PDA

View Full Version : MLSR - Philly name?

Mojo
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I guess I'll start the thread the way all MLSR threads should be started:

I know its only MLSR, but maybe this could be true?

Its some pretty decent sleuthing, but until its confirmed by MLS themselves, we cant really be sure.

MLSR is reporting that the team name will be AC Philadelphia. If thats true, I think its a pretty good name, classic yet still original in MLS terms :) Hopefully they'll actually put the A in AC to the test and branch out into other sports like an athletic club is supposed to.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/03/expansion-welcome-ac-philadelphia-most.html

nascarguy
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
good name

Brooker
03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
why not a proper MLS name?

like Philidelphia Tornadoes?

:P

kodiakTFC
03-08-2009, 09:21 PM
why not a proper MLS name?

like Philidelphia Tornadoes?

:P

Oooo this has a nice ring to it. AC Philly is good, I'd have preferred Union but its their fans choice I guess.

dclaro
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
one of the comments on MLSR, the AC/DC derby, sounds cool

T_Mizz
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Alternating Current Philidelphia? I guess that makes sense if the league is willing to accept the ridiculous name of Direct Current United

RealG-TFC
03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
What does AC stand for?

Chevy
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Associazione Calcio? Not in Philly...

koryo
03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Not bad, though AFC Philadelphia might be slightly more appropriate.

Alternating current...nice :)

Mojo
03-08-2009, 09:56 PM
AC = Athletic Club.

My personal favourite way back when was Independence FC, AC Philly was a close second.

dantdot
03-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Liked Union but as long as they're not named after fictional magic people or natural disasters, it's a success.

RealG-TFC
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
AC = Athletic Club.

My personal favourite way back when was Independence FC, AC Philly was a close second.

But...they aren't an athletic club...

rocker
03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
soccer is pretty athletic... ;) and they are a club (just like we have Toronto Football Club) :)

Cashcleaner
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
No, AC Philadelphia is NOT a good name.

Athletic Club Philadephia? C'mon guys, we all know its another attempt at riding the coattails of another world-renown club. Don't give me this bullshit of Athletic Club when you really know your copying "Associazione Calcio" because its an already established identity.

Listen, in Philadelphia they predominatly speak English. And when you speak English, you have to use English grammer.

Athletic Club Philadephia makes no sense. It just doesn't. Sure, we know what they're trying to say, but it doesn't work. Now if you call the team Philadelphia Athletic Club or Philadelphia Association Football Club that would make sense. And on top of that, its ORIGINAL.

noochie
03-09-2009, 12:07 AM
I agree with you Cash, I think it is silly... AC also implies (at least to me) that there is some history of development before fielding a pro team which does not apply in this case. I was kinda hoping for Quaker City FC... because then we could have a nice TIFO of the dude from the Oatmeal box. :D

twistedchinaman
03-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I think at one time one of the proposed names WAS Philadelphia Athletic. I think the issue was that the Oakland Athletics owned that name. I think -- so that knocked it out.

AC Philly is close to the same idea, and yes it does ride on Milan's name...but well, Independence FC is just lame.

twistedchinaman
03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Listen, in Philadelphia they predominatly speak English. .

But with a heavy Italian population, second largest besides New York.

Brooker
03-09-2009, 01:21 AM
cash, the name has Philidelphia in it to begin with.

no matter what they call it, it's still gonna be garbage. AC or not.

Keystone FC
03-09-2009, 02:29 AM

Athletic Club Philadephia? C'mon guys, we all know its another attempt at riding the coattails of another world-renown club. Don't give me this bullshit of Athletic Club when you really know your copying "Associazione Calcio" because its an already established identity.

Listen, in Philadelphia they predominatly speak English. And when you speak English, you have to use English grammer.

Athletic Club Philadephia makes no sense. It just doesn't. Sure, we know what they're trying to say, but it doesn't work. Now if you call the team Philadelphia Athletic Club or Philadelphia Association Football Club that would make sense. And on top of that, its ORIGINAL.

It could have been worse:

Sporting Club Philadelphia
Racing Club Philadelphia
Philly DeDe
Phiddle Sticks
Philler Up
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Philadelphia Story

:D

drewski
03-09-2009, 06:25 AM
It may be riding the coattails of Italian clubs but at least the name "Athletic Club" Philly makes some sense, far more then "Real" Salt Lake

ensco
03-09-2009, 06:51 AM
It may be riding the coattails of Italian clubs but at least the name "Athletic Club" Philly makes some sense, far more then "Real" Salt Lake

Or Real de Banjul!

How about the Atoms FC?

http://www.jamiepeck.com/atoms/index.htm

Damien
03-09-2009, 07:20 AM
So when Philly plays DC United it'll be AC/DC :lol:

Wagner
03-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Racing Club Philadelphia
Philly DeDe
Phiddle Sticks
Philler Up
The Philadelphia Story

have you seen the episode with the Euro Roommate??
or the one about the small budget Play?
Goddamn that show is funny.

Luanda
03-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Something along the lines of
Philadelphia Constitution
Philadelphia Rebels
Philadelphia 1776

Oldtimer
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Something along the lines of
Philadelphia Constitution
Philadelphia Rebels
Philadelphia 1776

Nice, but too much like the "New England Revolution" IMO.

Of course, maybe "AC Philidelphia" stands for "American Constitution Philadelphia." :lol:

TFC_Chris
03-09-2009, 09:40 AM

Racing Club Philadelphia
Philly DeDe
Phiddle Sticks
Philler Up
The Philadelphia Story

You forgot Philadelphia Freedom...

Plenty of Trout
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
But with a heavy Italian population, second largest besides New York.

I didn't know that.

I would have thought Chicago was 2nd after NY.

Damien
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Philadelphia Freedom Fries

TOBOR !
03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
it's crap. it's the same idea that they ran by us (Inter Toronto) that was flat-out rejected. Too much of this association with big Euro clubs in order to generate early interest. I'm surprised the Sons of Ben allowed this to happen.

Kevvv
03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I know the name but I'm not saying... but here's a preview of their logo:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5283497/2/istockphoto_5283497-philadelphia-cheese-steak.jpg

Red CB Toronto
03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I like the Philadelphia Bell, Freedom, Capitals, plays off the history of the city.

Capitals is interesting since Philidelphia was the capital city of the US prior to Washington.

rocker
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Since they will be located in Chester, Philadelphia, you could call them the

Philadelphia Chesterfields.

Mojo
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Since they will be located in Chester, Philadelphia, you could call them the

Philadelphia Chesterfields.

Is that what the stadium is gonna be called? Chesterfield?

Can give it the nickname "The Couch". :)

profit89
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Ac philly.. good name

trane
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
AC makes no sense, for many reason AC as some have pointed out is Associazione Calcio, or Football Association. Using Italian in an English name makes no sense. AC is not a "nickname" nobody in Milano, calls AC Milan AC, AC Milan is Milan while INTENAZIONALE MILAN, is Inter. Calling Milan AC would be like calling Toronto FC, FC. It should not happen.

trane
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
A proviso to what I said if AC, is Athletic Club Philadelphia, as some have suggested, then it is a good name. But still it is clear that they are trying to conect with the Milan brand.

I like Cash's suggestion Philadelphia AFC , Association Football Club, ties in to the tradition, and to the American identity as Association Football is the root of the word "soccer". .

drewski
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
A proviso to what I said if AC, is Athletic Club Philadelphia, as some have suggested, then it is a good name. But still it is clear that they are trying to conect with the Milan brand.

thats part of it. the other is to connect to the sporting history of of the city, specifically the old Philadelphia Athletics baseball team

Stugatzo
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Philadelphia United...

P.U.

hahaha

devioustrevor
03-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Or Real de Banjul!

The Gambia was a Portuguese Colony for a long time. Is it possible that Real means the same thing in Portuguese as it does in Spanish. Banjul was set up by the British to be fortress to control the surrounding area to try and end the slave trade.

TFC Via Buffalo
03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Philadelphia 1776 sounds cool. It's just really close to the NBA team's name, the Philadelphia 76ers.

I'd just be happy as long as they aren't named after Tom Hanks or a cheese steak.

A nice, classless banner can stem from that though. :D

TOBOR !
03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
...reading through a good book at the moment : CALCIO a history of Italian Football by John Foot. Based on what it says in there I'm not sure that any type of naming association with Milan, Inter, or Juventus (for that matter) is a good thing.

I recommend it.

ExiledRed
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I thought 'The Philadelphia Brotherly Lovers FC' was a lock.

Luanda
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
The Gambia was a Portuguese Colony for a long time. Is it possible that Real means the same thing in Portuguese as it does in Spanish. Banjul was set up by the British to be fortress to control the surrounding area to try and end the slave trade.

You need to re-read your history of Portuguese colonialism!

ensco
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Coffee coming out of my nose!

ensco
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
...reading through a good book at the moment : CALCIO a history of Italian Football by John Foot. Based on what it says in there I'm not sure that any type of naming association with Milan, Inter, or Juventus (for that matter) is a good thing.

I recommend it.

That is a fabulous book. The stuff about Chinaglia and the Lazio team in the 1970s is unbelievable.

trane
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Nice.

RealG-TFC
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
BUT IT"S NOT AN ATHLETIC CLUB!!! And athletic club is not only one sport but many different ones!! It's not a good name at all!

Look atFenerbahçe Spor Kulübü(Sport Club), the reason why they are called a sport club is because they have teams for various different sports.

james
03-09-2009, 05:33 PM

i agree that philadelphia Athletic club would sound much better then Athletic club Philadelphia, its kind of like Real Salt Lake. Just seems like they trying to hard to be like other Euro clubs. But with that said anythin is still better then the usual North American sport team names that have a natural disaster or a made up character like the freakin wizards.

james
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
BUT IT"S NOT AN ATHLETIC CLUB!!! And athletic club is not only one sport but many different ones!! It's not a good name at all!

Look atFenerbahçe Spor Kulübü(Sport Club), the reason why they are called a sport club is because they have teams for various different sports.

i dont know, what about teams in England like Charalton Athletic! there is also many soccer teams in the lower Nation wide divisions that have Athletic attached to the name, as far as i know they dont got other sports involved.

Also in Basbeall you got the Oakland Athletics to who have been around a long time now.

i dont mind Athletic, i agree with cash tho, at least put it the proper english way since english is the main language rather then putting Athletic Club Philly. Should be Philly Athletic, or Philly Athletic Football Club, somethin on those lines.

Redcoe15
03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
If the Philly fans (Sons of Ben) had their way, the team would have been called Philadelphia Athletic. But because of licencing issues with MLB (as in, they wouldn't allow it) the name wouldn't have been used. AC Philadelphia sounds like a pretty good name, all things considered.

So when Philly plays DC United it'll be AC/DC :lol:

The county they'll be playing in, Delaware County, is known as Delco. So, you could call them AC Delco. :D

I know the name but I'm not saying... but here's a preview of their logo:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5283497/2/istockphoto_5283497-philadelphia-cheese-steak.jpg

I've had one of those authentic Philly cheesesteaks. They taste greasy, flavorless, and overrated, IMO.

james
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I didn't know that.

I would have thought Chicago was 2nd after NY.

well i know Chicago has the highest population in the world of Polish people outside of Warsaw. They also have a huge Irish/American population, Irish gangs use to run that city back in the 20's and dirty 30's. :D

i dont know about cities...but i saw a chart with states with the highest Italian population and they were:

New York - 3.2 mil
New Jersey - 1.5 mil
Pennsylvania - 1.5 mil
california - 1.1 mil
florida - 1.1 mil

Illinois was 8th on the list with like 700,000 area.

james
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
If the Philly fans (Sons of Ben) had their way, the team would have been called Philadelphia Athletic. But because of licencing issues with MLB (as in, they wouldn't allow it) the name wouldn't have been used. AC Philadelphia sounds like a pretty good name, all things considered.

The county they'll be playing in, Delaware County, is known as Delco. So, you could call them AC Delco. :D

I've had one of those authentic Philly cheesesteaks. They taste greasy, flavorless, and overrated, IMO.

Oakland is the Oakland Atheletics tho, So if you called them Philly Athletic Football Club it wouldnt really be the same, so i dont see why they couldn't use that. Im sure just because they have a license doesnt mean no one can use the name Athletics anywhere in a sports name.

drewski
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Oakland is the Oakland Atheletics tho, So if you called them Philly Athletic Football Club it wouldnt really be the same, so i dont see why they couldn't use that. Im sure just because they have a license doesnt mean no one can use the name Athletics anywhere in a sports name.

the Oakland a's or MLB might still hold some kind of trademark rights to the Philly Athletics name

james
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
the Oakland a's or MLB might still hold some kind of trademark rights to the Philly Athletics name

ya maybe, but still by having Philly Athletic Football Club is different then just having Philly Athletics. Just like Athletic Club Philly is different.

drewski
03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
ya maybe, but still by having Philly Athletic Football Club is different then just having Philly Athletics. Just like Athletic Club Philly is different.

I imagine its similar enough to cause problems, kinda like our situation where TFC's legal name is Toronto FC and not Toronto Football Club because of the similarity to Toronto Argonaut Football Club

Redcoe15
03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
It's MLB that holds the rights to the name Philadelphia Athletics. And they use it for licensing and merchandising purpose. If they can make a buck off of the name, you'd better believe they'll make sure nobody else uses it.

Waggy
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Ok. Is AC Philly a perfect name? Obviously not. Something a bit more original would have been nice. That said, didnt we establish a little while ago that the FC of Toronto FC only IMPLIES Football Club, due to potential copywrite infringement with the Argos? The point is, its a name that automatically brings some semblance of legitimacy to the team and has a decent ring to it. Its an homage to the Italian roots of Philly. Is it perfect? No. But its a hell of a lot better than a lot of MLS team name. Besides, as we all know full well, no-one will EVER actually call the team AC Philadelphia. It'll be shortened to something more organic. So don't worry. No-one will start confusing AC with that other AC. Besides, for all we know it stands for American Cunts Philadelphia. Or Almost Cultured Philly. Almost Cool Philly. Or even Absolutely Communist Philadelphia. So take it easy. My money says this team is known as ACP. Has a nice ring to it no?

Incidentally, if the MLS can get its head out of its ass, some sort of Thursday Philly, Sunday New York roadtrip would SURELY be popular with us. (seeing as 3 days rest isn't exactly uncommon)

MUFC_Niagara
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I can't wait to go to Philadelphia for our first away trip!

Redcoe15
03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Ok. Is AC Philly a perfect name? Obviously not. Something a bit more original would have been nice. That said, didnt we establish a little while ago that the FC of Toronto FC only IMPLIES Football Club, due to potential copywrite infringement with the Argos? The point is, its a name that automatically brings some semblance of legitimacy to the team and has a decent ring to it. Its an homage to the Italian roots of Philly. Is it perfect? No. But its a hell of a lot better than a lot of MLS team name. Besides, as we all know full well, no-one will EVER actually call the team AC Philadelphia. It'll be shortened to something more organic. So don't worry. No-one will start confusing AC with that other AC. Besides, for all we know it stands for American Cunts Philadelphia. Or Almost Cultured Philly. Almost Cool Philly. Or even Absolutely Communist Philadelphia. So take it easy. My money says this team is known as ACP. Has a nice ring to it no?

Incidentally, if the MLS can get its head out of its ass, some sort of Thursday Philly, Sunday New York roadtrip would SURELY be popular with us. (seeing as 3 days rest isn't exactly uncommon)
The Sons of Ben have been calling their team, unofficially, Zolo.

kodiakTFC
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Why don't they just call them Philadelphia Torontos

Cashcleaner
03-10-2009, 01:43 AM

Racing Club Philadelphia
Philly DeDe
Phiddle Sticks
Philler Up
The Philadelphia Story

Stop it! All you're doing is giving them ideas. :p

Keystone FC
03-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Stop it! All you're doing is giving them ideas. :p

As a Chris Creamer member you know you love this stuff as much as I do.:D

Ryan1984
03-10-2009, 05:38 PM
i thought Chester City FC would have been good

Cashcleaner
03-11-2009, 12:39 AM
As a Chris Creamer member you know you love this stuff as much as I do.:D

Ah man, I haven't been to his site in years now. Feel bad about it, I was gonna drop some major money down as a donation but got caught up moving and just never made it back to the forums. :(

TheresOnlyOneDeGuzman
03-11-2009, 03:39 AM
i thought Chester City FC would have been good

already taken

james
03-12-2009, 12:05 AM

i dont know if thats true, i think it was more just the fact that Toronto didnt want people to get confused between 2 different sports being called Football. FC just sort of made it easier.

But i do agree the AC Philly is still ten times better then names like wizards or Earthquakes...but im sure there is a way they can get a name that is spelled the English way. I mean there is like a million teams in the world with Football Club or Athletic Football Club and they all got trade marks to, so im sure there is a way they could sort it out.

Cashcleaner
03-12-2009, 12:13 AM
^ I don't think it is true. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm pretty sure the Argonauts official name is the Toronto Argonauts Rugby Football Club.

Let's face it. Philadelphia is a city with an INSANE amount of history and culture behind it. Why they choose AC Philadelphia as a name instead of something that can pay homage to the city's heritage is beyond me.

Keystone FC
03-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Let's face it. Philadelphia is a city with an INSANE amount of history and culture behind it. Why they choose AC Philadelphia as a name instead of something that can pay homage to the city's heritage is beyond me.

Agreed, Philly has a huge amount history but that would be the easy route and the best name fora Philly team has been taken (76ers).
Plus, there was already people on the net exhaulting the 'Athletic' name so for MLSPhilly to go a different route would go against an already supportive fanbase.
IF AC Philadelphia is chosen then they have, in some way, listened to it's fanbase and in the same breath left an opening for the fans to help create an identity for the club.
There are alot of people who hate this 'FC', 'AC', 'SC' in front or after the city name. They want names like...Crew, Burn, Hawks to make it an 'American' league but what I don't think they understand it that with 'plain' names like Toronto FC it leaves alot of room for people to follow the club who would not if the team were named Inter. This also gives the fans an opprotunity to express themselves in different ways without going against a specific mascot.