PDA

View Full Version : Montero may have high tailed it home

Stryker
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
The Seattle Sounders are a week away from their first game as a Major League Soccer expansion team and the sell-out crowd at Qwest Field for the season opener vs. New York is expected to enjoy an unforgettable night.
Unfortunately, Colombian striker Fredy Montero may not be there.
The Seattle Sounders' leading forward has left the club to return to South America, where reports say he is dealing with contract issues (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2008841069_sounders12.html). Now, this might not normally be a cause for concern, but it becomes one when you consider that Seattle removed Montero from the team's website (http://www.soundersfc.com/Team/Roster.aspx).
Ruh-Roh.
Now, this may be nothing, or it may be the collapse of what some league observers had questioned as a deal that seemed too good to be true. Montero was one of the best young goal-scoring prospects in South America before his surprising deal to join Seattle. The deal looked even more unbelievable last week when MLS salaries were released and Montero was listed as making just $155,000.
What do you think is going on? Does Montero want more money? Did his agents misinform him about how much he was going to make? Is everything fine and Seattle is just trying to play head games?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/03/where-in-the-world-is-fredy-montero.html#comments

Whoop
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
But I thought Seattle was doing everything perfectly, and naturally better, than anyone else?

DOMIN8R
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
If true, that's fucking great news! He really worried me.

Broadview
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe he found out what Vitti was getting.

Speaking of Vitti, if that report is true, I'm betting Vitti gets more goals this MLS season than Montero.

djking2
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe he's just getting a wake up call a la Bex. The guys on this fuckin' team can't play worth shit. Either way it's good news for TFC.

nfitz
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
If reports are true, then I'd think that Cunningham would be getting more goals this season than Montero ... heck, Sutton might get more goals this season!

maninb
03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
He's reportedly due back in Seattle tomorrow...if he doesn't show then the sh*t hits the fan!

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I think he found out that in order to play for Colombia he has to miss games for his club and decided that was really dumb.

Marco2K
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh Come On!!!!

rocker
03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
But I thought Seattle was doing everything perfectly, and naturally better, than anyone else?

geez, now they won't make the playoffs!!!! ;)

the Seattle Times report suggests he's just dealing with agent issues and will be back.
I wonder if he's not getting all the $$$$$ he's supposed to, and is now gonna bust some heads.
The union just released the salary details.. maybe he saw he was getting paid 155K and thought "huh, my paycheck is for $1500 a month! what the hell!". He is on a loan, so I assume MLS is paying the team, not him. hehehe.

djking2
03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Ives just got ripped on MLS Rumors for blowing this story. That must hurt

Pachuco
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
That would be terrible news. Hopefully it's not true. Was really looking forward to seeing him play.

Shaughno
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Just like when Guevara and Ruiz 'flew the coop'? I highly doubt it anyway.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I think Montero is Quality, but shit i hope we don't have to play against him...Hopefully he turned down his contract with Seattle! LOL

rocker
03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Ives just got ripped on MLS Rumors for blowing this story. That must hurt

I'm not sure what MLS Rumours' point is. They just quote the very same article Ives clearly links in the blog. They make it sound like Ives didn't see this, even though he does mention it in the article.

Ives doesn't say Montero is not coming back.. I quote:

Now, this may be nothing ... (The Seattle Times is reporting that Montero is expected back on Friday)
Is everything fine and Seattle is just trying to play head games?

Ives doesn't say one way or the other. He's just throwing out some different things.

Pachuco
03-13-2009, 08:06 AM
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sounders/2009/03/12/hanauer_addresses_monteros_dep.html

It's nothing, he'll be back today and there are no contract issues.

djking2
03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure what MLS Rumours' point is.

Don't get me wrong Rocker. I read Ives regularly and rate him one of the best. MLS Rumors on the other hand well....

The two have had a pissing match going for a while and Ives did mess this one up so the other side jumped on it. Like I said, it must have hurt.