PDA

View Full Version : LA Galaxy v AC Milan - July 19th Friendly

anto7
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
It was officially announced today that David Beckham will stay with Milan until the end of the Italian season and then return to play for the Galaxy in August.
As part of the deal Milan have agreed to take part in a friendly match in LA on July 19th.

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 04:32 PM
It was officially announced today that David Beckham will stay with Milan until the end of the Italian season and then return to play for the Galaxy in August.
As part of the deal Milan have agreed to take part in a friendly match in LA on July 19th.
This would be the only time I would ever hope LA wins a match (hopefully the last)...
I need to go take a shower now

Flipityflu
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
this is the result i am hoping for...Beckham gets his leg broken in this match and misses 2010.

Pachuco
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM

So who's side will Beckham play on?

anto7
03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Actually he will be eligible to play for Galaxy from July 15th.

anto7
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
So who's side will Beckham play on?
45 mind for each side perhaps ? !!

Pachuco
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM

HAHA, was thinking the same thing. It goes perfect with the time share concept.

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
You have any proof of this?
Its my understanding Becks first game will be the 18th against the Shite Bulls?.....

nevermind ... confirmed
http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090308&content_id=222570&vkey=news_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

DRock
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
If he plays the 45 minutes per side I will be extremely insulted for Pele's sake. He can't compare himself to Pele.

Bah, im sorry, i'm bitter!

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
If he plays the 45 minutes per side I will be extremely insulted for Pele's sake. He can't compare himself to Pele.

Bah, im sorry, i'm bitter!

You can definately compare the two. Becky is as overated as pele was talented!

NF-FC
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
This is Pathetic. Are LA fans supposed to be happy about this?

Chevy
03-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Yes, with Arenas and Ancelotti mud-wrestling at half.

Jack
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow...brutal

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, with Arenas and Ancelotti mud-wrestling at half.
Ancelotti will be gone by the time of the friendly... they are going to use mudwrestling Arena as an initiation for whoever replaces him!

Flipityflu
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
i wonder if a large portion of the LA crowds will boo the shit out of him.

i pray that a large portion of the LA crowds boo the shit out of him.

Suljazz
03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
would he be able to make it though the entire 90 (playing a half for each side) without his head balooning to the size of the home depot center?

Canadian Blue
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
this is the result i am hoping for...Beckham gets his leg broken in this match and misses 2010.

That is an absolute retarded statement.....like him or not Beckham has a goal in mind and that is to make the 2010 England NT, and for that he can not be faulted. He is doing all the right things and he has honoured his contract with the MLS and only leaving at a time that was already pre-determined in he original contract. Honestly can you really blame someone for choosing AC Milan over the LA Galaxy?

TorCanSoc
03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
He's paying out of his own pocket NOT to return to L.A. something just shmecks about that situation.

I love Becks, he's a class guy, quality player, a marketers dream (of course), but this one man.... this one is just too much, even for a fan of Beckham. To give lip service to the people that pay your salary about going for just a "loan", getting there then demanding to stay. Doesn't go your way, so you decide to pay, not to play there. Krykie what a slap to American soccer. Sure he wants to play for the England MNT, but its still serious disrespect to a lot of people that made all this possible.

Flipityflu
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
That is an absolute retarded statement.....like him or not Beckham has a goal in mind and that is to make the 2010 England NT, and for that he can not be faulted. He is doing all the right things and he has honoured his contract with the MLS and only leaving at a time that was already pre-determined in he original contract. Honestly can you really blame someone for choosing AC Milan over the LA Galaxy?

i couldn't give a fuck if you think its retarded or not quite frankly. you sign a contract, you honour it. you don't get your flunkies and media to fight your way out of it. if he wanted to play for England, he should have thought of that before he signed his contract. its a douchebag move, and i have no respect for him whatsover.

ensco
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Galaxy got hosed here. Let this be a lesson to all.

Don't make "gentlemen's agreements" with the big clubs.

Beach_Red
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Galaxy got hosed here. Let this be a lesson to all.

Don't make "gentlemen's agreements" with the big clubs.

True enough.

The other lesson here should be that a higher salary cap is a better idea than a DP. Having one player singled out as different from all the others is an idea doomed to fail.

Let's face it, if Beckham had been truly washed-up and unable to play in a "top" league, none of this would ever have become an issue.

So, do MLS teams make sure they only sign washed-up DPs?

Shakes McQueen
03-08-2009, 08:44 PM

No, honouring his contract would be coming back to play for the Galaxy at the end of the original loan deal, which is two days from now.

Beckham and Milan have both brow beaten and bullied the Galaxy into specifically allowing Beckham to violate the terms of his current contract.

The one great thing about North American sports, is that contracts actually mean something, and the players have the class to play them out without complaint (occasional exceptions notwithstanding).

So Beckham's goals have changed? How is that LA's problem? He signed a contract.

Imagine if you signed a contract with a roofer, and he decided half way through that his heart wasn't in it anymore, and decided he wanted to leave.

You'd have his ass in court in 5 minutes, forcing him to finish the job. You woudn't coddle him, the way professional football players get coddled.

- Scott

nascarguy
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
i couldn't give a fuck if you think its retarded or not quite frankly. you sign a contract, you honour it. you don't get your flunkies and media to fight your way out of it. if he wanted to play for England, he should have thought of that before he signed his contract. its a douchebag move, and i have no respect for him whatsover.
yep he is the world bigest bouchbag i'll be going for the team that he is not on i hope that the sec that he is in la that they sell his rights to inter milan just to piss off ac milan

Nestease
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
im surprised no one mentioned that MLS is shaking up the schedule so LA doesn't have to play two games 2 days apart. I find this ironic after the whole international duty debacle last season.

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
yep he is the world bigest bouchbag i'll be going for the team that he is not on i hope that the sec that he is in la that they sell his rights to inter milan just to piss off ac milan
FORGET THAT!!!! He does not belong on my beloved Inter... besides he looks so happy there at AC... theres even a pick of him and Inzaghi holding hands on goal.com

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1378
See ...

Toronto_Bhoy
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
No, honouring his contract would be coming back to play for the Galaxy at the end of the original loan deal, which is two days from now.

Beckham and Milan have both brow beaten and bullied the Galaxy into specifically allowing Beckham to violate the terms of his current contract.

The one great thing about North American sports, is that contracts actually mean something, and the players have the class to play them out without complaint (occasional exceptions notwithstanding).

In the World of Football the "breaking" of contracts happens all the time. Sometimes its players asking to be put on the transfer list. Sometimes it teams unloading salary or needing transfer cash...it happens ALL THE TIME!!!

It's a business reality of the global game...whether you think its right or wrong its how its done.

Shakes McQueen
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
In the World of Football the "breaking" of contracts happens all the time. Sometimes its players asking to be put on the transfer list. Sometimes it teams unloading salary or needing transfer cash...it happens ALL THE TIME!!!

It's a business reality of the global game...whether you think its right or wrong its how its done.

I'm aware it happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right. Football players have a disproportionate amount of power in Europe, when it comes to their contracts.

Saying "that's the way it is, because it is", isn't constructive. Accepting these kinds of farcical situations as quirks of the game, is precisely why meaningful, necessary change is so slow to come to the business side of the game, if at all.

If a player signs a contract, he should be expected to honour that contract. That is the point of a legal contract.

Look at the situation with Ronaldo this summer. Signed to a long-term deal with Man U, yet he's in the media every day, talking about wanting to go to Real Madrid? What a joke. If you have sights on going to Madrid, don't sign a multi-year deal with Manchester United. And if you do, your contractual obligations don't become null and void, just because suddenly your'e a star.

Requesting a transfer is fine - players in other leagues do it, and it isn't a violation of anything, to simply ask to be traded/transferred. But all of this talk about football players, and how their "heart isn't in it" anymore? Give me a break. How unprofessional is it, to have to worry that a player isn't going to do his job to the best of his abilities, just because he wants to play somewhere else?

I consider the NHL to be the gold standard of the way the employer-player relationship should work. Ilya Kovalchuk and Jay Bouwmeester are two great examples. Both are reportedly unhappy with their current teams. So what do they do? They decline to sign contract extensions with those teams, and play their heart's out every night in the meantime.

They don't go to the media, opining about specific teams they want to be sold to. There is no concern about whether they will even play hard every night. They are consummate professionals.

If Beckham comes back to the Galaxy, and plays like his heart isn't in it, I hope the Galaxy supporters boo him off the pitch every single night, and I hope they pelt him with paper plates and styrofoam cups as he walks off.

- Scott

drewski
03-09-2009, 06:16 AM

not cool man.

Wishing an injury on somebody is very unsportsmanlike.

tfcleeds
03-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I think this "friendly" is a slap in the face to LA Galaxy fans - at least the few true Galaxy fans that existed prior to Goldenballs' arrival. By rights, he should get a negative reception from the LA faithful. I wouldn't even bother showing up if I were in their shoes.

I am so sick of the drama involving this most overrated player.

Lucky Strike
03-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm aware it happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right. Football players have a disproportionate amount of power in Europe, when it comes to their contracts.

Saying "that's the way it is, because it is", isn't constructive. Accepting these kinds of farcical situations as quirks of the game, is precisely why meaningful, necessary change is so slow to come to the business side of the game, if at all.

If a player signs a contract, he should be expected to honour that contract. That is the point of a legal contract.

Look at the situation with Ronaldo this summer. Signed to a long-term deal with Man U, yet he's in the media every day, talking about wanting to go to Real Madrid? What a joke. If you have sights on going to Madrid, don't sign a multi-year deal with Manchester United. And if you do, your contractual obligations don't become null and void, just because suddenly your'e a star.

Requesting a transfer is fine - players in other leagues do it, and it isn't a violation of anything, to simply ask to be traded/transferred. But all of this talk about football players, and how their "heart isn't in it" anymore? Give me a break. How unprofessional is it, to have to worry that a player isn't going to do his job to the best of his abilities, just because he wants to play somewhere else?

I consider the NHL to be the gold standard of the way the employer-player relationship should work. Ilya Kovalchuk and Jay Bouwmeester are two great examples. Both are reportedly unhappy with their current teams. So what do they do? They decline to sign contract extensions with those teams, and play their heart's out every night in the meantime.

They don't go to the media, opining about specific teams they want to be sold to. There is no concern about whether they will even play hard every night. They are consummate professionals.

If Beckham comes back to the Galaxy, and plays like his heart isn't in it, I hope the Galaxy supporters boo him off the pitch every single night, and I hope they pelt him with paper plates and styrofoam cups as he walks off.

- Scott

So true, well said.

Oldtimer
03-09-2009, 08:00 AM
The friendly, like beckham's original signing is all about money.

It's an easy way for a not-so-rich Milan to pay off LA.

Lucky Strike
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
This is Pathetic. Are LA fans supposed to be happy about this?

They're not, at least according to some article I've read that delved into the forums of LA fans. I'd be pretty pissed too to be honest.

Roogsy
03-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Congratulations LA...you are now Milan's bitch.

Toronto_Bhoy
03-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Most "legal" contracts have loop holes that allow parties contractual flexibility. The claim that the players have disproportionate amount of power is nonsense.

Sure you can site Ronaldo and other big name players but hundreds of players (many of whom you’ve never heard of) get moved, transferred and frozen out all the time. Alan Hutton never wanted to leave Rangers but was forced to because Rangers need the cash. He was bitterly disappointed, along with many supporters but it was business. Bobo Balde has been frozen out by Celtic, he wouldn’t accept a transfer so he is a full time reserve player. We desperately need a CB but Celtic management have said, "Fuck 'im".

We’ve already seen it work here in our short history! TFC see an opportunity to make $5 million from Edu, they sell him…“mid contract” to Rangers…didn’t hear a lot of complaining…especially when Mo turns and says its for a grass field (liar!). If Del Piero was frozen out of the Inter line up and ask to finish his career in Toronto what would you want TFC management to say…”in North America we don’t play the transfer game?”

“Disproportionate of power” only applies to those who have the hammer and that’s usually the clubs.

I understand what your saying but to say it’s not constructive just doesn’t fly because this is the way the “world of football” operates. If North Americans don’t like the system, fair enough, go it alone. But if you want to be competitive and access the globe’s wealth of football talent you need to play the game…

If you want to piss with the big dogs…

McBrace
03-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe the winner of the friendly keeps Beckaham....LOL...

James17930
03-09-2009, 10:35 AM
"I'm really grateful to the LA Galaxy and AC Milan for making this dream deal happen," he was quoted as saying. "It allows me to play for AC Milan and the LA Galaxy in the same year, and also to continue my commitment to develop soccer in the United States, which is something I am passionate about."

Has he lost his mind? How can you do that from Italy?

The Galaxy fans are definitely going to take it to him this year. This is going to be a major farce.

MartinUtd
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
All this just so he can see Theo Walcott from the front row

Bobo
03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
The other LA players are going to feel pretty dumb in this match, playing with Becks when he's fresh off the Milan boat and obviously wishing he was still there. I hope Milan smash LA just to compound troubles. The club deserves to get whipped after such a bad choice for international friendly.

djking2
03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
All this just so he can see Theo Walcott from the front row

nice

Chevy
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
The other LA players are going to feel pretty dumb in this match, playing with Becks when he's fresh off the Milan boat and obviously wishing he was still there. I hope Milan smash LA just to compound troubles. The club deserves to get whipped after such a bad choice for international friendly.

As much as I hate the Galaxy and like Milan, I hope LA drills them. Wishful thinking I know, but it would look good on Beckham.

TicTacTabarnack
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
You have any proof of this?
Its my understanding Becks first game will be the 18th against the Shite Bulls?.....

nevermind ... confirmed
http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090308&content_id=222570&vkey=news_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

In that case ... It's a good thing we won't be exposed to the paparazzi again!
06/06 - SaturdayLos Angeles Galaxy3:30 p.m. http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/) DK
MLS All-Star game gaukers ... "Hey becks ... look over here ... smile for the camera." I'm happy to know that's out of the question this year! He's got one hell of a record for appearing in Toronto. 1 for 4 now? 1 being the All-Star Game only.

Shakes McQueen
03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
We’ve already seen it work here in our short history! TFC see an opportunity to make $5 million from Edu, they sell him…“mid contract” to Rangers…didn’t hear a lot of complaining…especially when Mo turns and says its for a grass field (liar!). If Del Piero was frozen out of the Inter line up and ask to finish his career in Toronto what would you want TFC management to say…”in North America we don’t play the transfer game?”

Carver said the club asked Edu what he wanted to do, and he said he wanted to go to Rangers. Of course there was no complaining - the contract was dissolved with mutual consent.

As far as cases of selling players - yes, clubs can sell players, but those players are still getting paid according to the terms of their contract - it's just a matter of who is paying it. Completely different issue.

It's the same as the NHL - a player can get traded to a team, against his wishes, but he is still getting PAID ACCORDING TO THE TERMS OF HIS CONTRACT. Same with if he gets waived.

The contract is still being honoured - it's just a matter of transferring that contract onto another person's payroll.

Now, if it suddenly became common that teams decided not to pay their players, according to their contracts, your point would be valid.

- Scott

Toronto_Bhoy
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Good luck finding an NHL player who can play in our defense Shakes!

s2cazz
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
If Del Piero was frozen out of the Inter line up and ask to finish his career in Toronto what would you want TFC management to say…”in North America we don’t play the transfer game?”
I get what your trying to say and you have a valid point HOWEVER Del Piero plays for the old lady Juventus...not Inter

Not trying to be a dink... however I don't want anyone to get confused here about the Nerazzurri!:D

Bottom line becky slapped our league in the face... pissed on the Galaxy... and is just not deserving of any respect from anyone in this league....

Shakes McQueen
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Good luck finding an NHL player who can play in our defense Shakes!

Again - you're assuming the status quo is what it is, and that it can't be any better, because it is what it is - and that's the way it's done. It's a circular argument.

Business in the NHL wasn't always like this. Massive changes like the salary cap in that league, aren't old implementations at all.

Changing the business culture of football, in which good players are enabled to behave like petulant children, and contracts might as well be written on an Etch-a-Sketch, should be done. My point was never that it will be done, but that has no bearing on whether it's right or not.

- Scott

giambac
03-10-2009, 01:06 PM

WOW,

and we will get a team from scotland I bet, or perhaps a lower english side to play TFC.:(

ExiledRed
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
WOW,

and we will get a team from scotland I bet, or perhaps a lower english side to play TFC.:(

Sucks to be you, if you give a shit who we play in the friendly.

AC Milan would murder us and leave us in poor shape for the rest of the season, is that what you want?

trane
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
^ The whole idea of mid-seaon friendly games, is anoying to me.

giambac
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Sucks to be you, if you give a shit who we play in the friendly.

AC Milan would murder us and leave us in poor shape for the rest of the season, is that what you want?

Sure I care,

it's included in our season pack wo why wouldn't I care.

With all the GREAT CONTACTS MO and CARVER have in this world of soccer who dom you think we will be playing??????

BORING! Snoozefest game against a boring opponent.
It should be good for an afternoon nap.

Sab0tage
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Sure I care,

it's included in our season pack wo why wouldn't I care.

With all the GREAT CONTACTS MO and CARVER have in this world of soccer who dom you think we will be playing??????

BORING! Snoozefest game against a boring opponent.
It should be good for an afternoon nap. I remember seeing you complaining and trying to sell your tickets to both friendlies last year in a number of different seats in BMO. Clearly you have a problem with whatever friendly the FO secures.

James Oliphant
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Two things...

1) I thought we weren't quoting GIambac any more for the sake of those of us smart enough to block his ridiculous posts...

2) A lot of you are blaming Beckham for a "change of priorities" or some such nonsense. That's not the case at all. He's always wanted to play for the England NT. Moving to LA was not going to harm his chances of doing so, as far as then-manager Steve McLaren was concerned.

But we all know what happened to McLaren, don't we?

Then in comes Fabio Capello, who basically says to Beckham (despite calling him up several times during early qualifiers) "you won't get in the squad if you're not in Europe".

Rock, meet hard place. Hard place, this is rock.

I'm not one to defend Beckham, but you have to feel at least a bit sorry for the guy. He was assured that playing in MLS wouldn't diminish his chances of contnuing his international career...that played a big part in his decision to join the Galaxy. Capello kinda fucked him over.

giambac
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I remember seeing you complaining and trying to sell your tickets to both friendlies last year in a number of different seats in BMO. Clearly you have a problem with whatever friendly the FO secures.

that's right,

because we brought in boring opponents.
lets see La Liga teams
Serie A teams
or a Bayern Munich type team.

Other teams in the MLS (LA, New York etc) bring in top notch opponents why not TFC???

Toronto_Bhoy
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Again - you're assuming the status quo is what it is, and that it can't be any better, because it is what it is - and that's the way it's done. It's a circular argument.

Business in the NHL wasn't always like this. Massive changes like the salary cap in that league, aren't old implementations at all.

Changing the business culture of football, in which good players are enabled to behave like petulant children, and contracts might as well be written on an Etch-a-Sketch, should be done. My point was never that it will be done, but that has no bearing on whether it's right or not.

- Scott

Unless you know something the football world doesn't…the status quo IS the way it is!!!

What you said was the the players/petulant children have all the control.

Football players have a disproportionate amount of power in Europe, when it comes to their contracts.

Only "top flight players" have power…for every Ronaldo I can match you with an Alan Hutton. And just like select players, the big clubs of Europe control who goes where. What about the clubs, what gives them the right to "transfer" a player against his will? It goes both ways.

In any profession, whether you like their business models or not, you have to deal with the cards that are dealt.

Farcical situations happen in all sports…the NHL is no exception. Buying draft picks, missing half a season before deciding who to sign with and then jumping in, no trade clauses and refusing to be traded.

Finally, when players and teams construct contracts they fill them with loop holes or flexibility. It was well documented Beckham had numerous "outs" in his deal.

Change will come to football's business model and already has, thanks to Jean-Marc Bosman and the European Court of Justice. More is on its way but currently things are what they are…I don't like it either but I move on…

As I'm going to now…out.

Toronto_Bhoy
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Two things...

1) I thought we weren't quoting GIambac any more for the sake of those of us smart enough to block his ridiculous posts...

2) A lot of you are blaming Beckham for a "change of priorities" or some such nonsense. That's not the case at all. He's always wanted to play for the England NT. Moving to LA was not going to harm his chances of doing so, as far as then-manager Steve McLaren was concerned.

But we all know what happened to McLaren, don't we?

Then in comes Fabio Capello, who basically says to Beckham (despite calling him up several times during early qualifiers) "you won't get in the squad if you're not in Europe".

Rock, meet hard place. Hard place, this is rock.

I'm not one to defend Beckham, but you have to feel at least a bit sorry for the guy. He was assured that playing in MLS wouldn't diminish his chances of contnuing his international career...that played a big part in his decision to join the Galaxy. Capello kinda fucked him over.

Good post JO.

But I don't blame Capello. At the end of the day Golden Balls made the decision…listening to McLaren was the mistake.

I'm not a Beckham fan but I really do admire his passion and commitment to the game…even if he is a tool.

lips
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
This is to funny :)