PDA

View Full Version : Has footy made any stride in toronto ?

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
What your opinion on soccer in Toronto.

Have we made any inroads to its popularity this last year..

Super
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I think we've peaked. Things are good, though. Full stadium every game. What more can we ask for in North America?

BFin
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Considering the fact that almost every game is on television, and they have radio coverage...I would say you really didn't need to ask the question.

jloome
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Considering the fact that almost every game is on television, and they have radio coverage...I would say you really didn't need to ask the question.

Radio coverage? Since when? (a soccer show on the fan doesn't count as "radio coverage." Is there someone actually doing play by play this year?)

BFin
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Did you not read the thread today? Check TFC Games will now be on the radio or something.
Fan who now has radio coverage of TFC.
Full play by play.

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
yeah Fan is covering "some" games...we dont know how many yet.

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM

I asked becuase the real news is on the street.
Your not big until the little folk on the street recognizes you. thats where the brand and team recognition really matters..

BFin
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah Fan is covering "some" games...we dont know how many yet.
I will relay it to them that you're still not happy.

BFin
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I asked becuase the real news is on the street.
Your not big until the little folk on the street recognizes you. thats where the brand and team recognition really matters..
True, however I think it is quite recognizable now because every TFC fan displays scarves, jackets, hats a lot more than most other sports. Call us dedicated.
Didn't mean to sound like a dick before. Poorly phrased.

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
nahh dude, you misread. I'm happy about it. Just passing over all the info i have

Workie
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd say yes.

Hell I walked into an Oakville Purolator tonight with a big grin on my face and the first question was. "You a soccer fan aren't you"

I had no footy gear on but they have been getting bombarded all evening with calls from people with delivery notices.

So again I would say yes strides have been made.

Let the chaos begin!

BFin
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I am sure they will have as many games as they can slot in.
There is a good relationship there with MLSE.

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
my fear is that we wont have too many games live on radio due to the Fan's Bluejays regiment during summer which as we know is about 25 games per 30 day month

BFin
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
majority of TFC is on Saturday or Sunday. Jays play in the afternoon those days the mjaoirty of the time.

RedWookie
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I think soccer took off pretty well in Canada, Toronto in particular and it's no surprise due to all the people who moved here from giant soccer countries. give it a few more years and we will have that "street rep"

TFC07
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
What your opinion on soccer in Toronto.

Have we made any inroads to its popularity this last year..

“Footy” has always been popular in Toronto/GTA. Now that we have a first division team in Toronto, soccer will become even more popular.

I think soccer is popular enough in Toronto now that Toronto can support a 2nd team if we wanted to.

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
True, however I think it is quite recognizable now because every TFC fan displays scarves, jackets, hats a lot more than most other sports. Call us dedicated.
Didn't mean to sound like a dick before. Poorly phrased.

you didn't sound like a dick ..
i reserve that for those that don't or won't understand the passion for this sport..
Rogers as a Tfc partner is amazing and finally we get some exposure and rest assured that Rogers investment in tfc will be a huge win for them aswell..

soccer supporters are just vocal and we make this club what it is.. Not only do we wear the shirts .. We give a voice to them aswell..

Roogsy
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I haven't always made the best decisions in my life.

But deciding to get season's tickets the very first day...will be forever one of my best.

RedWookie
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
^
i think giving me one of those tickets would be your second :) :)

flatpicker
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
my fear is that we wont have too many games live on radio due to the Fan's Bluejays regiment during summer which as we know is about 25 games per 30 day month

The Jays certainly dominate the radio.
I think it's great that TFC will get some airplay... but I doubt I will be listening much as I will be at the game or at the bar watching road games.

Now... I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I will admit, there is something very pleasing and tranquil about listening to baseball on the radio.
It's almost like the perfect background music. It has this way of filling the audio void in a room or car without being overbearing.
I suppose since there is so little action in baseball it's basically like tuning into a CBC talk show.

I wonder if soccer has a similar effect.
I hope the commentators are good for the TFC games.

as for the main topic of this thread... I think the TFC brand is growing in the city.
It gets talked about more than ever.
I see more TFC gear on people all the time just out and about in the city.
But we will need to have a winning season to help cement interest in many people.

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM

But deciding to get season's tickets the very first day...will be forever one of my best.

I so agree with you on this ...

best 50 dollars i have ever invested to reserve my seat

Workie
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Goddam right best investment I ever made!

I'm looking forward to hearing some footy on the radio! It's been ages and would be handy WHEN I'M STUCK ON THE BLOODY GARDENER LATE FOR A GAME!!!!

Swear I need to invest in a Helicopter to avoid missing kickoff......

TFC Cityboy
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM

One of the worst I made was "I'll just buy 2 season tickets for the 4 of us...if it's shit I'll get rid, and if it's decent I can always buy more"

Didn't reckon on sell-outs..
:noidea:

Suljazz
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Living in kitchener and working in Toronto has really opened my eyes to the impact that TFC has made with soccer in Toronto and elsewhere in Ontario. The buzz about TFC hit the ground running when the franchise was awarded, has grown all over the province, spurrned talks of expansion accross Canada, and on this site an elsewhere has caused much debate on improving the game (stadium expansion and the natural grass vs. field turf debate).

Merchandizing and brand recognition are at an all time high, and it crosses age gaps and the male/female interest barriers. Working with teenagers as I do, the amount of interest in the club and understanding of the team, players and game is I think rivaling some of the other "Major" sports franchises in Toronto. I think TFC can do more and will do more in the coming years, as its loyal and passionate group of supporters have and will ensure its growth continues.

rocker
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
i'm still not sure if the average person knows of TFC, the way the average person knows of the leafs, raps, and jays. but i think soccer fans all know of TFC some way or another. whether soccer is more popular, I dunno, since I think it was already massively popular -- the job was to convert those fans to TFC fans, which has been done to a high degree (as quality goes up and they expand the stadium, they should be able to bring more in). i think TFC's greatest success is in bringing together fans into a big canadian community. the fans were there, they just needed a reason to come together and care.

what i wanna see is in 10 years the kiddies growing up being TFC fans since birth. :)
I also wanna see some of those talented soccer kids deliberately choose to play for TFC cuz they always dreamed they would.

TFC Cityboy
03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I know my 8 year old (who plays Rep/Select) wants to play for TFC one day. May be the only way to get extra Season Tickets!

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Living in kitchener and working in Toronto has really opened my eyes to the impact that TFC has made with soccer in Toronto and elsewhere in Ontario. The buzz about TFC hit the ground running when the franchise was awarded, has grown all over the province, spurrned talks of expansion accross Canada, and on this site an elsewhere has caused much debate on improving the game (stadium expansion and the natural grass vs. field turf debate).

Merchandizing and brand recognition are at an all time high, and it crosses age gaps and the male/female interest barriers. Working with teenagers as I do, the amount of interest in the club and understanding of the team, players and game is I think rivaling some of the other "Major" sports franchises in Toronto. I think TFC can do more and will do more in the coming years, as its loyal and passionate group of supporters have and will ensure its growth continues.

Amen.

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I know my 8 year old (who plays Rep/Select) wants to play for TFC one day. May be the only way to get extra Season Tickets!

Im rooting for him!!!!..
if he does make it in can you get an extra 2 for me .. :D

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
reason why i asked the question was becuase today i was looking for a small truck for my old man.
I called a dealer interested in finding out how much it would cost for a new vehicle and ended up talking to the guy for almost 1 hour and it was purely soccer/footy. Mostly Tfc,English football,and latin american futbol.
I almost had to be rude to get him off the phone but finally when it was done he said he would give me an extra 1000 off for being a TFC supporter.. This guy was just amazing.. could not believe he said that to me.. unreal...

jloome
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Did you not read the thread today?
I work for Rogers...who owns the Fan...who now has radio coverage of TFC.
Full play by play.

Excellent news.

renda-10
03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
reason why i asked the question was becuase today i was looking for a small truck for my old man.
I called a dealer interested in finding out how much it would cost for a new vehicle and ended up talking to the guy for almost 1 hour and it was purely soccer/footy. Mostly Tfc,English football,and latin american futbol.
I almost had to be rude to get him off the phone but finally when it was done he said he would give me an extra 1000 off for being a TFC supporter.. This guy was just amazing.. could not believe he said that to me.. unreal...
You dont meet people like that very often

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I think soccer is popular enough in Toronto now that Toronto can support a 2nd team if we wanted to.
That'd be tough I can't imagine a scenario when that would work out ie people having to decide to ditch their support for TFC for Toronto United or w/e but that would be a very cool idea and a badass rivalry

renda-10
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
^^^
we only need one team. If will all put our support into the one squad TFC will become more well know for their play as well as the best fan base in all of toronto

TFC Cityboy
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
That'd be tough I can't imagine a scenario when that would work out ie people having to decide to ditch their support for TFC for Toronto United or w/e but that would be a very cool idea and a badass rivalry

I (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1162333/HATCHET-MAN-Hes-cost-City-800-000-goal-travels-worse-cheese-spacesuit--happy-29th-week-fleecing-City-Mr-Robinho.html?ITO=1490) wouldn't ever switch, but some find it easier than others to jump from one club to another....anyone in section 113 resemble that remark? ;)

gtaguy
03-16-2009, 09:12 PM
what i wanna see is in 10 years the kiddies growing up being TFC fans since birth. :)
I also wanna see some of those talented soccer kids deliberately choose to play for TFC cuz they always dreamed they would.

excellent words. would love my child to be like a Dero.:canada:

Sab0tage
03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
That'd be tough I can't imagine a scenario when that would work out ie people having to decide to ditch their support for TFC for Toronto United or w/e but that would be a very cool idea and a badass rivalry Well, if Hamilton ends up getting a USL team that's probably as close as we'll get to a second one in Toronto.

TFC07
03-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Put 2nd Toronto team in 905 region (Mississauga or Brampton). 416ers vs. 905ers would be a nice rivalry.

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah that rivalry would be bitchin' but that may lead to the most soccer related violence ever seen in North America

Sab0tage
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah that rivalry would be bitchin' but that may lead to the most soccer related violence ever seen in North America I don't think it would be that bad. Montreal vs. Toronto would still probably be worse. But yeah, the rivalry would be great.

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah my views are probably skewed because of the movie Green Street Hooligans, which was crazy violence within London, West Ham and Millwall (millwall's in London right?)

Jeffro
03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Basically everyone I know has asked me to hook them up with tickets for a game.... unfortunately, I think a lot of the buzz is about the atmosphere, not the football. If TFC can have a strong season, a Canadian championship, and maybe a playoff run, they could have a stranglehold on the sports market in Toronto.

Ladies Love Julius James
03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Basically everyone I know has asked me to hook them up with tickets for a game.... unfortunately, I think a lot of the buzz is about the atmosphere, not the football. If TFC can have a strong season, a Canadian championship, and maybe a playoff run, they could have a stranglehold on the sports market in Toronto.

Bingo. Dead on. Most hear about the party and want a piece of the pie. I'd say the majority that ask just want to go for the party and beer and scream a bit and go home. I've been guilty of it on a few occassions myself.

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Isn't that the reason you go? to drink and have a good time supporting your team (by screaming) and watch some footy, because if you only go for the footy then just stay home and watch the game on the tele

flatpicker
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
If TFC can have a strong season, a Canadian championship, and maybe a playoff run, they could have a stranglehold on the sports market in Toronto.

I have spoken before about how huge this would be for the marketability of the team.
(not that I want them to win because of popularity... it just happens to be the subject of this thread)

Toronto has been going through a real sporting slump.
A TFC playoff run/Championship would shift a lot of attention to the team.

TorCanSoc
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I went for a run in my long sleeve TFC cotton jersey today... I think someone honked at me because of it. That's huge right there !!! :)

Sab0tage
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah my views are probably skewed because of the movie Green Street Hooligans, which was crazy violence within London, West Ham and Millwall (millwall's in London right?) Yeah, they are. Then again, both of them have been rivals for decades, so there's no guarantee a second team in the GTA would really mean the same thing.

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I went for a run in my long sleeve TFC cotton jersey today... I think someone honked at me because of it. That's huge right there !!! :)
Its more likely they just wanted you:D

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, they are. Then again, both of them have been rivals for decades, so there's no guarantee a second team in the GTA would really mean the same thing.
Oh obviously, let's not forget its a movie after all, no matter what amount of truth it could very well be based on

TorCanSoc
03-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Its more likely they just wanted you:D

Words almost fail me. So that dude was into short pudgy (but getting less so) middle aged men? Ewww.

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Words almost fail me. So that dude was into short pudgy (but getting less so) middle aged men? Ewww.
You'd be surprised what some people are into:D

RedWookie
03-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Isn't that the reason you go? to drink and have a good time supporting your team (by screaming) and watch some footy, because if you only go for the footy then just stay home and watch the game on the tele

90% of the fun is being able to cheer and support with your buddies and other people at the game (or pub), thats a part of why I joined rpb was for the "brotherhood" of going to the games ans supporting as a group:canada:

morgank1986
03-16-2009, 10:55 PM
One of the worst I made was "I'll just buy 2 season tickets for the 4 of us...if it's shit I'll get rid, and if it's decent I can always buy more"

Didn't reckon on sell-outs..
:noidea:

I made the same mistake. 2 tickets between 4 people has resulted in a lot of bargaining and compromise.

Rudi
03-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1162333/HATCHET-MAN-Hes-cost-City-800-000-goal-travels-worse-cheese-spacesuit--happy-29th-week-fleecing-City-Mr-Robinho.html?ITO=1490) wouldn't ever switch, but some find it easier than others to jump from one club to another....anyone in section 113 resemble that remark? ;)
It wasn't so much a 'jump' as much as it was being unwanted.

I don't really feel like I need to justify it to you or anyone, but if you want more of the story, feel free to PM me.

billyfly
03-16-2009, 11:40 PM
I made the same mistake. 2 tickets between 4 people has resulted in a lot of bargaining and compromise.

3 seats between 4 is my issue. I win most of the time though.

BuSaPuNk
03-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I believe it has made big strides. I would have concidered myself a casual fan before getting into TFC alot in the middle of the year last year. Kicking myself that I wasn't here from day one....but I really thought that it wouldn't work....hell what do I know. I am a huge leafs fan and really that was my number one priority at all times during the season and off season nothing but hockey talk. Now this has replaced that. Still a leafs fan. But the obsession has now turned to TFC, and it isn't going anywhere. So being a byproduct of this situation it has made big strides in this city.

Don Julio
03-17-2009, 01:02 AM
The one market TFC hasn't really captured is the first generation immigrants. Sure, a lot of them have been to games, but Toronto has hardly presented attractive soccer in the first two years. I believe this summer, with the improvements to the team, TFC will begin to capture their hearts and the grunts of how shit the quality of football is will turn into something a little more positive.

Even without improvements on defense. Most supporters of most teams in the world can't believe how shit their defence is. That shouldn't be unfamiliar.

This summer the beatiful game will hopefully actually be the beatiful game.

Ok, time to put the Jameson's away and wait for tomorrow.

MUFC_Niagara
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
The one market TFC hasn't really captured is the first generation immigrants. Sure, a lot of them have been to games, but Toronto has hardly presented attractive soccer in the first two years. I believe this summer, with the improvements to the team, TFC will begin to capture their hearts and the grunts of how shit the quality of football is will turn into something a little more positive.

Even without improvements on defense. Most supporters of most teams in the world can't believe how shit their defence is. That shouldn't be unfamiliar.

The first generation immigrants I have talked to aren't worried about the quality. They don't want to go because of the way the league is set up. I've beaten this like a dead horse so I don't need to go on, but that is what holds it back on this side of the pond from exploding.

T-Bird
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't know how much more popular the team has become this year but I think it has introduced many people to the sport who otherwise might not have been interested. As a child soccer player I grew to dislike the game and only went to a TFC game because it was a birthday gift from Techno. The moment I walked through the gates at BMO I was hooked! I have even started watching International footy and chosen a team..or two to support! What I didn't realize before TFC was that football is not just about a game but it is about comradery, passion and pride! Every year I now have something to look forward to when spring rolls around! I am super stoked for the new season and it can't come quicker!

Although the quality of MLS football and officiating is nothing like that of what is seen overseas, the opportunity to come together to support not only a team but also our city and watch our team grow and improve is of huge appeal to people of all ages and I think the popularity of the team will grow every year that passes!

anto7
03-17-2009, 09:59 AM

My impression is that the first generation immigrants have grasped TFC with open arms from day one. I myself am a first generation immigrant from England, grew up watching my home town club Doncaster Rovers and Man Utd. As soon as I heard that Toronto was getting a MLS team it was like a dream come true. Finally a team that I could call my own on this side of the pond. Sure the quality in the first 2 seasons has not been the best but after watching Doncaster Rovers for many years in the old 4th Division I was not complaining.
There are lots of guys in my section from overseas and they all seem to embrace it as much as me.
The atmosphere at BMO stadium is as good as anything that I experienced back in England and actually a lot more enjoyable since you do not have to live in fear of getting a good kicking for following the wrong team.
Just wait till we see what it is going to be like once we have a winning team !

Calvin
03-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Look if you did a Rick Mercer-esque talking to Torontonians and asked:

"Do you think Toronto should have a professional soccer team?"
"Would it succeed?"
"Does Toronto have a professional soccer team?"

Youd get lots of ignorant answers.

Don Julio
03-17-2009, 11:07 AM
My impression is that the first generation immigrants have grasped TFC with open arms from day one. I myself am a first generation immigrant from England, grew up watching my home town club Doncaster Rovers and Man Utd. As soon as I heard that Toronto was getting a MLS team it was like a dream come true. Finally a team that I could call my own on this side of the pond. Sure the quality in the first 2 seasons has not been the best but after watching Doncaster Rovers for many years in the old 4th Division I was not complaining.
There are lots of guys in my section from overseas and they all seem to embrace it as much as me.
The atmosphere at BMO stadium is as good as anything that I experienced back in England and actually a lot more enjoyable since you do not have to live in fear of getting a good kicking for following the wrong team.
Just wait till we see what it is going to be like once we have a winning team !

Sorry, I'm not really talking about English immigrants. I'm talking about 50-60 year old Portuguese and Italians.

gtaguy
03-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't know how much more popular the team has become this year but I think it has introduced many people to the sport who otherwise might not have been interested. As a child soccer player I grew to dislike the game and only went to a TFC game because it was a birthday gift from Techno. The moment I walked through the gates at BMO I was hooked! I have even started watching International footy and chosen a team..or two to support! What I didn't realize before TFC was that football is not just about a game but it is about comradery, passion and pride! Every year I now have something to look forward to when spring rolls around! I am super stoked for the new season and it can't come quicker!

Although the quality of MLS football and officiating is nothing like that of what is seen overseas, the opportunity to come together to support not only a team but also our city and watch our team grow and improve is of huge appeal to people of all ages and I think the popularity of the team will grow every year that passes!

Tbird. .your a perfect example of what a success story tfc has been.
For whatever reason you got hooked im glad it happened .

Kinda like that saying "if you build it they will come" .
Mlse built the stadium and a team but as you say in your post its the atmosphere, the comraderie, and the throngs of tfc supporters that are making this club recognized far and wide..
the onfield talent needs to continue improving and the quality of the footy become higher in standards to TFC can stand a chance against those 50 or 60 something immigrants that are still reluctant at adopting tfc as another favorite club ..

I hope that MLSE never forgets what it was that made this toronto team such a success.. (US the supporters) and the passion we bring not only at the stadium but throughout ontario..

maninb
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I think the quality of MLS will SLOWLy improve but lets not fool ourselves, it will ALWAYS be a feeder league to Europes better leagues, especially the EPL. But hey Holland, Portugal, France, etc have been that way for the past 20 years so it's not all bad. One thing thing the league MUST improve on is the quality of referees/linesmen which is ABYSMAL!!! Like many here I think TFC is MY TEAM and can't wait til next weekend(Columbus)..IMO, soccer/football will eventually become #2 after hockey/the Leafs. The CRaptors will eventually fold, and the Argos will never be more than they are now.

olegunnar
03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Sorry, I'm not really talking about English immigrants. I'm talking about 50-60 year old Portuguese and Italians.

Those "types" of new Canadians (saying types as to not single out Italians and Portuguese) will always be a harder sell.

One of the reason TFC supporters love TFC is because it's ours.

There are Canadians that don't think of anything here as theirs. You know, the people that love to complain about things here and then go on about how great things are back home (eventhough they've lived here for 20 years).

They'll never feel the attachment to TFC, and without that attachment it's really really hard to get over the quality of play, the playoffs, the salary cap, 2 divisions, no breaks on Fifa days, playing on turf, playing in multi use facilites..etc.etc.etc.

It's the attachment to OUR club that allows us to cringe, but still try to overlook all the flaws of MLS....it's a lot harder to do when you don't have an attachment to a team/city/country. Exhibit A is all of us that couldn't care less about the MLS pre-TFC.

Oldtimer
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Yet, there are two elderly Italian men (STH's - I know because of the scarf) who wait at the same GO station that I do, and almost never miss a match, so you can't over generalize.

You also can't over generalize about overseas soccer. I've watched live a number of French second division matches. The quality was about equivalent to MLS, and the fan support was nowhere near as good as BMO field. If you mean watching a top EPL side, yeah, there's no comparison. But there is a lot of football, even in football-loving countries that isn't at an EPL/La Liga/Serie A level.

trane
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
^ True. My only comment to that, is that TFC, from the brand, colours ect.realy has only made a minor impression in the Italian market. I am going from personal experince and from talking to people. It is not just that they are loyal to their Serie A clubs, but the entire thing just is just not that geared toward the Italian community in general. It is a prety large chunk of the market to miss out on.

billyfly
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I tried to bring my Portuguese father to a TFC game and can't do it. He won't come.

At the same time there are plenty of EPL, Serie A fanatics (born and raised here) who won't come to a game either b/c the level of footy can't compare.

BFin
03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I think we are splitting hairs here now. There will never be an entire multi cultural group that likes one club team.
I think to go back to the original thread title, the fact that people know who it is, supporters clubs are growing every year, and so is the waiting list for tickets, would be a very good indication (along with increased broadcasting) that it's made some inroads.
More to come.

trane
03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
^ But the TV numbers would benefit, if they could get some interest in the wider ethnic community. But having said that I think that it may be hard to have one club,which can satisfy all football taste and needs, in city such as ours.

flatpicker
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I think people who choose not to go to a game, simply because it is not Serie A or EPL level, are boneheads.

I mean come one! There are millions of people currently living in soccer mad countries all over the world who support their local clubs (that sit in some 3rd division league, losing all their best players to wealthier clubs). They don't seem to mind. They are there for their home team... regardless of it's "lower level" status.

If people only ever went to a live game when the top level teams were playing then the world of football would go bankrupt!

Attitudes like that are built with arrogance and stupidity.

trane
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
^ Its not the level of footy that is the problem alone. The marketing/branding has not necesarily been focused on these groups, or if it has I have not seen it work.

Whoop
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't think there is a need to target any specific ethnic groups.

You target the young kids, get them hooked and when they are 18+ then TFC will reap the benefits and the TV numbers will come.

Remember TFC isn't a national brand and TV numbers are national. Don't think people in Vancouver or Montreal care about TFC. That's why the numbers are low.

But again, in due time. The older generations are "lost". No point in trying to reel them in. Too much effort.

billyfly
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
With some of my Italian friends who live north of 7 - They wont come down south past that physical (and mental) barrier for nothing. (except maybe Leafs)

trane
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
^ That is true.

Whopee, it depends how you look at it, Italians in Toronto are not just another ethnic group. At one point there were almost 600, 000 first generation Italians in Toronto, based on that number I would guess that there are something like 1,000,000 first and second generations Italians in souther ontario, that is a prety big football watching market that TFC has had littel impact in. It is not a necessety but it is a lost opportunity in business terms.

Azerban
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
if the italians or portuguese are waiting for a formal invitation and a free blowjob before they come to a game then fuck them

whoever wants to jerk off at home over the euroclub their dad likes that they've seen play in person a grand total of twice and who will come around in a decade or two when tfc is finally considered big enough to be worth their oh so very valuable time can eat a dick; go to hell; etc.

Whoop
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
trane, not everything football related revolves around the Italians. :p

You could argue that TFC doesn't have to market to "ethnic" groups given that all the tickets for this year are effectively sold out. A) Most Italian football fans could care less about TFC, especially older generations. B) It would cost more money to try to "break" into that group.

It's cheaper to "market" to younger kids/teens and get them involved. To them, most don't know any better.

Like billyfly, I can't get my dad out to games. Doesn't think it's real football because it's played on plastic. Still has NASL stuck in his head.

Whoop
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
if the italians or portuguese are waiting for a formal invitation and a free blowjob before they come to a game then fuck them

whoever wants to jerk off at home over the euroclub their dad likes that they've seen play in person a grand total of twice and who will come around in a decade or two when tfc is finally considered big enough to be worth their oh so very valuable time can eat a dick; go to hell; etc.

LOL...

I guess that's what I was trying to say without being so blunt.

LOL

Whoop
03-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Besides I think TFC supporters are creating their own, new thing in the city.

trane
03-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Azerban,

yeah, that is what they are waiting for. I will keep it civil, and I will not get personal, but your comments are both inapropirate and missing the point of the discourse. Your personal issue with Italians is realy getting old.

Whoopee,

I have to confess, while I appreciate TFC and the RPB, and appreciate the leadership and core of this group, the reality the club does not attract the Italian football fan. That may be ok with TFC and the average supporter. Which is OK. But it is the reality, and if you are gaging how well the club is doing in a large segment of this city, the truth is that it is not. I would love to see the statistcs about who the average TFC supporter/fan is

Whoop
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
But in regards to the original question, football has always been popular in Toronto.

Just that back in the day you have to go to your local club/bar/pub to watch the game with supporters of other teams, until it was time for the World Cup and you could watch it on CBC or TSN.

Now, it's just more in the open.

It will continue to grow and TFC will only help.

I have clubs from overseas that I support, but TFC has become #1 in my heart.

I was born and I live here. I was not born or nor do I live there.

Azerban
03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
^ yeah, that is what they are waiting for. I will keep it civil, and I will not get personal, but your comments are both inapropirate and missing the point of the discourse. Your personal issue with Italians is realy getting old.

if this is to me, you can take out the portuguese/italians mention in the first paragraph, only put it in because those are these big soccer-watching contingents that don't see tfc as worth a look that are who everyone is talking about

it definitely is aimed at anyone so enamoured with their "real club" halfway around the world that they could never conceive of attending their local club, regardless of nationality

billyfly
03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
I want a free blowjob.

trane
03-17-2009, 04:04 PM
if this is to me, you can take out the portuguese/italians mention in the first paragraph, only put it in because those are these big soccer-watching contingents that don't see tfc as worth a look that are who everyone is talking about

it definitely is aimed at anyone so enamoured with their "real club" halfway around the world that they could never conceive of attending their local club, regardless of nationality

There are certainly many of those. But that is not the only issue. Again it is certainly not necessary to market to these communities. The point is again that there are many "ethnic" markets which are largely untapped by TFC. If TFC could brake through it could have a substantially larger market share. It is up to MLSE to decide if they want this market or not, or at least if the effort to market to these is necessarly worth the payback.

flatpicker
03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I think MLSE has relied heavily on word of mouth for spreading the gospel of TFC.
Not that they haven't done other promotional things...
But I think they have found that having a sold out stadium means lots of people are experiencing the TFC fun, and from there the word spreads.
I would say it's worked out ok.
As long as games continue to be sold out, more people will hear about it through their friends.
If the day comes that tickets are easier to come by, then we will probably see more focused advertising campaigns.

trane
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
^ Agreed. The only "problem" if you can call it that, is the low TV viewership, I am sure MLSE would like to imrpove those numbers.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I tried to bring my Portuguese father to a TFC game and can't do it. He won't come.

At the same time there are plenty of EPL, Serie A fanatics (born and raised here) who won't come to a game either b/c the level of footy can't compare.

italian footy is boring as shit MLS is more exciting tbh

maninb
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I want a free BJ too...just not from todays SSG...unless she takes out her teeth..she looks old enough to do that!

GeorgeB
03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
italian footy is boring as shit MLS is more exciting tbhnot true.

Get In There
03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
There are certainly many of those. But that is not the only issue. Again it is certainly not necessary to market to these communities. The point is again that there are many "ethnic" markets which are largely untapped by TFC. If TFC could brake through it could have a substantially larger market share. It is up to MLSE to decide if they want this market or not, or at least if the effort to market to these is necessarly worth the payback.

insightful posts Train

From my perspective, I call them soccer snobs - my Boss is/was one of them (Spanish - came as a teen). It just takes a bit of time and exposure - now he's always by for team updates (he uses corp seats at times). Sorta Like Leafs fans - into the leafs but minor or euro hockey....na. But once they take a bit of pride/emotional ownership...

I also know some second generation Canadian tfc fans who were turned off at first because the team / public supporter groups (read redpatch) gave off a ManU/English vibe - sounds silly but what if MLSE went with an Italian name.....it would bother many.

We had 15 down to Columbus last year - 22 this year...looks good from here.

B

Baggio2TFC
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
These people we talk about are not Footy fans. they are Italian, Spanish, german....soccer fans. They are no footy fans(Compared to leaf fans v. hockey fans). My dad(Born in italy) has season tixs with me cause he loves soccer. watches Serie A every week but watches soccer anytime it is on.(he is loving free Setanta as am i).
My piont is that There are soccer fans and Soccer fans. Just depends how deep it goes. Those who are on the outside looking in will be on the wagon just as soon as TFC win a championship. Then the city will be a whole new place.

MLSE knows what they are doing. They have been to Soccer Countries and realize what potential is here. don't be suprised to see TFC start around the world in 10 yrs or so!

TFC!!!

trane
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
^ I want our team to be known around the world. If nothing else but for pride.

Whoop
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Not through the MLS...

Erkan16
03-17-2009, 11:06 PM
the Turkish community has ALWAYS held soccer above any sport BAR NONE and anywhere in the world. i go to a party/get together and talk about hockey/basketball/etc people dont seem too interested, but the second soccer/Galatasaray/Fenerbahce/Besiktas is mentioned people talk for hours.

in terms of TFC, the Turkish community has also embraced the team. everyone i know has been to at least one game and follows the standings. heck even my father a die hard Galatasaray fan asked to go to a TFC game this year... who'd a thunkin? haha.

Yeoman
03-17-2009, 11:37 PM
i know that (and maybe it's just because of me and shamus) in the unit, there's been alot of interest to attend a game.
i know i'll be bringing a few guys i've worked with to a couple games over the season.
one of my buddies got chatted up while he was on leave in thailand. i was chatted up about TFC in england and germany. so we're known, just not truly respected I'm sure (not to try and stir the pot, i'm just saying how it looked to me)

trane
03-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I am sending TFC jerseys and gear to relatives in Sweden whoes kids have asked for the stuff, through my brainwashing.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
YA it's good in Toronto but there is still room to grow. First we more seats and real grass, cause the men's soccer team does'nt like to play in Toronto which i don't blame them or anyone else who hasn't signed with us b/c of that shite field

gtaguy
03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
YA it's good in Toronto but there is still room to grow. First we more seats and real grass, cause the men's soccer team does'nt like to play in Toronto which i don't blame them or anyone else who hasn't signed with us b/c of that shite field

to be honest i think there will always be people that will never be satisfied. Toronto fc can make all the changes we have asked for, new grass, expansion and a roof and there will always be something new to bitch and complain about.
I think the biggest hope here is that even within the next couple of years alot of those teenagers that are aware of tfc will become adults with some cash to spend.

billyfly
03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Toronto is a shitty soccer market. Bob Lenarduzzi said so in the Vancouver press conf today.

T-Bird
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM
a roof .

Noooo do people actually want a roof?! Nooo

gtaguy
03-18-2009, 05:54 PM

dude don't hold it against me.. I have heard from many people that they would love to see a roof.. The point was that no matter how much a club tries to satisfy a fan base there will alway be more things that will come up..

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
to be honest i think there will always be people that will never be satisfied. Toronto fc can make all the changes we have asked for, new grass, expansion and a roof and there will always be something new to bitch and complain about.
I think the biggest hope here is that even within the next couple of years alot of those teenagers that are aware of tfc will become adults with some cash to spend.

when u have 10,000 people on list to get season tic dont u what expansion ? and who need's a roof i don't maybe thats u bitchin. when the teenagers get cash to spend on TFC there will be no tic b/c there is no room so yes WE NEED EXPANSION. If TFC got new grass and more seat's i would be satisfied with that.:canada:

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-18-2009, 06:05 PM
no kidding :hump:

gtaguy
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
when u have 10,000 people on list to get season tic dont u what expansion ? and who need's a roof i don't maybe thats u bitchin. when the teenagers get cash to spend on TFC there will be no tic b/c there is no room so yes WE NEED EXPANSION. If TFC got new grass and more seat's i would be satisfied with that.:canada:

no bitchin from me. I actually like being in a stadium when its pounding rain.. I have never been to a stadium with a roof so its not a problem with me.. I was just saying that to bring in more casual fans i hear that people would want a roof.. Don't misquote me i was just stating what i hear .. don't shoot the messenger..

RicoSuave44
03-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Has footy made any strides in Toronto?
2 nights ago I was at Kilgours (a MTL Canadiens pub) The only sports talk I heard going on was about the Prem and Champs league.
Yesterday I was at 4 diff pubs for St. Patty's day celebrations and at every single bar I heard people talking footy or I got into footy discussions. Not once did I hear any other sports talk.
Tonight I've been flipping channels because Setanta's playing a Scottish Cup match I saw earlier and GolTV & FSWC have docu shows I've seen a million times. The first 3 news/sports channels I go to are all featuring soccer. OMNI Chinese language news featured UEFA Cup and Asian Champs League, Rogers Local TV Toronto Sports show doing a TFC season preview.
The only other sports news I've really heard about the last 3 days has been the Raptors silly green jerseys and Marty Brodeur's most career wins.
It's become possible in this city to totally immerse yourself in the footy world. It's becoming less niche and more mainstream, almost by the week it seems. Some sportscasters even sound like they know what they're talking about now when they cover soccer.
Soccer's taking over and I love it! :D