PDA

View Full Version : Marlies/TFC Tickets

mclaren
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Just reading this...very interesting and sounds somewhat familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_%28commerce%29

"The basic idea is that consumers are harmed by being forced to buy an undesired good (the tied good) in order to purchase a good they actually want (the tying good), and so would prefer that the goods be sold separately. The company doing this bundling may have a significantly large market share so that it may impose the tie on consumers, despite the forces of market competition. The tie may also harm other companies in the market for the tied good, or who sell only single components." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_%28commerce%29)

Pachuco
05-27-2008, 05:19 PM
now let's find out if Canada has a law against Tying and take on MLSE :)

giambac
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Just reading this...very interesting and sounds somewhat familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_%28commerce%29

"The basic idea is that consumers are harmed by being forced to buy an undesired good (the tied good) in order to purchase a good they actually want (the tying good), and so would prefer that the goods be sold separately. The company doing this bundling may have a significantly large market share so that it may impose the tie on consumers, despite the forces of market competition. The tie may also harm other companies in the market for the tied good, or who sell only single components." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_%28commerce%29)

They are scum and a class action suit should be filed against them.

RealG-TFC
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Why, it's a way of making money? You don't have to buy it. Do you not know what CAPITALism is?

mclaren
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
"It is often illegal when the products are not naturally related, e.g., requiring a bookstore to stock up on an unpopular title before allowing them to purchase a bestseller."

RealG-TFC
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
^^ Yeah but they are not restricting anyone from buying a TFC ticket by first buying Marlies tickets. .

BeachRed
05-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Why, it's a way of making money? You don't have to buy it. Do you not know what CAPITALism is?

Believe it or not, even capitalism needs rules.

It's like the negative-billing rogers got caught up in.

It does work, though, I was talking to someone yesterday who bought the package on a bit of a whim and now she only wants more TFC tickets.

TFC and now maybe an English team, the Marlies don't draw squat, it's like MLSE has seen the future, and there's not much ice in it....

Lenny Dikestra
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM

I ain't saying she's a Gold digger:cool:

Primavera
05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
^^ Yeah but they are not restricting anyone from buying a TFC ticket by first buying Marlies tickets. .

That isn't 100% accurate.

When I got my half-season ticket the best I could get was a single seat. Had I agreed to purchase 10 games (or whatever the # was) of Marlies tickets along with a half-season TFC package then I would have been able to get two seats side-by-side.

In my mind that is certainly restricting me from purchasing TFC tickets.

katatonic
05-27-2008, 11:19 PM
MLSE is after money since day one...they will never win a cup if they keep this up!

nfitz
05-28-2008, 12:13 AM
So what did people end up doing with their Marlies tickets? I pondered the offer, and turned it down.

egoodwin
05-28-2008, 01:05 AM
I used them, went to as many games as I could, was well worth it...

Cambridge_Red
05-28-2008, 03:58 AM
The Marlies games surprised me. I really enjoyed them, plus my seats were phenominal.

Cantstoptherock
05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
It's pretty enjoyable hockey and I really like Ricoh, to be honest.

MrHawk
05-28-2008, 09:53 AM
How much are Marlies tickets?

I figure they would be good gifts for stags or stag/does

Oldtimer
05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
"Tied selling" is only illegal if you're a monopoly.
It would be very hard to argue that the Marlies have a monopoly of lower-level hockey.

BeachRed
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
"Tied selling" is only illegal if you're a monopoly.
It would be very hard to argue that the Marlies have a monopoly of lower-level hockey.

Is there a difference between a monopoly and a protected territory? The Marlies and the Leafs are certainly the only professional hockey inthis market, everything else is amateur, isn't it?

What I think is funny for a supposedly hockey market like Toronto, is that to sell Marlie tickets they tied them to the far more sought-after TFC tickets.

There's a sea change coming to North American sports and MLSE sees it...

MrHawk
05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
The only thing close to the Marlies in their area is the Hamilton Bulldogs

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2008, 10:16 AM
So what did people end up doing with their Marlies tickets? I pondered the offer, and turned it down.

Gave em away for free. Just used the tickets to watch Calgary's (my NHL team) AHL affiliate......spent most of the game drinking and watching the "Marlies Dance Pack". They were actually really good seats!...3 rows or so from the ice.
Hey, imo that is what it was going to take to get TFC tickets.....I should've signed up earlier if I wanted a better deal, or a crack at full seasons.....hopefully next year.

SarahV
05-28-2008, 10:55 AM

jimiv and I went to one game. Used a few as freebies/gifts, and let the rest rot in the garbage can. :noidea:

nfitz
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Interesting. I used to catch the occasional Kitchener Rangers game when I lived in KW. I confess I'm not a massive hockey fan, though it was enjoyable enough ... though it was certainly nice to see them playing hockey, rather than waiting around during the commercial breaks. Perhaps I'll consider it next season - might not be much more expensive, given the $$$ charges I get any time I buy a single game from TicketMa$ter.