all of these issues in check. For this reason Garber gets a big ups for this, no matter what people may think money is the key to keep this league going.
I'm kind of worried about what is to come and the issues involved in scheduling, player transfer, contracts..etc.
At some point the MLS will have to address Canadian players as domestic and players being owned by the clubs and not the league. The other thing will be looked at is attendance but that's a different thread.

Keystone FC
03-14-2009, 01:43 PM
First, congratulations Vancouver.
Second, up yours Whitecaps!

Third, one thing I wonder about is the implications for Canadian content on our teams. Is this going to help develop our national talent, or are we going to struggle to be able to have enough MLS quality players with two teams given the domestic quotas?

I think we will be fine with Canadian talent. The Caps have their own academy to get talent from and TFC won't be burdened with the load of Canadian talent which will be good for us when qualifiers come up.
I do think this will open the debate over the 'domestic' issue reguarding Canadian players. This will get interesting.

Yalomed
03-14-2009, 01:46 PM
The MLS has done a great job at keeping all of these issues in check. For this reason Garber gets a big ups for this, no matter what people may think money is the key to keep this league going.
I'm kind of worried about what is to come and the issues involved in scheduling, player transfer, contracts..etc.
At some point the MLS will have to address Canadian players as domestic and players being owned by the clubs and not the league. The other thing will be looked at is attendance but that's a different thread.

Well said but regarding the notion that Canadians should be categorized as domestic in the MLS. If Blatter goes ahead in passing his 6+5 initiative, that proposal may just go to shite.

Azerban
03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I think North America will become liberal with the usage of the word "derby" when we realize here that it's FOOTBALL, not soccer. Kind of counter-productive but anyway, perhaps you feel the need to be liberal with the word. For me it's one of the first words I ever learned.

Thanks.

derby; noun
a sports competition, especially a game of football, between two teams from the same city or area

don't thank me i'm just trying to help

rocker
03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
i just wish the Brits would pronounce it properly... it's DERBY not DARBY! ;)
There's no A in Derby! ;)

H Bomb
03-14-2009, 02:23 PM
^^ Yeah tell the English how to speak their language! :D;)

profit89
03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
i just wish the Brits would pronounce it properly... it's DERBY not DARBY! ;)
There's no A in Derby! ;)

Mind you, we speak THEIR language. Not the other way around.

rocker
03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
oh, so I'm supposed to say DEF FRETS too eh? ;) Becks was right all along!?!?!

or ... I own FREE CARS! oh, I mean THREE cars...

Brits seem to be able to write English properly... just need to work on their pronunciation. :)

I always laugh remembering how Dichio said a waitress couldn't understand him in a toronto restaurant cuz he kept saying he wanted "WAH-ER". WAH-ER? ohhh, WATER! :)

ExiledRed
03-14-2009, 03:03 PM
oh, so I'm supposed to say DEF FRETS too eh? ;) Becks was right all along!?!?!

or ... I own FREE CARS! oh, I mean THREE cars...

Brits seem to be able to write English properly... just need to work on their pronunciation. :)

I always laugh remembering how Dichio said a waitress couldn't understand him in a toronto restaurant cuz he kept saying he wanted "WAH-ER". WAH-ER? ohhh, WATER! :)

Actually I find canadians have trouble when I pronounce the 'T'

rocker
03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Actually I find canadians have trouble when I pronounce the 'T'

what people think they are saying and what others hear is often very different things.

i always laugh when Becks' DEF FRETS commercial comes on. i bet he doesn't even realize it.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
:{ shite

Still waiting for Ottawa in there

Bloor West FC
03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice!! more money to dish out! How much does it cost to fly to Vancouver? Maybe around $500-800.

Anyways nice to see there in!

Super Cereal
03-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Still don't understand why you're so anti-Ottawa MLS expansion.

If you're against it, that's fine, but come on.

Brooker
03-14-2009, 08:21 PM
okay so add vancouver..... western has 9 teams.

add phili in 2010 eastern has 8.....

and since it probably wont be 2 new canadian teams.... it's gotta be st louis?

rocker
03-14-2009, 10:21 PM
MLS messes around with the balance of the games every year so I don't think they'll care. they'll come up with some equation even if there are more teams in one side.
plus, if they expect more expansion, the imbalance would only last a few years cuz the next batch of teams would surely be in the east (I can't think of any more real expansion candidates in the west).

i just can't see divisional balance trumping good ownership or good stadium plans or whatever.

Rochdale
03-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Or being shot at in Toronto.

Roogsy
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Or being shot at in Toronto.

??? :noidea:

Please don't tell me you live in either Vancouver or Montreal if you are bringing up this issue.

Because unless you have been living under a rock or are massively uninformed, there is a gang war in Vancouver right now.

And I am sorry but Toronto has never had the biker wars of Montreal, bombs and all.

Vancouver MLS
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Word is Don Garber has a hotel room booked in Vancouver this week...

The spectacular Living Shangri-La, $ 595 / night.

While steep, remember he's coming to Vancouver to sign a $ 40 million contract, so $ 595 / night is nothing up against $ 40 million.

He's also travelling to Seattle to be updated on prep for the season kickoff Thursday.

I'd imagine he will meet with Merritt Paulson and the Portland bid people and City Staff and try to get things smoothed over.

Don't you just get the feeling that Garber wants all this Vancouver talk to light a fire under Ottawa to get approval?

nascarguy
03-14-2009, 11:01 PM
yep.... 3 canadian mls teams would be great

Inklink
03-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Way to go! :)

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Still don't understand why you're so anti-Ottawa MLS expansion.

If you're against it, that's fine, but come on.

youre new here so you missed the bit where i was promised by him that Ottawa was a certain expansion team, i said otherwise, arguments ensued, now im being a bit of a prick because im right (well, so far HA, unless theres any surprises)

Redcoe15
03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Word is Don Garber has a hotel room booked in Vancouver this week...

The spectacular Living Shangri-La, $ 595 / night.

While steep, remember he's coming to Vancouver to sign a $ 40 million contract, so $ 595 / night is nothing up against $ 40 million.

He's also travelling to Seattle to be updated on prep for the season kickoff Thursday.

I'd imagine he will meet with Merritt Paulson and the Portland bid people and City Staff and try to get things smoothed over.

Don't you just get the feeling that Garber wants all this Vancouver talk to light a fire under Ottawa to get approval?
And you wonder why Sport Billy, Jonnie Monster and the rest keep red carding your sorry ass at BigSoccer. Unless you have anything to back that up, STFU!

Yalomed
03-15-2009, 08:34 AM
derby; noun
a sports competition, especially a game of football, between two teams from the same city or area

don't thank me i'm just trying to help

Toronto-Vancouver would be a geographic derby in MLS because they are the only 2 teams from the same "area" - Canada. However, a derby doesn't necessarily have to be between cross-town rivals as is evidenced in 2 major footballing nations, Italy, Spain where there is "el Clasico or el Derbi Espanyol (Barca-Real) and il Derby d'Italia (Juve-Inter)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cl%C3%A1sico
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_d%27Italia

Similarly, the commentator on Setanta yesterday for the Manure-Pool match even made reference to this match, "though not being a geographic derby, is a derby between the 2 most decorated clubs in England".

I suspect it's not just eager Canadian footy fans inclined to be liberal with the word. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything else yes?

Super Cereal
03-15-2009, 10:02 AM
youre new here so you missed the bit where i was promised by him that Ottawa was a certain expansion team, i said otherwise, arguments ensued, now im being a bit of a prick because im right (well, so far HA, unless theres any surprises)

Okay, missed that, my bad.

Calvin
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
On the Portland Timbers:

The team mascot is currently Timber Joe, the replacement for Timber Jim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_Jim) who retired in 2008, a cheerleader who wields a live chainsaw around the field, cutting off a slab of a log each time the team scores.

I would kinda want them to score so I could see that.

The Pope
03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
On the Portland Timbers:

The team mascot is currently Timber Joe, the replacement for Timber Jim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_Jim) who retired in 2008, a cheerleader who wields a live chainsaw around the field, cutting off a slab of a log each time the team scores.

I would kinda want them to score so I could see that.

9n13HRheydI

Vancouver MLS
03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm wondering if they'll also make an announcement about the Waterfront Stadium.

It'd be amazing if they announced the franchise and the new Waterfront Stadium, at least a deal with the Port for the land, in the same announcement.

TorCanSoc
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Awesome unofficial news. Can't wait, welcome kindof aboard Vancouver.

Man I feel sorry for USL1. Spend years developing a league, only to see their marquee franchises bailing.

kodiakTFC
03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I know the Portland stadium is really for baseball but if they renovate it correctly, it could be a real beauty!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I hope Portland lands a team...they have great support!....seems MLS are finally landing teams and city's who have interest in the game!.....TFC...SEATTLE..VANCOUVER..PHILLY .PORTLAND??.....MLS is on the rise!

Its great to see!

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-15-2009, 06:07 PM

it would be my choice..over Vancouver .:cool:

bhoybobby
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Bob L, is a class act & a true football pioneer. He is a knowledgeable Footie guy, who served his country well.:canada:

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm wondering if they'll also make an announcement about the Waterfront Stadium.

It'd be amazing if they announced the franchise and the new Waterfront Stadium, at least a deal with the Port for the land, in the same announcement.

Vancouver will get a SSS built in the same year as the Leafs,Jays , Raptors win their respective league @ the smae time..dont hold you breath. Why would BC build a stadium now when they get income from BC place?

Vancouver MLS
03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Our SSS would be privately financed by Kerfoot so I'm not sure where you get this "B.C. connection".

The BC Government owns BC Place. What's your point?

Bender
03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Our SSS would be privately financed by Kerfoot so I'm not sure where you get this "B.C. connection".

Thats his point. The province would lose out on money since it is privately financed.

Waggy
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Ya but if the (new) stadium and team are both privately owned, what the province wants is a moot point. Logically at least in my mind, this is a perfect time to build a smallish stadium. Vancouvers already in build mode, as such costs would be cheaper. Also it'd be one of the only things built in the next year that will actually be USED after 2010, which means the province should have a great interest in it. Besides, if they can prove (which I wouldnt know about) that interest with a SSS is higher than without, then they could show the BC government they'd make more in beer sales/parking at a SSS then gate at BC Place.

Vancouver MLS
03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Looks like we'll have to wait till Wednesday for the Press Conference. Team 1040 Vancouver says Wednesday.

Would've been nice Tuesday the 17th. Team # 17 on the 17th

Dirk Diggler
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Thats his point. The province would lose out on money since it is privately financed.

There is no correlation between any of the parties involved. The SSS proposal is dependent on the federal government since they own the land Kerfoot wants to acquire.

Vancouver MLS
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
still no notice of a press conference

I'm getting worried

Razcle
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
There is no correlation between any of the parties involved. The SSS proposal is dependent on the federal government since they own the land Kerfoot wants to acquire.

Are you sure about that. I thought Kerfoot owned the land on the water however the city or port athorities would allow the zoning change to get the stadium built. Maybe I'm wrong

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM

point being there is now no rush to get the Whitecaps the land they want for a SSS when a already built stdium is there!! it would be 100% financed by kerfoot? you don;t really believe that do you? And along with the expansion fee IF Vancouver gets a team, that would set him back
a bit in the wallet.. a SSS will not get built in Vancouver without somesort
if funding, city, provincial etc. Garber should hold off and say to Vancouver...simple no SSS..no team...no special rules for certain teams.

flatpicker
03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Garber should hold off and say to Vancouver...simple no SSS..no team...no special rules for certain teams.

somehow I don't think a SSS is a first priority for Garber.

rocker
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Garber should hold off and say to Vancouver...simple no SSS..no team...no special rules for certain teams.

then he'd have to kick out Seattle and KC.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
and new york and new england and houston and never would have considered miami

Lucky Strike
03-17-2009, 10:06 AM
and new york and new england and houston and never would have considered miami

...and San Jose would be a no-go.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
yep, them too, well said

Oldtimer
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Garber is less concerned with "soccer specific" than he is "revenue specific" (ie. that the club runs the venue). Sure he'd like SSS for everyone, but in MLS, it's money that talks.

Lucky Strike
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Extra, extra, read all about it! Garber has a reservation at the Four Seasons in downtown Vancouver for Tuesday night. An official announcement is expected at 1015 hrs PT (1315 hrs ET). Portland may also be announced.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/03/expansion-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-to-be.html

Vancouver MLS
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Johnnie Monster interview on CKNW 980 Wednesday morning at 6:10 a.m. Vancouver (9:10 a.m. Eastern)...

That adds fuel to the fire. The fire is hot now.

What we need now is gasoline on the fire

Shway
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
will Vancouver get a new logo upon expansion to the MLS?
just wondering

Yeoman
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
you know what's bad?
i might know more about this deal and what goes down on wednesday then most of you will
lets just say i happen to have a contact that'll be directly at that meeting ;)

jmorgs88
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
why is that bad, how about you find out and tell the rest of us

Vancouver MLS
03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1847

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/03/17/sp-whitecaps-expansion.html

Vancouver MLS
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah baby!!!!!! And we're Ready To Kick Torono's Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock and Roll!!!!!!! Bang the drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theprovince.com/Whitecaps+become+Major+League+Soccer+franchise+201 1/1399075/story.html

Redcoe15
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Johnnie Monster interview on CKNW 980 Wednesday morning at 6:10 a.m. Vancouver (9:10 a.m. Eastern)...

That adds fuel to the fire. The fire is hot now.

What we need now is gasoline on the fire
Jonnie Monster would like to throw you into the fire.

redcard
03-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah baby!!!!!! And we're Ready To Kick Torono's Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock and Roll!!!!!!! Bang the drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theprovince.com/Whitecaps+become+Major+League+Soccer+franchise+201 1/1399075/story.html

Who is Torono? I think TFC will kick their ass too!!! Damn Torono!!

Roogsy
03-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Denime, please merge with the other Vancouver thread and change the title.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10753

NF-FC
03-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Great news, run off and spread it on you're own board!

http://www.vancouversouthsiders.com/

RealG-TFC
03-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Who is Torono? I think TFC will kick their ass too!!! Damn Torono!!

Sounds Italian or Spanish. Maybe TFC will see them in the Champions League this year or the Club WC next year.

Kevvv
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
So, we pronounce the second T now?

Torcida
03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
365 Million in renovations!

Ho-Lee Chow!

S_D
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
It isn't official yet until the Don speaks unless the province has become the commish. And I guess when he does announce it you are going to make another thread that it is officially official?

This is getting tiring.

Oldtimer
03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Remember Vancouver MLS that you are a guest here.

Any trash talking our team is to be done on your own board, which you should be heading off to right about now.

Besides, why should we care so much about the Whitecraps? We'll find out enough ourselves, when it is reported in the Toronto Star.

You Vancouverites are so much more self-absorbed than the rest of Canada. :puke:

Roogsy
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
LOL! And they say TORONTO thinks it's the centre of the universe. ;)

Lucky Strike
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
How many unofficially official threads can there be? I won't make fun of the "Torono" thing since it's already been done though.

Pigfynn
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Vancouver MLS, you are posting too much on this board. I think you've been tolarated because if we are honest we don't really concern ourselves too much with the Whitecaps. IF and when you enter the league though you will become like any other foreign team advocate and you need to start spending time with your own (if there are many)

Good luck, well done.....Goodbye.

Oh, and as for kicking our ass....Hahaha just get in the league first then we'll talk.

JDG
03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Guys - he's been warned. If he doesn't tone it down, he now knows what will happen.

Waggy
03-17-2009, 06:07 PM
And you gotta respect the passion too. THough they may be our sworn enemies now (congrats on that btw), its still Vancouver. We can't hate them TOO much right? (Crap, I was going to be funny and use the little dude smoking a J. but now I can't find it. So imagine it.... NOW!). Exactly.

My question: Can we still chant "YOUR NOT STEVE NASH" to Martin?

Nawsh
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
And you gotta respect the passion too. THough they may be our sworn enemies now (congrats on that btw), its still Vancouver. We can't hate them TOO much right? (Crap, I was going to be funny and use the little dude smoking a J. but now I can't find it. So imagine it.... NOW!). Exactly.

My question: Can we still chant "YOUR NOT STEVE NASH" to Martin?

You've emphasized the wrong word there and the sentance is 1 word too long:

"... it's still Vancouver. We CAN'T hate them too much."

Yeoman
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
considering that nothing is showing up about mls on the southsiders or whitecaps sites, makes me wonder you know? but it has been two days since i looked on either site.

rocker
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Goff says it's a done deal

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/03/mls_destination_vancouver.html?wprss=soccerinsider

Yeoman
03-17-2009, 11:33 PM
why is that bad, how about you find out and tell the rest of us
well when the info gets passed on, i'll pass it on as well :canada:

Yalomed
03-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Well done Vancouver getting into the MLS.

Now piss off!

Rochdale
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
and they paid $35 million instead of $40 m.

Mark in Ottawa
03-19-2009, 06:26 AM
So did Steve Nash just help push his brother Martin off of the Whitecaps?
Is Martin Nash good enough to play in the MLS?

Cuz
03-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Congrats to Vancouver! It will be nice to see them competing at the pro level again! It's been a long time since the days of the NASL. Hopefully Montreal or Ottawa is next!

rocker
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
So did Steve Nash just help push his brother Martin off of the Whitecaps?
Is Martin Nash good enough to play in the MLS?

nah.. Martin Nash would be 35 years old when the Shitecaps enter MLS.
His career is just about over anyways.

but I actually wouldn't be surprised if he's an end-of-the-roster guy for the first Whitecraps MLS season, given his history with the team.... give him his retirement tour season as he moves into coaching or whatever.

Shway
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
^^no doubt he will be an assistant coach or something

TorCanSoc
03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Martin Nash from B.C., played most of his career with the Whitecaps, his brother is part owner of the team.... pretty safe to say he'll be involved in an admistrative capacity.

Alixir
03-20-2009, 05:48 PM
This is great....grats Vancouver.
Ya fookin wankas :p