PDA

View Full Version : Starting CB's for KC

djking2
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Now that we've all had the chance to see the team in action I can't help but wonder what the consensus is on what our best CB pairing will be next weekend

Bobo
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Fuck, Nana?

Nuvinho
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I am HOPING that there is a signing this week. We do have 1 more open roster spot.

As well, both Edwards and Jo Smith haven't got much playing time, could they be on the way out?? We also don't know the extent of Serioux' injury.

If Serioux is healthy - Serioux and Velez

If Serioux is hurt - Robinson and Velez

If we sign someone - Serioux and new CB

If we trade Wynne for Conrad (not gonna happen, but mentioned before), back 4

Serioux-Conrad-Velez-Brennan

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
We will have to wait and see Serioux's health status before answering this question.

djking2
03-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Fuck, Nana?

So that's none of the above then?

rocker
03-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Nana does deserve a shot if he overcomes that injury. Might as well see what he can do.

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Nana is a good up and coming player, I liked what I saw when he got first team minutes.

KRO
03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
I voted none of the above. From what Carver said last night it would not surprise me if it was Velez and Robinson whether Robbo wants it or not.

FluSH
03-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Marco...

Pigfynn
03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
....Velez!

T_Mizz
03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I really want to see this Gomez kid hopefully by late season he's the other starter but right now he's not fit, he's not been training with the club, and he's not played any games, so realistically he shouldn't start opening day

profit89
03-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Sanyang

T_Mizz
03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
^Not allowed until august

poppamidnight
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
C'mon peeps

Nana IS NOT a natural CB

He's being groomed into Wynne's replacement (once we sell him)

The ONLY reason carver ever said Nana should be CB is when he had no other options (i believe when we traded Tyronne and our impending signing bailed on us)

If you claim that Nana SHOULD be our starting CB, I'm sorry, but im gunna look down on your intelligence...
...in fact Im gunna lump such people into the same category as those people who - over the past 4 months - tried to tell me Harmse had the ability to develop himself into a starting CB....

...where our those people now?
... Officially the "Iraq had weapons of mass destruction" believers of this forum

AKA - nobody will listen to them no more

rocker
03-15-2009, 03:28 PM
C'mon peeps

Nana IS NOT a natural CB
I'm sorry, but im gunna look down on your intelligence...

So you're looking down on the intelligence of JOHN CARVER too??

In the words of John Carver, you are wrong:

"His versatility is a big plus and it's to his benefit that he can play as a central defender or at right back," Carver explained. "He's probably best as a centre half, but being able to switch to the right is another string to his bow and gives him more opportunities to play in the team."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090106&content_id=210802&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

You need to get off the hobby horse and realize Nana is equally capable of playing on the right or in the centre of defense, and he`s not being groomed to be a RB. This is from the words of his coach and it has NOTHING to do with not having any options. Actually, from Carver`s quote you can see that he`s only slotted in at RB to give him options for making the starting 11, not the other way around.

Carver says he`s best in the middle of the defense
Poppamightnight says he`s not.

Who should I believe.... hmm...

cementhead
03-15-2009, 04:50 PM
After yesterday game we should be looking at a whole new back line everyone was bad!
Carver said you could drive a bus thought it!

Dunkers
03-15-2009, 05:03 PM
If you claim that Nana SHOULD be our starting CB, I'm sorry, but im gunna look down on your intelligence...

Man, in your world your up here

and everyone else that doesnt have the same opinion as you is down here
get over yourself, or become a megalomanic dictator

Stryker
03-15-2009, 05:10 PM
C'mon peeps

Nana IS NOT a natural CB

The ONLY reason carver ever said Nana should be CB is when he had no other options (i believe when we traded Tyronne and our impending signing bailed on us)

...in fact Im gunna lump such people into the same category as those people who - over the past 4 months - tried to tell me Harmse had the ability to develop himself into a starting CB....

... Officially the "Iraq had weapons of mass destruction" believers of this forum

:skep:

:dita:

T_Mizz
03-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Quick question: where does Nana play for the U-20s?

TFC OZZ
03-15-2009, 06:27 PM

"His versatility is a big plus and it's to his benefit that he can play as a central defender or at right back," Carver explained. "He's probably best as a centre half, but being able to switch to the right is another string to his bow and gives him more opportunities to play in the team."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090106&content_id=210802&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

You need to get off the hobby horse and realize Nana is equally capable of playing on the right or in the centre of defense, and he`s not being groomed to be a RB. This is from the words of his coach and it has NOTHING to do with not having any options. Actually, from Carver`s quote you can see that he`s only slotted in at RB to give him options for making the starting 11, not the other way around.

Thank god someone else is paying attention. Took the words out of my mouth.

Stryker
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Based on how he finished last season I thought Harmse could be a decent CB if he could wrap his head around the positioning aspect better.
This weekend showed he's too hot headed though to be trusted with tackling in a last man back postion
I sure as hell don't want Velez to start but if its a matter of choosing the lessor of two evils then Velez's height and arial game give him the advantage.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
a signing keeps getting mentioned and i hope it happens soon cuz we currently dont have the defenders necessary

Nuvinho
03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
One thing about Harmse, he plays soccer like hockey. He acts like a goon. The only reason why he got the 1st yellow card, was after the RSL player got into it with DeRo, and then he retaliated.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I picked Serioux and Velez for now.

poppamidnight
03-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Okay you didn't read my entire post - i EXPLICITLY NOTED carver's comments - But R-E-A-D - I said look at the dates the comments were said:

January 6th

While I was off by 1 month (w/ the Marshall estimate) - It doesnt change the fact Carver said these comments at a time when there was a glaring hole in the CB of which the MEDIA WAS FOCUSING ON

....an attempt to appease the media?

....Seems more likely

I'm a communications major - I understand PR - you appease their wants so they don't rag on you and effect your sale

....you honestly didnt believe this did you?

...Notably the fact this one was a front page story on TFC.com at the time (and not significant TFC placement in other media)

...Tell me you arent this gullible

Did you believe Iraq had weapons of mass destruction to?

Jack
03-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Poppa, how's the air up there on that high horse?

trane
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Unless, we get another CB, I think Nana has to be given the startng CB sport, he is smallish, but he has the height, and for my money he is the most steady option out there, in a position that steady is what you want. Serioux-Nana is the pairing if one of the Gambian's do not step up, or another experienced CB gets in there. Harmse is gets called for fauls to often, he will give up penalties, PK and leave us short handed. We can not afford that. When he play under control he could be good, but too often he does not. Velez has made too many mistakes for my money.

Other, meaning Serioux-Nana.

felipe
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Poppa, you are a moron

I hope you're enjoying your internet college communications degree

Congrats, you've been added to my ignore list

T_Mizz
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm not entirely sure about the context in which those words were said but it seems to me that a more obvious and preferable method by which to appease the media would just be to say, "we're bringing in a few guys for a trial, we've got a few guys on the radar that we'd like to have a closer look at"

FluSH
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Marco...

BuSaPuNk
03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Velez!!! I think Velez has to be put in there with Serioux. He is the best we have at this time we should be using him. Nana if Velez doesn't work out. Limit Harmse with as little time on the field as possible. He should be a last 15-10 mins sub with us being up by 2 or 3.

Keegan
03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
C'mon peeps

Nana IS NOT a natural CB

Nana IS a CB... why do you keep saying he isn't? CB is his main position.

Get off FIFA, get off Football Manager. BELIEVE ME CB is equal to RB for him. He played CB for the U20s

Section 117
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
In my opinion Serioux and Velez till July when the transfer market opens and then we sign are much need CB. Hopefully, we will still be in contention for a playoff spot and that would put us over the top...

Just my two cents...

arbogast
03-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Serioux is just as reckless and just as bad positionally as Harmse.

We don't need 1 new Cb we need 2.

Steve
03-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Serioux is just as reckless and just as bad positionally as Harmse.

We don't need 1 new Cb we need 2.

My problem with Serioux is I don't think he knows he's playing CB. He seems to like to make too many runs forwards, and play around with the ball under pressure too much. He just needs to settle down and understand he should be playing a no-nonsense defensive position. We don't need him to generate offense, or make runs. We have a great offensive midfield, plus two WBs that love to make runs forward, he needs to stay back and be an anchor.

arbogast
03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
My problem with Serioux is I don't think he knows he's playing CB. He seems to like to make too many runs forwards, and play around with the ball under pressure too much. He just needs to settle down and understand he should be playing a no-nonsense defensive position. We don't need him to generate offense, or make runs. We have a great offensive midfield, plus two WBs that love to make runs forward, he needs to stay back and be an anchor.
Agreed. I guess he still must be still used to playing RB.

David_Oliveira
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I liked how Velez came on. Harmse is not a CB so I think JC will start his most experienced duo

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
i think its gonna be serioux and the new defender we have been promised and has been mentioned a billion times (see that ives article in the news section)

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
its not logical that Mo would stop here with the defenders we have, its basically the exact same as last year which we know how that ended.

Section 117
03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
i think its gonna be serioux and the new defender we have been promised and has been mentioned a billion times (see that ives article in the news section)

I heard that the new CB won't be coming until the next transfer window opens which is July....

PS - Don't believe everything IVES writes unless it has to with the Shite Bulls

reggie
03-16-2009, 10:18 AM
july....we are fucked.

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I gotta say, people have a real short term memory. I think if this poll was put up 1 week ago, then Harmse would have been preferred over Velez. Harmse had 1 bad game in pre-season and everyone is ready to write him off. Well, Velez had MANY bad games last year and I think people are forgetting that.

Don't get me wrong, they are both shit and neither one of them deserves to be a CB in my opinion. But at this point, I believe Harmse won the spot (as indicated by Carver's decision making in Charleton). It's now Harmse position to lose and I'm not sure 1 bad game is enough. Either way, I think Carver has a tough decision.

djking2
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Since we sit so close in 109 I know a least once or twice a game I'll hear you yelling "break his legs" Pachuco. If Carver starts Harmse on a regular basis this year I have no doubt your wish will come true:)

Super Cereal
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
To be honest, I'd prefer Serioux-Nana. After that, Serioux-Harmse, but I wouldn't mind seeing Gomez start either.

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Since we sit so close in 109 I know a least once or twice a game I'll hear you yelling "break his legs" Pachuco. If Carver starts Harmse on a regular basis this year I have no doubt your wish will come true:)

HAHA, yeah that's true. I started saying that cause Tyrone was known for leg breaking. Now with him gone, I'll have to go with "Welcome him to the MLS" as Serioux once welcomed Beckham.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
july....we are fucked.
apparently we have a new cb on the way ;)

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 12:13 PM
apparently we have a new cb on the way ;)

Well Section 117 proved he has some inside info when he revealed Serioux was coming for sure. Even after Ives said it wasn't happening. I have to continue to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that we aren't getting any help until July. That sucks.

Stryker
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I heard that the new CB won't be coming until the next transfer window opens which is July....

So that would indicate its someone playing in Europe who needs to finish out the season there first.
Well that narrows it down to a couple thousand. :)
At least he's not another 35 year old free agent.

anto7
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
One thing about Harmse, he plays soccer like hockey. He acts like a goon. The only reason why he got the 1st yellow card, was after the RSL player got into it with DeRo, and then he retaliated.
Spot on my friend, I was thinking exactly the same thing when he got that yellow. Dero got nailed late and was pissed so tough guy Harmse decided to seek retribution and took a cheap shot at the RSL offender. I am pretty certain that Dero is man enough to take care of himself and does not need any help from a goon like Harmse.

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Spot on my friend, I was thinking exactly the same thing when he got that yellow. Dero got nailed late and was pissed so tough guy Harmse decided to seek retribution and took a cheap shot at the RSL offender. I am pretty certain that Dero is man enough to take care of himself and does not need any help from a goon like Harmse.

I had no problem with that yellow. Shit happens sometimes. It was the second yellow that drove me nuts. he got caught out of position and had to grab the guy's jersey or he was in on a break away.

pimpslapt
03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
our best bet.....probably johnny carver...and i heard one of the guys that sells chip butty's is pretty good.....can't be worse than Kevin "i will never learn....anything" Harmse (i hope he proves me wrong)

anto7
03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I had no problem with that yellow. Shit happens sometimes. It was the second yellow that drove me nuts. he got caught out of position and had to grab the guy's jersey or he was in on a break away.
Sorry, cannot agree with you on the first card. That did not have to happen and it gives a good indication of the type of mentality that Harmse displays at times.
Yes he was caught badly out of position for the 2nd card(due to him not really being a true CB) but he would not have been sent off for that offence if he had not got involved in the first incident.

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Sorry, cannot agree with you on the first card. That did not have to happen and it gives a good indication of the type of mentality that Harmse displays at times.
Yes he was caught badly out of position for the 2nd card(due to him not really being a true CB) but he would not have been sent off for that offence if he had not got involved in the first incident.

I think we'll just agree that if either card doesn't happen, he doesn't get the red :)

anto7
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I think we'll just agree that if either card doesn't happen, he doesn't get the red :)
Agreed !

Section 117
03-16-2009, 03:10 PM
So that would indicate its someone playing in Europe who needs to finish out the season there first.
Well that narrows it down to a couple thousand. :)
At least he's not another 35 year old free agent.

That is correct and I can not reveal anything else at this time as my source to keep it on the low.

No the CB will not be 35 plus, he is a very good player who could start for any team in the MLS cause he has very good soccer IQ and has extensive experience in Europe...

:drinking: Cheers!! I will let you know as soon as I can

Pachuco
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
That is correct and I can not reveal anything else at this time as my source to keep it on the low.

No the CB will not be 35 plus, he is a very good player who could start for any team in the MLS cause he has very good soccer IQ and has extensive experience in Europe...

:drinking: Cheers!! I will let you know as soon as I can

ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH....I can't take the suspense. No wait, I love it, keep it coming.

Does he have 10 toes and 10 fingers? does his last name start with Hastings and first name start with Richard?

jloome
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Poppa, you are a moron

I hope you're enjoying your internet college communications degree

Congrats, you've been added to my ignore list

Wow, took you that long. Been on mine for six months.

jloome
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
If Gomez gets his immigration clearance this week and shows enough in practise, maybe it'll be Serioux-Gomez. After watchign their dire positioning during the preseason, it can't be Serioux-Harmse, both of whom strike me as largely muscle guys with little playing sense.

If Gomez is isn't ready, it should be Marco Velez over Harmse; yes, Harmse has been given the preseason role, but he hasn't done anything with it, and he was absolutley crap there at the end of last season -- four starts, two games where he gave up a goal with bad positioning. Velez had a few bad games, but nothing like Harmse and Serioux have demonstrated in preseason.

In fact, if Serioux still insn't fit, I wouldn't start him either. He was shocking. Might as well start Gomez (who even though only 18 has been playing top level soccer in Gambia since he was 13) or Velez, who had a mixed year last year.

H Bomb
03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Well MY source has told me that he's over 30, has played most of his career in Europe (but not England) and that we should keep our ears open for thursday noonish

trane
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
If Gomez gets his immigration clearance this week and shows enough in practise, maybe it'll be Serioux-Gomez. After watchign their dire positioning during the preseason, it can't be Serioux-Harmse, both of whom strike me as largely muscle guys with little playing sense.

If Gomez is isn't ready, it should be Marco Velez over Harmse; yes, Harmse has been given the preseason role, but he hasn't done anything with it, and he was absolutley crap there at the end of last season -- four starts, two games where he gave up a goal with bad positioning. Velez had a few bad games, but nothing like Harmse and Serioux have demonstrated in preseason.

In fact, if Serioux still insn't fit, I wouldn't start him either. He was shocking. Might as well start Gomez (who even though only 18 has been playing top level soccer in Gambia since he was 13) or Velez, who had a mixed year last year.

That does not sound like we resolved our CB problem, does it? But your assessment is not far from mine, and seemingly many if not most others.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Is Gomez even a CB? All the site official TFC site says is "defender". Anyone know what Nana’s status is? I know was injured in the U20 WC qualifying campaign, but I haven’t herd anything lately.

reggie
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
gomez is still with the club?
where did you hear that?

bhoybobby
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Harmse is a fecking dimlit bulb, remind me why we got rid of Marshall again

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM

fair enough, thanks for the info

jloome
03-16-2009, 07:19 PM
gomez is still with the club?
where did you hear that?

Why would you think otherwise? he wasn't a trialist, he's already signed. There's a story on the TFC news page from Friday saying he's just got into Toronto and starts training with the team this week.

jloome
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
That does not sound like we resolved our CB problem, does it? But your assessment is not far from mine, and seemingly many if not most others.

It ain't rocket science. If he starts Serioux and Harmse, it's for reasons other than we know.

AL-MO
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Serioux/Velez

I witnessed in person on Saturday what Harmse can do in 22 minutes.

ExiledRed
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Harmse is a fecking dimlit bulb, remind me why we got rid of Marshall again

I don't know, other than the sports journalist 'know it alls' that had him down as responsible for last seasons failures, despite the fact that we couldnt score. Maybe it's because Tyrone couldnt hold every game to 0-0.

From what I've seen so far, he was better than Serioux, (except for the awesome throw ins)

reggie
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Why would you think otherwise? he wasn't a trialist, he's already signed. There's a story on the TFC news page from Friday saying he's just got into Toronto and starts training with the team this week.
my bad....
i was thinking about that guy that was on trial in fla from portugal...

jloome
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
my bad....
i was thinking about that guy that was on trial in fla from portugal...

He's very young, but notes in that last story that he's been with his Gambian team for five years. Still probably too young to start, but if he looks ready-ish, that already makes him a potentially better option than our two converted defensive midfielders.

bhoybobby
03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't know, other than the sports journalist 'know it alls' that had him down as responsible for last seasons failures, despite the fact that we couldnt score. Maybe it's because Tyrone couldnt hold every game to 0-0.

From what I've seen so far, he was better than Serioux, (except for the awesome throw ins)

We've made some nice reno's to the team, but the foundation is rotten. We will be exposed in the middle no doubt about it. Let's hope there's an addition.

I've said from day 1, a DP sweeper while not the sexy thing to do, would be the right thing to do. You can have the best midfield & forward line, if that position at the back is weak your gonna pay sorely.

T_Mizz
03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Is Gomez even a CB? All the site official TFC site says is "defender". Anyone know what Nana’s status is? I know was injured in the U20 WC qualifying campaign, but I haven’t herd anything lately.
If I'm not mistaken I remember in the article on the TFC site he was talking about how much he loves playing CB and how he has played other positions occasionaly but he LOVES CB, which is good enough for me

Super Cereal
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I had no problem with that yellow.

Same.

Maybe it's just my hardcore hockey fan mentality, but I like having a guy that won't take shit, and will stick up for his teammates.

djking2
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I noticed in today's media scrum when Carver was asked about Serioux's injury status he said that if Serioux can't play then Velez would come in. Implying to me that Harmse has the start.

Stryker
03-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I noticed in today's media scrum when Carver was asked about Serioux's injury status he said that if Serioux can't play then Velez would come in. Implying to me that Harmse has the start.
Thats what I heard as well.