PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's still a free agent...

jloome
03-07-2009, 02:17 PM
...but apparently hasn't retired:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_T%C3%A9bily

Unless it's out of date.

Chevy
03-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I haven't heard one word about Tebily since he was released from TFC. Very odd.

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd take him back in a heartbeat

Pigfynn
03-07-2009, 02:24 PM
^^Seconded

TFCREDNWHITE
03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
No Thanks...He never had the passion or desire to wear the TFC Red with pride...

Fuck him........

Yohan
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
No Thanks...He never had the passion or desire to wear the TFC Red with pride...

Fuck him........
Wife > TFC?

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Fuck him........

And you came to this conclusion how?

Oblio2
03-07-2009, 02:53 PM
He didnt like Toronto and neither did his wife

TFCREDNWHITE
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Exactly! Thank you. I'll second that...

dantdot
03-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Didn't his wife supposedly say Toronto was too expensive? Off topic, but I also remember reading Marshall saying he wanted to get out of Canada because he was getting "heavily taxed."

ensco
03-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Show us one reputable link that says that.

Here's the only thing you can say for sure: Carver sat Tebily for weeks because his "you earn your shirt" policy dictated that a USL lifer played ahead of an EPL player still in his prime.

So it's easily to imagine how Tebily became disenchanted, without involving his family.

(An aside: that whole thing with how he allocated playing time was Carver's biggest problem last year - I hope he's learned for this year that this isn't the EPL, and the depth isn't there to run things this way.)

ginkster88
03-07-2009, 03:03 PM
I can't find a link right now, but I KNOW that he went back because his wife didn't like the city and living in Toronto was "too expensive." I remember the speculation on these boards about that; how can living in Toronto be more expensive that living in France? It sounded like a cop out excuse at the time, which is why we all think he had no passion.

Oblio2
03-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Here's the only thing you can say for sure: Carver sat Tebily for weeks because his "you earn your shirt" policy dictated that a USL lifer played ahead of an EPL player still in his prime.

So it's easily to imagine how Tebily became disenchanted, without involving his family.

(An aside: that whole thing with how he allocated playing time was Carver's biggest problem last year - I hope he's learned for this year that this isn't the EPL, and the depth isn't there to run things this way.)

No.
I read it somewhere.
I dont have a link. Im not the only person who read it. It's part of life, not everyone likes T.O

Chevy
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
The reason/excuse that he went back was the wife, but did he just give up football completely?

ginkster88
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
^^^^ See? We all can't be crazy.

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I can't find a link right now, but I KNOW that he went back because his wife didn't like the city and living in Toronto was "too expensive." I remember the speculation on these boards about that; how can living in Toronto be more expensive that living in France? It sounded like a cop out excuse at the time, which is why we all think he had no passion.

Holy crap, somebody's wife thinks it's expensive here? Let's get both of those ungrateful anti-canadians back on a plane to whichever uncanadian hole they came from! We don't need cheapskates like that, especially in Toronto. Heaven forbid they find a job, and work for a canadian employer because people who worry about the price of things have no passion in their work.

Yohan
03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Holy crap, somebody's wife thinks it's expensive here? Let's get both of those ungrateful anti-canadians back on a plane to whichever uncanadian hole they came from! We don't need cheapskates like that, especially in Toronto. Heaven forbid they find a job, and work for a canadian employer because people who worry about the price of things have no passion in their work.
LMAO

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 03:31 PM

I have it on good authority that the family situation was a major reason for his leaving. Lets just leave it at that.

You should appreciate it that there are quite a few TFC supporters that are well connected and that sometimes, others may know more than you. Not every rumour should be believed, and not everyone has "connections" but this one has been well supported.

ginkster88
03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I think you missed my point... we have the same perspective on the issue. When I heard that back in the summer I said "WTF, why would you leave your job and the country because your wife thinks it's too expensive??" Clearly he had no real interest in being here if that's all it took for him to quit.

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 03:34 PM

This is very true. I remember saying we would lose Tebily if Carver kept benching him. He benched him after a reserves game I saw (at BMO) where he was an absolute beast. All because his idiotic policy. Anyhow, I won't make this into a bash Carver thread, but I trully believe that's why he left.

Flipityflu
03-07-2009, 03:35 PM

he should also be banned from ever eating poutine again.

on the bright side, i'm also a free agent, am not retired, and i don't have a wife to tell me were i can play.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
This is very true. I remember saying we would lose Tebily if Carver kept benching him. He benched him after a reserves game I saw (at BMO) where he was an absolute beast. All because his idiotic policy. Anyhow, I won't make this into a bash Carver thread, but I trully believe that's why he left.

Well then consider yourself corrected. That is in fact not the reason. Perhaps your anti-Carver bias is skewing your perspective?

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Well then consider yourself corrected. That is in fact not the reason. Perhaps your anti-Carver bias is skewing your perspective?

Hehe, unless you are Tebily's wife, then you can't correct me. I don't care what he told TFC was his reason for leaving, and don't care about the connections you have. All I am saying is that if he was really happy here with his playing situation then he may have put the family issues aside. In reality, no one will ever know, that's my speculation.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Rationalization in the face of evidence...yes! Let's throw logic aside and stick to our own opinion no matter what! How reasonable... :rolleyes:

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 03:42 PM

What's skewing his perspective, and probably mine and ensco's too, is the fact that Tebily did not play dispassionately, as Robert did, and sat on the bench anyway.

I'm not at all anti-carver, I think he's a diamond. I think that was a mistake though, and no 'good authority' is going to tell me that while he was here he should have benched for Velez.

ensco
03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
I have it on good authority that the family situation was a major reason for his leaving. Lets just leave it at that.

You should appreciate it that there are quite a few TFC supporters that are well connected and that sometimes, others may know more than you. Not every rumour should be believed, and not everyone has "connections" but this one has been well supported.

I don't appreciate that "others may know more than me".

I don't appreciate unattributed comments about anybody's family members.

Even if someone close to the team told you this, unless he/she is willing to be named, it's slander.

People have agendas with this stuff, it's better to reject it all.

I'm curious, Roogsy, how old are you?

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I am not defending or criticizing Carver's choice of defenders. But some here are citing THAT as reason for Tebily's leaving. Could it be a factor? No one can say for sure. If he did start every single game, maybe he would stuck it out longer? But at the end of the day a professional is a professional and he decided to leave before the season ended when we really did need him. I am not dwelling on it, he obviously wasn't as dedicated as we were hoping so I really don't know why anyone should go out of their way to cast blame every which way other than Tebily himself.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't appreciate that "others may know more than me".

I don't appreciate unattributed comments about anybody's family members.

Even if someone close to the team told you this, unless he/she is willing to be named, it's slander.

People have agendas with this stuff, it's better to reject it all.

I'm curious, Roogsy, how old are you?

LOL! Great post...I will just let people evaluate it on it's own.

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I am not defending or criticizing Carver's choice of defenders. But some here are citing THAT as reason for Tebily's leaving. Could it be a factor? No one can say for sure. If he did start every single game, maybe he would stuck it out longer? But at the end of the day a professional is a professional and he decided to leave before the season ended when we really did need him. I am not dwelling on it, he obviously wasn't as dedicated as we were hoping so I really don't know why anyone should go out of their way to cast blame every which way other than Tebily himself.

If you were told that there was a job available in the U.K, and that it would be a great experience and is possibly the experience you need to get an even better job back here in Toronto. So you move there, and you find out your new boss don't rate you highly and he has you cleaning toilets. Would you leave? I know I would.

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
If you were told that there was a job available in the U.K, and that it would be a great experience and is possibly the experience you need to get an even better job back here in Toronto. So you move there, and you find out your new boss don't rate you highly and he has you cleaning toilets. Would you leave? I know I would.

LOL! great post..... I evaluate this post as relevant!

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Sure.

Have any evidence to that effect?

I am not saying it's possible or not possible. I am saying you need something to support your statement other than your own observations. You have several people who have assured us that the reasons that were given were different than what you stated and yet you insist that THIS is the reason he left. Are you a mind-reader? Did you find his diary? Give us something to believe that Tebily was so lacking in professionalism that he left in a huff because he was coming off the bench and was being mistreated and disrespected. (Which is I assume your inference by the "cleaning toilets" remark, I mean you wouldn't exactly equate cleaning toilets to playing less minutes than desired right? That would be silly! Thank goodness you wouldn't do something like that.)

Pachuco
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Sure.

Have any evidence to that effect?

I am not saying it's possible or not possible. I am saying you need something to support your statement other than your own observations. You have several people who have assured us that the reasons that were given were different than what you stated and yet you insist that THIS is the reason he left. Are you a mind-reader? Did you find his diary? Give us something to believe that Tebily was so lacking in professionalism that he left in a huff because he was coming off the bench and was being mistreated and disrespected. (Which is I assume your inference by the "cleaning toilets" remark, I mean you wouldn't exactly equate cleaning toilets to playing less minutes than desired right? That would be silly! Thank goodness you wouldn't do something like that.)

Actually, I do equate playing in the reserves of the MLS (particularly if you've played at a top level your entire career) to cleaning toilets.

Oh, and I'm the one saying it's my speculation. Hence, I have nothing to prove. You're the one that needs to prove something considering you are stating that what you know is factual. In fact you went as far as correcting me with no proof?

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I have nothing to prove. Those that know me know my credibility. Beyond that, you can take my statements however you desire. But what we all know is that we are tired of guys who insist their speculation is more likely than fact without any support whatsoever. This board is full of it.

If you are asking me to divulge sources to appease your curiosity, sorry but satisfying some internet guy isn't exactly worth violating trust and quite frankly, risking my job. Don't care to hear my contributions? I could care less. I do it for the benefit of those who know the quality of the contributions I do have. It's not like I am one of the journos on here that posts news and rumours all the time on a regular basis, I hardly ever have "inside info". I thought you guys might want to be enlightened. I should've known better. You're too stuck in your own desire to be validated in your opinions that being told you may be wrong could not possibly be acceptable...with or without evidence.

ensco
03-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I have nothing to prove. Those that know me know my credibility. Beyond that, you can take my statements however you desire. But what we all know is that we are tired of guys who insist their speculation is more likely than fact without any support whatsoever. This board is full of it.

If you are asking me to divulge sources to appease your curiosity, sorry but satisfying some internet guy isn't exactly worth violating trust and quite frankly, risking my job. Don't care to hear my contributions? I could care less. I do it for the benefit of those who know the quality of the contributions I do have. It's not like I am one of the journos on here that posts news and rumours all the time on a regular basis, I hardly ever have "inside info". I thought you guys might want to be enlightened. I should've known better. You're too stuck in your own desire to be validated in your opinions that being told you may be wrong could not possibly be acceptable...with or without evidence.

Roogsy, I know (and most regulars here know) that you have tons of worthwhile posts. It's also obvious that you believe your info to be valid.

The problem is, given the anonymous nature of this space, and the fact that it, imho, actually has some influence on the media, players, managers, these kinds of "facts" need to be bashed down. Because they're not facts, at least not in the way you're presenting them.

Don't divulge your source, fine, but then don't be surprised to get the treatment you're getting. I would hope others would do it to me if the shoe were on the other foot.

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 04:26 PM
He didn't sit on the bench because his wife thought it was too expensive in Toronto, whoever the hell said whatever to who.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I would hope that past history would be of some value here.

If I have ever posted somethings that has been shown to be discredited I would very much like to see it.

The treatment I am getting is fine. The problem I have is the deflection I am getting from the other side. I am posting info that I am personally guaranteeing is inside information. In other words, putting my personal reputation on the line. All I am asking is for the other side to give the reader some additional assurances that what they are stating isn't more than just mere speculation.

And if it is just speculation, then admit as much and recognize that inside information should normally carry more credible weight.

To me it's simply rational.

rocker
03-07-2009, 04:31 PM

What's your source for the statement that "Tebily became disenchanted"?

I don't know anything for certain about anything to do with Tebily. I don't even know if he was disenchanted. It's up to people to believe what they want to believe.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 04:32 PM
He didn't sit on the bench because his wife thought it was too expensive in Toronto, whoever the hell said whatever to who.

Nobody is ever happy riding the pine.

Could it have been a contributing factor in his leaving? Sure. Let's make that connection though or just admit it's speculation.

What if some anonymous guy came on here and stated that Tebily was told from the beginning he was going to have to fight for a starting position? How do we know that didn't happen? Especially since he got hurt! So many factors could have gone into the decision and yet we are concentrating solely on one? How do we not know he wasn't professional enough to endure sitting for a while until Carver thought he was ready? Some players don't have superegos.

ensco
03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
You are personally guaranteeing that you were told something. I accept 100% that you were.

As to the truth of what you were told, I'd just be speculating. There's a reason hearsay evidence is inadmissable in a court of law.

ensco
03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
What's your source for the statement that "Tebily became disenchanted"?

I don't know anything for certain about anything to do with Tebily. I don't even know if he was disenchanted. It's up to people to believe what they want to believe.

Read it again. I said it's easy to imagine.

This is a quality rainy Saturday afternoon shitstorm, btw

Pigfynn
03-07-2009, 04:36 PM
^^ about a player who is gone and never coming back no less.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 04:36 PM
You are personally guaranteeing that you were told something. I accept 100% that you were.

As to the truth of what you were told, I'd just be speculating. There's a reason hearsay evidence is inadmissable in a court of law.

Absolutely. But for one, we are not in a court of law. And two, hearsay is acceptable in other forums, including journalism.

Whether you believe hearsay is a different matter. But what you guys are avoiding is the ultimate question of this issue. What is more believable? Hearsay or speculation? You tell me.

Roogsy
03-07-2009, 04:38 PM
This is a quality rainy Saturday afternoon shitstorm, btw

LOL! True...

Meh...I am watching Hackers while I do this anyways...

Beach_Red
03-07-2009, 04:38 PM

The biggest problem with this is that he didn't go play anywhere else.

Robert signed almost immediately with a team in Greece.

It's just as likely that Tebily was looking for an easy retirement package and found out he'd actually have to play here and decided not to. If he really wanted to play, there are plenty of teams he could be playing for right now.

Nuvinho
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Can we talk about players who are here, or who may make the team instead?

Tebily had his reasons, we may never know what they are, so why assume.

Nuvinho
03-07-2009, 04:52 PM
So we have one spot remaining, do you think its gonna be Hall, or another player?

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Can we talk about players who are here, or who may make the team instead?

Sure go make a thread about them, and if it's more popular than this one, you'll have your wish.

Beach_Red
03-07-2009, 04:55 PM

The article on the TFC website did say: "Olivier has decided that he wanted to be closer to his family in France," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "We wish him all the best, and thank him for his contribution to Toronto FC."

it's here: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080731&content_id=176894&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

I don't know if the TFC site is a "reputable link," ;) but that was the official line at the time.

ensco
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
What is more believable? Hearsay or speculation? You tell me.

Well Aristotle, it depends on the hearsay!

Seriously, if it were Tebily or his wife who told you, that would have more credibility, for me, but if it were Carver, it would have zero credibility (for the simple reason that Carver would have major incentives to make it look like Tebily's departure had nothing to do with Carver's on-field decisions)

For the same reason, Beached Red, Mo's quotes on this are of limited value.

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Lets put the thread back into perspective shall we.

Tebily is a free agent.

If he were willing to return here, I would take him back in a second.

Who agrees with this and who disagrees with this and why?

Stating the guy 'has no passion so fuck him' is not answering the question.

djking2
03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Smokin' thread guys. I was gonna jump in here but nya I don't think so.

Blizzard
03-07-2009, 05:13 PM

I agree. Let's leave it that.

It's unfortunate though as he was the guy we needed in the back four, when healthy anyway.

If he plays out the season, we make the play-offs.

B

Beach_Red
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Well Aristotle, it depends on the hearsay!

Seriously, if it were Tebily or his wife who told you, that would have more credibility, for me, but if it were Carver, it would have zero credibility (for the simple reason that Carver would have major incentives to make it look like Tebily's departure had nothing to do with Carver's on-field decisions)

For the same reason, Beached Red, Mo's quotes on this are of limited value.

Sure, limited value, but the quote on the official TFC website could be where people are getting the idea Tebily left for family reasons - it's the official reason given. It may not be the truth, but it's the only reason that's ever been given anywhere.

And then, he never signed anywhere else. The team let him go - unconditionally - he could have signed with any other team in the world, even other MLS teams, and it seems unlikely Mo would have left himself open for that unless he was really sure the guy had no interest in playing again. If it was lack of playing time, I'm sure another team - the Galaxy maybe - would have given him plenty of playing time.

To answer ExiledRed, I'd say, yes, Tebily would be a great addition, but you gotta wonder, why hasn't he signed anywhere?

ensco
03-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd take him back in a flash

Same with Ronnie O, btw

Chevy
03-07-2009, 05:28 PM

You're right, but I think the point here is that nobody has heard from him since he left. WTF is he doing?

ensco
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
he never signed anywhere else. The team let him go - unconditionally - he could have signed with any other team in the world, even other MLS teams, and it seems unlikely Mo would have left himself open for that unless he was really sure the guy had no interest in playing again. If it was lack of playing time, I'm sure another team - the Galaxy maybe - would have given him plenty of playing time.

It does seem mysterious that he didn't catch on somewhere in France or Belgium or League 1, but it's brutal over there - once you're over 26 or 27, and there's no hope of selling you on, the lower division clubs won't look at you (unless you're already a fixture with the team)

As for the Galaxy, remember they were at the cap.

Beach_Red
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
It does seem mysterious that he didn't catch on somewhere in France or Belgium or League 1, but it's brutal over there - once you're over 26 or 27, and there's no hope of selling you on, the lower division clubs won't look at you (unless you're already a fixture with the team)

As for the Galaxy, remember they were at the cap.

The Galaxy were just the first team that came to mind with real defensive needs. But no other MLS team was interested? And no USL team? At the time I wondered if he'd sign with Montreal, at least there wouldn't be any language problems living there.

It really seems like he just retired. Maybe his injury was a lot more serious.

torontocelt
03-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Tebily was terrible at Celtic, absolute rubbish. I am surprised he managed to play at the level he has, I am not surprised to hear that he is now without a club.

Brooker
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
oh god roogsy get off your high horse. it's getting old.

Heathen
03-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Tebily was terrible at Celtic, absolute rubbish. I am surprised he managed to play at the level he has, I am not surprised to hear that he is now without a club.

he did ok for us, at defensive midifelder or right back though at centre halfhe was a disaster waiting to happen

Ontario Arab
03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Hes Pish we can do much better imho

Jeffro
03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
People want back a player that outright abandoned his team in the middle of the season?! Seriously?!?

That in itself speaks volumes about the man himself. The fact that he still has no team does as well.

s2cazz
03-08-2009, 03:26 PM

lets think it out here:
1 Wanted to leave for family reasons
2 is still a free agent

Hmmmnnn anyone ever think this poor guy could be having problems in his life or a family members life?...You really can't dog anyone for doing something based on doing what they think is right for his family... I'm sure that he wasn't just homesick considering he still isn't playing

Blizzard
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
lets think it out here:
1 Wanted to leave for family reasons
2 is still a free agent

Hmmmnnn anyone ever think this poor guy could be having problems in his life or a family members life?...You really can't dog anyone for doing something based on doing what they think is right for his family... I'm sure that he wasn't just homesick considering he still isn't playing

Agreed!

trane
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
He would be a great defender in this league, and if we could sign him he would. Even if he did not like Toronto, he never made a spectacle of it nor did he act inapropriatly. Therefore, I do not care to analyse his desire to play here. If he came back, and I see not reason why he would, I would expect him to stay for his contract, as he is now better aware of what he is getting himself into if he comes over.