PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC takes on 'yard' flavour

Jamaicanadian
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Toronto FC takes on 'yard' flavour

Published: Sunday | March 15, 2009

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writerhttp://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090315/sports/images/Layout1_1_P3MSTmithclefAM.jpg
Johann Smith (left) and Rohan Ricketts. - photo by Gordon Williams

Colonialism hitched Jamaica to British football's wagon. But now local fans could be drawn beyond Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea to a league - and at least one particular team - closer to home.
Toronto FC, a fledgling United States Major League Soccer (MLS) in a Canadian city heavily populated by Jamaicans, is taking on a distinct 'yard' flavour.

Despite the recent departures of Tyrone Marshall and Jeff Cunningham, when the club kicks off its season on March 21, it could still feature a roster of three players with strong Jamaican roots, another star embedded in the country's culture, plus a host of fans with ties to the island.
"Look, you always try to take the best guys available," said Mo Johnston, Toronto FC's director of soccer during the club's recent preseason camp in the US. "Hopefully, we have the Jamaican flavour and maybe we can win the championship."

The current flavour is brewed from the trio of O'Brian White, Rohan Ricketts and Johann Smith. Jamaica-born White, a highly touted rookie forward, is recovering from injury. But he has embraced the growing Jamaican influence at Toronto FC. as a teenager

"Definitely," said White, a 23-year-old native of Ocho Rios, who emigrated as a teenager to live in Canada with his mother. "When I got drafted, I looked at that because I knew Tyrone before ... . Even though all the other guys are cool, it's good to know somebody from your culture (is on the team).
" ... So far I've had a lot of (Jamaican) friends who are telling me they are going to get my jersey and get my tickets and all that. It's been a strong support so far."

Both Ricketts' parents and Smith's mother are from Denham Town, west Kingston. The two played for Toronto FC in 2008. They recognise the Jamaican influx and the impact of representing 'yard'.
"It should help the fan base," said 26-year-old midfielder Ricketts, who was born in London, England, played for several British clubs, and was once called to the senior Reggae Boyz squad.

"We talk about Jamaica," added US-born Smith, 21, a forward who also played professionally in England.
"We talk about our culture. When it's time to go out, we have a full night out ... . We go to Jamaican restaurants. We sit and eat, chat and we have a lot of things in common."

The menu at team get-togethers may now feature as much jerked chicken and curried goat as burgers and fries; theconversations more balanced between rock and reggae. The Jamaican connection even extends to Canada international Dwayne De Rosario, who has Guyanese parents, but whose father attended school in Jamaica. De Rosario still visits the island and his doctor is Jamaican. Growing up, he represented teams in Canada dominated by Caribbean players. He can speak Jamaican 'patwa'.

"It's good, it's positive," De Rosario, whose favourite album is Bob Marley's Babylon by Bus, said of the Jamaican influence at Toronto FC.
great talent "It's good because it shows that the West Indies is always producing great talent."

Toronto FC has already attracted a significant regional presence. Tribal Rhythm Nation, a passionate group of mainly Afro-Latin-Caribbean immigrant fans, descends on BMO Field with drums, whistles and to support the home team each game. Hundreds of Jamaicans also turned out to back the Reggae Boyz against Canada during a World Cup qualifier last August at the same stadium. Toronto FC's players noticed.

"It seemed like there were mainly Jamaican fans," said Ricketts.
So did the club's management, which said it has scouted Jamaican talent and has been impressed, especially by the speed, athleticism and skill of the players. The technical staff attended a recent game played by Jamaica's Under-20s. The club has no qualms about signing Boyz if they fit Toronto's plans.

"No, no, no, no," said coach John Carver. "If they're 11 Jamaicans and they're good enough (to win the MLS they'll play) ... . That's how I look at it."

Other MLS clubs have Jamaicans on their rosters. Marshall, who has moved to the Seattle Sounders and Cunningham to FC Dallas are among the big names. Andy Williams, Real Salt Lake; Omar Cummings, Colorado Rapids; Shavar Thomas, Chivas USA; and Dane Richards of New York Red Bulls are veterans scattered across America's top league as well.

National goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts recently signed with the Los Angeles Galaxy, while Portmore United's Eric Vernan has been invited to try out with DC United this season. In the past, national players Onandi Lowe, Christopher Dawes, Damani Ralph, Fabian Taylor, Jermaine Hue and Robert Scarlett have played in the MLS.

But Toronto FC appears to have secured the largest Jamaican cluster so far. One club official said the "cheaper" talent from the Caribbean could result in more arriving. "I think it's a good opportunity for young Jamaican players to come to," Marshall said.

Meanwhile, with the MLS season beginning just as Britain's is winding down, Jamaican football fans will have the option to cast their passion elsewhere.
"The England leagues have been there for so long," said De Rosario. "A lot of Jamaicans went over there and have been successful. But now you have Jamaicans close to their own backyard, playing in the MLS, that maybe they should continue to support and pay attention to and see them as their careers grow."

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090315/sports/sports5.html

dantdot
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Hundreds of Jamaicans also turned out to back the Reggae Boyz against Canada during a World Cup qualifier last August at the same stadium. Toronto FC's players noticed.

"It seemed like there were mainly Jamaican fans," said Ricketts.Does not compute.

wzhxvy
03-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Based on Ricketts' ability to find the net, and the above, he clearly has vision/eye sight issues.

gmacpheetfc
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
^ahahaha

TFC OZZ
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
^hahaha ruthless chirp

MusicMaster
03-15-2009, 11:00 PM
He can speak Jamaican 'patwa'.

lol. I believe the proper term is Jamaican 'Patois'.

Stryker
03-15-2009, 11:24 PM
black jersey isn't too shabby

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2009, 11:40 PM
I like the black jerseys, but I really wish our away jerseys were white. Too many people use black, and the light grey colour we use now is awful

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
dudes prob just saying that cuz its for a jamaican paper

Cashcleaner
03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
I wonder if its a bit of a shock for some of the guys to see how well-integrated differing people and cultures are here in Canada. I mean, while the stands are dominated by white English-speaking Canadians, its still a very diverse crowd compared to other MLS cities. Be interesting to find out, I think.

Calvin
03-16-2009, 12:43 AM
sorry to bring up an afternoon of such despair but does anyone else remember the Jamaican national anthem at the world cup qualifier? Jamica BOOM jamaaica BOOM, sick.

Azerban
03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
"It's good, it's positive," De Rosario, whose favourite album is Bob Marley's Babylon by Bus, said of the Jamaican influence at Toronto FC.

if i ever got to smoke a j with dero my list of things to do before i die would be half as long

Steve
03-16-2009, 08:44 AM
sorry to bring up an afternoon of such despair but does anyone else remember the Jamaican national anthem at the world cup qualifier? Jamica BOOM jamaaica BOOM, sick.

Longest anthem ever. Everytime I thought it was over it would be another "Jamaica..... BOOOM..... Jamaica.... BOOOM... Jamaica land we love".

Anyway, I know it was probably due to it being a Jamaican paper and all, but seriously Ricketts? You seriously thought there were more Jamaicans there? Did you miss the thousands of people walking by you as you tried to film your TFCTV spot? Sorry, that was probably the first time in Toronto that Canada fans won the day over Jamaican fans, so I'm kind of pissed he would say something like that.

Roogsy
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Does it really matter? Isn't it all just perception? And who cares? Ricketts is not Canadian so why would we expect him to give a Canadian perspective?

The point is, it was a successful event from an organizational point of view (must be a first for the CSA) and the only negative was the failure on the day was Canada's inability to take control of the game (a failure it had throughout the qualifiers).

If a little Jamaica-cheering goes on in a local paper, do we care? Especially if it gets more people pumped for TFC?

Seriously...get a grip people.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
03-16-2009, 11:15 AM
That game totally turned me on to Jamaican footy. They have great support, and I like playing Jamaica more than other CONCACAF teams because their "style of play" is better suited to ours, which results in fewer questionable "officiating incidents".

I would feel the same about T&T, but that's the vortex or CONCACAF corruption, so fuck them (except when they play the US).

leroy
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
lol. I believe the proper term is Jamaican 'Patois'.

haha, was gonna say the same thing.

i guess we might need a few 'patois' chants to add to the repertoire...

Inklink
03-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Yes. In fact, I have it recorded on my PC and just came across it again last week. I should YouTube it sometime soon :D

scooter
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
curry goat and peas and rice at bmo/right on

TOBOR !
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
JAIMACANADIAN - thanks for posting the article and the link. Makes one realise that we aren't the only ones who like to read about the successes we obtain - however big or small.

Jamaicanadian
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah...no problem Tobor!! Personally, I love to read about the TFC impact and influence in other locales......

The Jamaican connection even extends to Canada international Dwayne De Rosario, who has Guyanese parents, but whose father attended school in Jamaica. De Rosario still visits the island and his doctor is Jamaican. Growing up, he represented teams in Canada dominated by Caribbean players.
The quote above is why I support Flush's DeRo (Bandelero) chant (link below). Only in the T-dot can we make this kinda unique chant happen and most importantly in an authentic way!!
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=415068#post415068

P.S. The Jamaican anthem at BMO was a classic...sent chills up my spine...Only Jamaicans would consider remixing their anthem LOL!.....check that: search Youtube if you've never seen Marvin Gay's remix of the US national anthem at the NBA Allstar game I think it was '83....... BOOM! :)

FluSH
03-16-2009, 06:14 PM
You should never diss the Champion
He's name is DeRo
He's the number ONE!

Bobo
03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
if i ever got to smoke a j with dero my list of things to do before i die would be half as long

Amen.

celt-nick
03-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Bro just wait till you see what we just did. I almost PM'd you to let you in on the secret cause of your posts I've read (and I don't even know you) stay tuned for an Epic post coming soon from Flush.

Cheers,

celt-nick aka Napz

Yeah...no problem Tobor!! Personally, I love to read about the TFC impact and influence in other locales......

The quote above is why I support Flush's DeRo (Bandelero) chant (link below). Only in the T-dot can we make this kinda unique chant happen and most importantly in an authentic way!!
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=415068#post415068

P.S. The Jamaican anthem at BMO was a classic...sent chills up my spine...Only Jamaicans would consider remixing their anthem LOL!.....check that: search Youtube if you've never seen Marvin Gay's remix of the US national anthem at the NBA Allstar game I think it was '83....... BOOM! :)

Hustle
03-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Yes. In fact, I have it recorded on my PC and just came across it again last week. I should YouTube it sometime soon :D

Put it up there...I would like to check it out.