PDA

View Full Version : Montero overrated?

jloome
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I've been watching videos of Fredy Montero and it seems he flourishes when he can create space to shoot.

But given that his only pro experience has been in Colombia -- certainly not a bad league but no world beater -- I wonder if a guy that small is going to be able to dispy-doodle around MLS defences with such ease, or if they'll just knock him around like a toy.

Maybe having Jacqua as a target man to hold up the ball and dish to him will relieve some of that pressure. But is anyone here buying this "best player in league history" hype on some of the chat boards?

12 goals. That's my bet. I don't think he'll win the scoring title, just be a respectable striker at this level.

Shaughno
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
If he stays healthy, I can see him bagging a few. Haven't seen enough to really judge though.

Lucky Strike
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Well he has scored 9 goals in 9 pre-season games. Even if he maintains half of that pace (because pre-season matches aren't always as tough), he's good to score 15. That's typically good enough for top 5 in the league. I never thought he was the next Messi or anything, just that he's going to perform very well in MLS.

Pachuco
03-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I haven't seen him referred to as best player in league history, but I don't visit other boards. He is however, the best young talent we've had come to the MLS from abroad.

If he scored 12 goals this year, he'd be much more then a respectable striker. After all, he's 21 and it's his rookie year. He too, like everyone else will need time to assimilate to this league, and heck, he still has some growing and learning to do.

rocker
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
hey, if Edson Buddle can go from scoring almost nothing one year to being a league leader the next, then it's not impossible that Montero could be up there at the top.
But the guy hasn't proven anything, and Seattle isn't exactly deep up front or at the back. They'll have defensive problems, leading to fewer time going forward, and up front he'll be the target of the opposition's scouting reports. Shut him down, and you may just shut down Seattle's offense completely. He's not gonna have it easy. I could see 8-10 goals. Preseason goal records are meaningless to me, as not all the teams were MLS quality or in MLS shape.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I've been watching videos of Fredy Montero and it seems he flourishes when he can create space to shoot.

But given that his only pro experience has been in Colombia -- certainly not a bad league but no world beater -- I wonder if a guy that small is going to be able to dispy-doodle around MLS defences with such ease, or if they'll just knock him around like a toy.

its defintley an mls beater ;) He will rip this league a new asshole the MLS is lacking far behind the 2nd best league in south america.....

"
After being the golden boot winner with Atlético Huila (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atl%C3%A9tico_Huila) and despite rumors and interest from European clubs, he returned to Deportivo Cali (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Cali) where he is currently again the top scorer in Colombia. Montero has scored 20 goals in 38 games for Deportivo Cali, more than one every other game.
Montero was acquired by the Sounders in January of 2009 from Deportivo Cali, despite interest from Spanish side Real Betis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Betis).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredy_Montero#cite_note-0) So far, in nine preseason games, Montero has tallied nine goals."

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
hey, if Edson Buddle can go from scoring almost nothing one year to being a league leader the next, then it's not impossible that Montero could be up there at the top.
But the guy hasn't proven anything, and Seattle isn't exactly deep up front or at the back. They'll have defensive problems, leading to fewer time going forward, and up front he'll be the target of the opposition's scouting reports. Shut him down, and you may just shut down Seattle's offense completely. He's not gonna have it easy. I could see 8-10 goals. Preseason goal records are meaningless to me, as not all the teams were MLS quality or in MLS shape.

do you think the MLS is better than the colombian league ?:eek::D HAHAHAHAH stand up footy comedy? He won the golden boot in the second best league south america at what 18? you guys make me laugh..

Bobo
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Not when he plays our defense. He may have a goal-to-game ratio well over 1 by the time our home opener is done...

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Not when he plays our defense. He may have a goal-to-game ratio well over 1 by the time our home opener is done...

hahaha shhh let him work out his contract dispute in colombia and come back after the match :canada:

rocker
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
you guys make me laugh..

you're betting on a 21 year old who's never played in the league to rip the league a new asshole?
When was the last time that happened?

you think he's gonna score all those goals by himself?
you think Seattle has a good team to provide him the support he needs to score goals?

I made a well-reasoned post above as to why I don't think he'll do as well as people say.
If you disagree, fine. Don't be an asshole about it though.

MLS is known as a very different league than the Colombian league. It's got nothing to do with skill.
MLS is a more physical league. He'll be a target of opposition teams once the scouting starts.
"Stop Montero" will be the mantra.

Take Montero out of the game, and Seattle has very little else to compensate.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
nah , but when you have a wunderkid fed by ljundberg ....... there will be goals. ;)

Yohan
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Not if Ianni, Sturgis play up to their potential. Their CB Hurtado apparently was good enough to get scouted by AC Milan.
Plus Keller in net.

And Sigi. He's not that bad of a coach.

On paper, Sounders look like a pretty decent team. Though on paper could mean nothing when game time comes

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
you only said it because he is from south america ...... it has everything to do with skill wtf hahaha his skill is the reason why he will score all the goals , you just said itn you only think he will do bad because of where he is from ....

rocker
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Not if Ianni, Sturgis play up to their potential. Their CB Hurtado apparently was good enough to get scouted by AC Milan.
Plus Keller in net.

On paper, Sounders look like a pretty decent team. Though on paper could mean nothing when game time comes

you've listed barely half of a starting 11. but take a look at who they have beyond the top 6-7 guys, and it's pretty weak. all castoffs and bums who couldn't succeed anywhere else. I think we learned from TFC that you need more than 6-7 decent starters.

I'm predicting Seattle will finish in the bottom 4.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Plus Keller in net.

oh yeah and Hurtado playes for the colombian national team ...... yeah ranked what 18th in the world?? he has plays against the best national teams from south america regularly....:drinking:

Pachuco
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
you're betting on a 21 year old who's never played in the league to rip the league a new asshole?

you think Seattle has a good team to provide him the support he needs to score goals?

I made a well-reasoned post above as to why I don't think he'll do as well as people say.

MLS is known as a very different league than the Colombian league. It's got nothing to do with skill.
MLS is a more physical league. He'll be a target of opposition teams once the scouting starts.

I Agree and disagree :)

He won't be leading the scoring title on an expansion team when he's 21. However, he will have an impact. And remember, Seattle may not be the Columbus Crew, but Montero doesn't have much competition in the league when it comes to defenders. Any team can say STOP Montero, that doesn't mean they will. Think about it, who the hell in our back 4 is skilled enough to mark a guy like this 1 on 1? no one. Oh, and he's in the same division as the Galaxy :)

rocker
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
nah , but when you have a wunderkid fed by ljundberg ....... there will be goals. ;)

when's Ljunberg actually gonna start? he's still rehabbin.

Is he gonna be as successful in MLS as Becks??? ;)

twistedchinaman
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Plus, how much time has the team had to gel together? That plays a huge factor as well...remember people, this is still a first year team but with a lot of big names. The first half of that sentence is a strong overrider of the second half.

rocker
03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I Agree and disagree :)

He won't be leading the scoring title on an expansion team when he's 21. However, he will have an impact. And remember, Seattle may not be the Columbus Crew, but Montero doesn't have much competition in the league when it comes to defenders. Any team can say STOP Montero, that doesn't mean they will. Think about it, who the hell in our back 4 is skilled enough to mark a guy like this 1 on 1? no one. Oh, and he's in the same division as the Galaxy :)

But some people in this thread are implying he will be leading the scoring title ;)

I said he'll score 8-10 goals. That's a nice total.

But Seattle has Tyrone Marshall and a bunch of stiffs on defense. How is Marshall gonna deal with De Ro and Vitti and Barrett?? ;)

Montero won't have much opportunity to score when the Red Arrows are running back up field :)

Lucky Strike
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Don't worry about him too much. There's a group of posters like him who fancy themselves Internet tough guys. There's an old Welsh proverb: "It's easy being brave behind a castle wall."

I happen to disagree with you in that I do think Montero will be very good, I have him pegged at about 14-15 goals while you at 8-10. But I'm not going to talk down to you because of it.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 04:56 PM
you've listed barely half of a starting 11. but take a look at who they have beyond the top 6-7 guys, and it's pretty weak. all castoffs and bums who couldn't succeed anywhere else. I think we learned from TFC that you need more than 6-7 decent starters.

who the fuck still plays for us .... cmon man...

when your prediction is proved wrong i will make a nice big ass post showing you what an ***** you really are ;):yum:

RealG-TFC
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
[quote=StandUpIfYouHateChelsea;420382]its defintley an mls beater ;) He will rip this league a new asshole the MLS is lacking far behind the 2nd best league in south america.....
/quote]

Uhmmm I always though Brazil's was first, followed by Argentina.

Yohan
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Ok. Let's look at Sounders roster right now

GK - Keller
-Former USMNT plus tons of EPL exp. Old and havent had much game experience in a while, but shouldnt affect him starting in net for Sounders

Defence -Ianni, Sturgis, Wahl, Marshall, Hurtardo
-Ianni, Sturgis and Wahl have shown potential in the past, but failed to stick to other MLS teams. Also had injury problems. However, Schmid has experience coaching young talents and probably will get a lot of these guys.
Marshall is a veteran presence for mentoring the young guys and Hurtado is highly rated talent from Columbia to anchor the backline
Plus few of their best defenders from the USL Sounder squad for depth

Midfield - Ljungberg, Vagenas, Alonso, Nyassi, Evans
-A lot will depend on Ljungberg staying healthy and deliver, but Vagenas and Alonso (who apparently was one of best players in USL) should hold the center mid and Nyassi and Ljungberg does business on flanks. Evans from Columbus provide some depth and additional attacking mid options

Forward - Montero, Jaqua, Zakuani, Le Toux
-I expect Montero to be up front with Le Toux (who lit up USL last 2 yrs) to be secondary option and if both meet the hype, have potential to be dangerous. Former Arsenal youth product Zakuani has speed to burn and has potential and is good for depth, as well Jaqua who can put the ball in the net as well.

Section 117
03-17-2009, 05:29 PM

If Beckham was setting me up I could lead the MLS in scoring :hump:

gtaguy
03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
this kid will bag atleast 12 goals this year but don't forget how many more assists he will also have. I am from colombia and i have seen this kid play and he's no slouch and his tenacity to be creative on the field makes him a real good player.. As for the colombian league where he plays you'd be surprised as to how many defenders he has beat alone on his speed.. Don't forget if your not in the epl la liga or spains futbol league we are all feeder leagues . His reluctance initially to sign with seattle was because he had something pending in europe , which im sure that he was told to play a season or two in the mls for more exposure and then eventually end up in europe.. seattle is definetely a serious threat with the squad they built this year and i hope that our defenders are ready to take montero and seattle serious.. Watch the red cards guys.. montero is easily one of the best in causing defenders to foul him....

jloome
03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Don't worry about him too much. There's a group of posters like him who fancy themselves Internet tough guys. There's an old Welsh proverb: "It's easy being brave behind a castle wall."

I happen to disagree with you in that I do think Montero will be very good, I have him pegged at about 14-15 goals while you at 8-10. But I'm not going to talk down to you because of it.

Juan Carlos Osorio was of the same opinion, that he depends on space in the box to finish (from Soccer by IVes):

"Most of his goals come from combination play and from his ability to have one or two touches inside the box," Osorio said of Montero, who scored 13 goals in 26 appearances for Atletico Huila . "He's good as far as his ball control and his first touch is very good. I don't think that he will catch us by surprise."

MLS may not be on the skill level of Colombia, but there aren't many defense in this league that are going to give a striker one or two touches in the box; MLS defenses are (usually) predicated on size and strengh. And those nine in preason mean zip, zero, nada, unless everyone's playing at full gate, which is unlikely.

jloome
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
[quote=StandUpIfYouHateChelsea;420382]its defintley an mls beater ;) He will rip this league a new asshole the MLS is lacking far behind the 2nd best league in south america.....
/quote]

The Colombian league is regularly on Gol, and I've yet to see anything that makes it miles ahead of MLS. More technical ability but as many issues with the mental aspects - positioning, heart, fitness etc -as MLS, easily.

And it isn't a patch -- not a fucking sniff -- on Brazil and Argentina. So anyone ranking it second is kidding themselves.

For those impressed by Betis scouting him, keep in mind that for every kid from the west a Euro teams signed, about 200 get scouted. It means bupkus.

The test is how he plays. He certainly looks like a hot striker in the vids, but to translate that into leading a new league, in a new style, in a new nation, is a bit much.

gtaguy
03-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Juan Carlos Osorio was of the same opinion, that he depends on space in the box to finish (from Soccer by IVes):

"Most of his goals come from combination play and from his ability to have one or two touches inside the box," Osorio said of Montero, who scored 13 goals in 26 appearances for Atletico Huila . "He's good as far as his ball control and his first touch is very good. I don't think that he will catch us by surprise."

MLS may not be on the skill level of Colombia, but there aren't many defense in this league that are going to give a striker one or two touches in the box; MLS defenses are (usually) predicated on size and strengh. And those nine in preason mean zip, zero, nada, unless everyone's playing at full gate, which is unlikely.

i guess the real test will be thursday.. I'm actually rooting for seattle.. the redbulls are shite....

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 06:12 PM
i guess the real test will be thursday.. I'm actually rooting for seattle.. the redbulls are shite....
who is brodcasting this game ? fsw? or on the net?? golt tv anyone?>?:canada:

gtaguy
03-17-2009, 06:16 PM
who is brodcasting this game ? fsw? or on the net?? golt tv anyone?>?:canada:

I think you might have to catch it over p2p .. i was told it was espn2 on the sat,,

heres a link but they won't publish anything till thursday..
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=33577&part=sports

Lucky Strike
03-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Agreed, which is why I cut his strike in half when making my prediction for the season. I was always aware that it's a difficult argument to make based solely on pre-season matches because as you said, they're not as tough to play in. Regardless, I hope my estimate is more accurate: I've got in for my fantasy team. :D

As for the Columbian league, I have no idea what it's like; I've never seen it so I can't estimate based on that.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
hey Rocker you efin tool who told you Montero would light up the MLS ... doosh

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-19-2009, 10:18 PM
2 goals and one assist you are all fools for thinking he was bad....

zeelaw
03-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Man this guys the real deal!

jloome
03-19-2009, 10:29 PM

No dude, you're a fool for suggesting anyone thought he was bad. Asking whether he might be overrated is not the same as declaring he is, and it's miles from suggesting he's "bad."

TorontoBlades
03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I still think he shit.

DigzTFC!
03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
The Colombian league is the third best league in South America.

1) Brazil
2) Argentina
3) Colombia

Its not a physical as MLS but from a technical side its probably more highly skilled. The issue is the style of play which is direct and slower. You'll see 3 guys on a team run at once and the others are just trotting a long. Its not as team oriented in defending and attacking. Mind you, this is my opinion and I'm sure some would disagree. One for one on a Colombian roster their teams are more skilled technically, but a lot of Colombian players can't handle the physicality and work within a more structured system.

A guy like Montero is just wierd to have in the MLS. He should be playing in Spain and I have no idea how they pulled this off.

Pachuco
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
No dude, you're a fool for suggesting anyone thought he was bad. Asking whether he might be overrated is not the same as declaring he is, and it's miles from suggesting he's "bad."

Ammmm..Montero just made this thread the worst thread of 2009, thank you, bye bye!!!!

Pachuco
03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
But some people in this thread are implying he will be leading the scoring title ;)

I said he'll score 8-10 goals. That's a nice total.

But Seattle has Tyrone Marshall and a bunch of stiffs on defense. How is Marshall gonna deal with De Ro and Vitti and Barrett?? ;)

Montero won't have much opportunity to score when the Red Arrows are running back up field :)

You should all be questioning why Tyrone is not on this team. He and the rest of the defenders made Juan Pablo look like the doves that were swallowed up by the hawks in Seattle. As bhoyboy whatever his name is says, someone remind me why we got rid of Marshall again?

Can't wait to see Velez and Harmse defend against Montero, Zakuani, Jacqua and Nyassi. that should be interesting.

london_tfc_fan
03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
seattle is definetely a serious threat with the squad they built this year and i hope that our defenders are ready to take montero and seattle serious.. Watch the red cards guys.. montero is easily one of the best in causing defenders to foul him....

does that mean he is the typical south american and he dives or is he actually not a little bitch??! seriously i think hes like 5'10" and that the Canadians will frighten his latino ass! with that said i havent watched enough but i can tell u now nothing is more frustrating than being berated by hockey and american football fans about diving in this sport

loconet
03-19-2009, 10:52 PM
You should all be questioning why Tyrone is not on this team. He and the rest of the defenders made Juan Pablo look like the doves that were swallowed up by the hawks in Seattle. As bhoyboy whatever his name is says, someone remind me why we got rid of Marshall again?

Because he wasn't working for us. I don't care what he did tonight. I saw him tonight and played well. However, I do remember him being less than average when I saw him play for us. IMO getting rid of him was the right move. It doesn't mean he can't perform better somewhere else. Maybe it's JC's fault, who knows. Point is, Marshall was not good here. Might pull a cunty. Shit, here, moves and does well.

Pachuco
03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
does that mean he is the typical south american and he dives or is he actually not a little bitch??! seriously i think hes like 5'10" and that the Canadians will frighten his latino ass! with that said i havent watched enough but i can tell u now nothing is more frustrating than being berated by hockey and american football fans about diving in this sport

He's a bit of a bitch. Kinda like Guevara. Didn't see him dive once, but he does cry alot when he gets fouled. Which, could lead to alot of yellows and red cards in this league.

Pachuco
03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Because he wasn't working for us. I don't care what he did tonight. I saw him tonight and played well. However, I do remember him being less than average when I saw him play for us. IMO getting rid of him was the right move. It doesn't mean he can't perform better somewhere else. Maybe it's JC's fault, who knows. Point is, Marshall was not good here. Might pull a cunty. Shit, here, moves and does well.

Yeah right. The fact that Cunty sucked here is unanymous. However, that Marshall was shit for us is just your opinion and some other people on this board. I would challenge that the general opinion is that he was a solid defender here.

loconet
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
^^ didn't mean he was complete "shit" (unlike Cunty), just not working out here.

... is just your opinion and some other people on this board....

and TFC's coaching staff as well apparently.

london_tfc_fan
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
He's a bit of a bitch. Kinda like Guevara. Didn't see him dive once, but he does cry alot when he gets fouled. Which, could lead to alot of yellows and red cards in this league.

heres hoping because i think thats the one thing holding soccer back in North America especially when the major sports happen to be football in the states and good ol puck here in Canada

Pachuco
03-19-2009, 11:11 PM
^^ didn't mean he was complete "shit" (unlike Cunty), just not working out here.

and TFC's coaching staff as well apparently.

Coaching staffs make bad moves all the time. Unfortunately, I suspect this one is going to hurt.

By the way, it's no coincidence that Marshall got traded and the next day we hear a CB that was supposed to sign with us jumped ship. Mo made his move too early, and I bet he would love to have Serioux and Marshall in the middle right now.

boban
03-19-2009, 11:15 PM
hey Rocker you efin tool who told you Montero would light up the MLS ... doosh

Can't wait to see Velez and Harmse defend against Montero, Zakuani, Jacqua and Nyassi. that should be interesting.

Why are you guys even worried about what he says?
he's proven time and again of his ineptitude to grasp this game.

You have an opinion. Stick with it. As you are entitled to it.

ohmar21
03-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Actualy, Velez stoped Angel in his goal game on ESPN2. But not to many posters here like to point out his good games.

ExiledRed
03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Why are you guys even worried about what he says?
he's proven time and again of his ineptitude to grasp this game.

Are you talking about Bhoybobby? Because if you are, you're obviously not as clever as you pretend. I like to think I know my football, but BB has forgotten more about the game than you and I will ever learn.

Yohan
03-20-2009, 12:06 AM
so far, i look like a genius for picking Montero and Le Toux for my fantasy team:D

Dirk Diggler
03-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Are you talking about Bhoybobby? Because if you are, you're obviously not as clever as you pretend. I like to think I know my football, but BB has forgotten more about the game than you and I will ever learn.

I think he was referring to rocker.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Montero is definitely a beast, hes tenacious as hell and has a sense of the game that a ton of 21 year olds dont in this league, that being said im curious to see him against a better defense (New Yorks is obviously shit, i dont think that even with the missing players they would have made a difference having watched some of the game).

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-20-2009, 01:35 AM
/quote]

anyone who knows footy knows Brazil is not the best leagues , for the one simple fact they have too many , too many players too many leagues it dulls down the quality a lot:hump:

Shakes McQueen
03-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Montero looked good tonight, but the Red Bulls defense also looked plain awful. It's not hard to look exceptional, when you're up against a set of flesh-tone traffic cones.

As for Marshall, he didn't face much in the way of anything tonight. Angel had terrible service all night.

I think Montero and Nyassi looked like the real deal, but I will reserve my rush to judgment until we are several games into the season, the emotional-high from the inaugural home season game has worn off, and Seattle are playing a stingier defense than the sad sacks they were up against today.

Ives had a good point in his commentary - this was not New York's starting team. Albert Celades, Alfredo Pacheco, Khano Smith, and Carlos Johnson were all absent. Couple that with playing an away game on the other side of the country, and playing in front of an incredibly loud and intimidating crowd, and you have a recipe for disaster.

For tonight though... goddamn was it fun watching the Energy Drinks getting systematically dismantled like that.

- Scott

VPjr
03-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Montero = 16 goals this season if he plays a minimum of 25 games. The kid is for real.

And whoever is worried about him being "too small" for big bad MLS simply doesn't get it. His Skill is the great equalizer and his smarts and agility will set him apart from the incredibly stiff forwards that populate MLS (can you say Chad Barrett). I hope he does whatever he has to do to create space for himself out there. If the refs do their jobs and actually call fouls when they are committed, he'll be a force in this league (before he jumps to a bigger league in a season or two)

Also, Marshall should never have been let go. the idea that Harmse (perhaps the worst player on our team, worse than even Velez) might get the start at CB when we could have had Marshall is disturbing to me. Marshall looked bad many times last year because he had to do two jobs alot of nights. Playing alongside Velez will make anyone look bad. Having guys like Brennan and Wynne at RB and LB doesn't help either (neither of those two guys will ever be confused for great defenders, although Wynne has improved immensely)

Shakes McQueen
03-20-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm pretty interested to see who this new CB is, that we are on the verge of apparently bringing in.

I think Velez is worse than Marshall, but I think both of them were terrible.

A center-back core being run by Serioux could be fine, however. With that said, I still think Harmse looked better as a CB than either Velez or Marshall, minus the really bad fouls he committed. I don't get why everyone is suddenly wearing the rose coloured glasses when it comes to Tyrone Marshall. Putting it all on Velez is ridiculously simplistic, and just plain not true.

I can think of three late goals that Marshall specifically failed to clear out of the box, and several more where he let players free on breakaways. Velez was just as bad.

At the end of the day, all we did was essentially swap Serioux for Marshall. How is that a net loss for the club?

- Scott

denime
03-20-2009, 06:01 AM

Really,hmmmm

I can't wait how Marashal,Hurtado,and Riley will defend against Dwayne De Rosario,Amado Guevara,Pablo Vitti,Chad Barrett and Rohan Ricketts.

NYRBareshite did not challenged Seattle defense twice in the whole game,so to say they have better defense than TFC is troling so plase stop being a :troll:. :D

Ossington Mental Youth
03-20-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm pretty interested to see who this new CB is, that we are on the verge of apparently bringing in.

I think Velez is worse than Marshall, but I think both of them were terrible.

A center-back core being run by Serioux could be fine, however. With that said, I still think Harmse looked better as a CB than either Velez or Marshall, minus the really bad fouls he committed. I don't get why everyone is suddenly wearing the rose coloured glasses when it comes to Tyrone Marshall. Putting it all on Velez is ridiculously simplistic, and just plain not true.

I can think of three late goals that Marshall specifically failed to clear out of the box, and several more where he let players free on breakaways. Velez was just as bad.

At the end of the day, all we did was essentially swap Serioux for Marshall. How is that a net loss for the club?

- Scott

people just like crying about everything, Marshall was ok but aging and had been caught out of position, it was definitely not a big loss to see him leave for Seattle. People will change their tune later on in the season for sure, wait until Seattle faces an organized team

TFC_Possessed
03-20-2009, 06:39 AM
If this kid keeps playing like this he will def. be up there as top goal scorer and even player....hard worker...fast and his ball skills are something else..

Dudebroguy
03-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Montero looked really sharp last night. That being said it was the FIRST game. See how he does after ten games or so.

Mark in Ottawa
03-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Montero looked really sharp last night. That being said it was the FIRST game. See how he does after ten games or so.
Has he ever played outside in Toronto in April? :D

After a fast start he will attract his share of defensive attention and probably more than a few knocks along the way.

Yohan
03-20-2009, 08:08 AM

After a fast start he will attract his share of defensive attention and probably more than a few knocks along the way.
this opens up more space for other guys on his team. And Seattle has few guys who can put the ball in the net.
Plus having to worry about whatever Ljungberg is doing

loconet
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM

I hope it snows.

TorontoBlades
03-20-2009, 08:19 AM
The first game of the season means nothing really. A team with an aging core like NYRB will take a few games to get their feet under them.

Comparing how a player will do based on a perceived ranking of a league is just about the silliest thing I've ever heard. How many times have you seen players go from Serie A to the EPL and visa versa and completely fall flat on ther face...I could count too many of them. The style of play will be much different for him, we'll see how he does once he gets a couple of games under him and teams scout him a little bit...I'll reserve judgement until the dog days of summer....nah, actually he's still shit, and bright green I-ate-too-much-cyber-slime piece of shit to boot

Pachuco
03-20-2009, 09:16 AM
All I'm reading here are excuses for why Seattle won. The first team we put out in Game 1 of our first season wouldn't have beat a 7 year old girls scout soccer team.

Why some of you can't just admit that they have done well in selecting their team is beyond me. Why some of you can't admit that a player who scored 9 goals in 9 Preseason games, PLUS 2 goals and 1 beatifull assist in his first MLS game ever is a great prospect is beyond me.

You are all way to biased to see what actually happened last night. Seattle was defending from the midfield down. They were all over them, NEVER allowed Angel to turn and breaking up passess all over the place. THAT'S why they won, not because NY were shite. THEY MADE NY LOOK LIKE SHIT. They deserve credit. They are in the west and they did us alot of good by beating an east coast team, so what the hell is the beef? I know, you hate to admit that an expansion team can actually be put together with quality, simply because Toronto couldn't do it their first 2 years. I for one, am happy they are in this league and would like to see them do well.

SoccMan
03-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I know it seems most of you out here don't want to beleive it, however, we are in desperate need of a center back and possibly another wide defender. I'm certain TFC is working on something as we speak, however, the sooner the better. I'm just upset that something was not done sooner, someone was not signed before the season starts. I just hope that what we got back there now will be ok and will do until someone is signed. I don't understand why a Marshall could not have been kept until someone better was signed. I think a Marshall and Serioux in the center back positions together would have been fine until a new player was signed.

trane
03-20-2009, 09:38 AM
^ Pachuco,

I agree and while it is only one game, if Seatle continues performing, I think it puts into question that Mo has done with the team, particullarly in the first season. I am sure we all remember the goaless/winless streak.

Again it is too early but if Seatle is succesfull Mo's ability as a General Manager will be impugned.

JonO
03-20-2009, 09:45 AM
^ The circumstances were not the same. There was a solid basis to work with in Seattle in terms of the existing infratructure of the USL team. TFC was starting from scratch. TFC also had a Canadian player restriction that Seattle does not have (remember - we were even more limited in the first season than we are now). That being said, Mo should have done a better job with the first year, but its an apples to oranges comparison...

What was this thread about again?

ExiledRed
03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
^^The thread was about how a guy who scored a brace on his debut for a team that was also making it's debut, is overrated.

trane
03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Jon,

yes, there were differences, and it is early, but still this is not a favourable resutl in terms of our first year, no matter how you slice it. Ultimately he will be judge on this year. I just hope that we are ready to pull the trigger sooner rather then later this time around.

I particullarly agree, that having an exisiting system is an advantage, that is why I think that Montreal would have been succesfull quickly in the MLS, as should Vancouver.

JonO
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
But I don't care how they do compared to our first year. I only care about how we do this year. Nothing we can do about the past except learn from it...

As for Montero, although it's still too early to tell, he's off to a good start. Doesn't make a difference how shite the bulls were, he scored two and set up another. Obviously I hope that he turns out to be overrated, but not based on this week's performace...

trane
03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
^ Niether do I, however, Mo has made excusise from day one, some of the valid, but all I am saying no more excuses, we win this year, not the league, but a winning recrod, or he has to be out.

James17930
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
^ Niether do I, however, Mo has made excusise from day one, some of the valid, but all I am saying no more excuses, we win this year, not the league, but a winning recrod, or he has to be out.

Yes -- and I think everyone knows and agrees with that.

If they don't they're silly.

Also, I think the only question is -- will Montero be gone to Europe after one year or two?

Shakes McQueen
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
All I'm reading here are excuses for why Seattle won. The first team we put out in Game 1 of our first season wouldn't have beat a 7 year old girls scout soccer team.

Why some of you can't just admit that they have done well in selecting their team is beyond me. Why some of you can't admit that a player who scored 9 goals in 9 Preseason games, PLUS 2 goals and 1 beatifull assist in his first MLS game ever is a great prospect is beyond me.

You are all way to biased to see what actually happened last night. Seattle was defending from the midfield down. They were all over them, NEVER allowed Angel to turn and breaking up passess all over the place. THAT'S why they won, not because NY were shite. THEY MADE NY LOOK LIKE SHIT. They deserve credit. They are in the west and they did us alot of good by beating an east coast team, so what the hell is the beef? I know, you hate to admit that an expansion team can actually be put together with quality, simply because Toronto couldn't do it their first 2 years. I for one, am happy they are in this league and would like to see them do well.

No one is taking anything away from Seattle. I was glad to see them win.

All people are pointing out, is that it was one win. Seattle had as successful of a pre-season as we did, as far as results go, and yet everyone here is already getting pessimistic about our chances.

I'm glad Seattle is having a less painful first year so far, than we had - but what does that have to do with anything? Great, good for them. Completely irrelevant. We aren't in our first year anymore, and we have a pretty great team ourselves now (at least on paper).

Some folks here spend far too much time "coveting" what other teams have. New york get's a nice new stadium? "Oh, why can't MLSE give us a stadium like that?" Some team get's a good international prospect like Montero? "What the hell is Mo doing?! Why isn't he in South America?!" Seattle get's a win in their first match? "Man, our first-year team was awful. This is how it's done!". It get's tiresome. (Not necessarily accusing you of this part, Pachuco)

I consider myself a "realist". If the Reds underperform this season, I think one of, or both JC and Mo need to be sacked, depending on the circumstances. I just don't have my head up my ass in negativity, like some others do (Giambac being an illustrative example).

This was a great result for Seattle, but I'm not going to crown their ass until they have won more than one real game.

I was personally just thrilled to see New York get killed by an expansion side.

- Scott

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Really,hmmmm

I can't wait how Marashal,Hurtado,and Riley will defend against Dwayne De Rosario,Amado Guevara,Pablo Vitti,Chad Barrett and Rohan Ricketts.

NYRBareshite did not challenged Seattle defense twice in the whole game,so to say they have better defense than TFC is troling so plase stop being a :troll:. :D
Barett? honestly? thats amusing ........ barett should have had 20 goals last season, he just cant finish Pablo vitti will thrive here with the service , i say put out dichio , when dichio is out FLANK FLANK FLANK cram the box , the big guy will get it done, also look for serioux to get around 5 goals off headers this year..... he is a beast our team is pound for pound the most solid attacking team in the mls we have all attacking options coverd.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-21-2009, 01:04 PM
^ The circumstances were not the same. There was a solid basis to work with in Seattle in terms of the existing infratructure of the USL team. TFC was starting from scratch. TFC also had a Canadian player restriction that Seattle does not have (remember - we were even more limited in the first season than we are now). That being said, Mo should have done a better job with the first year, but its an apples to oranges comparison...

What was this thread about again?

dont forget that , they played there first game at home ....... we didnt did we ?? they fed off the atmosphere.... :noidea:

ccopela
03-21-2009, 01:52 PM
dont forget that , they played there first game at home ....... we didnt did we ?? they fed off the atmosphere.... :noidea:

We didn't win our first home game either though.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Stand up, you are running for Giambac of 2009
Nothing wrong with criticizing when its due (and its due with this team) but dude, pick your fights please

Dunkers
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
i thnk its clear now, that Montero is the MOST UNDERRATED player in the MLS. 9 goals in 9 pre-season games, 2 goals and an assist in the opener, and he makes $150,000. Lets see, would anyone here be apposed to trading Greg Sutton, OR Rohan Rickets?

Not to mention he was won the golden boot in 2, yes 2 other leauges in south america, oh yeah, and he is 21.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-21-2009, 03:27 PM
i thnk its clear now, that Montero is the MOST UNDERRATED player in the MLS. 9 goals in 9 pre-season games, 2 goals and an assist in the opener, and he makes $150,000. Lets see, would anyone here be apposed to trading Greg Sutton, OR Rohan Rickets?

Not to mention he was won the golden boot in 2, yes 2 other leauges in south america, oh yeah, and he is 21.

thats what im saying, but hey the Hate Train Seems to travel west than south.....

dannyd
03-21-2009, 04:45 PM

I would trade both plus our whole back line for Montero lol...

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I would trade both plus our whole back line for Montero lol...

well i dont think we would need one with that attack...... honestly we should sign him as a dp , imagine that attack? vitti and montero up front , with de ro guevara, ricketts , robinson =)