PDA

View Full Version : Parking At BMO

Erkan16
03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
now that everyone is picking up their tickets, the next step is getting to the field. for me, i will be going to my first match Apr 4 and was wondering if its a better idea to drive in or take the GO Train.

for those who drive, how has your experience been so far?

Thanks.

:stogey:

Chevy
03-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Unless you go early (45-60mins before game), take the GO.

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
take the train is cheaper and the good thing is u do not to pay for parking & u do not have to wait a hour to get of the parking lot

ginkster88
03-13-2009, 07:08 PM
GO all the way, baby. It's the best there is*, you get there half an hour before kickoff and walk right in.

*Outside of tailgateing, which I have yet to experience.

Blazer
now that everyone is picking up their tickets, the next step is getting to the field. for me, i will be going to my first match Apr 4 and was wondering if its a better idea to drive in or take the GO Train.

Thanks.

Anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on the direction you are headed after the game.

Take the GO…you can drink more that way.

rocker
where are you coming from?
I get on at Clarkson.. I don't take the last train before gametime. I take the second last one, get there just before the gates are opening. Very comfortable, no rush.
If you take the last train before gametime, ensure you get your Go ticket early, as the from my experience with the Clarkson stop, there's a crazy lineup close to boarding time.

Blazer
03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
GO all the way, baby. It's the best there is*, you get there half an hour before kickoff and walk right in.

*Outside of tailgateing, which I have yet to experience.

Which is easily half the fun...

rocker
03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
i still find it cool that I can get on the Go directly across from my building (1 minute walk) then be at BMO in 20 minutes... so comfortable, so sweet.

also nice to see all the red on the Go on the way there. gets you in the spirit the second you step on.

Eastend
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
GO all the way for sure....if you're coming from the Durham region, 3rd car from the front, upstairs....there are usually anywhere from 5-15 of us......and we start early.

oops, just saw you're from Misssiissssauugggaagaga......still, GO is better.

MrHawk
03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Go Train is easier and I think cheaper.

$15 for me from Hamilton gets me there and back.

Erkan16
03-13-2009, 07:16 PM
i am coming from mississauga. last summer when I went to the EX the GO took me there in roughly 20 minutes... but the bad thing was that I had to wait an hour for a return train so that is what I was trying to avoid. also one day i saw people boarding a GO train after a TFC game and the place was PACKED... so thats why i was a little hesitant is all.

nascarguy
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
it's best to get to bmo 3hours to kick off so u can drink and eat before the game

djking2
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Parking was 10 bucks last year and if you head to a pub for an hour or so after the game traffic isn't usually all that bad

Eastend
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
i am coming from mississauga. last summer when I went to the EX the GO took me there in roughly 20 minutes... but the bad thing was that I had to wait an hour for a return train so that is what I was trying to avoid. also one day i saw people boarding a GO train after a TFC game and the place was PACKED... so thats why i was a little hesitant is all.

To help with this wait, the patio at BMO is open for 1 hour (or so??) after each game....stay, have 1 more pint, then catch the GO.

Eastend
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm thirsty....

MUFC_Niagara
03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
If you take the GO, make sure you don't take the train that arrives right at kickoff!

egoodwin
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
drive then park at Atlantic and whatever that street is called, in that corner lot there... it's only $3 and a hell lot easier to get out of

at Lamport it's also $5

you can also park at the Dominion for what I think is also $5

JDG
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
When I was living in Brampton, I tried this a few times, and it worked out great:

Drive in and park at Mimico Go Station (http://www.gotransit.com/PUBLICROOT/en/station/station.aspx?station=MMGO), and take the train into BMO.

This allows you to avoid the parking issues, and the mass exodus after the game, and once you leave Mimico, it's a short drive to the Gardiner or the 427.

RedRum
03-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Take the car and park on Liberty St for $3.

The people coming in from the west are all good-for-nothing, troublemaking hooligans. They kill people for fun - and even worse have been known to tear down a hundred dollar panel off a GO train (the horror!!). It's cool though, at least we get a 15 page bitch-fest thread about it as a consolation.

Cashcleaner
03-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Either the GO or TTC is the better way. Its just cheaper and relatively hassle-free. There is a pretty good Green P Parking at Lamport, though.

TFC FORZA RPB
03-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Normally we take the train when it's only two of us going, anymore then we hop in the car to save money.

Laurignano
03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
IT depends on what you really feel. Like and also which direction you are taking, I always drive if the games are at 3:00, 4:00, 7:00 b/c the westbound train never matches up with the end of the match. If its a 3:30, 4:30, 7:30 then I take the train because as soon as the game is done I hop on my train home and do not have to wait for an extra 45 minutes for it to arrive.

FluSH
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Normally we take the train when it's only two of us going, anymore then we hop in the car to save money.

exactly.. best way IMO

egoodwin
03-14-2009, 12:15 AM
IT depends on what you really feel. Like and also which direction you are taking, I always drive if the games are at 3:00, 4:00, 7:00 b/c the westbound train never matches up with the end of the match. If its a 3:30, 4:30, 7:30 then I take the train because as soon as the game is done I hop on my train home and do not have to wait for an extra 45 minutes for it to arrive.
where's the fun in that? do you not care for post-game festivities?

Brooker
03-14-2009, 02:22 AM

Thanks.

MISSISSAUGA?! you would be insane to drive there.

TAKE THE GO!

when the final whistle blows, check your watch... trains go back to 'sauga on the 49min mark from the EX, so if u got time to kill dont leave the stadium. head to the beer garden for another drink.

David
03-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Train can be a bitch sometimes, "Part time supporters" are mainly the ones who need to catch the train at most games, if you miss it your waiting another hour for the next one to come by. I've been stuck on that train platform more then once. When you don't have smokes...you feel like lyin down on the track :lol:

rocker
03-14-2009, 08:43 AM
just avoid all the problems by coming early and leaving late.
i don't even leave my seat until the ushers start walking around pushing you out... then I stroll to the north patio, have a drink, hang out... let the people run to catch the train right after the game.. get on the second one an hour later, which is less packed.
I mean, what else do you have to do on a saturday afternoon?? ;)

JDG
03-14-2009, 08:55 AM
i don't even leave my seat until the ushers start walking around pushing you out... then I stroll to the north patio, have a drink, hang out... let the people run to catch the train right after the game.. get on the second one an hour later, which is less packed.

I agree that there is no gain in rushing out.
I usually make my way out slowly, and wander over to gate 4. After I've seen a few of the players come out, I walk over to Shoeless Joes.
Like the train platform, Joe's fills up early, and it's really tough to find a spot to stand/sit sometimes. That 40-60 minute delay that I build into my departure, gives just enough time for some of those early arrivals at the bar to finish their and move on.

ricciboy
03-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Train

Pookie
03-14-2009, 10:59 AM
We drive. Arrive early and either leave late or go with the crowds.

Parking is essentially the same as TTC fare for us (usually all family with at least 2 adults). $12 at the Ex and only $5 in April/May.

We just like having the car there for a number of reasons.

If the weather is iffy, you can take extra gear and make a game time decision as to what to bring.

We've brought our kids down and had to leave one game early as my son developed an illness. Having the car gives us that flexibility.

I still keep looking for the "perfect" lot to park in. We've parked at Ontario Place and outside the Direct Energy Centre. Both aren't great for exiting post match.

That said, I find that the sooner that I can get in my car (ie closer to the stadium I park) the easier my exit is.

Brooker
03-14-2009, 07:02 PM

it's genius, isn't it?

rocker
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
it's genius, isn't it?

it is... on a saturday what's better than coming early to the park and hanging around the park after until they kick you out?
there's no better place to be than BMO Field!
If I try to catch that first train after the game, I'm too rushed ... and then I'll get home and sit on my ass in my room doing nothing for the rest of the day. Might as well stay down as long as possible!

ExiledRed
03-14-2009, 07:20 PM
We drive. Arrive early and either leave late or go with the crowds.

Parking is essentially the same as TTC fare for us (usually all family with at least 2 adults). $12 at the Ex and only $5 in April/May.

We just like having the car there for a number of reasons.

If the weather is iffy, you can take extra gear and make a game time decision as to what to bring.

We've brought our kids down and had to leave one game early as my son developed an illness. Having the car gives us that flexibility.

I still keep looking for the "perfect" lot to park in. We've parked at Ontario Place and outside the Direct Energy Centre. Both aren't great for exiting post match.

That said, I find that the sooner that I can get in my car (ie closer to the stadium I park) the easier my exit is.

Lamport stadium has cheap parking and there's little congestion. It's also right next to Shoeless and a short walk from the stadium.

RedRum
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Lamport stadium has cheap parking and there's little congestion. It's also right next to Shoeless and a short walk from the stadium.

Liberty St. Lot is a little closer to BMO and it's only $3.00 but that's splitting hairs. Just whatever you do, don't park at BMO. It's taken me an hour just to get out of the parking lot.

The key is exiting the stadium and getting onto the Gardiner quickly. If you attempt to go south on Dufferin you are fucked and it will take half an hour at least.

The key is taking the sidestreets west over to Dunn or Jameson then getting on from there. 5 minutes and you free and clear.

egoodwin
03-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Liberty St. Lot is a little closer to BMO and it's only $3.00 but that's splitting hairs. Just whatever you do, don't park at BMO. It's taken me an hour just to get out of the parking lot.

The key is exiting the stadium and getting onto the Gardiner quickly. If you attempt to go south on Dufferin you are fucked and it will take half an hour at least.

The key is taking the sidestreets west over to Dunn or Jameson then getting on from there. 5 minutes and you free and clear.
I remember, year one the game against RBNY the same day the Ducks won the Cup... you know leaving the BMO parking lot after the game, it was starting second period or so, so I figure I'll get to watch a good portion of the third... turned out it took till half way through the 3rd period to finally get on the Gardiner Westbound...

best to do though is to head to any pub after and let traffic die down a bit first

also, another advantage to car is when you take 8 or so flags down each game, those really are a bitch to carry on the GO Train...

Bloor West FC
03-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Take the Go Train!! :) Only because cool people drive them now!! :)

BuSaPuNk
03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
where are you coming from?
I get on at Clarkson.. I don't take the last train before gametime. I take the second last one, get there just before the gates are opening. Very comfortable, no rush.
If you take the last train before gametime, ensure you get your Go ticket early, as the from my experience with the Clarkson stop, there's a crazy lineup close to boarding time.

I get on a Clarkson as well....yeah you have to get your ticket atleast 20 mins before the train comes to avoid the lineup. Easily the best way to get down there.....and cheaper too. All the money saved on gas and parking at BMO can be used for some Carlsbergs at BMO.