PDA

View Full Version : D.C. United SSS campaign needs your support

Naturegirl
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I received this letter from the D.C. United FO today. Please take the time to send a comment. Any SSS built in North America will benefit us all and beautiful game.
Thanks

Connie,
We need your help! Several groups who oppose our stadium are bombarding Maryland state and county legislators with e-mails and letters asking them to block our proposed new stadium.
Perhaps the up-beat news conference several weeks ago caused our supporters to think this was a done deal -- but nothing could be further from the truth.
It's time for you to weigh in strongly (http://dcunited.xert.net/d.cfm?m=108276.200.0.638) and let them know of your support for our stadium plans!
It doesn't matter where you live -- if you support us and want to see us in the type of stadium our club and our fans deserve, you need to take action now! If you live in Maryland, let them know, but, regardless, your support will make all the difference.
The most important to contact at this time are the members of the House of Delegates Committee on Budget and Appropriations, which will hold a hearing on our bill next Tuesday, and the Senate Tax and Finance Committee, which will also hold a hearing next week on the bill.
I cannot over-emphasize the importance of this. We have to let the lawmakers know that we want the stadium, and we'll fill it up once it's built. A failure in this effort could have far-reaching effects -- the bottom line is we cannot remain long-term in RFK, and this is the only stadium option, which is available to us now.
Don't take anything for granted. Call or e-mail today (http://dcunited.xert.net/d.cfm?m=108276.200.0.639), if you care about your team and the game!

Kevin Payne
President, D.C. United
E-mail Maryland lawmakers now! (http://dcunited.xert.net/d.cfm?m=108276.200.0.640)
D.C. United
RFK Stadium
2400 East Capitol St. SE
Washington, DC 20003
dcucustomerservice@dcunited.com

adamdz
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Email sent, get on it folks!

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-10-2009, 02:58 PM
sent mine it hope it helps!1

Detroit_TFC
03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I sent one. Basically said I'm a TFC supporter and I will travel to DCU's SSS, stay in their hotels, eat in their restaurants and pay their vistors taxes and that's why this project is worth supporting.

Toronto Gunner
03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I wrote an emphasized the role that atmosphere plays in building hype for the team. DC has great fans, but without a SSS, they won't be able to spread their love for the beautiful game to nearly as many casual fans.

canadian_bhoy
03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Can we set something like this up to appeal to the City/Province/Feds/MLSE to fix up our little Cracker Jack box by the lake?

Lucky Strike
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
^Did pretty much all of the above and included our good away support history to show we come to spend our money in large numbers, emphasized the good support DC has gotten and the fact that it has had a good history.

jloome
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I just said I'd love to come to their city for a game and spend a few thousand vacation dollars.... if they had the right atmosphere and amenities.

James Oliphant
03-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Any chance of our Charleston travellers whipping up a banner for tomorrow night?

Something along the lines of:
"Just give 'em a fuckin' stadium, will ya?"

TFCREDNWHITE
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Sent mine...

CretanBull
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Message sent!

BBBulldog
03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you everyone sending in support :)

Workie
03-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I received this letter from the D.C. United FO today. Please take the time to send a comment. Any SSS built in North America will benefit us all and beautiful game.
Thanks

Connie,
We need your help! Several groups who oppose our stadium are bombarding Maryland state and county legislators with e-mails and letters asking them to block our proposed new stadium.
Perhaps the up-beat news conference several weeks ago caused our supporters to think this was a done deal -- but nothing could be further from the truth.
It's time for you to weigh in strongly (http://dcunited.xert.net/d.cfm?m=108276.200.0.638) and let them know of your support for our stadium plans!
It doesn't matter where you live -- if you support us and want to see us in the type of stadium our club and our fans deserve, you need to take action now! If you live in Maryland, let them know, but, regardless, your support will make all the difference.
The most important to contact at this time are the members of the House of Delegates Committee on Budget and Appropriations, which will hold a hearing on our bill next Tuesday, and the Senate Tax and Finance Committee, which will also hold a hearing next week on the bill.
I cannot over-emphasize the importance of this. We have to let the lawmakers know that we want the stadium, and we'll fill it up once it's built. A failure in this effort could have far-reaching effects -- the bottom line is we cannot remain long-term in RFK, and this is the only stadium option, which is available to us now.
Don't take anything for granted. Call or e-mail today (http://dcunited.xert.net/d.cfm?m=108276.200.0.639), if you care about your team and the game!

Kevin Payne
President, D.C. United
E-mail Maryland lawmakers now! (http://dcunited.xert.net/d.cfm?m=108276.200.0.640)
D.C. United
RFK Stadium
2400 East Capitol St. SE
Washington, DC 20003
dcucustomerservice@dcunited.com

Funny they send this to you.

Funny the fans they send to Charleston don't shake hands. Don't want free beer and "I don't talk to Toronto fans" is the comment I got from a couple.

Granted the reps from the Screaming Eagles was great as always. But naw I won't be sending a letter to help them out. Don't spit on my shoes and then ask for a hand out.

Azerban
03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
I want to see DCU moved to St. Louis, if only to watch the Barra Brava gnash their teeth and to hear the lamentations of their women. Maybe if they play nice the league will let them back in, in 2013.

s2cazz
03-11-2009, 01:26 AM

Funny the fans they send to Charleston don't shake hands. Don't want free beer and "I don't talk to Toronto fans" is the comment I got from a couple.

Granted the reps from the Screaming Eagles was great as always. But naw I won't be sending a letter to help them out. Don't spit on my shoes and then ask for a hand out.
We all can get going talking a lot of shit about other teams ( I know I am extremely guilty of this) but I think that we should support them and their cause. This is about being a fan of the sport and helping other fans of the sport. Not because they are our friend but because they, like us, want to see this sport and this league succeed. They may appreciate our help or they may not. One day we may need their help and they may help us they may not but we will know that we helped them when they needed it and we will be the better people for it!

I am going to get off my soapbox now and send an email!:D

Brooker
03-11-2009, 01:51 AM
wow workie. they were that bad? in that case.........

piss off DCU. i hope you play in a NFL stadium forever.

i'm inclined to think they'd tell us to piss off too...... if we asked for help, that is.

Cashcleaner
03-11-2009, 02:02 AM

I don't get this either. I really don't have a lot of respect for the other fans in this league and I have my doubts any of them would go out of their way to help us in a similar situation. I mean, I don't tend to hate other fans in MLS, they just don't register much with me, but like I said, I wouldn't expect the same in return so why not let them fight their own battles.

Yes, you can argue that as soccer supporters in North America we're all facing a bit of a battle to get some recognition for the game we love, but I show my solidarity by buying season tickets and seeing a bit of that money go to the league as a whole and spread around where its needed.

Lucky Strike
03-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I want to see DCU moved to St. Louis, if only to watch the Barra Brava gnash their teeth and to hear the lamentations of their women. Maybe if they play nice the league will let them back in, in 2013.

Lol, that's part ofthe tagline for one of the Major Fantasy League Soccer mini-leagues. Did you get that from there or is that your league?

RicoSuave44
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
sent

CretanBull
03-11-2009, 08:19 AM

That sucks.

To be honest, the attitude of the Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava mean more to me than just some casual fans, but it sucks that anyone associated with DC would have a bad view of us considering how much respect most of us have for them.

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I didn't write the note so much as an effort to help DCU, rather that having them in a SSS is good for the league and good for our own away experience.

Yohan
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
there are always few retards in every group

Azerban
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Lol, that's part ofthe tagline for one of the Major Fantasy League Soccer mini-leagues. Did you get that from there or is that your league?

this forum makes me feel much older than it has any right to

it's conan the barbarian

CretanBull
03-11-2009, 08:51 AM

it's conan the barbarian

Is that a character that Conan played before going on late night tv?

Alarius
03-11-2009, 09:02 AM
there are always few retards in every group

I sent an email because:
a) its good for the league, brings more credibility when a majority of our teams play in actual soccer stadiums.
b) its good for the sport
c) it shows more strength of character when you help someone out even though you know they would never return the favor...

Toronto Gunner
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
^^^

Point C is an important one. We can be the bigger men/women.

Lucky Strike
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM

it's conan the barbarian

Lol, it'll make you feel older to know I have no clue what that is.

BBBulldog
03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

She's probably on mailing list, same way as I get RPB email, I assume cos of this board. Or why I get general announcement stuff from most FOs in league due to dealing with them.

As for Major League Friendship Barra tries not to participate, that's just the way we are, stay away from other groups aside from exceptions. You get friendly people occasionally, but that's cos we didn't get to them yet :D

I don't see what that has to do with action like this, we were first to back up Sector Latino and S8 publicaly even tho it damaged our relations to their FO, and even with erm... problem :D we had with them previous away match and even tho they are one of our our top rivals. Or stuff like http://www.bastaic.com/ultras/kc4/8_3_2008_dc_kc_a.jpg cos TA would help the shit support scene in MLS more than any other city.

Then again it's your email so up to you, noone forcing you to do it. :)

Flipityflu
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
i don't see anything wrong with supporting something like this no matter what team. you can't complain about playing in crappy stadiums not built for footy and then sit back and not do anything about it.

i fully expect DC fans to support our drive for real grass though :)

C.Ronaldo
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
sent mine.

b/c I cant hate a wounded puppy, I need a real team with a real stadium to hate

James17930
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Why would anyone want to oppose it?

<sigh> People.

Toronto Gunner
03-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I just received a thank you for your support email regarding my email supporting DC's SSS from:

Keith Haynes
Delegate, Maryland General Assembly
44th Legislative District

The letter was in jpeg format, but is basically just a thank you for supporting the cause of the Maryland Stadium Authority's bid to build the stadium.

NF-FC
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
what i don't understand here is: There is a $47 million gap in the funding. Thats definitely a big gap. But the proposed stadium is $190 million! why can't they just scale back the project? They don't need a $190 million stadium, they just need a home. if you take away the $47 million, that's still $143 million stadium, or second most expensive behind RBA.

Mars
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Message sent.

BBBulldog
03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
haha at least we crashed their servers if nothing else :D

http://www.gazette.net/stories/03122009/prinnew143513_32509.shtml

behind RBA.

inconceivable :D

Detroit_TFC
03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Fucking Christ, don't these legislators understand the number of jobs this would create?

I used to be opposed to public money on stadiums until I saw the effect Comerica Park and Ford Field had in revitalizing midtown Detroit. The area still has a long way to go but its way better than what it was before the stadiums were there.

Joe Kool
03-13-2009, 11:04 AM
haha at least we crashed their servers if nothing else :D

http://www.gazette.net/stories/03122009/prinnew143513_32509.shtml

inconceivable :D

That story is saying that the officials there don't really care about the emails from anyone that isn't local. At least it gets the issue in the news I guess so they can't just defeat the bill quietly.

BBBulldog
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
That story is saying that the officials there don't really care about the emails from anyone that isn't local. At least it gets the issue in the news I guess so they can't just defeat the bill quietly.

that's weird since those are out of county funds pouring in from those people :D

Lucky Strike
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
what i don't understand here is: There is a $47 million gap in the funding. Thats definitely a big gap. But the proposed stadium is $190 million! why can't they just scale back the project? They don't need a $190 million stadium, they just need a home. if you take away the $47 million, that's still $143 million stadium, or second most expensive behind RBA.

Precisely, BMO was built for 65 million and Saputo stadium for a paltry 15 million. Even if you factor in the cost of upgrading to approx. 20,000 seats which they established at 20 million I believe, that's still a very economical project.

NF-FC
03-13-2009, 01:38 PM
^Exactly, the bottom line is that they can build a mighty fine 24,000 seat stadium for 140 million bucks and not use a cent of county funds.

CretanBull
03-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Dicks. "Hey tourists, we don't give a shit about you" Thanks assholes. I'll continue to spend my money in cities with SSS.

TorontoBlades
03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
fuck DC United

TorontoBlades
03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
let me back up my point by saying - I give 100% to TFC, that leave nothing left for that club - yesterday's news they are

Cashcleaner
03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Precisely, BMO was built for 65 million and Saputo stadium for a paltry 15 million. Even if you factor in the cost of upgrading to approx. 20,000 seats which they established at 20 million I believe, that's still a very economical project.

Well, that's the thing. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the cash for Stade Saptuo was fronted by the owner himself. Now we all know Joey Saputo is a business man, and because of that fact, he's trying to get his stadium made as quickly and cheaply as possible. Contractors know this and bid and negotiate accordingly. Now the more the government is involved, the more costs tend to go up because of the realities of bureaucracy and the fact that we're not really talking about money coming out of a person's own bank account.

If the DCU ownership was willing to front all the cash themselves to build a stadium to accomodate exactly what they need, we wouldn't have any problems. A $190 million dollar stadium for a team that draws an average of 19,000 in their current home simply doesn't make sense.

sulfur
03-15-2009, 07:29 AM
In talking to some of the DC supporters last night after they won the Coffee Cup, they were quite thrilled at the response they'd gotten from us in terms of sending emails in support of the stadium, and wanted to say thanks.

Just fyi.

boban
03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, that's the thing. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the cash for Stade Saptuo was fronted by the owner himself. Now we all know Joey Saputo is a business man, and because of that fact, he's trying to get his stadium made as quickly and cheaply as possible. Contractors know this and bid and negotiate accordingly. Now the more the government is involved, the more costs tend to go up because of the realities of bureaucracy and the fact that we're not really talking about money coming out of a person's own bank account.

If the DCU ownership was willing to front all the cash themselves to build a stadium to accomodate exactly what they need, we wouldn't have any problems. A $190 million dollar stadium for a team that draws an average of 19,000 in their current home simply doesn't make sense.
The stadium would be used for national team games. Also just becuase they average 19,000 doesn't mean a larger stadium is not needed. There are games where 25,000 plus show up. Also, the 190 million is not just for the stadium. Some deal goes into the land and infrastructure around the actual stadium.

BBBulldog
03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
besides we average 20k :D

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
that's weird since those are out of county funds pouring in from those people :D

Yes, but the voters all live in the area, and that's all they care about.

- Scott

mikenfer
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I sent an email because:
a) its good for the league, brings more credibility when a majority of our teams play in actual soccer stadiums.
b) its good for the sport
c) it shows more strength of character when you help someone out even though you know they would never return the favor...

Totally agree. Message sent. Done and done.

BBBulldog
03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
they said 40k emails sent through DCU form at rally in Annapolis today (in addition to those of us that sent it before form went up :)) hehe