PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Day In Canada

Sparta
05-27-2008, 08:25 PM
For the TFC game it starts at 12:00 noon -- Scott Russell live from BMO

here is the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccerday/

Lets get there early and do our chants -- in the parking lot -- hopefully where we will be tailgating

Leafs 92/93
05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
wow, are they actually planning to show kids soccer on tv? what a disaster

graeme117
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
For the TFC game it starts at 12:00 noon -- Scott Russell live from BMO

here is the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccerday/

Lets get there early and do our chants -- in the parking lot -- hopefully where we will be tailgating

i think the tailgate is cancelled.

Sparta
05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
cancelled for people that dont want to tailgate -- i am risking it under i get told by a cop that there is no bbq-ing -- until then, my bbq will have burgers on it

Cuchulain
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll be there with you!

TFC Cityboy
05-27-2008, 10:09 PM
see ya there

katatonic
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
kiddie show...we wanna see FOOTBALL dammit

greatwhitenorf
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Scott Russell on live at noon from BMO Field.

On a national network that got jilted as a CFL broadcaster.

No editing or takebacks possible in a live telecast.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

What a great opportunity to stage an anti-Argos, Save Our Soccer Stadium protest and have it seen by the people with whom it would register most strongly.

Have some mini-placards ready to whip out and hold up in the background that state the case concisely. When young, excitable Mr. Russell starts doing his burbling and is looking for a lively group as a backdrop, whether outside the stadium or at field side come game time, out come the placards and the chants and the message gets well and truly delivered.

Maybe the anti-tailgating enforcement and being forced to stay a bit more sober on Saturday could be worked in a positive way for soccer fans purposes.

Draracle
05-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Someone(s) should organize a football weekend in Toronto. Bring in a few clubs from around the world for a friendly exhibition over a long weekend. I bet this city would eat it up. Might also help with the slumping tourism.

SLBuu
05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
the only reason they're doing this is cuz the Galaxy are in town and the attraction of beckham. They had this planned before they knew if he was gonna show or not.

Its all just beckham media garbage.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-28-2008, 01:34 AM
[quote=greatwhitenorf;22732]Scott Russell on live at noon from BMO Field.

On a national network that got jilted as a CFL broadcaster.

No editing or takebacks possible in a live telecast.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

What a great opportunity to stage an anti-Argos, Save Our Soccer Stadium protest and have it seen by the people with whom it would register most strongly.

quote]

I thought the Argos' thing was already over with?? Both the Argos' and the Toronto Sun and Rogers Centre reported that it ain't happening????

am i wrong??

GBV
05-28-2008, 04:58 AM
wow, are they actually planning to show kids soccer on tv? what a disaster

they did same last year and it was, well, a disaster.

greatwhitenorf
05-28-2008, 09:52 AM
TFC R&W: I don't believe anything I read or hear from the Argos. Misdirection is one of the fundamentals of football.

I think the CFL is very concerned about soccer taking hold in Canada, not just in Toronto. The profit margins that exist in the CFL are very thin ones. Because of it's permanent minor-league status, the CFL has always existed on shaky ground.

If soccer works to take away just a small percentage of ticket sales, sponsor support or media coverage, the league faces an even more wobbly future.

Anything they can do to short circuit soccer's cross-Canada connection, they will do. That's why we have to take advantage of any opportunity to make a strong case to keep BMO Field soccer specific. And this is an excellent opportunity to reach a national audience on a network that the CFL jilted in favour of ongoing blowjobs from TSN.

Kevvv
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
the only reason they're doing this is cuz the Galaxy are in town and the attraction of beckham. They had this planned before they knew if he was gonna show or not.

Its all just beckham media garbage.

Beckham is the only reason they picked this weekend.

I'd guess 'Hockey day in Canada' gets good numbers - I've watched it once, and it has a certain emotional pull, good Canadian boy that I am. They're trying to emulate that success with soccer, but much as we love the game, I don't think it can do as well.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Is it just me or was this just placed on the 31st of may...just becausae they were expecting Becky here that day!

Viewers can watch the Galaxy vs TFC game with Punjabi and Mandarin commentary online at CBCSports.ca. Nigel Reed and Jason de Vos will be calling the action in English but CBC will not be broadcasting in French. CBC will not be showing Saturday night’s Canada vs Brazil game.

if they are gona do it right at leaste show your country wich also plays on this so called SOCCER DAY IN CANADA?

Only in this great country........Does your nation go up against a top 2 team in the world....and for some reason choose not to show it in its own country!!

Kevvv
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Thread is here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1090

H Bomb
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Especially when we are playing Vancouver on Canada day. CBC is an embarrassment on the whole, and this is just par for the course. At least they do the games.

werewolf
05-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I have had issues with it since it was announced. Along with the reasons above, and none of the other two pro teams are on. Wonder if they are going to an amateur match (like they do for hockey) and give the CSL some airtime....doubt it.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Especially when we are playing Vancouver on Canada day. CBC is an embarrassment on the whole, and this is just par for the course. At least they do the games.

good point!

It was all for beckham coming to TO!!...nothing more!

Leafs 92/93
05-28-2008, 06:28 PM
the whole deal with not showing canada vs. brazil is a little dissapointing as well

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2008, 06:37 PM
MERGE this PLEASE! :)

Gobi
05-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Amanda & Connie,
Saturday, May 31st is CBC Televison's "Soccer Day in Canada". Scott Russell will host the show LIVE from outside BMO Field between Gate 1 &
2 starting at 12:00 PM. There will be live music and the Freestyle team will perform.
We would love to have the supporters presence during the show, so spread the word that people are welcome to join us!

Christine Mayall
Associate Producer
CBC Sports

Too bad there's no tailgate!

Gobi
05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
My response:

Hi Christine!

I'll post it on our message board.
Unfortunately we've had to suspend/cancel our tailgate activities due to the proliferation of tickets issued for barbequeing (open flame, or somesuch charge).
The police have made it very clear that they will not tolerate peaceful congregations of supporters in any fashion.
I hope a good crowd shows up nonetheless!

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Soccer day in Canada= Beckhams day in Canada, unless he's not here and then what...I get that theis is their opportunity to spread -gulp- soccer to the greater Beckham public but wouldn't it be better served if it was back to back games of the highest quality available? show the kids alright but in between games like with HDIC. Who are Vancouver and Montreal playing? Why the hell aren't they playing each other? And before I hear the Canada game isn't in Canada when was the last Stanley cup game in Canada. They still call it HNIC.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I posted this in the International Clubs section...but nobody views it and its pretty cool so check it out

the main website is www.insidesoccer.com (http://www.insidesoccer.com/)

but here is the link to their video library! Its all streamed right from their site, so you just "click" and watch!

The have inside looks at Teams in Brazil, Footy Culture in Rio De Janeiro
They have docs on Helping out Footy in Africa...Its all quality stuff!!

http://www.insidesoccer.com/love_it/...rary/2055/3049 (http://www.insidesoccer.com/love_it/watch/video_library/2055/3049)

Check out the video library, i'm enjoying it right now...:)

sully
05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
wow, are they actually planning to show kids soccer on tv?

...and not the Canada V Brazil game...:lol:

Northern Soul
05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
My response:

Hi Christine!

I'll post it on our message board.
Unfortunately we've had to suspend/cancel our tailgate activities due to the proliferation of tickets issued for barbequeing (open flame, or somesuch charge).
The police have made it very clear that they will not tolerate peaceful congregations of supporters in any fashion.
I hope a good crowd shows up nonetheless!

Great response. Hopefully that will get them thinking. Probably not, though. :(

Technorgasm
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
CBC will not be showing Saturday night’s Canada vs Brazil game. !

WHO WILL THEN?!

please tell me that some bright Canadian broadcaster JUMPED at the chance to show a Game of this importance.

greatwhitenorf
05-29-2008, 02:17 PM
You guys are getting improperly worked up about secondary issues.

Showing kids soccer on SDIC? Why not, they show kids hockey on HDIC. And there were 867,869 registered players in this country in 2007, 84% of who are under the age of 16. I would bet most TFC fans are OK with that, especially those of us who raise their kids to play soccer.

Never mind about Beckham or not showing Canada's nats on TV or the other Canadian teams. Secondary issues in the big scheme of things.

The tailgating issue? Well, that's an important issue that isn't going to be resolved on this board or on this topic or over this weekend. In fact, the wrong attitudes this weekend could serve to make things worse.

Why not focus on what this day and this telecast really offer. And that's an unmatched opportunity to get the No-Argos-At-BMO, Save-Our-Soccer-Specific-Stadium message out on a fully national telecast that the CBC will probably be sympathetic towards since the CBC was dumped recently by the CFL.

Grow up, get organized(quickly) and git 'er done. There's a lot to gain here.

Mrs. Workie
05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Is it just me or was this just placed on the 31st of may...just becausae they were expecting Becky here that day!

Viewers can watch the Galaxy vs TFC game with Punjabi and Mandarin commentary online at CBCSports.ca. Nigel Reed and Jason de Vos will be calling the action in English but CBC will not be broadcasting in French. CBC will not be showing Saturday night’s Canada vs Brazil game.

if they are gona do it right at leaste show your country wich also plays on this so called SOCCER DAY IN CANADA?

Only in this great country........Does your nation go up against a top 2 team in the world....and for some reason choose not to show it in its own country!!

Amen to that!

There's really nothing left to say.

Mrs. Workie
05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Amanda & Connie,
Saturday, May 31st is CBC Televison's "Soccer Day in Canada". Scott Russell will host the show LIVE from outside BMO Field between Gate 1 &
2 starting at 12:00 PM. There will be live music and the Freestyle team will perform.
We would love to have the supporters presence during the show, so spread the word that people are welcome to join us!

Christine Mayall
Associate Producer
CBC Sports

See, I have a problem with this. So many times camera crews have come over to us (home and away), and said- do a chant for the camera!

No, you don't force it. If they want to experience the supporters atmosphere, set up in front of 113/112, or get them in the section. I hate the manufactured "support" they think they can get from us. Just like those "300 style" BMO ads. All it really does is make a mockery of us.