PDA

View Full Version : TFC on Fan590 Confirmed

ChrisLav
03-17-2009, 12:32 PM
As rumored by others, Fan590 confirmed that they'll be doing the games on the radio this year. Half the season will be live on the radio, the other half will be online.

Dan Dunleavy, lead play-by-play guy. Bob Irarcusi (spelled that wrong), will do the color for the games

Currently on the radio right now.

arbogast
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Excellent.

I'm sure people here will rip on the decision to have Iarusci on the broadcasts, but I think it's great that a guy with his pedigree and dedication to Canadian Soccer is involved

flatpicker
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
what are Dunleavy's broadcasting skills like?

Rudi
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
what are Dunleavy's broadcasting skills like?
I think he was the Lynx play-by-play man back in the day.

If so, he was pretty decent, and knows his stuff.

dantdot
03-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Their poll on http://fan590.com/

Toronto F.C. returns to action for a third season this saturday in Kansas City, a game you will hear on the FAN. How do you think they are going to do?

Who cares about soccer!
They will make the playoffs!
They will miss the playoffs, again!
They will make the playoffs and, do some damage!Guess what's in the lead :rolleyes:

Nuvinho
03-17-2009, 01:18 PM
^^ That's wrong, they shouldn't let Bob McCown vote so many times.

tfcleeds
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
He has to kill the time before Prime Time Sports goes on the air somehow?

BFin
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Guess you don't trust my insights if you still thought it was a rumor huh?
;)

GrimsbyTown
03-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Sweet.

I'm pretty happy about this! Missed alot of matches while out and about.

Red CB Toronto
03-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Bobcat is simply paid the big bucks to the tune half a million a year to make you hate him and he simply does care what you think, he was the former voice of the Toronto Blizzard and in someways he is a legend in the sports media. It is pretty simple just live your life and don't care what others think about what you love.

Blizzard
03-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Bobcat is simply paid the big bucks to the tune half a million a year to make you hate him and he simply does care what you think, he was the former voice of the Toronto Blizzard and in someways he is a legend in the sports media. It is pretty simple just live your life and don't care what others think about what you love.

No, he was never the voice of the Blizzard. He was hosting Sportsline over at Global at the time so he was around but he was never directly connected to any Blizzard broadcasts that I can recall.

Play by play was Mike Anscombe with colour by Brian Budd. Later, play-by-play was handled by a young Chris Cuthbert.

Red CB Toronto
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
No, he was never the voice of the Blizzard. He was hosting Sportsline over at Global at the time so he was around but he was never directly connected to any Blizzard broadcasts that I can recall.

Play by play was Mike Anscombe with colour by Brian Budd. Later, play-by-play was handled by a young Chris Cuthbert.

I know he was for a season.

dantdot
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.fan590.com/onair/more.jsp?content=20090317_100612_8260

They're doing every game.

Oh nm, I see they include the web shit too, booo!

VPjr
03-18-2009, 12:26 AM
the Fan590 really has to be applauded for upping their commitment to our game. be sure to email them to let them know you think this is a great decision.

So you all know, the Fan590 will be doing THREE HOURS of TFC talk on Wednesday night (March 18) from 7-10 pm.

The 3 hour show will be hosted by Alex Sixiero (very knowledgeable guy) and Bobby Iarusci will be in studio. I wouldn't be surprised if Dunleavy and Luke Wileman are also in studio.

let's be sure to flood the phonelines to talk about our team. Lord knows we don't get a lot of chances to talk TFC or Soccer in general on the Fan590 (although its getting better, especially thanks to guys like Doug Farraway).

By the way, Dunleavy is a very good play by play guy....I don't like Hockey or Lacrosse but I've heard him call those sports on the Fan and he's excellent. He did do the Lynx games years ago as well.

IMO, Bobby Iarusci is an inspired choice for colour commentator for the radio broadcasts...I like Bobby because he doesn't kiss anyone's ass....he tells you like it is. If the team is shit, he won't sugarcoat it but if they are good, he'll stand up and be the first to applaud.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I like Bob Iarusci, there’s no doubt he's knowledge about the game and opinionated, but, at least on Soccer Show, he comes off as being intentionally contrary. That’s great on a radio call in show, but it won’t really work in the play-by-play context.

VPjr
03-18-2009, 01:19 AM
I like Bob Iarusci, there’s no doubt he's knowledge about the game and opinionated, but, at least on Soccer Show, he comes off as being intentionally contrary. That’s great on a radio call in show, but it won’t really work in the play-by-play context.

I can tell you first hand because i consider Bobby a friend...he's not trying to be contrary...he truly has not liked what he's seen on the field the first 2 years of TFC. He loves that the team has so much fan support but the play on the pitch has left ALOT to be desired (hell, i could barely watch the team the last 4-5 weeks last season...it was painful at times).

There's a lot more reason to be positive this season (right now) but if they stink or if someone is dragging his ass, Bobby is going to call it like he sees it...I wish the other colour guys doing TFC games on TV would do the same rather than play it safe too often. I like controversy. I don't want people to tell me what I want to hear. I want them to challenge me. I hate it when I clearly see shit play on the field but the colour guy simply glosses over it.

Blizzard
03-18-2009, 01:24 AM
I know he was for a season.

In what role? I've no memory of it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

bignickel
03-18-2009, 01:43 AM
I can tell you first hand because i consider Bobby a friend...he's not trying to be contrary...he truly has not liked what he's seen on the field the first 2 years of TFC. He loves that the team has so much fan support but the play on the pitch has left ALOT to be desired (hell, i could barely watch the team the last 4-5 weeks last season...it was painful at times).

There's a lot more reason to be positive this season (right now) but if they stink or if someone is dragging his ass, Bobby is going to call it like he sees it...I wish the other colour guys doing TFC games on TV would do the same rather than play it safe too often. I like controversy. I don't want people to tell me what I want to hear. I want them to challenge me. I hate it when I clearly see shit play on the field but the colour guy simply glosses over it.

actually, we went 2-1-2 in the last 4-5 week strech and scored almost a third of our goals in those 5 games. it's july we want to forget about forever.

Mark in Ottawa
03-18-2009, 06:51 AM
As rumored by others, Fan590 confirmed that they'll be doing the games on the radio this year. Half the season will be live on the radio, the other half will be online.

Dan Dunleavy, lead play-by-play guy. Bob Irarcusi (spelled that wrong), will do the color for the games.

What about Nigel Reed??

rocker
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Bob's problem is he has these old school ideologies that annoy me. It's like the NASL was the greatest, most well-organized league that had no problems, and the MLS is shit, badly run, etc.
There have been opportunities for Bob to say something nice (TFC didn't lose ALL their games!) but he chooses to let Nigel talk about that, while Bob just emphasizes the negative -- or he chooses to just change the subject and avoid taking about the positive of TFC.

I guess I'll give him a free pass for now, but if TFC plays very well and he's still a negative asshole, then it's something deeper than just being so-called "objective" about the team's play.

nascarguy
03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
i guess we will see poeple with radio's at the home games now

Pachuco
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
What about Nigel Reed??

Well he does play by play on TV. So that would be a little difficult to work out ;)

I realize he only does CBC's games. But I still like that they are trying to have a face of Toronto FC on the radio. Rigel would'nt be there half the time so it's good to start building that with a new resource who can be there most of the time.