PDA

View Full Version : No enough MLS coverage

trane
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I have to say that now that the MLS section is closed there is not enough MLS coverage, I mean there is alot of speculations, but real news, good analyses, thoughfull opinions, not so much. When it come to international football, I can get all kinds of information to satisfy the footy minds, but when I comes to the MLS I get more about stadiums and that kind of shit, rather then stuff I want to know, on the filed shit. Who is in form, what tactics/formations teams are going to use, player development, managers thoughts, ect. ect. ect. Or am I missing something?

Stouffville_RPB
03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
We're all missing out. MLS isn't where we'd all like it to be so naturally there isn't the writing behind it. Being in Toronto though I think we actually get more coverage than alot of other cities.

trane
03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
We do, that is for sure, but I would like more analyses aobut the game on the pitch not so much about stadiums and franchises joining. Not that I do not care, but I am more interested in who the CBs for RSL, what a shit name, and can our strikers underss them, and can me contorl the mid, can our CB handle there strikers kind of stuff. There is just not that much of that.

Stouffville_RPB
03-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree. There isn't alot of coverage of MLS on TV. How are writers supposed to know about every team when the only way they can see them is live at the games. I guess they could stream.

Until there is a large enough demand we have to do our own scouting and discussions. One good thing about it though is that we can formulate truly unique opinions, without outside influence.

BuSaPuNk
03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
^ Now that this whole issue with tape delays and GolTV being a problem with some people MLSNET's streaming TV that is relatively cheap is going to get a lot of new subcribers. I'm looking at getting it myself....barring any new news on the schedual for the games on TV coming out.

trane
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree. There isn't alot of coverage of MLS on TV. How are writers supposed to know about every team when the only way they can see them is live at the games. I guess they could stream.

Until there is a large enough demand we have to do our own scouting and discussions. One good thing about it though is that we can formulate truly unique opinions, without outside influence.

"unique" they certainly are. I agree, the only thing we realy do not know enough about the other clubs. I would like to, but it is hard. CB sent me a link this morning I will start reading it.

rocker
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
one way to get this coverage of other teams is to subscribe to fan and official blogs about MLS.

I use Google Reader to subscribe, and then every day when I check the reader, I get lots of articles to read, all brought to me with no effort on my part.

I subscribe to blogs such as Buzz Carrick's 3rd Degree, Soccer by Ives, the Soccer Insider, 24th Minute, MLS Daily, the Score blog etc etc.... then you get all that stuff about the actual teams and their play (plus the shit about stadiums and controversy). Rather than waiting for the mainstream media to get on the bandwagon, you can find this info yourself.. and it helps build audiences for the blogs. Maybe somebody the mainstream media will clue in to this growing interest.

Stilts
03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Coverage will ramp up when the season actually starts, people go out to the games, and the spring really arrives. Hockey ending also wouldn't hurt :p.

Sadly, TFC fans are going to have to wait a few more years before the team gets a lot of coverage. It was the same way with the Toronto Raptors and they are in the NBA. The city really didn't care that much, and they get very little coverage. Then, we finally started to win, VC/TMAC joined the team and the media picked up on it.

Even though the MLS is quite small in comparison to the NBA, I think it will take a similar situation. Perhaps making the playoffs, getting some new exciting players, and the continued support of the fans and supporter groups before you see lots of pre-season coverage.

TorontoBlades
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I have to say that now that the MLS section is closed there is not enough MLS coverage, I mean there is alot of speculations, but real news, good analyses, thoughfull opinions, not so much. When it come to international football, I can get all kinds of information to satisfy the footy minds, but when I comes to the MLS I get more about stadiums and that kind of shit, rather then stuff I want to know, on the filed shit. Who is in form, what tactics/formations teams are going to use, player development, managers thoughts, ect. ect. ect. Or am I missing something?

thank you...you know the stuff real football lovers like to chat about

GuelphStorm2007
03-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Very good post Trane. I totally agree with you. There is hardly any media coverage in the Mainstream media but I think that will change down the road. Most of my Info on MLS I usually get from Mls live and Blogs etc which I see as the way as the way of the future.:noidea::drinking::hump:

loconet
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Why we don't have MLS coverage in the mainstream media (or any other league for that matter)?

I'll just leave this over here...

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=1329

GuelphStorm2007
03-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Why we don't have MLS coverage in the mainstream media (or any other league for that matter)?

I'll just leave this over here...

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=1329

I read the article Loconet. What do you expectfrom your typical right wing, close minded, American journalist. Obvisouly he knows nothing of the game. To say soccer is more of a ladies game is just down right dumb, It is a insult to both sexes who play the game. I am getting tired of so called journalists like Jim Rome, Don Cherry, Cathal Kelly, Steve Simmons, who seem to have a personal agenda to critisize soocer without really even knowing what they are talking about in the first place.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
id really love it and appreciate it if GolTV would pick up more MLS coverage (including non TFC games) in addition to what they already carry

You hear that MLSE?!?!!

GuelphStorm2007
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
id really love it and appreciate it if GolTV would pick up more MLS coverage (including non TFC games) in addition to what they already carry

You hear that MLSE?!?!!

I totally agree with you. Hell why not cbc carry the odd Mls game, other than TFC...

GuelphStorm2007
03-13-2009, 12:47 AM
If MLS coverage were to expand I think Team USA will need to have a decent World Cup next year in South Africa. Similiar to what they had in 2002. With a good chunk of there players playing in the MLS THE GOOD PUBLICITY will help.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
I totally agree with you. Hell why not cbc carry the odd Mls game, other than TFC...

sadly cuz show jumping gets more viewers, at least with GolTV its a soccer specialty channel and i know they play reruns etc, so why not play MLS games if they are live (and its a rerun)

Marc"2L"
03-13-2009, 01:34 AM
If you get any HD channels HDnet should have some games in glorious glorious HD.

Shakes McQueen
03-13-2009, 02:18 AM
There is barely a strong market for TFC in Toronto, on television, let alone analysis of the OTHER teams.

I bet if you asked all of the RPB here to name 5 players on every other MLS team, 92% wouldn't be able to do it. And we are the "fanatical" supporters of our MLS team - let alone casuals who catch the club on television from time to time.

Eventually as the league gains steam, we will start to see full MLS highlights on Sportsnet Connected, TSN SportsCentre and The Score (instead of just TFC games, as it is currently). Then as it gains even more traction, we will begin to see previews of some of the games, or pundit pieces on TFC, and how they are doing (sort of like the "Hockey Insider" bits TSN does).

Beyond that, we might start to see analysis of all MLS teams. It's going to be a while, though.

Just cherish what we've got for now, I guess. Ives Galarcep is a great resource for serious MLS analysis, and discussion across the league.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-13-2009, 02:19 AM
If you get any HD channels HDnet should have some games in glorious glorious HD.

Yeah, HDNet aired a lot of Houston and San Jose games last season. It's something like channel 540 on Rogers.

- Scott

scooter
03-13-2009, 09:23 AM
we are not going to get the analysis from broadcasters who dont know the game and just like game coverages its all about market size and the omighty buck
we need more commentators like Nigel Reed who know the game
last night on sportsnet (i think) with craig forest and gerry dobson we actually got 10 minutes of tfc coverage out of a 1/2 hour show which is progress in the right direction
please support this show its on every thursday night at 8.45 on setanta also if you have time there is a good footy show on before it with coverage,analysis and highlights

trane
03-13-2009, 09:36 AM
thank you...you know the stuff real football lovers like to chat about

That is the point, yes I have some interest in what city may have a team, stadium ect., but realy I whant to now if Chicago ( or the any other MLS team) playing a 4-3-1-2, do they have a real 10, I guess the hunchback is that for them, what is their manager footbal phylosophy, and so on, that is what I like to talk abuot , when I talk footy. That is what is trully interesting to me.

TorontoBlades
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
That is the point, yes I have some interest in what city may have a team, stadium ect., but realy I whant to now if Chicago ( or the any other MLS team) playing a 4-3-1-2, do they have a real 10, I guess the hunchback is that for them, what is their manager footbal phylosophy, and so on, that is what I like to talk abuot , when I talk footy. That is what is trully interesting to me.

here here

that's why i still have hope for this site....

...here's a call for a sub group in one of the forums called - TFC/MLS Tactics

trane
03-13-2009, 12:04 PM
^ I would love that.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-14-2009, 12:04 AM
No RESPECT for MLS

Shakes McQueen
03-14-2009, 02:52 AM
No RESPECT for MLS

It's not a matter of respect. You think the sports anchors at TSN care about curling any more than they care about soccer?

It's about what gets numbers. When soccer gets numbers conducive to expanded coverage, they will provide it. Curling gets numbers, and so they give it extensive coverage.

If you're expecting TV executives to be philanthropists in selling the league to Canadians, you're expecting too much.

Even the networks that air the games don't provide much MLS coverage, aside from SoccerCentral, a 30 minute program early in the morning on Saturday.

MLSE are going about it the right way - buying a channel dedicated to the demographic who love the sport, and providing the coverage they want, themselves. The mainstram channels will latch on, down the road.

- Scott