PDA

View Full Version : Ray Hudson doing TFC Commentary?!

Shakes McQueen
03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Man, I was just sitting here, thinking about the hints that TFC games are going to be broadcast live on GolTV this season, and suddenly it hit me - RAY HUDSON DOING TFC COMMENTARY?!?!

This could be the best thing to happen to my life, since rye bread.

Just imagine it, when Vitti nets his first goal for the Reds:

"BRILLIANT! The little Argentine slices the Seattle backline, like a butcher knife through Jell-O! The Seattle defenders give him some help, to be sure, but this kid doesn't need help! He needs help, like a fish needs a bicycle!"

This season must start immediately.

- Scott

Jack
03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I always watch GolTV with the Spanish commentary because Hudson drives me nuts.

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Hudson is definately one of those guys you either love or hate. I am somewhere in the middle with him. Sometimes he drives me nuts, sometimes I find him ammusing.

manic.street.preacher
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
bah hudson ... andrew bell needs to be calling games for us, like now :D

rocker
03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
i like his passion.. and the fact he's different. To be honest, there are very few real characters in sports broadcasting these days. Sportsnet and TSN have some of the most generic, "professional" announcers on TV. I like Hudson for a change of pace.

Shakes McQueen
03-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Hudson is definately one of those guys you either love or hate. I am somewhere in the middle with him. Sometimes he drives me nuts, sometimes I find him ammusing.

So, you said you either like or hate the guy, then proceeded to say you're somewhere in the middle with him, haha! :D

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I always watch GolTV with the Spanish commentary because Hudson drives me nuts.

I listen to him during Barcelona matches, specifically because he loves Lionel Messi, and raves about him every chance he gets.

As a fellow Barca supporter, I thought'd you'd like the guy, haha.

- Scott

Stryker
03-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Swivel hips... like a turkish stripper

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
So, you said you either like or hate the guy, then proceeded to say you're somewhere in the middle with him, haha! :D

- Scott

Yes, I realize I said that :D. Because it depends what mood I'm in. Somedays I feel like listening to his commentary, other's I don't.

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Man, I was just sitting here, thinking about the hints that TFC games are going to be broadcast live on GolTV this season, and suddenly it hit me - RAY HUDSON DOING TFC COMMENTARY?!?!

This could be the best thing to happen to my life, since rye bread.

Just imagine it, when Vitti nets his first goal for the Reds:

"BRILLIANT! The little Argentine slices the Seattle backline, like a butcher knife through Jell-O! The Seattle defenders give him some help, to be sure, but this kid doesn't need help! He needs help, like a fish needs a bicycle!"

This season must start immediately.

- Scott

BTW Shakes, that is one hell of an immitation. Did you copy that from somewhere, cause I can picture him saying this perfectly.

Redpunkfiddle
03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh man, if we are winning by 3 goals will he say 'stick a fork in them, they're done'?

OneLoveOneEric
03-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Absolutely the worst commentator in football.
Like he sits with a thesaurus open while he watches the game.

Jack
03-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I listen to him during Barcelona matches, specifically because he loves Lionel Messi, and raves about him every chance he gets.

As a fellow Barca supporter, I thought'd you'd like the guy, haha.

- Scott
Yeah, but you should hear the Spanish language guys. One of them is Argentinean...

The Spanish-language commentary style is much more appealing to me. They seem to put more emotion into the game.

There are some real amazing ones in Mexico

Shakes McQueen
03-07-2009, 09:56 PM
BTW Shakes, that is one hell of an immitation. Did you copy that from somewhere, cause I can picture him saying this perfectly.

No copy and paste from me, haha. What can I say - I've listened to a LOT of Ray Hudson. :D

- Scott

Yohan
03-07-2009, 09:58 PM
i dont care how crappy a spanish commentator is, as long his GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! is perfect :p

JDG
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Absolutely the worst commentator in football.
Like he sits with a thesaurus open while he watches the game.

QFT

Yeah, but you should hear the Spanish language guys. One of them is Argentinean...

The Spanish-language commentary style is much more appealing to me. They seem to put more emotion into the game.

There are some real amazing ones in Mexico

I don't mind spanish style commentary until a goal is scored. The extended Gooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll! that they do drives me absolutely insane. If it is ever used for TFC matches, I'll be forced to watch with no sound.

dantdot
03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Well, it's GolTV Canada, don't think it'll be carried on the main network.

Jack
03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
QFT

I don't mind spanish style commentary until a goal is scored. The extended Gooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll! that they do drives me absolutely insane. If it is ever used for TFC matches, I'll be forced to watch with no sound.
Ah...see, I love that.

You're jumping up and down and screaming that your team just scored and the English commentator's saying "and there it is!" or something silly. I much prefer the primal "Gooooooooooooooooooollll!" :D

Different strokes, I guess.

JDG
03-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Ah...see, I love that.

You're jumping up and down and screaming that your team just scored and the English commentator's saying "and there it is!" or something silly. I much prefer the primal "Gooooooooooooooooooollll!" :D

Different strokes, I guess.

The thing is, if it were primal, it might be different, but they always carry it so long that it always sounds forced.

Shakes McQueen
03-07-2009, 10:19 PM
All of you guys who don't like Hudson, are just grumpy old curmudgeons! :D

He genuinely gets into the games, and while some of his verbosity is over the top, it's still pretty fun to listen to, haha.

- Scott

CretanBull
03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I love Hudson! Beyond knowing his stuff, I think that he's funny as shit.

manic.street.preacher
03-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I love Hudson! Beyond knowing his stuff, I think that he's funny as shit.
^ was never really a fan of shit:D

Jack
03-07-2009, 10:40 PM
The thing is, if it were primal, it might be different, but they always carry it so long that it always sounds forced.

Well see, I don't know which ones you listen to, but they're not all the same.

And it has definitely become something of an art form :D

There's a guy in Mexico who is legendary for his gol scream :p

It's a cultural thing! El grito del gol!

I4oGAhPsyRk

CretanBull
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
^ was never really a fan of shit:D

but its funny shit! :D

CretanBull
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
There's a guy in Mexico who is legendary for his gol scream :p

I think that's the guy who became famous (outside of Mexico) during the 1994 World Cup, right?

PS - At the 1:38 mark of that clip, Boris's long lost Mexican brother makes an appearance in the audience!

PPS - OMG there's a Mexican player with no neck named Blanco!

Jack
03-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Compare these vids. Sorry, but I'll take the scream :D

4EpjJ-XLwt0

HvvAN3hZpQs

And this last one...pretty nice goals from the dirty hunchback.
LhSi3iWFl2o

loconet
03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I too prefer Spanish commentators. GolTV was awesome when Sammy did the spanish comentating. Much more focused on the actual game, high energy, fun commentary. Having said that though, I really hate the Mexican commentators, ridiculously biased and half of the time they get calls wrong.

I used to hate Hudson but then he grew on me. Very colourful voice. I actually miss him when someone else is on.

/v/gS6Np-g_h5w
/v/lgk04dtId7Y

TFC07
03-07-2009, 10:59 PM
QFT

Remember Mitch Peacock who did commentary for one TFC game (it was in the first year of TFC season) saying goal same way like how Mexican commentators do? (I believe it was against FC Dallas) Now that was funny!

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I like Hudson.

But will he really do commentary? There is a difference between GolTV Canada and GolTV US I would assume. GolTV US doesn't carry MLS games.

LucaGol
03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Can we get Carlo Zampa to do the games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7FcGcpH4-I

Inklink
03-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Hold on: is this the guy that has constipation whenever he sees a good play?

If so, I hate him!

noochie
03-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Hudson is MAGIC!

flatpicker
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Compare these vids. Sorry, but I'll take the scream :D

I'd take the second vid any day!

I like the "relaxed" excitement in an announcers voice.

LucaGol
03-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Pretty sure that's John Helm.

I like him a lot too for some reason.

Steve Banyard's good too. ;)

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Come on! You mean you wouldn't love this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS6Np-g_h5w

zeelaw
03-07-2009, 11:39 PM
The football isnt good enough for Hudson

TorCanSoc
03-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Hudson, awesome. I forget the context but he goes something like

He's not the brightest guy...like the daft Carpenter "I've cut it twice, but its still not long enough"

ha ha phkn funny! I think Hudson actually says Irish carpenter, but I thought I'd water it down.

Jack
03-08-2009, 12:06 AM

"Relaxed excitement"?

Sounds like "boring" to me. This isn't fucking golf!

Anyway, that's why I change the commentary to Spanish, and you leave it in English :D

GuelphStorm2007
03-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Can we get Carlo Zampa to do the games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7FcGcpH4-I
I so want Carlo Zampa..:drinking:

GuelphStorm2007
03-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Ray Hudson is not that bad. He has the excitment of Rick Jeannarette (PLAY BY PLAY, For the Buffalo Sabres). With the grammer of the late Danny Gallivan.

JDG
03-08-2009, 12:16 AM
"Relaxed excitement"?

Sounds like "boring" to me. This isn't fucking golf!

Anyway, that's why I change the commentary to Spanish, and you leave it in English :D

That first video of the three you posted epitomizes what I hate the most. He's not celebrating a goal, he's braying like a donkey with his Gooal (full stop) Gooal (full stop) Gooal (full stop) Gooal (full stop) Gooal!
It sounds forced, and it sounds like he's doing it because he's supposed to, not from passion.

Kayed
03-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Spanish or Arabic for me. I just can't stand English commentators.

Roogsy
03-08-2009, 01:28 AM
"Relaxed Excitement"?

Aren't there spas that offer that benefit? :D

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 01:36 AM
"Relaxed Excitement"?

Aren't there spas that offer that benefit? :D
is it something like a happy ending?

MartinUtd
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I like hearing American's imitate the long "Gooooooool" and then butcher it by doing it in three or more breaths.

loconet
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
is it something like a happy ending?

ha! that's precisely what Spanish commentating is like. I don't know how some people don't like it. So much passion.

The tension builds over a long time, fast paced, slow paced plays. A magical story is told of the game; an adventure made out of passes, runs and plays where the ball is the main character. There are also some close calls that has the crowd at the edge of their seats wanting for it to happen. Finally it happens. All the tension comes to an end culminating in an explosive release of joy. Thousands of souls jump up and down screaming, cyring that beautiful word.... GOOOL GOOOOOL GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

rocker
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
there's an American broadcaster for MLS (the DC guy? or is it NE's guy?) who has the most pathetic goal call. It's like a squeaky and weak "it's in the net - goal!" said really fast.

Fushida
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
he beats the FSC guy who goes "yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifz4MVEZqrQ

@ 2:03. LOL.

i just remember one ray hudson line. it was real madrid vs. mallorca or something, can't quite remember. we all know the guy has a hard on for iker casillas, but...

"there's good goalkeeping, then there's CELESTIAL goalkeeping... SAINT.... IKER"

Flipityflu
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
i don't know if i could handle whole matches by him, but some of the sound bites are classic. the tom cruise bit is awesome

H Bomb
03-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't handle the spanish language style of commentary. I've never needed the commentary to add emotion or excitement to a game. If a game is exciting or emotional then the commentator can't change that either way. For me I want a commentator for information.

I also think the Goooooool is boring because everybody does it after every goal, and waste a ton of time where they could be informing us....but as others said, different strokes, we're all looking for different things.

Oldtimer
03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I like Hudson, he's one of a kind.

Actually, I like any decent football commentary.

(1) They have to know the game and be into it.
(2) They should be fast on the mark
(3) Their commentary should enhance the experience, either through the energy (e.g. GGGGOOOOLLLLL!!!) or through knowledgeable comments that point out small details.

What I can't stand are those American baseball announcers who get forced to commentate on MLS games, and sound half asleep while doing so. Horrible, I sometimes turn the sound off.

Actually, I doubt that Hudson will be commenting on any MLS matches. I only hope that MLSE gets someone of quality so that their broadcasts are as good as CBC's or Sportsnet's.

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
ha! that's precisely what Spanish commentating is like. I don't know how some people don't like it. So much passion.

The tension builds over a long time, fast paced, slow paced plays. A magical story is told of the game; an adventure made out of passes, runs and plays where the ball is the main character. There are also some close calls that has the crowd at the edge of their seats wanting for it to happen. Finally it happens. All the tension comes to an end culminating in an explosive release of joy. Thousands of souls jump up and down screaming, cyring that beautiful word.... GOOOL GOOOOOL GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
I actually enjoy the excitement of the spanish commentary but I just can't get into the super long Goooooool thing... If it was a little shorter maybe... but they do call an exiciting match...much more enthusiastic

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I like Hudson, he's one of a kind.

Actually, I like any decent football commentary.

(1) They have to know the game and be into it.
(2) They should be fast on the mark
(3) Their commentary should enhance the experience, either through the energy (e.g. GGGGOOOOLLLLL!!!) or through knowledgeable comments that point out small details.

What I can't stand are those American baseball announcers who get forced to commentate on MLS games, and sound half asleep while doing so. Horrible, I sometimes turn the sound off.

Actually, I doubt that Hudson will be commenting on any MLS matches. I only hope that MLSE gets someone of quality so that their broadcasts are as good as CBC's or Sportsnet's.
Nigel Reed...steal him

mr k
03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
if Ray Hudson does even 1 TFC match, I would need to have a cigarette after it.

stretchthetruth
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
i like Hudson... i like the Spanish guys even though i cant understand them... i like soccer.

Jack
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Perfect description :D

Redpunkfiddle
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Either style done well works for me, but when gringos try and pull of the the Goalazzoo thing I cringe.

The San Jose commentator had the worst affectation of a GOAL!-type call by an American I have heard.

I couldn't find a direct link to an example but if you go to their home game vs Houston at minute 2:20 you can hear this guy make a fool of himself.

http://web.mlsnet.com/schedule/results.jsp?team=t110

LucaGol
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
he beats the FSC guy who goes "yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifz4MVEZqrQ

@ 2:03. LOL.

i just remember one ray hudson line. it was real madrid vs. mallorca or something, can't quite remember. we all know the guy has a hard on for iker casillas, but...

"there's good goalkeeping, then there's CELESTIAL goalkeeping... SAINT.... IKER"

The commentator in the clip is actually not Max Bretos.

As sad as it is to say ... it seems as if someone has copied his signature "yeaaaaah" call. Unfortunately.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
im a fan, i love Hudson, hes got charisma and is hilarious when it comes to color comentating.

DOMIN8R
03-08-2009, 11:51 PM
You all know who it should really be.............

Nascar!

redangeldragnet
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
anyone have a link to Ray Hudson's commentary when Real Madrid last won the league at home? he says something to the effect of "there will be lovemaking on the streets of Madrid tonight!"