PDA

View Full Version : Portland MLS bid on thin ice

Vancouver MLS
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
They need a third Yes Vote Wednesday for the Stadium proposal to be approved, and that's not certain at this point:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/03/adams_leonard_defend_soccer_de.html (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/03/adams_leonard_defend_soccer_de.html)

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=123670400456450000 (http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=123670400456450000)

Redcoe15
03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
^ :troll:

Super Cereal
03-10-2009, 06:21 PM
^ :troll:

Are the RPB extra supportive of Portland or something?

MartinUtd
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Any city with real grassroots support gets my vote

Ageroo
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow...I was reading through the comments left on these articles....some good points made and some loons......interesting debate though.

T_Mizz
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow...I was reading through the comments left on these articles....some good points made and some loons......interesting debate though.
Yeah it always is interesting when loons argue people making good points:D I've seen that on here a few times, without naming names:rolleyes:

Ageroo
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
ha ha...I was going to say that........but left it out...:)

FluSH
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
WTF?

Is any bid safe?

Vancouver MLS
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Here's Portland's Mayor chiming in:

http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/?c=49519&a=234419 (http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/?c=49519&a=234419)

I want you to watch Sam Adams' presentation here and judge how it compares to Vancouver's Mayor Gregor Robertson announcing that homeowners here will be allowed to have chickens in their backyards:

http://www.kptv.com/video/18898724/index.html (http://www.kptv.com/video/18898724/index.html)

Dirk Diggler
03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Man ... this is getting ridiculous. I wish things hadn't gotten sour between Impact and MLS . They were the surest bid MLS will probably ever receive.

drewski
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
i really hope montreal, or preferably ottawa get one on the chance i might be moving there

Lucky Strike
03-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't know if it's just Canadian bias, but I always thought from the get-go that Montreal and Vancouver were the most attractive all-around bids. True, some others were better in some areas but overall, I've always felt those two were the best choices available.

That being said, Portland does seem like a nice place, I didn't know it was a prominent footballing market (prior to the expansion race I mean, I didn't just learn this now). If they do get a team, I certainly hope that the renovation done on PGE Park involved seating re-arrangement because football in a baseball stadium is awkward to say the least.

P.S. There's some guy who says: "FOOTBALL thats NFL REAL FOOTBALL". Why is pointyball even called football in the first place? Players never use their feet: sure there's the kicker who comes on once in a while for the field goal or punt, but cumulatively, he can't be on the field for more than 2-3 minutes playing time per game.

deltox
03-11-2009, 10:37 AM
if a CDN teamgets in, wont that make it harder for us to acquire CDN players?

flatpicker
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
if a CDN teamgets in, wont that make it harder for us to acquire CDN players?

sure there might be more competition for top Canadian talent,
But I think domestic restrictions might be adjusted if more Canadian teams are added.

Steve
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't know if it's just Canadian bias, but I always thought from the get-go that Montreal and Vancouver were the most attractive all-around bids. True, some others were better in some areas but overall, I've always felt those two were the best choices available.

That being said, Portland does seem like a nice place, I didn't know it was a prominent footballing market (prior to the expansion race I mean, I didn't just learn this now). If they do get a team, I certainly hope that the renovation done on PGE Park involved seating re-arrangement because football in a baseball stadium is awkward to say the least.

P.S. There's some guy who says: "FOOTBALL thats NFL REAL FOOTBALL". Why is pointyball even called football in the first place? Players never use their feet: sure there's the kicker who comes on once in a while for the field goal or punt, but cumulatively, he can't be on the field for more than 2-3 minutes playing time per game.

Please please PLEASE can people stop using this arguement? It's ridiculous, and just as ignorant as those calling american football the only real type of football. In fact, the history of the word "football" most likely refers to players playing a game, with a ball, on foot (as opposed to the popular mounted games played by those who could afford horses). There have always been many types of football (including Rugby football and Association football) around which had very different rules. People tend to call a game "football" when it is the most popular form of "football" in their country. Americans are just as justified in calling american football "football" as anyone else is in calling association football "football". In fact, in North America, they're probably more justified.

Don Julio
03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Please please PLEASE can people stop using this arguement? It's ridiculous, and just as ignorant as those calling american football the only real type of football. In fact, the history of the word "football" most likely refers to players playing a game, with a ball, on foot (as opposed to the popular mounted games played by those who could afford horses). There have always been many types of football (including Rugby football and Association football) around which had very different rules. People tend to call a game "football" when it is the most popular form of "football" in their country. Americans are just as justified in calling american football "football" as anyone else is in calling association football "football". In fact, in North America, they're probably more justified.

More to the point, who gives a fuck?

Toronto_Bhoy
03-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Trying to get public funding in this economy is going to be very difficult…especially for stadia that is specific to one sport.

I'm sure this is not the only bid in trouble.

I bet the Impact's reduced expansion fee is looking extremely good to Mr. Garber now…

TFCREDNWHITE
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought they had their vote yesterday or today!?? Whats going on with the city vote???

drewski
03-11-2009, 12:00 PM

because american football is based on rugby, which is also known as rugby football

flatpicker
03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
because american football is based on rugby, which is also known as rugby football

at least they use their feet a lot in rugby football!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Trying to get public funding in this economy is going to be very difficult…especially for stadia that is specific to one sport.

I bet the Impact's reduced expansion fee is looking extremely good to Mr. Garber now…

Not really the league has a certain fee and expect potential candidates to meet certain requirements and Montreal did none of that..Montreal won;t be missed. Not expanding in 2011 might be the best possible move for the league right now..keep the league stable and expand again in 2013,
but that time maybe some more qualified cities we knock an Grabers door!

drewski
03-11-2009, 12:39 PM

with all the infrastructure money being doled out right now I think it'd be easier then in good times when people don't necessarily want government funded make work projects.

the biggest obstacle might be the fed governments feeling towards quebec, ie. do they think funding it will help give them a better result in the next election (just as a note, this isn't just based on my feeling towards the current fed government but the government at any time, regardless of the party in charge)

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
More chance of both Vancouver and Montreal getting in then, with every other bid seemingly on life support.

Lucky Strike
03-11-2009, 01:01 PM

If that's the argument you advance, fine, but you really shouldn't be insulting people to do it: it's people like you who stifle constructive discussion and/or debates and you're wrong to do it.

And besides, you provided no sources for your information...

gmacpheetfc
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I take it that the bid did not recieve a third vote this afternoon?

Roogsy
03-11-2009, 02:18 PM

You've gone mad.

Super Cereal
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I take it that the bid did not recieve a third vote this afternoon?

Please tell me this is the case!

drewski
03-11-2009, 02:38 PM
sounds like it might take a while. this article was put up less then an hour ago

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/03/portland_council_debates_socce.html

drewski
03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
if you really wanna keep up to date, you can watch the council meeting live

http://www.portlandonline.com/index.cfm?c=28258

Dirk Diggler
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM

I agree. I don't know why the person you quoted felt the need to bring that argument up anyways. Extremely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-11-2009, 05:09 PM
so what happened??

Vancouver MLS
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
they're still debating, arguing, hearing public testimony, etc

might be this evening before a Vote comes down

TFCREDNWHITE
03-11-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.portlandonline.com/index.cfm?c=28258

Live on right now...

They are talking about it right now, vote should happen within 10-15 mins