PDA

View Full Version : Its Called Football (Mar 7th) - Ottawa's MLS Bid

It's Called Football
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Ottawa's MLS bid COO Cyril Leeder joins Its Called Football to talk about their stadium plans, some of the hurdles they still face and where they see their bid in comparison to Vancouver's. He gives a very blunt assessment of their intentions - no stadium, no team.

Also talked about on the show: the Montreal Impact's woeful collapse, the slow 'demise' of the MLS, whether the Portland bid is in trouble and who might be gone before the start of the TFC season.

Watch it all here (http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/192856)
Audio only download here (http://thatradio.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1765)

Cheers
Ben

TFC 420
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the link Ben.

I look forward to a new show each week.

James17930
03-07-2009, 10:29 PM
It is weird -- Philly had the SoBs for years, even without a team, but we haven't heard anything from any actual fans in Ottawa . . . there seems to be no one there who's really thirsting for a club.

SweetOwnGoal
03-07-2009, 11:11 PM
It is weird -- Philly had the SoBs for years, even without a team, but we haven't heard anything from any actual fans in Ottawa . . . there seems to be no one there who's really thirsting for a club.

Philly is kind of an odd example. There aren't a lot of cities without a team that would have a SOBs (and Philly isn't ripping it up in the ticket sales either FWIW).

Also, FWIW, I will be joining the show full-time starting next Sat. PM me if you have anything you'd like to see addressed in the next little bit. We're meeting this week to brainstorm the next few shows.
Duane

egoodwin
03-08-2009, 12:50 AM
well did RPB exist prior to MLS announcing TFC?

Roogsy
03-08-2009, 12:57 AM
No but Usector did. And the slew of soccer pubs strewn across this city, the fever that hits this town around the Euro and the World Cup and soccer leagues around this city. Does Ottawa have ANY inclination whatsoever? I really don't know so it's an honest question.

ExiledRed
03-08-2009, 12:57 AM
well did RPB exist prior to MLS announcing TFC?

Well, there was BBTB on bigsoccer, accurately predicting the viability of a soccer market and location of the stadium to much scorn and mockery, and good discussion on the bigsoccer boards.

and U-sector existed before TFC also.

SweetOwnGoal
03-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Well, there was BBTB on bigsoccer, accurately predicting the viability of a soccer market and location of the stadium to much scorn and mockery, and good discussion on the bigsoccer boards.

and U-sector existed before TFC also.

U-Sector was a Lynx group (and to a lesser extent a spinoff of Toronto area Voyageurs). The difference with Philly is that they don't have a team at any level.

Ottawa would find its fans. Ottawa area Vs would probably form the core of a SG.

James17930
03-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Okay, true enough about Philly being an exception and TFC's groups not really taking off until after the team was announced, but . . . I still wonder why we haven't really heard anything out of Ottawa (or need I wonder?).

Also, I liked Rycroft's comment about Vancouver's people are all 'soccer people.' How true. The Ottawa guy didn't know the score from the Montreal game on Wed. I would hazard the Vancouver people were all watching it live.

There's your difference right now.

nascarguy
03-08-2009, 07:17 AM
the all-star game is going to be shit again.

djking2
03-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Okay, true enough about Philly being an exception and TFC's groups not really taking off until after the team was announced

the fans in St. Louis may not share a group name but it's definitely a grass roots type initiative rather than a corporate bid.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Okay, true enough about Philly being an exception and TFC's groups not really taking off until after the team was announced, but . . . I still wonder why we haven't really heard anything out of Ottawa (or need I wonder?).

Also, I liked Rycroft's comment about Vancouver's people are all 'soccer people.' How true. The Ottawa guy didn't know the score from the Montreal game on Wed. I would hazard the Vancouver people were all watching it live.

Vancouver people are into Lacrosse as well that didnt help the NLL ravens
from dying? Ottawa will be fine if they have a good owner running it,
which they have, ok it might be 2013 for them now...but with the economy that way it is i would be surprised in no MLS expansion takes place in 2011...and that might not be a bad thing..keep the league stable
until 2013 then add clubs.

Brooker
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Ottawa's MLS bid COO Cyril Leeder joins Its Called Football to talk about their stadium plans, some of the hurdles they still face and where they see their bid in comparison to Vancouver's. He gives a very blunt assessment of their intentions - no stadium, no team.

Also talked about on the show: the Montreal Impact's woeful collapse, the slow 'demise' of the MLS, whether the Portland bid is in trouble and who might be gone before the start of the TFC season.

Watch it all here (http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/192856)
Audio only download here (http://thatradio.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1765)

Cheers
Ben

great show. i've recently really taken a liking to it.

it's funny, too. "Ben Knight, ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week."

lol

Ottawa MLS Fan
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Give me a break people. First, why would you hear from Ottawa fans on a TFC forum???

Second, I'm sure Vancouver's people are not ALL soccer people. The interview in question was with Cyril Leeder, the business guy, one of the team that brought the Ottawa Senators back. Eugene Melnyk is the passion and the money. His pedigree is soccer through and through. His grandfather was president of the National Soccer League, and he introduced Melnyk’s father to his mother at a Toronto Ukrainians game. Melnyk spent many childhood hours alongside his grandfather in Toronto's Stanley Park, watching the Ukrainians.

Incidentally, good game at Scotiabank Place tonight!

Super Cereal
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM

No arguement there! :)

Mark in Ottawa
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Give me a break people. First, why would you hear from Ottawa fans on a TFC forum???

Second, I'm sure Vancouver's people are not ALL soccer people. The interview in question was with Cyril Leeder, the business guy, one of the team that brought the Ottawa Senators back. Eugene Melnyk is the passion and the money. His pedigree is soccer through and through. His grandfather was president of the National Soccer League, and he introduced Melnyk’s father to his mother at a Toronto Ukrainians game. Melnyk spent many childhood hours alongside his grandfather in Toronto's Stanley Park, watching the Ukrainians.

You hear from Ottawa fans on a TFC forum because we have no professional soccer in Ottawa and no local forum of substance to discuss soccer. This is where many TFC/MLS fans meet.

Yes Melnyk has a soccer background and is a fan. He is also a successful business man who will not make the same mistake that the original Ottawa Senators group did. He will not try to move forward without solid committment from the city of Ottawa and with all of the details worked out in advance. He will not go forward without public money and there is no way of knowing if he will ever get the committments he needs.

Game at Scotiabank?... o hockey... right. Who cares.
Unfortunately the city doesn't look good in the press when the local team falters and then a game which is supposed to be a fierce rivalry doesn't sell out (2,000 tickets available as of yesterday morning by media reports in the city). As always Ottawa is notoriously hard on losers.