PDA

View Full Version : BBC on Beckham's Impact on MLS

James17930
03-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Here's a good article showing that while Beckham was certainly helpful to MLS, he wasn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Also, check out the interview near the bottom with former MLS dep. commish Ivan Gazidis, whose now with Arsenal. He makes some really good points about MLS and soccer in N. America.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7912670.stm

Shakes McQueen
03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, that interview with Gazidis is filled with good information.

Left me feeling really confident about the future of our league, and it's an honest assessment from a guy who has first-hand knowledge of the sport's status here, and no need to be biased anymore.

- Scott

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Here's a good article showing that while Beckham was certainly helpful to MLS, he wasn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Also, check out the interview near the bottom with former MLS dep. commish Ivan Gazidis, whose now with Arsenal. He makes some really good points about MLS and soccer in N. America.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7912670.stm

What would of been if he actually played!:drinking:

billyfly
03-06-2009, 09:21 PM
No mention of us? :canada: For shame.

JDG
03-06-2009, 09:29 PM
No mention of us? :canada: For shame.

I'm sure we're one of the jigsaw pieces.

jloome
03-06-2009, 09:47 PM
If anyone wonder about the importance of decent (not earth shaking, just decent) journalism, consider how many outlets other than the BBC -- with its $8 billion tax-supported budget -- would have bothered writing that piece.

Again, however, he missed the most important factor of the Beckham connection (although Gazidis hinted at it with the hispanics comment): it drew out "dormant" MLS fans, soccer fans who love the sport but would only follow the "quality" leagues in England and Europe.

The Euro snobs had a reason to come to games.

But I agree with Gazidis that it's something of a snowball effect, if you consider how popular it already is in older nations than the U.S.: here's betting attendances are up in the USL this year because of the Montreal and Puerto Rico success in the champion's league. Not because anybody cares that much about the contest, simply because of the additional media exposure those games have drawn for each team.

mighty_torontofc_2008
03-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Beckham...??? he may have brought a few more people to the stadiums,but his impact is not as big as he hoped. He Could not do anything positive for the Galaxy other then sell seats and jerseys...the team itself became worse with him? nice impact!!

Shakes McQueen
03-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Beckham...??? he may have brought a few more people to the stadiums,but his impact is not as big as he hoped. He Could not do anything positive for the Galaxy other then sell seats and jerseys...the team itself became worse with him? nice impact!!

Beckham could have never even played a game with the Galaxy, and his impact still would have been as huge as it has been.

- Scott

Redcoe15
03-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, that interview with Gazidis is filled with good information.

Left me feeling really confident about the future of our league, and it's an honest assessment from a guy who has first-hand knowledge of the sport's status here, and no need to be biased anymore.

- Scott
But... but, Cathal Kelly and Bob McCown said the league was doomed to end now that Beckham was leaving! :rolleyes: :D

rocker
03-07-2009, 01:47 PM
i like the comment about how the Beckham effect can't be completely measured.
I agree. The Beckham effect was about an important thing called "public consciousness."
Many things raise public consciousness. Expansion raises it -- I knew nothing about MLS before TFC was awarded a franchise. Then I became aware and bought tickets.
There's people who know squat about soccer who know about MLS now, and think more positively about the league (these same people probably won't even really realize Beckham is gone soon....) I have friends who wanted to come out and see soccer, even though they really don't watch it regularly. It's because they heard of Beckham being in the league, so it must be top notch! ;)

THAT's the "Beckham effect." and it's more valuable than buying ads on billboards saying "MLS soccer." Beckham is a walking billboard who transcends nations, cultures, non-soccer fans.

Now with this consciousness in place, MLS can grow further. As Nicol says, it sped up that growth massively. It was a boost. Now, I think the next big boost will be to raise the cap and draw better signings to the league. Then you'll attract the snobs (if we want em ;) who already knew about MLS, but laughed cuz they thought Beckham wasn't that good and the league wasn't up to Euro standards. But if we start seeing really top notch players coming in, then you get that market of fans too.

Shakes McQueen
03-07-2009, 08:25 PM
But... but, Cathal Kelly and Bob McCown said the league was doomed to end now that Beckham was leaving! :rolleyes: :D

I actually generally like Bob McCown, and listen to his show every day - but it's also no secret that the guy doesn't know much about MLS.

And Cathal Kelly is just an idiot.

It's okay though, I accept McCown for what he is, even though I disagree with a lot of what he says. If you don't let your personal biases/opinions bother you, his show is pretty entertaining.

- Scott

zeelaw
03-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Man that graph is so mis-leading!