PDA

View Full Version : SBI power rankings

nimamalek
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
TFC is up there, and it mentions another defender on the way...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/03/sbi-mls-power-rankings-week-1.html#more

I didnt see this posted anywhere, please close this thread if it is

Flashman
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
We're number...4...

Not bad.

Reminds me of Jay fans chanting "We're not last"....when was that...1982? 1981?

David_Oliveira
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
This Week: at Kansas City Wizards on Saturday (8:30pm, Direct Kick).
Outlook: Led by Dwayne DeRosario, revamped TFC could be this year's Columbus Crew. Questions about the defense persist, but Toronto's front six is loaded and another defender is on the way.

WHAAAAAAAAAA???
This is awesome news

Ageroo
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I could care less about the rankings...but nice to see. What I am more interested about is this defender he is talking about......:)

So yes, Real Salt Lake and Toronto FC start off very high. With all due respect to the Dynamo, I see RSL as the favorite in the West. TFC is locked and loaded and I could absolutely see them being this year's Columbus. Yes, there are still concerns about the defense, but I'm hearing a centerback is on the way, and if he's as good as I'm hearing, Toronto will absolutely be a force in 2009.

Lucky Strike
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I like this passage:
Yes, there are still concerns about the defense, but I'm hearing a centerback is on the way, and if he's as good as I'm hearing, Toronto will absolutely be a force in 2009.

Hope Ives is right...

Lucky Strike
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I could care less about the rankings...but nice to see. What I am more interested about is this defender he is talking about......:)

^Lol, we think alike.

BFin
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I'll be more interested when we get this mystery defender.
These rumors have gone on wayyyy too long.

Steve
03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah, 1 CB who is a rock and I think we're going to be a tough team to play. Our biggest problem right now is a solid leader in the middle. Serioux is fine, but he isn't solid. Pair him with a beast of a CB and we're looking good. Here's hoping he gets signed soon!

nimamalek
03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
although I dont like getting my hopes up for TFC rumours, this CB rumour has been coming from several sources

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
people were so ready to give up on getting another CB although Mo and Carver have been stressing that moves arent done yet... ives is giving great hope to a great many

Section 117
03-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I heard that as well and from understanding he will not be joining our squad until the next transfer window in July.

Yes, he will be a rock in the back especially compared to what we have

djking2
03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
With the rumors dragging on this long I'm wondering if MJ's getting ready to use our DP on this move. I know it doesn't really seem likely with our team salary already so close to the cap. On the other hand Ives has been rating this deal highly for a least a month now and no one (Carver especially) seems as panicked as could be expected given the current prospects for our defensive lineup. We still have a few players on the roster that could be considered excess to our needs and who knows what sort of juggling Mo can do with his remaining allocation dollars in the mix. If it were to happen I'd still be surprised, but I wouldn't say shocked.

dupont
03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't know.. Even though the rumors of a defender are really flying around at the moment, I just have to remain calm and assume it isn't true until I see an article about it on the TFC main website.
I always end up disappointed when I start believing rumors.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm twitching in anticipation and wondering how I'm going to be able to sleep for the next three months.

Only half-joking about the above.

Where are my tickets???

pank
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Ives is usually pretty reliable with his information. I think most of us think the big CB signing is the last missing component for a Supporter's Shield runand a playoff run.

Hopefully something will be leaked as we get closer to the KC game.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
After seeing the back half of the DC game and front half of the RSL game I think 4th is alittle ambitious. I'd peg us at 6th.

nimamalek
03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
here is the entire blurb from Ives
"So yes, Real Salt Lake and Toronto FC start off very high. With all due respect to the Dynamo, I see RSL as the favorite in the West. TFC is locked and loaded and I could absolutely see them being this year's Columbus. Yes, there are still concerns about the defense, but I'm hearing a centerback is on the way, and if he's as good as I'm hearing, Toronto will absolutely be a force in 2009."

dal524
03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
ya 4 is a little high based on those preseason matches, but we should definately be in the top half of the league

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
This was first mentioned when the Christenval rumour was killed. Corpand mentioned that he had info but was unwilling to divulge, which is fine. But his testimony, coupled with everything that we've been hearing make this seem more of a probability than a possibility.

John Terry, anyone?

Shaughno
03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
^^ No way, he'll slip and fuck it up. ;)

Jack
03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Awesome news.

Just what we needed! Come on, Mo!

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
ugh, call me when something actually happens. or maybe we should just book off every friday for a few months waiting for our new CB :rolleyes:

anto7
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Now that made me laugh !!(United fan also)

anto7
03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
^^ No way, he'll slip and fuck it up. ;)
Sorry, meaning Shaughno's comment(No way he'll slip and fuck it up)

TFC Cityboy
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
here is the entire blurb from Ives
"So yes, Real Salt Lake and Toronto FC start off very high. With all due respect to the Dynamo, I see RSL as the favorite in the West. TFC is locked and loaded and I could absolutely see them being this year's Columbus. Yes, there are still concerns about the defense, but I'm hearing a centerback is on the way, and if he's as good as I'm hearing, Toronto will absolutely be a force in 2009."

Thought the season ticket package was a bit lumpy- looks like there may be a centre back in there...hang on I'll see who it is...

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I just want a giant human to put in front of Sutton, preferably one with a nasty disposition and a penchant for tackling. He'll want to defend so well that he'll try to make most of Sutton's saves for him, often turning the ball away with his head before it reaches the six-yard box. He will routinely out-run Wynne to strip the ball from a winger, before racing upfield with it to send a perfect cross onto Vitti's head. We won't fault him for this because he is never caught out of position due to his breathtaking pace. And then we will win the league.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
think big, but not that big.....:canada:

Shaughno
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
^^ Is that supposed to be a hint?

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Ok quick everyone, let's start posting all Canadian CBs and their current status in Europe.

Shaughno
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
That's exactly what my next post was going to be :lol:

Parkdale
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Outlook: Led by Dwayne DeRosario, revamped TFC could be this year's Columbus Crew.

ummm..... Ives is smart enough to know just how much that joke stings.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 01:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_soccer_players

Print it out, hang it on the wall and throw a dart... you might get lucky.

Shaughno
03-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Outlook: Led by Dwayne DeRosario, revamped TFC could be this year's Columbus Crew.

ummm..... Ives is smart enough to know just how much that joke stings.

Why does it sting? I wouldn't mind winning the double actually.

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM

if that's a hint lets see how he reacts to this statement.

I just want a 32 year old to put in front of Sutton, preferably one with a European passport and a penchant for tackling. He'll want to defend so well that he'll try to make most of Sutton's saves for him, often turning the ball away with his head before it reaches the six-yard box because he is between 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 4. He will routinely out-run Wynne to strip the ball from a winger, before racing upfield with it to send a perfect cross onto Vitti's head. We won't fault him for this because he is currently out of contact due to his breathtaking pace. And then we will win the league.

Parkdale
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Why does it sting? I wouldn't mind winning the double actually.

he knows how much we dislike the Crew, and how they dislike us.
I can't think of any other teams that have been swiping at each other
like we've been doing over the offseason, mostly because we're headed back there.

Ageroo
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Is this another David Edgar sighting? :)

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Haha H, nice edit. I was going to suggest a "Better than/Less than" game.

Right now we know that he's better than Harmse, but not as good as John Terry.

Can we narrow it down?!?!?!?!?!! :)

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
if that's a hint lets see how he reacts to this statement.

I just want a 32 year old to put in front of Sutton, preferably one with a European passport and a penchant for tackling. He'll want to defend so well that he'll try to make most of Sutton's saves for him, often turning the ball away with his head before it reaches the six-yard box because he is between 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 4. He will routinely out-run Wynne to strip the ball from a winger, before racing upfield with it to send a perfect cross onto Vitti's head. We won't fault him for this because he is currently out of contact due to his breathtaking pace. And then we will win the league.

hmm..don't get it.

Shaughno
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
he knows how much we dislike the Crew, and how they dislike us.
I can't think of any other teams that have been swiping at each other
like we've been doing over the offseason, mostly because we're headed back there.

I don't dislike the Crew anymore than any other MLS team. I dislike Chicago Fire and NY RedBulls.

People have been 'swiping' because they can't let idiots on BigSoccer be. Instead they jump in making equally retarded comments and now you have two sides of idiots going at each other.

Ives does a job, in comparing us to the Crew he was giving us a compliment. Instead of digging deep and looking for negativity, we should realize he's complimenting our squad and comparing them to a DOUBLE winning squad, the best team in the league last year.

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't dislike the Crew anymore than any other MLS team. I dislike Chicago Fire and NY RedBulls.

People have been 'swiping' because they can't let idiots on BigSoccer be. Instead they jump in making equally retarded comments and now you have two sides of idiots going at each other.

Ives does a job, in comparing us to the Crew he was giving us a compliment. Instead of digging deep and looking for negativity, we should realize he's complimenting our squad and comparing them to a DOUBLE winning squad, the best team in the league last year.

Yeap, agreed! I would like to replace the Crew in the standings any day. It was a compliment.

Calvin
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Fun Fact: When I typed "canadian national team" in on google, our soccer teams page came up before the hockey teams. In fact it was the actual site, mens soccer wiki and then hockey.

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
^^Probably because the hockey team seems to be officially "Team Canada." Type that in an it's only hockey.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Stalteri unhappy in Germany?
:noidea:

Pigfynn
03-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Probably him^^

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Hmmm. I don't know if that makes me as happy as I wanted to be.

Jack
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Another right back?

Ageroo
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Ives said Centre Back...so I don't think it is him.....

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Hmmm. I don't know if that makes me as happy as I wanted to be.

you're not sure that guess based off of an unsubstantiated rumour makes you as happy as you'd want to be right? ;):canada:

Shaughno
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
^^ :lol: I am happy that an unsubstantiated rumour is at least rearing it's head.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Im totally guessing on Stalteri.
The only reason I mentioned him is because his play for the NT would indicate he holds a strong tie to his roots and because he'd be familier with playing with Serioux, Harmse and Brennen.

bee dubya
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Hastings?

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
:) hahaha yes that's exactly what I mean. I'm happy with our progress this off-season, I'm just excited for the season to start now, all this speculation is just some good fun to pass the time. I was hoping that someone had heard from their cousin in the homeland that Puyol recently heard about the beautiful, far-off city of Toronto and wanted to experience it firsthand, as a working member of the community, so was overjoyed when he found out there was a professional football side in town...

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Hastings?

He's been rumoured before. He's 32. Very possible.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
I would be even less excited about Hastings.

Dare to dream - They're getting Stalteri to replace Wynne whos being traded for Conrad?

I think I just got wood thinking about that.

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I be even less excited about Hastings.

Yeap, me too. Though I've only seen him play with CMNT. What really wouldn't exite me is losing our two starting CBs (Serioux and Hastings) every time Canada plays. On top of that, Harmse got called up last time as well so we could see 3 CBs out. That would leave Velez and the other team's striker as the center of our defense.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Was there a hint that the defender being brought in is Canadian?

colman1860
03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Cannavaro (think big - big name; but not that big - he's tiny)

One can dream...

Stryker
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Kevin McKenna!!!!

Currently a CB sub for German Bundesliga side FC Koln.
Plays for CMNT
6'3
29 years old
Can also play as a midfielder or even striker but don't let it fool you he'd be a top notch CB in MLS.

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen any hint mention that he is a Canadian. Let's see MoJo drop serious cash on a DP central defender.

BuSaPuNk
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
As soon as I heard this on Ives I thought about Ricketts on the Footy Show a month back or so. He was all over Ledley King being a "rock" of a defender and such. Probably way out of left field becuase he is still under contract with Tottenham until 2010 and he is the captain....but hey we can dream can't we?

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Well if we're dreaming I'm gonna say it'd be great to get Matthew Upson over here. He fits the bill of what we need. And isn't available. So I bet it's him.

boban
03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Another right back?
Corluka plays right back but has played in the centre at times.
Srna plays midfield at the national level, but right back for Shakter, Brennan has played for similar positions also. In today's age if a defender wants a job he has to be versitile and adapt.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
But thats the nice thing about hearing a rumor about a "big player", it lets us dream abit for a change. Players do get let out of contracts.
I know his contract was ending at the time but I remember telling my friend that Beckham was going to LA and he thought I was a stark raving loon.

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Don't say things like "Ledley King"... it would gut my Spurs and be the best moment of my football fan career all at the same time.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Ledley King would be killer, but there’s all his injury problems, it’s not like he’d be less injury prone in the MLS.

t-bag
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if the rumor was about Hastings. ICT looked all but certain to be relegated only a few weeks ago which would have helped push him out the door. Couldnt have seen him wanting to play against the likes of Pozniak in Div 1 of Scottish football.

Also heard that Rio and Fergie had a bit of a falling out at training and that he might be headed westward...

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I haven't seen any hint mention that he is a Canadian. Let's see MoJo drop serious cash on a DP central defender.

I don't know about you but this was a pretty big hint that he's Canadian. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

ginkster88
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Hm, that is a good point. Oh well, season starts this weekend, and eventually we'll know who he is/if he exists at all.

GeorgeB
03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
As soon as I heard this on Ives I thought about Ricketts on the Footy Show a month back or so. He was all over Ledley King being a "rock" of a defender and such. Probably way out of left field becuase he is still under contract with Tottenham until 2010 and he is the captain....but hey we can dream can't we?the problem with King is that although a very good defender he has bad knees.bad enough that he doesnt play two games in a row.with the turf i dont think it would work out for him.

bhoybobby
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Ledley barely practices his knees are that bad. Remind me again why we got rid of Marshall!!!

FFS Harmse is a fecking donkey, wouldn't get a game for Rangers. lol

wzhxvy
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
If I had my pick...and I always butcher the guys last name...but Kozlowski...he was the best defender for Team Canada...

Daveisonfire
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
If I had my pick...and I always butcher the guys last name...but Kozlowski...he was the best defender for Team Canada...

Klukowski plays left back if I recall correctly, not sure if he plays CB aswell though

wzhxvy
03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe Marcel Dejong ?

wzhxvy
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Or Richard Hastings...has to be one of those 3 guys...

Nuvinho
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
so a CB coming in July? What about the defence in March, April, May, June.....

wzhxvy
03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
There is no way man....July is too freaking late...way way too late...you are giving me heart burn here...is July confirmed ???

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
absolutely nothing about any of this is confirmed

Keegan
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Im totally guessing on Stalteri.
The only reason I mentioned him is because his play for the NT would indicate he holds a strong tie to his roots and because he'd be familier with playing with Serioux, Harmse and Brennen.

I would guess that we are getting Iain Hume to play central defender before Stalteri coming back to Toronto. haha

But seriously Stalteri would be AWESOME in a couple years

Stalteri just signed for Gladbach and they are on a tear since him signing and they are climbing up the standings out of the relegation zone. Also signed a 2 year contract I believe. To add to that it seems him and Rob Friend are having a great time, Stalteri assisted on friend's goal in their win last weekend.

One thing you can say about Stalteri he is a winner. No matter what you say he IS a winner. He won the Gold Cup, he won the CONCACAF u20 championship, he won every trophy in Germany with Werder. When he left fans held signs with maple leafs saying "Danke Paul" then he went to start for spurs who gave up their lowest GA total in 20 years or something. Year by year he started less for them and the goals against total climbed and climbed, hmm and look at them this year. Moved to Fulham and was a big part of pulling them out of relegation. Then has now moved to Gladbach and has pulled them out of relegation, their goal differential numbers turn around has been incredible since he joined.

So... why did Paul get benched for Tottenham is the question? When obviously the team was better with him in the team than without. :noidea:

jloome
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I would guess that we are getting Iain Hume to play central defender before Stalteri coming back to Toronto. haha

But seriously Stalteri would be AWESOME in a couple years

Stalteri just signed for Gladbach and they are on a tear since him signing and they are climbing up the standings out of the relegation zone. Also signed a 2 year contract I believe. To add to that it seems him and Rob Friend are having a great time, Stalteri assisted on friend's goal in their win last weekend.

One thing you can say about Stalteri he is a winner. No matter what you say he IS a winner. He won the Gold Cup, he won the CONCACAF u20 championship, he won every trophy in Germany with Werder. When he left fans held signs with maple leafs saying "Danke Paul" then he went to start for spurs who gave up their lowest GA total in 20 years or something. Year by year he started less for them and the goals against total climbed and climbed, hmm and look at them this year. Moved to Fulham and was a big part of pulling them out of relegation. Then has now moved to Gladbach and has pulled them out of relegation, their goal differential numbers turn around has been incredible since he joined.

So... why did Paul get benched for Tottenham is the question? When obviously the team was better with him in the team than without. :noidea:

Questioning the wisdom of Juande Ramos, who reached perhaps unparalleled lows in getting less with more, is like questioning the tides.