PDA

View Full Version : TFC/MLS Shirt Sponsorships

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Can anyone tell me why we, one of the best supported teams in the MLS, are being paid relatively peanuts when it comes to shirt sponsorships? I mean there certain has to be more to what BMO is paying us right? Like they put up crazy dough for BMO field to be built or something?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Profitability

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Something to do with the stadium deal. There was a thread about this in the summer, once more teams started to get shirt deals.

renda-10
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
i agree

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank you that's all I wanted to hear, because you'd think with BMO Field being so named and BMO on the shirt we'd be getting mad cash from them

Wagner
03-16-2009, 09:20 PM
no one knew the popularity when the naming rights were sold.
also, BMO is a big partner of MLSE.
they sponsor a lot of stuff for the leafs/raptors...

renda-10
03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
no one knew the popularity when the naming rights were sold.
also, BMO is a big partner of MLSE.
they sponsor a lot of stuff for the leafs/raptors...
so now that they know how popular we are cant they hand over more money?

Rudi
03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
so now that they know how popular we are cant they hand over more money?
Post of the Year material.

James17930
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
What I'm more interested in is why some teams still can't seem to get a sponsor.

I mean, you'd think they'd even just throw Gilette onto the Revs jerseys, considering the guy wouldn't have to even pay for it.

renda-10
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Post of the Year material.
whats so wrong with what i said?

Rudi
03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
whats so wrong with what i said?
You mean you weren't being sarcastic? Wow.

Well then, let me ask you about the last time you heard of any big corporation or bank that just "handed over more money" than was stipulated in their contracts.

What I'm more interested in is why some teams still can't seem to get a sponsor.

I mean, you'd think they'd even just throw Gilette onto the Revs jerseys, considering the guy wouldn't have to even pay for it.
The Gillette Company has nothing to do with Revs ownership, aside from sponsoring their home stadium.

Canary Canuck
03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I can't help but wonder what type of number MLSE could've gotten out of BMO had they been able to hold off for a year. I'd guess $6 million

ginkster88
03-17-2009, 01:02 AM
It's a "four-five year" deal so you can expect the club to cash in in the near future. We were only the third club to get a shirt sponsor remember, and the second came with the company buying the team (Red Bull New York).

Mark in Ottawa
03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Can anyone tell me why we, one of the best supported teams in the MLS, are being paid relatively peanuts when it comes to shirt sponsorships? I mean there certain has to be more to what BMO is paying us right? Like they put up crazy dough for BMO field to be built or something?

I expect that the shirt sponsorships are set for X number of years at a time.

I'm sure that as the teams become more visible and profitable the value of the jersey sponsorships will rise to reflect that.

tfc007
03-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I think BMO should by putting some money into our supporter group,to help with costs and events .You know help us along a bit, because without us TFC would be another version of some of the struggling franchises in the MLS for attendance.So BMO FORK IT UP BITCHES.

drewski
03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
i'm surprised they wouldn't write some kind of escalator clauses into the contract. ie if we sellout an entire season or get certain tv ratings, the cost for sponsorship goes up x number of dollars.

JonO
03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
i'm surprised they wouldn't write some kind of escalator clauses into the contract. ie if we sellout an entire season or get certain tv ratings, the cost for sponsorship goes up x number of dollars.
That would not be good because TFC's TV ratings are absolutely crap...

mlsintoronto
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
three reasons: timing (we consciously did our Jersey deal early in the process, even though we knew there would be a predictable escalation in price - the 5th jersey deal was worth more than the first)

currency fluctuation...always need to take that into account when comparing US and CDN numbers (like what was the exchange rate on the date the source article was written?)

and the TFC jersey deal is just a jersey deal. separate from other team sponsorship or building naming deal. Other clubs have their jersey sponsorship rolled into a much bigger partnership...but they like to announce the biggest number possible.

LucaGol
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Interesting ...

Cashcleaner
03-18-2009, 07:35 PM

I don't think it's that big of a problem. Besides, our attendance numbers will likely play a big role in the next round of sponsorship negotiations so I wouldn't sweat it.

Parkdale
03-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking that we should pool our cash, and have the RPB sponsor some other team.

Obviously we wouldn't use our own name, but sometime fun like TURDSHITE INDUSTRIES

shawn6597
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
i wonder if MLS will ever move toward Mexican style advertising with sleeve and back adverts.