PDA

View Full Version : TFC - change of play?

Nuvinho
03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I know its only one pre-season game that we watched, but I am sure we all noticed, the difference in passing compared to last year. There were a lot of one-touch passing, and multiple passes before having a goal at the net. In the past, it would be 3 to 4 passes, and an attempt on goal. Yesterday, was very different, especially in the middle of the park, where everyone seemed to be doing the give-and-go passing, and at least 7 to 10 passes before going for goal.

I guess with the type of players we have now (DeRo, Vitti, and Guevara), we can look forward to more of that type of play.

CretanBull
03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I missed the game yesterday, but...I think we can expect a huge improvement to our style of play because we've added a shit load of talent and have the benefit of having our team together for a full training camp.

LucaGol
03-08-2009, 09:19 AM
So far, it seems that the additions of Dwayne de Rosario and Sam Cronin have added a lot diversity to the attack.

More than anything, there seemed to be more of a commitment to off the ball running then in games I watched last season.

You'd be amazed how much better passing gets when the other 9 outfielders are running around making space for themselves allowing the ball carrier many options.

Eastend
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I know its only one pre-season game that we watched, but I am sure we all noticed, the difference in passing compared to last year. There were a lot of one-touch passing, and multiple passes before having a goal at the net. In the past, it would be 3 to 4 passes, and an attempt on goal. Yesterday, was very different, especially in the middle of the park, where everyone seemed to be doing the give-and-go passing, and at least 7 to 10 passes before going for goal.

I guess with the type of players we have now (DeRo, Vitti, and Guevara), we can look forward to more of that type of play.

I noticed this also. It was a more calculated attack, pass pass pass pass (x2), wait for the right moment, then attack. It appears that we're in for some exciting play this season.

tfc007
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I noticed a big difference,the movement of the ball was fantastic,I could say more but I would be here all day writing. Bottom line it looks good guys.I cant wait for first kick.

rocker
03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
the passing last night was light years ahead of the 2007 team, and better than last year's team.... one of the things that's always bugged me about MLS was the lack of quick passing on many teams. Guys take the ball, look around, think about what to do, decide on what to do, THEN pass.
I know Robbo made some passing mistakes last year (my dad always got in my ear about that at games) but a lot of times he was trying to get things going fast. He would receive, and then get rid of it, but often his teammates weren't running into space so it would be wasted. Last night i thought robbo was more effective cuz guys were anticipating his usual quick passes. He and Cronin had a nice give and go in one instance.. Cronin seems to have good passing ability and vision... there was one quick pass he made diagonally forward in tight space on to, I believe, Barrett's foot, that evaded a defender and was perfectly timed and weighted.

The comment about off the ball running above is bang on too. We saw a lot of that last night.

James17930
03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
But there was still also a lot of just hoofing the ball to nowhere. Hopefully that was just pre-season jitters.

The Pope
03-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Does Sutton start next game or stay with Frei?

If we stay with Frei what does say about Sutts?

sardinho
03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
couldn't watch the game yesterday; was frei busy? did he do enough to give us an impression of whether he's serious consideration for the starting job?

rocker
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Frei had almost nothing to do. Charleston really had no offense to speak of, in terms of getting real chances on goal.
He seemed pretty good at distribution (not as good as Edwards, but better than Sutton) and looks confident out there.
The only one time I got a little worried was during a corner kick... he didn't exactly come across the goal area very confidently (needed to be more confident and boss his way around in there) and was lucky Charleston muffed it.

Steve
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
The thing that really impressed me was the passing spell RIGHT at the start of the game (which didn't directly lead to us scoring, since it was a defensive mistake, but was right before that). I don't know how many quick, 1-2 touch passes we made in a row, but I remember thinking "wait, who the hell is playing? This isn't Toronto, someone hoof it up to touch already!". I agree though that later in the game we seemed to resort to hoofing it when we shouldn't have. We really weren't winning many 50-50s in the air, so it would have been much smarter to keep it on the ground as much as possible (with Guevera and DeRo to play off of).

Oh, and Frei: He didn't do anything stupid, but wasn't tested much at all as far as I saw. His distribution was pretty good, seemed to have no trouble yelling at his defence (very positive) but I didn't see him physically commanding his box like Sutton does. Weirdly enough, I would have liked to see his shot stopping tested a little more (now, not once the season starts).

Nuvinho
03-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Has Frei let in a goal yet from open play???

Steve
03-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Has Frei let in a goal yet from open play???

Not while playing for TFC, no

loconet
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Definitely noticed it as well. I loved how the ball really didn't mindlessly go flying up the field hoping someone would get hit. There was actual plan, patience and intelligence to the attack. Short passes, on the ground, good movement. I liked it.

vince93
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
i like the way they were pressuring the ball all over the field defensively.

Ontario Arab
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
We need to STOP pussying around with the ball and get it in the box....passing game is the way to go but 25 passes around midfield makes players tired.........quality passing to get the ball into the box is whats required .......hope we play a direct attacking system this year....instead of ..."hey look at us we are technically better than you" bullshit.....ball into box equals ball in back of net equals we go to playoffs...that simple.

colman1860
03-08-2009, 01:55 PM
We need to STOP pussying around with the ball and get it in the box....passing game is the way to go but 25 passes around midfield makes players tired.........quality passing to get the ball into the box is whats required .......hope we play a direct attacking system this year....instead of ..."hey look at us we are technically better than you" bullshit.....ball into box equals ball in back of net equals we go to playoffs...that simple.

Nonsense...25 passes around midfield makes the other team tired. Do you have any basis whatsoever for the bullshit you just spewed?

Detroit_TFC
03-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't make any assumptions about playing style. Carver may have been testing components of our game, these games are still dress rehearsals. We'll have to see what happens in the next game.

LucaGol
03-08-2009, 02:12 PM

News flash ... the team that recently won Euro 2008 plays the system you are describing.

Another small national team play that way ... what's their name anyways? They have white and light blue uniforms ;)

Ya, we shouldn't want to play like that.

Pachuco
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
The passing was really good at times. Other times, Brennan was giving the ball back to Charleston when he wasn't even under pressure.

In the end, for being 1 man down, I think we played well.

Pachuco
03-08-2009, 03:45 PM

WOW.

First off, 25 passes in the midfield makes the other teams's players tired, not our own. Not sure if you've ever played soccer, but chacing the ball is a bitch, much more tiring then passing the ball and moving into open space.

This crazy game you speak of (long balls into the box), only works when we have Dichio in there. Barrett and Vitti are not tall, so unless Vitti is unbeleaviable in the air, I think the ball should be on the ground and at their feet.

TFC RealDeal RPB
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
This crazy game you speak of (long balls into the box), only works when we have Dichio in there. Barrett and Vitti are not tall, so unless Vitti is unbeleaviable in the air, I think the ball should be on the ground and at their feet.

I agree with that but i think if u do both the other team's will find it hard to play us.

TFC FORZA RPB
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't think their was that much of a difference in play from last season, I believe last season Carver was only able to get the basics down, as they were able to score and ATTACK.

This year though we have a stronger Attacking game, but also when we don't have the ball the players seem to be getting in the right positions to get it. But at the same time that was the first I have seen from TFC this season.

loconet
03-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Another small national team play that way ... what's their name anyways? They have white and light blue uniforms ;)

Ya, we shouldn't want to play like that.

Let's illustrate!

/v/z0O7KkZn4rk