PDA

View Full Version : For the last time!! AKA: Clearing up MLS misconceptions

Cashcleaner
03-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Please read and acknowledge the following facts as I may have to kill the next person who posts in a thread susggesting otherwise:

Point 1: A soccer-specific stadium is not a mandatory requirement for a city to be awarded an MLS expansion franchise, nor has it been in the past. Now, it certainly doesn't hurt a city's chances and the league does prefer its team play in soccer-specific facilities, but it has never been a prerequisite for an expansion club.

Point 2: Redrawing the conference divisions isn't actually that big of a deal. The structure of the two MLS conferences is not written in stone nor is it unchangeable. With this in mind, there is absolutely no way the geographical position of a potential expansion city will be effected by issues of parity between the conferences, and if there is a disparity created, it won't take much to move a city into the East or West.

James Oliphant
03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I've one to add myself...

Point 3: The term "soccer-specific stadium" does not imply that only soccer will ever be played there. There is a world of difference between the words "specific" and "exclusive". Please discover said world of difference by consulting your friendly neighbourhood dictionary.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2009, 11:42 PM
HAHHA
awesome
good call on this thread

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
^ It was overdue. ;)

And James, you're totally right about the definition of Soccer-Specific. It does not mean Soccer-Only.

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Please read and acknowledge the following facts as I may have to kill the next person who posts in a thread susggesting otherwise:

Point 1: A soccer-specific stadium is not a mandatory requirement for a city to be awarded an MLS expansion franchise, nor has it been in the past. Now, it certainly doesn't hurt a city's chances and the league does prefer its team play in soccer-specific facilities, but it has never been a prerequisite for an expansion club.

Point 2: Redrawing the conference divisions isn't actually that big of a deal. The structure of the two MLS conferences is not written in stone nor is it unchangeable. With this in mind, there is absolutely no way the geographical position of a potential expansion city will be effected by issues of parity between the conferences, and if there is a disparity created, it won't take much to move a city into the East or West.

But it should be....

Flipityflu
03-12-2009, 06:57 AM
I've one to add myself...

Point 3: The term "soccer-specific stadium" does not imply that only soccer will ever be played there. There is a world of difference between the words "specific" and "exclusive". Please discover said world of difference by consulting your friendly neighbourhood dictionary.

definately worth pointing out, otherwise we should lose our franchise since we are hosting lacrosse at BMO.

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
But it should be....

There are good arguments for making a soccer-specific stadium a requirement for an expansion franchise, but I don't think you should arbitrarily rule out a candidate because they may be playing in a multi-use college or municipal facility. If it works regardless of being SSS or not, I say go with it.