PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Saputo Buy an existing Franchise?

gmacpheetfc
03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Not sure about current figures but Saputo would be better off to buy a struggling franchise and just abolish it and bring in l'impact in MTL maybe chivas USA????

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/09/mls-soccer-beckham-biz-sports-cz_kb_0909mlsvalues_slide_14.html?thisSpeed=15000

rocker
03-14-2009, 12:39 PM
MLS probably wouldn't allow it. i seriously doubt they'd let him get in the backdoor by buying Columbus or something.

the owners of teams are really franchisees; the real ownership is with MLS and they have the power.
I also think they weren't happy with his stadium expansion plans.

and I'm sure he'd have to pay at least $30million to get one, which is more than he was willing to pay for an expansion team I believe.
Ownership of half of Houston went for $20 million recently.

RedRum
03-14-2009, 12:39 PM
That would make sense and probably is what will eventually happen. I don't think more than 2 or 3 teams are even valued at 40 million+

S_D
03-14-2009, 12:40 PM
That was my arguement against the 40 mill franchise fee. Enough clubs are worth less. If I was Saputo I would be tempted. Not sure if the MLS would go for it though based on that whole U.S. broadcast footprint thing.

Reminds me of the NHL. Keep bumping up the franchise fees to make all of the other existing clubs worth more, even if they aren't.

S_D
03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
MLS probably wouldn't allow it.
the owners of teams are really franchisees; the real ownership is with MLS and they have the power.
I also think they weren't happy with his stadium expansion plans.

and I'm sure he'd have to pay at least $30million to get one, which is more than he was willing to pay for an expansion team I believe.

Agreed. The one thing that may be tempting for Mtl. is having an existing MLS roster. Saves a lot of cash when you don't have to go out and scrounge for players of MLS quality, and gives you at least an opportunity to have a decent first season.

I just wonder how long MLS will put up with sub par attendances before they get tempted to force a move/sale of a team.

rocker
03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I just wonder how long MLS will put up with sub par attendances before they get tempted to force a move/sale of a team.

well, who's the worst right? KC?
KC is getting a new stadium... so they have a free pass for at least the next 5 years or more.
San Jose? Well they play in a small stadium so I can't fault the fans. I bet they'd do better in a bigger stadium. I haven't heard yet if the talks to build the San Jose stadium by the airport have moved along.
If they get the stadium underway, they have a free pass for a long time.
Chivas would move to San Diego or somethin before they'd sell to Saputo.
Columbus could be gone, I guess, but I have a feeling the attendance will go up thanks to the hype from winning the championship.

Roogsy
03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Guys...seriously...that's like asking "why doesn't Paul Allen buy another team". Rich owners do have their playthings, but they also didn't become rich by being stupid.

The Saputo family has one team. They invested in the Impact for various reasons. Tax shelter, investment in Quebec sports, love for soccer, whatever it is they are in.

They are NOT sports owners like Hicks and Gilette. That is not where their priorities are. They have a business (dairy products) and that is what they concentrate on. That is what makes them money. That is what they know. The Impact are a side project.

So to simply say "hey...why don't they buy a struggling franchise" is just making silly assumptions that rich owners have an endless supply of money and throw it away like they are wiping their asses with $100 bills.

First of all...why would anyone buy a franchise that is losing money? What's the point of paying for something that will be further drain of money? What sense does that make?

And second, why ask that of the Saputos? Why not ask that of the other billionaires in this country, especially the ones that already own a sports franchise?

This thread doesn't make much sense. Wondering about why a rich family does or does not buy an investment is a question left to them and their financial counsellors. We make it sounds like buying a franchise is the smartest investment in the world.

TorCanSoc
03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
I keep posting the same thing. USL-1 has proven they are not that far off from MLS. Why not fight to keep their marquee franchises, and maybe... just maybe... MLS and USL1 merge a la AFC-NFC to form the NFL.

Bring in USL1 with a promotion/relegation system. Of course with some kind of grandfathering clause with existing clubs not able to be relegated for 10 years or something.

Redcoe15
03-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Even if he wanted to, Garber and MLS may attempt to deny him approval of franchise ownership if they believe he's not good for their business, whether that's true or not. See Jim Balsillie's attempts at buying an NHL team as an example.

ensco
03-14-2009, 01:35 PM
This following belongs in the thread the other today that was headed "please confirm that you acknowledge or understand the following":

Joey Saputo is the son of the billionaire, Lino Saputo.

It's not Lino who is involved with the Impact, and you can't assume that Lino would be supportive of spending more money on soccer.J

Yalomed
03-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Take it from someone who knows both personally, both are willing to spend on the Impact. Joey was simply trying to play hardball with MLS and now it's bitten him in the arse.

profit89
03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Not sure about current figures but Saputo would be better off to buy a struggling franchise and just abolish it and bring in l'impact in MTL maybe chivas USA????

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/09/mls-soccer-beckham-biz-sports-cz_kb_0909mlsvalues_slide_14.html?thisSpeed=15000

The BoG wouldn't allow it

rocker
03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Joey was simply trying to play hardball with MLS and now it's bitten him in the arse.

he always sounded kinda lukewarm in interviews. Like "hey, if they'll take me at this price, why not? But otherwise, I don't really care." Joining MLS would really screw with his "big fish, little pond" philosophy. No more spending more than most other USL teams.. added restrictions on rosters, sharing some of his Quebecois revenue with the rest of the league, etc.

ginkster88
03-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Thank you mods for fixing the title.

billyfly
03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I am kinda sick of the MTL thing. According to their fans they don't care if they are USL-1. I'd love to hate them even more if they were in the MLS but they're not -so be it.

Redcoe15
03-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I am kinda sick of the MTL thing. According to their fans they don't care if they are USL-1. I'd love to hate them even more if they were in the MLS but they're not -so be it.
There's always the CCL to kick their asses around! ;)

Cashcleaner
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Why go to the expense of buying a club from another owner when you've got an existing club right now?

All Saputo needs to do is pay the expansion fee and use the roster and staff he has now. No need to complicate things by buying a franchise from someone else.

Yalomed
03-15-2009, 09:03 AM
he always sounded kinda lukewarm in interviews. Like "hey, if they'll take me at this price, why not? But otherwise, I don't really care." Joining MLS would really screw with his "big fish, little pond" philosophy. No more spending more than most other USL teams.. added restrictions on rosters, sharing some of his Quebecois revenue with the rest of the league, etc.

Right, that's Joey being Joey. He thinks he's selling mozzarella to some mom & pop pizzeria in Laval. I agree that joining MLS would throw his philosophy out the window, however, he is inherintly similar to those southern European team owners who own clubs (football & basketball alike) for pride and being in a 2nd division league, I can't see where any semblance of pride would resonate from.

It's unfortunate he misread the MLS and low-balled them because it would've been nice to have Montreal in the league.