PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Bid - Let's Band Together

Rossiroo
03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
This is what I just posted on the Onward blog, I'd be interested in the RPB/community's thoughts:

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/03/11/meanwhile-back-in-bytown

"How about everyone here from Ottawa please stand up? That’s what I thought. A couple points to enlighten you, and keep in mind that I’m a die hard TFC fan (section 112 season ticket holder, was at the inaugural Red Patch Boys meeting):
1 - Stadiums cost serious money, if smaller market teams can combine the 2 sports, then let’s make it work. Are soccer-specific stadiums better, for sure, but if the choice is both or one I’d prefer both.
2 - Having soccer (football if you prefer) in Ottawa (another Canadian team) is better than not having soccer in Ottawa… even for fellow TFC’ers/RPB’s. More Canadian MLS teams are better than less Canadian teams, period. Especially considering those of us (me especially) that really get into the Canada Championship.
3 - A stadium downtown Ottawa is a million times better than having one out in Kanata… don’t even try and argue with me, even TFC fans bitched incessantly about having a stadium downtown with all the people/energy/access/amenities/etc. To expect the Ottawa community to expect less is BS.
4 - It makes sense for us. I could give 2 shits about what people from outside “the Valley” think, we want a multi-purpose/stadium (including a new 67’s arena, go 67’s you’ve got the makings of a playoff upset team!) at Landsdowne. Toronto-ites begged for a MLS franshise and got one with artificial turf downtown, your elitism shouldn’t constrain our ability to get one with the same/similar constraints.
I hope council listens to the people (locals) and avoids the CFL vs. MLS BS, we want a Lansdowne re-developement with a MLS/CFL/OHL combo that re-invigorates the core with the excitement of all 3 sports. And by the way, we’d appreciate a little support from our TFC Canadian brethren who know what it means to fight for a franchise, help us get one that works for our community instead of fostering negativity over us not getting one if it’s not soccer specific.
Thank you,
Ross
PS> Hunt’s group always embraced soccer/MLS, they said it could be a duo-purpose stadium from the beginning…"

PPS> I'd also like to hear from the Ottawa TFC group (small as we are), will you continue to hold TFC as #1 or will Ottawa become #1 if they are awarded a franchise? I was a VFB Stuttgart fan since I started watching soccer/football, TFC since it started in Canada and had the same dilema thinking about if the two played each other...

james
03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
i dont mind Ottawa combinning CFL with MLS only if the lines can come off the pitch. If the CFL lines dont come off like many other MLS teams have then i dont want Ottawa to join MLS. We dont need any more of that shit. And if you want a good atmosphere you want the fans close to the action, not like 20 yards away...So depends how they share the stadium with CFL.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
i do as well as i dont believe ottawa could support a team, itd be columbus of the north.
sorry man, no support from me, id rather see a team in van or mont

james
03-11-2009, 11:31 PM
i really dont think they could support a team like TFC. But i bet Ottawa could sell more tickets then KC,Colorado, Columbus, Dallas or Chivas. I think they could get 13-17,000 fans a game no problem. May not be the greatest atmosphere tho is all.

nick.mastro
03-12-2009, 12:12 AM
i really dont think they could support a team like TFC. But i bet Ottawa could sell more tickets then KC,Colorado, Columbus, Dallas or Chivas. I think they could get 13-17,000 fans a game no problem. May not be the greatest atmosphere tho is all.

you know we can never really know this for sure. who would of known TFC would of been as great as it is today with our fans. anything can happen.

nick.mastro
03-12-2009, 12:15 AM
"On the other side stands Senators’ owner Eugene Melnyk, who has been assured by MLS commissioner Don Garber he will get a team if he builds his lovely proposed soccer-specific park."

is this true? they have the team 100% if they get a stadium? what happend to Vancouver and Portland. anyone believe Vancouver and Ottawa will both get it

kodiakTFC
03-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Realistically if Ottawa averages 16k a game, they are success. It is above league average, another pro Canadian team, and another great rivalry.

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 04:15 AM
16k per game is okay. I think we really have to talk about crowds in the 20-30k range to call it a success, though. If we had the seats, Toronto would likely pull in 25k for most regular season matches.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-12-2009, 04:52 AM
16k per game is okay. I think we really have to talk about crowds in the 20-30k range to call it a success, though. If we had the seats, Toronto would likely pull in 25k for most regular season matches.

BUy MLS STANDARDS that more then enough!

Less then 5000 seats have been sold to date for FC DALLAS home opener vs Chicago

BRUTAL!!!!!

MLS NEED to weed out the DEAD WOOD TEAMS....Its never gona work...in some of these cities...like

KC...FC DALLAS... ...

Portland....MOntreal..Vancouver is the way to go

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/03/less-than-5000-tickets-sold-for-home-opener/

Redcoe15
03-12-2009, 05:02 AM
i do as well as i dont believe ottawa could support a team, itd be columbus of the north.
sorry man, no support from me, id rather see a team in van or mont
Agreed!

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 05:41 AM
By MLS STANDARDS that more then enough!

Less then 5000 seats have been sold to date for FC DALLAS home opener vs Chicago

BRUTAL!!!!!

MLS NEED to weed out the DEAD WOOD TEAMS....Its never gonna work...in some of these cities...like

KC...FC DALLAS... ...

Portland....Montreal..Vancouver is the way to go

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/03/less-than-5000-tickets-sold-for-home-opener/

Oh for sure when you compare to the rest of the league its not a bad number at all, but let's remember just how ridiculous the league's standards are. 16,000 is a bit more than half of what the Argos get in for most CFL matches. No team for any other major sport in NA is gonna thrive when you've got such abysmal attendance. Realistically, when it comes to Ottawa, I have doubts they'll get over 10,000 on a regular basis.

drewski
03-12-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm all for it. it would give us a local rival in the MLS, another local rival in the VC and most of all, I might be moving there and it would give me another chance to see TFC.

as for support, it might be an issue, though I imagine some Montrealers might make the trek for a bunch of games. I know my cousins who are huge into soccer would. And with Melnyk frontin the money, I could definitely seeing him willing to take a hit for a few years before to give it a chance to build support, kinda like what happened with the Sens

Mark in Ottawa
03-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Toronto-ites begged for a MLS franshise and got one with artificial turf downtown, your elitism shouldn’t constrain our ability to get one with the same/similar constraints.

we want a Lansdowne re-developement with a MLS/CFL/OHL combo that re-invigorates the core with the excitement of all 3 sports.

PS> Hunt’s group always embraced soccer/MLS, they said it could be a duo-purpose stadium from the beginning…"

PPS> I'd also like to hear from the Ottawa TFC group (small as we are), will you continue to hold TFC as #1 or will Ottawa become #1 if they are awarded a franchise? I was a VFB Stuttgart fan since I started watching soccer/football, TFC since it started in Canada and had the same dilema thinking about if the two played each other...

What elitism? Toronto knew what it wanted and made it happen. Nothing elitist about that. They had MLSE step up and work with the city to make it so.

It doesn't really matter if we (that would be you) want a CFL/MLS/OHL combo at Landsdowne... it ain't gonna happen. The crux of both proposals before the city is that each of the groups would have control of the stadium. Concessions, parking, event scheduling... the lot. Neither group is willing to front up the $$ and then put their franchise into a stadium where they are not in control. This is essentially the crux of it as far as getting the two groups to work together. As well each of the plans has a further development component that only one group would win.
Personally I agree that Landsdowne is the best site but after the city made a mistake of monumental proportions by allowing the Palladium to be built in the corn fields I can't see them fixing that now.

Lets face it... I've lived in Ottawa all my life and have watched the city degrade to the sorry state of civic governance we have now. The only way to describe it is "analysis paralysis". They can't even stick to their own official plan for the city and intensification. I don't hold out much hope for a quick & thorough decision.

Hunt's group never embraced MLS as far as offering to pay ther expansion fee did they? They will gladly take them on as a tenent in their multi use stadium if Melnyk will pay the $40mil for the privilege.

I am a TFC fan. It would take a lot for another team to attract me as a die hard supporter.

Canadian Blue
03-12-2009, 06:49 AM
I don't support the development of a new MLS team in any city.....to tell you the truth I hope it never happens. Another team just means another enemy for TFC and their fans. The league needs to take a look at itself, especially with the current economic state, contarction may be more beneficial than expansion.

Flipityflu
03-12-2009, 06:53 AM
erm, if Ottawa is so keen to get it done, where are their supporters groups? i honestly haven't heard much from the fans about this. they should be the ones making all the noise. as soon as any bid got mentioned, they should have been leading the fight since this is a political descision in the end. the fact that they seem to be waiting for something to happen makes me believe that there isn't the support some think there is.

Mark in Ottawa
03-12-2009, 06:57 AM
erm, if Ottawa is so keen to get it done, where are their supporters groups? i honestly haven't heard much from the fans about this. they should be the ones making all the noise. as soon as any bid got mentioned, they should have been leading the fight since this is a political descision in the end. the fact that they seem to be waiting for something to happen makes me believe that there isn't the support some think there is.
^^ Exactly.

You would think that with the number of special interest and lobby groups in this city that a grass roots movement would start and make their wishes known.

Lucky Strike
03-12-2009, 07:34 AM
This is what I just posted on the Onward blog, I'd be interested in the RPB/community's thoughts:

"How about everyone here from Ottawa please stand up? That’s what I thought. A couple points to enlighten you, and keep in mind that I’m a die hard TFC fan (section 112 season ticket holder, was at the inaugural Red Patch Boys meeting):
1 - Stadiums cost serious money, if smaller market teams can combine the 2 sports, then let’s make it work. Are soccer-specific stadiums better, for sure, but if the choice is both or one I’d prefer both.
2 - Having soccer (football if you prefer) in Ottawa (another Canadian team) is better than not having soccer in Ottawa… even for fellow TFC’ers/RPB’s. More Canadian MLS teams are better than less Canadian teams, period. Especially considering those of us (me especially) that really get into the Canada Championship.
3 - A stadium downtown Ottawa is a million times better than having one out in Kanata… don’t even try and argue with me, even TFC fans bitched incessantly about having a stadium downtown with all the people/energy/access/amenities/etc. To expect the Ottawa community to expect less is BS.
4 - It makes sense for us. I could give 2 shits about what people from outside “the Valley” think, we want a multi-purpose/stadium (including a new 67’s arena, go 67’s you’ve got the makings of a playoff upset team!) at Landsdowne. Toronto-ites begged for a MLS franshise and got one with artificial turf downtown, your elitism shouldn’t constrain our ability to get one with the same/similar constraints.
I hope council listens to the people (locals) and avoids the CFL vs. MLS BS, we want a Lansdowne re-developement with a MLS/CFL/OHL combo that re-invigorates the core with the excitement of all 3 sports. And by the way, we’d appreciate a little support from our TFC Canadian brethren who know what it means to fight for a franchise, help us get one that works for our community instead of fostering negativity over us not getting one if it’s not soccer specific.
Thank you,
Ross

I've lived in Ottawa a while and no matter what Melnyk says, I don't think Ottawa can support an MLS team, particularly if it's out in Kanata. There's very little buzz about the expansion bid. And Ottawa is a fairweather fan city - I see it everyday. I'd also ideally like to see an MLS, CFL and OHL combination at Landsdowne but we all know it's not going to happen to ego/financial reasons.

Don't get me wrong, if a bid were successful, I don't want the team to be a failure, I would hope that it is as successful as TFC; I just don't think it's plausible to expect that. And the league can't afford any loss in credibility by having a team fail or have to relocate (as much as we believe Columbus ought to lose its team). Finally, even if they were a success, I would never switch allegiances. I just couldn't: I'm too much in love with TFC and that's never going to change. I've made this controversial (apparently, don't know why it should be) point many times but if you're able to stop supporting a team and choose another, you weren't really a supporter to begin with were you?

Super Cereal
03-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Not gonna lie, I might support Ottawa just as much as Toronto. I live in Ottawa, it would be great.

*stands up*

arbogast
03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
I agree with a couple of the posts above...re:

1) where are the grassroots supporters groups? No one's marching like they did in PDX

2) For me it's not just the lines that have to come off, but the end zones will kill the supporters sections behind the goals

And for my two cents, I'd rather have MTL in MLS and Ottawa in USL-1

jabbronies
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I'd rather have Montreal in the league than Ottawa.
Montreal has shown it's a soccer city. Ottawa hasn't.

I've been to both cities during the World cup. Montreal had fans in the street and footy on the Tele. Ottawa, not so much.
Mind you I was a tourist in both cities. maybe i wasn't in the right areas when I was in Ottawa.

Jack
03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
It just doesn't make sense to me.

giambac
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Thank you,
Ross

I hope ottawa doesn't get a team.

they have proven over and over agian that they aren't a sports city.

it would be bad for the MLS to grant them a team and then 1-2 years later thaey would fold.

I'll sign any letter or petition sent to Commisioner Garber as a TFC fan and STH not supporting a team in Ottawa.

i would rather hav e ateam in Montreal, or Vancouver.

djking2
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I'll sign any letter or petition sent to Commisioner Garber as a TFC fan and STH not supporting a team in Ottawa.

I wouldn't bet that Garber isn't blocking you already man

Ottawa MLS Fan
03-14-2009, 10:00 PM

it would be bad for the MLS to grant them a team and then 1-2 years later thaey would fold.

Jeez. What a jerk!!!!

Ottawa MLS Fan
03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I agree with a couple of the posts above...re:

1) where are the grassroots supporters groups? No one's marching like they did in PDX

A march of around 200 supporters would be considered an embarrassment in Ottawa and would be jumped on as a sign that more people wanted the CFL back.

How are 200 people supposed to convince anyone that Portland will fill a 20,000+ seat stadium???

rocker
03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
i'd rather see Montreal than Ottawa (if it was actually a choice between them).. but ever since Joey screwed up and went all cheap on us, I think turning to Ottawa would be fine (after Vancouver gets in...).

do people really think Ottawa is a worse place for soccer than Salt Lake City or Kansas or whatever?

i'd rather see them expand to Ottawa and risk failing than never to take that risk. Maybe people are right that Ottawa would suck, but it's worth a shot. Ottawa's failure would not hinder other canadian cities, since really only Vancouver and Montreal have a reasonable chance of gettin in... MLS ain't gonna go to Edmonton or Calgary. And if they did, there's no trend of Canadian failure since TFC is strong. It'd just be an isolated case.
If Ottawa is our last possible city for MLS soccer, let's give it a shot.

Blizzard
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't support the development of a new MLS team in any city.....to tell you the truth I hope it never happens. Another team just means another enemy for TFC and their fans. The league needs to take a look at itself, especially with the current economic state, contarction may be more beneficial than expansion.

Based on your line about "another enemy", it sounds like you'd prefer a one team league! ;) Ottawa would be an enemy (yes of course) but isn't every other team in the league another enemy?

What is a sports rivalry without enemies? :noidea:

Canadian Blue
03-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Based on your line about "another enemy", it sounds like you'd prefer a one team league! ;) Ottawa would be an enemy (yes of course) but isn't every other team in the league another enemy?

What is a sports rivalry without enemies? :noidea:

Is your post just an attempt to create a silly internet argument?

Where did I say I wanted a one league team? I said another team is just another enemy therefore I do not support the start up of a new team. Also your inability to read a my full post stopped you from seeing the more pressing part of my comment........the league has too many poorly supported teams therefore in this economic time they should not be looking to expand at all.

MartinUtd
03-15-2009, 09:36 PM
If Ottawa gets their dream downtown SSS then it would be a great move. I just dont see that happening given the push for a CFL franchise and/or the potential of the team being placed in Kanata.

The best thing Ottawa can do is go for a USL1 franchise, pocket the $39million and then think about MLS after 5 years.

Bars92
03-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Ottawa would be great for roadtrips, but Montreal is looking like a way better choice.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
If Ottawa gets their dream downtown SSS then it would be a great move. I just dont see that happening given the push for a CFL franchise and/or the potential of the team being placed in Kanata.

The best thing Ottawa can do is go for a USL1 franchise, pocket the $39million and then think about MLS after 5 years.

i agree but id bet good money that Melnyk isnt really that interested in "developing canadian soccer"

Ottawa MLS Fan
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM

There is no dream downtown SSS being put forward by anyone. All that is in the mix is a dream SSS in Kanata (which is still part of urban Ottawa, and only 20 mins from downtown), or a 'downtown' CFL stadium.

If Ottawa doesn't get an MLS franchise in Kanata in this round (or awarded early for 2012) there will never be the chance to change a USL1 franchise into an MLS one. The CFL stadium will be built instead, and it is impossible to conceive of a situation where there is 1) another ownership group that wants to spend that kind of money, and 2) MLS awarding Ottawa a franchise without an SSS.

The reason Ottawa's bid is still standing is Eugene Melnyk, his $40M, and his SSS plan. Take those three away and Ottawa is not getting a franchise.

nimamalek
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I dont think Ottawa is a good choice, I would rather see Montreal and Vancouver in before Ottawa.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

screw montreal and vancouver.....they both suck....ottawa first

Redcoe15
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
screw montreal and vancouver.....they both suck....ottawa first
Yeah, screw cities that have a deep soccer background. Let's only put teams in places whose only criteria is that some guy says he'll pay the fee and can get public money to build him his stadium way out in the boonies, and nothing else. :rolleyes5:

nascarguy
03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
screw montreal they fucked up there bid by being big babys after they could not get the money. if they had a deep soccer background why did the city not put up the money.

Blizzard
03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
screw montreal they fucked up there bid by being big babys after they could not get the money. if they had a deep soccer background why did the city not put up the money.

You're not making sense. The city had nothing to do with it. It all came down to one man. He has the money. The problem is ego.

Super Cereal
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, screw cities that have a deep soccer background. Let's only put teams in places whose only criteria is that some guy says he'll pay the fee and can get public money to build him his stadium way out in the boonies, and nothing else. :rolleyes5:

Kanata, and more specifically Scotiabank Place is far from "way out in the boonies". Spoken like a typical anti-Ottawa MLS person, exaggerations and more.

Kanata may not be ideal, but it's not way out in the boonies.

S_D
03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I think the only way this can work out is the two groups merge into one group. They would then have full control of revenues for both CFL and MLS. Unfortunately I don't think this would ever happen as neither of them believe the other is a viable long term business.

nascarguy
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Kanata, and more specifically Scotiabank Place is far from "way out in the boonies". Spoken like a typical anti-Ottawa MLS person, exaggerations and more.

yeah i used google maps just to see where the place was yeah far but where are you going to find a space in ottawa.

nascarguy
03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
You're not making sense. The city had nothing to do with it. It all came down to one man. He has the money. The problem is ego.
yeah i know the city had nothing to do with

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Vancouvers background does not mean MLS success....Vancouver has a good lacrosse background and look what happened to the NLL Ravens!!
So lets not get to excited about the Caps IF they get a team, even that is not 100%, maybe 50% tops.

Mark in Ottawa
03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
If Ottawa doesn't get an MLS franchise in Kanata in this round (or awarded early for 2012) there will never be the chance to change a USL1 franchise into an MLS one. The CFL stadium will be built instead, and it is impossible to conceive of a situation where there is 1) another ownership group that wants to spend that kind of money, and 2) MLS awarding Ottawa a franchise without an SSS.
Lets get it straight... a Soccer Specific Stadium is not... repeat NOT a prerequisite for an MLS franchise. It is desired but not mandatory... see Seattle and New York.

What is mandatory is an ownership group with deep pockets, good management credentials and a market that will allow the product to thrive.

Mark in Ottawa
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Kanata isn't exactly next door if you live in the eastern sectors of greater Ottawa. It is a fair hike from Orleans and Cumberland. That being said the fans, like Yeoman, coming down highway 17 from Petawawa are laughing.

Kanata is not at all friendly as a locale when coming from the Quebec side.

Neither Kanata nor Lansdowne park are very well serviced by a true "rapid transit" service but at least a soccer franchise will not mean winter driving. Lets face it... ScotiaBank place can be a nightmare to get to and from in the winter.

The NHL always cracks me up when they broadcast hockey from Ottawa and continually show shots of Parliament Hill and Confederation Square.
They are nowhere near the arena complex.

nascarguy
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Scotiabank Place is on the south-west side of Kanata

egoodwin
03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah i used google maps just to see where the place was yeah far but where are you going to find a space in ottawa.
Lebreton Flats

nascarguy
03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah Lansdowne park is a great place lots of parking
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Lansdowne+park+ottawa&sll=43.23656,-79.766089&sspn=0.006065,0.018904&ie=UTF8&ll=45.398721,-75.683312&spn=0.001461,0.004726&t=h&z=18

nascarguy
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
what is a cross from tom brown arena on bayview rd. right beside the ottawa river parkway

Redcoe15
03-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Vancouvers background does not mean MLS success....Vancouver has a good lacrosse background and look what happened to the NLL Ravens!!
So lets not get to excited about the Caps IF they get a team, even that is not 100%, maybe 50% tops.
And how is Ottawa deemed a better as a soccer market to you than Vancouver? :toetap05:

Mark in Ottawa
03-17-2009, 07:12 AM
what is a cross from tom brown arena on bayview rd. right beside the ottawa river parkway
Directly across? One of the largest snow dumps in the city. It is used extensively to hold the snow collections from the inner city.

There are fields all along the transit way at the Bayview/Lebreton stretch.
Unfortunately the land is owned by the National Capital Commission after they expropriated and evicted the residents of Lebreton Flats more than 50 years ago. They are just now getting around to redeveloping the area and a sports complex or any other commercial venue is not high on the NCC radar.

Ottawa city Government is too gutless to push the NCC for what might be best for the city as a whole.