PDA

View Full Version : Who will be in goal for the Reds this season?

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2009, 12:31 AM
With Brian Edwards and Stefan Frei fighting out for spot on the roster mostly backing up Greg Sutton unless something changes in practice this week, who do you see making up the Reds goaltending duo this year, I just do not see them keeping three around on the 24 man roster, maybe the could get the MLS to sign the third as an emergency player as David Monsalve made the move to Europe in 2009, should be interesting.

Markham_RPB
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Sutton Starter
Frei Back-up

Does that leave Edwards to be trade bait ?

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I just do not see you getting much for Edwards, maybe some sort of allocation or a draft pick.

Markham_RPB
03-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I just do not see you getting much for Edwards, maybe some sort of allocation or a draft pick.

Exacty !
There isnt really much use for him on TFC as a possible 3rd string keeper, and you cant really get much for him !

Is a starter in this league ? Probably Not
Could he be a decent back-up or a possible 1-2 combo of a goalie - Yes

I just think some sort of allocation or draft pick is the most we will see from him.

Maybe in the next 6 days with the opener being in Kanas City on Saturday , what Carver will do with the goalie situation regarding Frei / Edwards !

colman1860
03-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I think that judging by playing time in preseason, Carver is going to go out on a limb (like at the beginning of last season) and start Frei. Sutton to back him up, but that could all change if Frei struggles. Edward will likely be released/traded.

I actually wrote an article about the goalkeeping situation at my blog today - leave your thoughts there if you want: http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/season-preview-goalkeeping.html

hrvat87
03-16-2009, 01:05 AM
frei-sutton back up...edwards dropped out of the team,JC said that yesterday's starting 11 is reallly close to the one that will run out on the field on saturday vs KC.

Markham_RPB
03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
I think that judging by playing time in preseason, Carver is going to go out on a limb (like at the beginning of last season) and start Frei. Sutton to back him up, but that could all change if Frei struggles. Edward will likely be released/traded.

I actually wrote an article about the goalkeeping situation at my blog today - leave your thoughts there if you want: http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/season-preview-goalkeeping.html

Solid read !

Agree with you regarding Edwards being the odd man out . However I dont know if we will see Frei come Saturday Night. I expect Sutton to play Saturday , but with Carver at the helm you simply dont know !

colman1860
03-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Solid read !

Agree with you regarding Edwards being the odd man out . However I dont know if we will see Frei come Saturday Night. I expect Sutton to play Saturday , but with Carver at the helm you simply dont know !

Definitely not sure either, I only think it will be the case since he played 2 out of the three Charleston games, and based on the other players, Carver played our starting XI. We'll have to wait and see until Saturday. To be honest, I feel comfortable with either - Sutton's a solid keeper, and Frei has looked good to me so far aswell.

Don Julio
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
If Sutton isn't starting he'll be gone in a month. Too much much money wrapped up in him.

Markham_RPB
03-16-2009, 01:40 AM
If Sutton isn't starting he'll be gone in a month. Too much much money wrapped up in him.

Greg Sutton
GK
Base Salary: $157,500.00
Guaranteed Compensation: $165,062.50

7th Highest paid player !

Still Kicking
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Respectfully disagree about trading/cutting Greg Sutton. I think he will be with TFC for the season. With your biggest concern at the back, no matter the salary hit why give up on your veteran keeper? Remember Canadian status is a benefit to TFC and no other MLS team. How many of the US based teams have international keepers ?? I can only think of two off the top of my head- Salas in Dallas (and he may have a green card by now) and Ricketts in LA. I think the starter in KC is connected to the unfilled roster spot. If TFC brings in a surprise defender this week - then the vet Sutton has the inside track on the start in KC. Nobody new(and a healthy Serioux)then I expect Frei.
As for Edwards, he may not have high trade value as a standalone, but he could be packaged with another more valued player...

TFC FORZA RPB
03-16-2009, 08:21 AM
lol it seems as though we are all agree on this one

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
That is for sure, I thought it would go this way. Should be interesting come Saturday.

Steve
03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
No way we're getting rid of Sutton for the season. He's a big, imposing player, he's a great shot stopper, and most importantly, he has experience. I'm fine with starting Frei for now, but I think it's good for everyone if Frei knows he has a good vet behind him ready to take over should he slip. It not only motivates him, but it prevents him from breaking under the "wow, the weight of the team is on my shoulders" thoughts. Frei is good, and I think he will only get better, but there's no way I would be comfortable having only young keepers on the squad.

Don Julio
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I would stick with Sutton, too, however there is no sense in having him playing behind anyone. That money could go a long way to fixing our defense. Hell, it would make room for a DP. You can't have $175,000 sitting on the bench to motivate someone.

BuSaPuNk
03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Sutton starting Frei coming off the bench. Sutton is the proven starter unless he starts to screw up the job is his to lose. I think we will hold on to Edwards until we realistically have to get rid of him. There are alot of teams that are thin in goal and I think Mo will take advantage if anyother teams goaltending gets really bad. Be bad to see Edwards leave I really think he is a soild keeper but that is the business of this sport.

Tintin
03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Start Frei. Keep Sutton in case Frei can't do the Job. If Frei does the Job, trade Sutton and use the money for a CB.

jloome
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Start Frei. Keep Sutton in case Frei can't do the Job. If Frei does the Job, trade Sutton and use the money for a CB.

Based on what? We've hardly seen Frei play at all, let alone against game pressure in an MLS matchup. Starting him would be about as foolish as starting Brian Edwards was last season.

rocker
03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I've seen only 2 games from Frei. The first one, he was barely tested at all.
The second one, he was OK.. that Movsisyan goal was probably gonna happen on Sutton too, but I felt like he coulda come out and challenged a bit better.

I would not trust my season to a rookie. I think sometimes we almost know TOO MUCH about Greg Sutton, so we get too critical. Guys who we know little about look that much better... but if we played Edwards or Frei a whole season we'd probably start complaining cuz we'd see their faults over the long term.

LucaGol
03-17-2009, 11:37 AM
You keep Edwards until halfway through the season until some team becomes completely screwed in net because of injuries.

Then you offer up Edwards and try and squeeze the most out of them possible.

That would be my plan.

leroy
03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
i am a big sutton fan, but i think frei will get the start and sutton will be the backup. might not be until a few weeks in, but i think carver has big plans for frei.

djking2
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Maybe we should look at the kid on the senior academy team. He stopped a PK today:)