PDA

View Full Version : Portland bid blocked by legal action from Multnomah County!

Vancouver MLS
03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
My goodness, now Multnomah County is trying to block the Portland MLS bid with legal action!

Only the County can release the bonds and they intervened against the bid at the hearing.

No bonds, no money, no stadium, no team.

And Paul Allen who owns the Trailblazers doesn't want his Rose Garden parkade torn down to make way for the new Beavers stadium.

Don Garber must have a splitting headache today.

Vancouver has none of these issues, just bright sunshine, clear blue skies, snow on the mountains and the world's most beautiful women.

What a mess in Portland:

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2009/mar12

FluSH
03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
this fucking sucks

Super Cereal
03-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Awesome! Come on Multnomah!

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Man this sucks. I think Portland has a lot of potential as an MLS town. If this deal goes through, are we just left with Ottawa and Vancouver as the last serious contenders?

Super Cereal
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Man this sucks. I think Portland has a lot of potential as an MLS town. If this deal goes through, are we just left with Ottawa and Vancouver as the last serious contenders?

Essentially, assuming all goes well between Melnyk and city council. Watch Garber change the rules and only give Vancouver an expansion spot.

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 08:52 PM
^ What makes you say that?

Super Cereal
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM
^ What makes you say that?

I just think it's a joke the way he's handling it. Telling Melnyk BS, saying publicly he wants Potland to get a team. It just really seems like he's been playing Melnyk the whole time.

wzhxvy
03-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Just like the NHL expansion...the only reason Ottawa and Tampa got the expansion teams at the time, was because they were the only two willing to put up the money. My gut tells me, whoever is willing to put up the money, no questions asked, will get a franchise.

James Oliphant
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Just like the NHL expansion...the only reason Ottawa and Tampa got the expansion teams at the time, was because they were the only two willing to put up the money.

Uhhh...Hamilton.

Vancouver MLS
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
then if Ottawa Council votes April 22, why doesn't MLS just delay the announcement for another month?

keep Ottawa in the game

egoodwin
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Do those who criticize the Ottawa bid and their potential support live in Ottawa, or ever lived in Ottawa? or are they just pulling their thoughts out of their ass on the viability of an Ottawa team, based on what they think they know about Ottawa?

Vancouver MLS
03-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I say if Garber gives extra time to Paulson to help Portland, he should give extra time to Melnyk also.

What's wrong with being fair? Melnyk has done nothing wrong. He hasn't withdrawn. He hasn't gone public saying he would undercut the fee.

Give Ottawa the opportunity to knock off Portland.

Read the article; it's factual. The Portland situation is problematic; the City can withdraw at any time.

Super Cereal
03-12-2009, 10:24 PM
then if Ottawa Council votes April 22, why doesn't MLS just delay the announcement for another month?

keep Ottawa in the game

I hope that happens!

Dirk Diggler
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Essentially, assuming all goes well between Melnyk and city council. Watch Garber change the rules and only give Vancouver an expansion spot.

I'm almost certain that this is what is going to end up happening. I don't think Ottawa was ever a serious consideration for MLS. They were just in the running all along to be used as leverage.

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I just think it's a joke the way he's handling it. Telling Melnyk BS, saying publicly he wants Potland to get a team. It just really seems like he's been playing Melnyk the whole time.

I don't think thats true. Garber has been quoted ad nuseum about how well the Ottawa bid was presented. The bidder who can come up with the cash and superior business plan wins the bid. It doesn't matter if its Ottawa, Portland, or

Do those who criticize the Ottawa bid and their potential support live in Ottawa, or ever lived in Ottawa? or are they just pulling their thoughts out of their ass on the viability of an Ottawa team, based on what they think they know about Ottawa?

And with that said said, I'm assuming you don't have an opinion on any other cities involved because you haven't lived there either?

I somehow doubt that.

Waggy
03-12-2009, 10:51 PM

As opposed to the large section of RPB's who've lived in Portland, St Louis, Vancouver, Miami, Montreal etc etc? The fact that we HAVEN'T lived there means we are able to view the strengths and weaknesses of the market as relative to every other one, with fewer biases. Ottawa doesn't have a stadium, a history of soccer, a history of supporting sports that aren't hockey. Vancouver has a city, a history of supporting soccer, and outside the Grizzlies a history of supporting teams. Being from Toronto doesn't make me say this: having 2 eyes and some common sense does. I'd much rather see MLS strengthen the league by not saying "Well, we had 2 spots open, better fill it". Thats how the NHL happened. Probably better to not copy that one.

Lucky Strike
03-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Why, yes actually. And I still stand by my opinion that Ottawa wouldn't work. Terrible news for Portland fans though, that must be gut-wrenching for those guys.

Vancouver MLS
03-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Portland doesn't have a deal. What their City Council approved was a "Business Plan" NOT a Deal for Financing.

Now is Ottawa's opportunity to pass something that's viable.

Melnyk flew Garber all over Ottawa in helicopters. That is impressive.

Garber said he was "blown away" with Ottawa's presentation

Toronto Ruffrider
03-13-2009, 12:53 AM
These developments are interesting... but not really.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18914
http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1236906080

Flipityflu
03-13-2009, 12:59 AM
do you honestly believe they will award this to two Canadian cities? its not going to happen. if they don't have a viable American option, they will only announce one expansion team i think.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 01:30 AM
do you honestly believe they will award this to two Canadian cities? its not going to happen. if they don't have a viable American option, they will only announce one expansion team i think.

yep i agree with you, two canadian cities (including ottawa) would piss too many people off

Cashcleaner
03-13-2009, 02:57 AM

Yeah, because people hate getting $40 million dollars. I agree, if anyone offered me that sort of cash, I'd give it back and say its not worth the hassle of carrying around. :rolleyes:

drewski
03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
As long as St. Louis's bid is around the bare minimum, and it looks like it has better chance now with AB, I think MLS would put a team here rather then in two Canadian cities

Super Cereal
03-13-2009, 07:22 AM
yep i agree with you, two canadian cities (including ottawa) would piss too many people off

Who would it piss off?

Lucky Strike
03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Who would it piss off?

Xenophobic cunts like that Columbus Arch guy or whatever. There are lots of Americans who feel we're intruding on their league. Even just having TFC in the league makes their teeth grind for some of them. You'd be pretty surprised actually.

Super Cereal
03-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Xenophobic cunts like that Columbus Arch guy or whatever. There are lots of Americans who feel we're intruding on their league. Even just having TFC in the league makes their teeth grind for some of them. You'd be pretty surprised actually.

I think I'd be more surprised about Garber turning down an expansion team with 40 mil simply because of some xenophobic cunts. ;)

maninb
03-13-2009, 07:52 AM
"Vancouver has none of these issues, just bright sunshine, clear blue skies, snow on the mountains and the world's most beautiful women"?????

Surely you jest....You've obviously never been to Scandanavia or the Czech Republic...

Lucky Strike
03-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I think I'd be more surprised about Garber turning down an expansion team with 40 mil simply because of some xenophobic cunts. ;)

Lol, for sure. But there might be some political or organizational pressure on Garber not to pick two Canadian bids (putting the general fans aside for a moment). I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but it's not unreasonable to think it might be present, even if nobody says specifically: "Don't pick two Canadian cities".

JonO
03-13-2009, 08:27 AM
What rules state that there have to be 2 expansion teams. I'd rather they take 0 expansion teams than give one to a city they don't feel is worthy...

JonO
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I think the USSF have greater pull... and as I understand it (and I may be wrong), but they view the MLS as their domestic league and way to improve talent for the US National team.

Vancouver MLS
03-13-2009, 12:00 PM
more turmoil:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/03/blazers_are_offside_on_mls_bid.html

Roogsy
03-13-2009, 12:07 PM

You are viewing it from a Canadian soccer fan point of view.

Garber will have pressure from many sides, xenophobic cunts being one of them.

Marketing being another. (Canada is not a US marketers dream.)

US Soccer.

The networks.

FIFA.

Team owners.

The players union.

How these view Canadian bids is anyone's guess, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think all of them will be onside with more Canadian teams.

Mark in Ottawa
03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I have lived in Ottawa my whole life and few people are criticizing the bid per se. The location in Kanata definitely... that issue has always been divisive and seems will always be.

People know Melnyk is a smart businessman and if anyone can make this thing work in Ottawa it is Eugene Melnyk and Senators Sports and Entertainment.

The question is will he ever get the chance?
The city government is locked up in "analysis paralysis" (which is their usual state) with multiple bids and lobby groups regarding any new stadium complex.

Vancouver MLS
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
funny how the hockey fans can make it out to Scotiabank Center but they figure the soccer fans won't be able to make it out there

Yohan
03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
funny how the hockey fans can make it out to Scotiabank Center but they figure the soccer fans won't be able to make it out there
because hockey is always more popular than footy, and people would make more effort to go see a hockey game

and people are lazy

drewski
03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
because hockey is always more popular than footy, and people would make more effort to go see a hockey game

and people are lazy

and it took years for them to get there. the attendance the first few years was HORRIBLE.

also, there's been a ton of new developments in the area so there are a lot more people living there now then there was 10 years ago

TFCREDNWHITE
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Fack get Montreal back onboard!! I would love a Derby!

NF-FC
03-13-2009, 01:36 PM

and people are lazy

It's like the situation the Revs are in. 67,000 people can find their way to Foxborough for the Pats, but the Revs, not so much.

TFC_4_Life
03-13-2009, 02:14 PM

and people are lazy

If the team moves to Kanata, next to the Sens stadium the team will fail. Anyone who's been to a Sens game knows the atmosphere around the stadium is terrible, your in a massive open space with just a parking lot and fields.

The atmosphere around stadiums in soccer is a lot more important than in hockey. hockey is in winter and people don't hang around the stadium/tail gate/ walk from pubs. But in soccer in NA they do and it is vital to attract the young, energetic fans like what TFC has.

There is major space at Lebreton flats, right along major bus routes, beside the river, and where they plan to put the subway. It is also close to pubs and restaurants. They should seriously consider this.

Super Cereal
03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Lol, for sure. But there might be some political or organizational pressure on Garber not to pick two Canadian bids (putting the general fans aside for a moment). I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but it's not unreasonable to think it might be present, even if nobody says specifically: "Don't pick two Canadian cities".

Yeah, I hear ya. I probably sound like a conspiracy theorist fool, I just suspect what you said is true, he's undr pressure to pick at least one American city.

Ah well, nothing to do but wait for the announcement, I'll be a TFC fan either way.

Mark in Ottawa
03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Give the Senators a few years of not making the playoffs and the fans will stop going unless they price the games correctly.

It's hockey... Canadian fans love it and will go to great lengths to see it but not everyone will. I know of many who go to only a few games a year because thay can't stand the queensway slog to the corn fields.

It is getting better with the traffic infrastructure being improved upon.

RealG-TFC
03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
"Vancouver has none of these issues, just bright sunshine, clear blue skies, snow on the mountains and the world's most beautiful women"?????

Surely you jest....You've obviously never been to Scandanavia or the Czech Republic...

Brazil

Mark in Ottawa
03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
There is major space at Lebreton flats, right along major bus routes, beside the river, and where they plan to put the subway. It is also close to pubs and restaurants. They should seriously consider this.
They had their chance... and blew it.

There are just too many levels of bureaucracy involved with Lebreton.

The National Capital Commission (NCC) has final say and they will not allow the stadium / arena / convention centre / hotel / commercial centre that should have been built there many years ago.

As the NCC is unelected they are hard to pressure to make a decision that the residents want.

Vancouver MLS
03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm hearing murmors that something is coming down the pipe Wednesday

Super Cereal
03-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm hearing murmors that something is coming down the pipe Wednesday

In Ottawa or Phoenix?

MrHawk
03-13-2009, 08:40 PM
http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=271087&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main

Looks Vancouver is officially in for 2011

rocker
03-13-2009, 08:53 PM
garber has no reason not to introduce Vanny now... the cash is there, the owners are solid as can be, the stadium renovation plans are in place, the SSS plan is still in play.
there's no need to wait.